4.0 out of 5 stars Dry textbook but has some gems.
I am rating this book 4 stars (higher than it deserves) since it will get you to examine your trading ideas objectively and because it has key ideas that every trader must know. That being said, I must make the following points:

Published on February 17, 2007 by Patrick Doucette

2.0 out of 5 stars Open Your Wallets Traders (and buy a different book)
Published on February 6, 2007 by Barbara Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars Dry textbook but has some gems., February 17, 2007
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)

1) The book is unedited. You will read sentences similar to the following: "In this chapter we will look at a key strategy and then add it to what you read in the previous chapter and then later in the next chapter you will remember what you read four chapters ago, and add it chapter 8." Then there will be a sidebar that repeats this verbatim. The entire book could be written in a concise powerful 100 pager that would be an instant classic and sell a zillion copies. Instead, sadly, it will collect dust on shelves everywhere and look impressive in your library but not be read.

2) Key content is held back. You have to read fifty pages of nothing to get one sentence of value and then only a snippet of detail is given. Van Tharp is either too scared to commit his ideas to paper or wants to keep content available for his seminars or workshops (read high priced seminars & workshops).

To sum up: a dry, painful and depressing read; but one you must make to go to the head of the class and pass the exam.

If you want to pretend you read it, just say the following at your next cocktail party. "Yeah, position sizing is important. You can have a profitable system and still lose money like Van Tharp talks about in his book." That's it, I just just saved you 20 hours of reading torture; please send me a check in the mail.

2.0 out of 5 stars Open Your Wallets Traders (and buy a different book), February 6, 2007
Barbara Rose (BornToInspire.com) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
The book starts off with "the holy grail" analogy that most traders search for, with Joseph Campbell quoted to eloquently lure you in (that gets you nowhere) and then goes on to pitch to YOU - hooked from the title, to find that perfect strategy for "Financial Freedom" only to end up reading a sales pitch, followed by some more inner searching, that TRULY DO NOT help you with "Trading Your Way to Financial Freedom."

What burns me about this book is that there are people who will be suckered into buying every "home study course" "weekend workshop" (for two grand) "CD Series" and it's a domino effect when you're promised to learn what the title says, and that is NEVER DELIVERED!

Here are some quotes written by the author - you're smart, judge for yourself:

"I am not a full-time trader. I do manage my company's retirement funds, but I'm a full-time coach for traders and there is a big difference. If I were a full-time trader, that's all I'd be doing."

(Well, in my humble opinion, then what is the REAL MOTIVE for this book???)

"For more information about business planning, I strongly recommend our business planning CD series."

(Excuse me; are we trying to SELL something here?)

"What are your five biggest sources of internal conflict?. . . If you know the answer, just list all of your sources of conflict. You don't have to limit it to five. For each source of conflict, identify the part of you that is involved (see book three of the Peak Performance Course to learn more about parts) and what it's positive intention is for you."

(rakes you over the coals with "the Peak Performance Course" adds some psychobabble and then another sales pitch below with some more quotes to get you going in circles)

"If you cannot think of five sources of internal conflict, then answer the fol¬lowing questions, and you'll probably find lots.

What's your financial freedom number? If you don't know, why not? If you do know, what steps have you taken to move toward financial freedom? If the answer is none, why not? Do you want financial freedom? And if you don't know anything about financial freedom, then read the first section of Safe Strategies for Financial Freedom."

Now, HERE IS THE CLINCHER:

"First and foremost, I just want traders to know that it isn't hard to create a system that will generate 80R, which is 80% a year (if you risk 1%). The important part to realize is that every mistake that you make can cost you 2R, and your profits can just slip away. So the ultimate goal is to make as few mistakes as possible."

IF YOU HAVE AN IQ OF ABOUT 10, THE FINANCIAL FREEDOM TRADING ADVICE QUOTED BELOW should get you to buy into this:

"If you create a good system and do not make mistakes, you can make a decent living trading."

(Are you convinced now?)

Bottom line: There is no "holy grail" or "perfect" market strategy - trade for the love of it, leverage and diversify to keep your sanity and peace of mind. All this book does is try to sell you more products and services, the one thing it does NOT do is what the title says, and that is ENTIRELY MISLEADING - and THAT is what I"m so steamed about.

My personal book recommendations in the financial arena are: "Think and Grow Rich in Sixteen Lessons" by Napoleon Hill along with an updated version of the original "Think and Grow Rich" also by Napoleon Hill. Both are available here on Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will not lead you to financial freedom, January 6, 2007
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
I bought this book based on the positive reviews, but found it to be disappointing. The author's writing style is difficult to read and he contradicts himself. He tries to appeal to a large audience by illustrating how some successful investors/traders (e.g. Warren Buffett) will do things. However some of these superstar investors implement strategies that are the antithesis of what Tharp is trying to promote. For example, Buffett never uses stops nor position sizing. He skims through some areas superficially. If you want to find out more, you need purchase additional products on his website. At the end of the day even Tharp has had only limited success in his teachings. Forget it and save your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars NUTS AND BOLTS MISSING, September 2, 2007
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
Great theory, a stock that goes up 15 points will cover losses of 14 stocks that go down 1 point so control your losses and come out 1 point ahead. No practical information on how to set up a trading system, only generalizations. This is the same book this guy wrote 10 years ago.
Great suggestions like be like Warren Buffet. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a trading book . It's useless babble, September 16, 2009
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
This book came to me as great recommendation from several places . Compared with the posh title I thought this should be something spectacular . However , expectations are one thing , the facts another.
1.The reader may get a little confused at the beginning due to the overcomplicated language used by the author . Then at some point readers (at least some ) will start to realize that the author has tremendous potential of overcomplicating simple stuff and oversimplifying complex things.
2.The reader will have difficulties understanding what this book is about. Is it about traders as the posh title suggests? Or is it about investors ? and what kind of them ? short -term , long -term , value , growth ?The author just tried to pack in the book as much things as possible no matter what's the relevance of the material . How can a book that is supposedly about trading talk about W. Buffett? What has Buffett to do with trading for crise sake? How can you afford to talk such nonesense like value trading and so on...At the end the rEader will understand one thing- THIS BOOK IS NOT ABOUT TRADING .
3.The book is full of generalizations , contradictions and especially REPETITIONS. I will not delve into specific examples here but believe me you will read throughout the book all the same things and concepts served in different ways and talked with strange language . It looks like the author's aim was to make the book as thick as possible .
4.How can a guy that is not trading himself be one of the best trading coaches and write books about trading ? Only this question can arise plausible suspicion . I would never buy a book from people who are not traders themselves.
5 .Instead of wasting money and time on books written buy people whose only goal is to market their products people should start buying books from real traders . I would recommend reading some of Alexander Elder's which are top -notch books for trading .
6.The author is trying to sell all his products throughout this book . You will often stumble upon a statement which will announce something like this: If you want to know more buy my ....book. Excuse me are we writing a seriuos book or an advertisment pamphlet?
7.I know people pay a lot of money to trading coaches and thing like this . Would I trust this guy with my money ? Hell , no. What is going to teach me when he's not a trader ? Answer to that question before you put some serious money down the line .
8.The most annoying thing in the book (except everything aforementioned) is the always - to - be -right approach of the author . He will tell you how a trader came to him , he told him what to do but he didn't listen to him and failed and lost all of his money . How instructive!
9.Most of the paper is USELESS BABBLE .
10. Here is the iceberg -at the end of the book the author makes the stunning conclusion that everybody has to read his book at least 4-5 times. Is this guy nuts or is he really believing himself that his book is so great?
11.Judging by the reviews It's NO Wonder Why so Many Lose Money in the Markets
12.To Sum it up - DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT TRADING THEMSELVES. ONLY LOOK FOR PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT . THIS IS NOT A GOOD BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" for active traders., July 12, 2008
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
I'm of the opinion that reviews on stock trading books depend more on degree on the experience and outlook of the reviewer more than the book. At times this makes it difficult to figure whether a book is going to be relevant to me. So I'll describe myself a bit.

I have been investing in stocks for many years using the stock picks from one or two good sources. It's been a way to build retirement income in my spare time. I've been moderately successful, but nothing to brag about. In the past few years I've been gradually becoming more active in trading, making many trades a month and recently many per week. I'm considering trading as a living or at least a part-time income.

I've studied fundamental and technical analysis through literature, webs sites, some books, newsletters, and my broker's courses, though I don't pretend to be even close to being any sort of expert. Tharp's book is the first time I've seen what I would consider a fundamental "text book" on trading. It's not a book on how to pick stocks or entry points though the subjects are discussed in the context of an overall system.

Tharp has created a paradigm shift in my thinking. He walks you through all the elements of a successful trading system, including how to define and measure one and how to think about trading. He asks questions and gives practical examples so you get the ideas and the importance of the issues. He's careful to work through examples and explain himself better than any financial book I've read so far, though he does not explain some technical analysis terms. But they aren't necessary to getting the value of the book (and give you some good topics for your own research). I've been at it long enough to realize that he's pretty thorough in the issues he wants you to consider. He also dispels commonly accepted thinking that leads to poor performance (read "loosing money").

If you are looking for fast answers, a get rich scheme, or an algorithm that will tell you how to find winners, what to buy and when to buy it, then you will probably be disappointed - but in fact you may need the book more than you realize.

I wish I had read this book years ago. It would have corrected my understandings of what investment trading is all about and how to go about it. I particularly appreciated the detailed explanations of risk verses reward and position sizing. I have heard "risk vs reward" talked about in many places, but never had it explained in a way that I could use it.

His examples may seem belabored to some, but they helped cement the concepts into my mind. I found Tharp's personable style and stories made the book easy to read and helpful.

If you have been trading for years and are comfortable with it and make money, then you may not gain much from the book. To everyone else I recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best book on investing I have read so far...but, May 4, 2007
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
The author goes over all the parts necessary to get you to realize how important each part of your trading system is. I would say that beginning investors need to read this, just for the fact that he emphasizes things that are so important, yet are ignored in a lot of other books. This is a value in hardcover. However, this book did not set me on the path to financial freedom. NOBODY can predict the future. There is no guarantee you will come out ahead in the markets. Luck and real learning experiences are the only help in life, not this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, July 9, 2007
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
Seems like most of the complaints about this book have to do with the idea that it doesn't lay out some perfect trading system. No book can do that. It does, rather, what it's supposed to do and help you develop the proper mindset to develop a system of your own. I think it does this very well. I truely think it's in a class by itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be Fooled by the positive reviews of this book, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
I spent a lot of money on Van's products and seminars (I was suckered out of about $8,000 by Van Tharp). There is an unrealistic message in Van's material: if you just get the right attitude (through buying his products and services), then you can profit like Ed Thorp or George Soros or Dave Druz or someone of their ilk.

The fact of the matter is that most people are average, like me, and will never have the skill necessary (i.e. intelligence, emotional makeup, etc) to beat the markets. It doesn't make any difference how hard most people work at becoming a successful professional trader; 95% or more who try, will fail. The profit distribution in trading is such that a few people make almost all of the money, while a vast majority either lose, break even, or win a little (if they are lucky). I don't know what the exact statistics are regarding winners vs. losers in the state lottery, but I'm willing to venture a guess that a person is more likely to win the lottery for millions of dollars, than they are to make good profits being a private trader.

If we could gather the hard data of all the people who have ever purchased Van's products and/or services over the years, I am extremely confident that the number of people who are successful at trading/investing is very low. And of the people who are successful, it has nothing to do with Van Tharp: they were either successful already (prior to buying anything from Van), or would have been successful regardless of Tharp.

I have been punched in the face by the markets many times. Trading is very difficult. After much experience I now know that it is best to approach the markets being really honest with yourself and have "realistic expectations" about what is probable in terms of profit; not day-dreaming about pulling an Ed Seykota and turning $5,000 into $15,000,000 in 15 years of trading. It was only after I removed all of Van's ideas from my thinking that I have become relatively successful and rebuild my financial assets.

Van Tharp's material is dangerous (seriously)! Buyer beware. When I first started trading and learning about the markets I was naive; I didn't realize that some people will do anything to make a buck. Van Tharp and the people he tends to team up with (i.e. Robert Kiyosaki, Steve Sjuggerud, Chris Weber, etc) pray upon people's ignorance and greed. What they do isn't illegal, but that doesn't make it right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Let the Title Mislead You, May 25, 2007
Bill Thomas (San Antonio TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (Hardcover)
While Mr. Tharp could well have chosen a title for his book that does not suggest a "get-rich quick" scheme, the material presented within is solid and not often discussed in the many books that are out there on trading the markets. He emphasizes the need to define exits more intentionally than a trader might determine entry into a position (in fact, he even suggests that random entry might not be an entirely irresponsible strategy). His detailed explanation of defining one's risk in a trade and determining what the expectancy is for that trade brings a new and much-needed dimension to the world of trading literature.

Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Van K. Tharp (Hardcover - December 13, 2006)
$34.95 $22.76