Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 25, 2005
The book contains "recipes for 100 of the restaurant's best loved tropical cocktails like the Samoan Fog Cutter, Potted Parrot, and of course, The Original Mai Tai, invented by Trader Vic himself in 1944." (summary from Buch Gourmet)
This has some terrific ideas for outdoor parties. Think of having a luau and how much fun it would be. Besides drink recipes, the book has nibbles. How does Crab Rangoon, Cha Siu Pork or Crispy Prawns sound? With this book, you are ready for Polynesian-style entertaining.
on June 14, 2014
I tend to approach restaurant cookbooks with a degree of caution, as I've found in the past many can lack adequate testing for the home kitchen. It seems the writers often don't scale down the ingredients properly; one of most glaring instances I've seen is a book that called for 3 tablespoons of cayenne for a small batch of BBQ sauce...

It's nice to find that (at least so far) this is not a problem with the Trader Vic'd Tiki Party book. I've tried several recipes and they are all excellent. As another review pointed out, the onion marmalade recipe lacks directions on how to prepare the onions (I think you could chop or slice them), but that really isn't too big an error. If you are interested, these are the recipes tried so far:
Chicken Curry--excellent (be sure to do the condiments! My daughters particularly liked the bananas.)
Jalepeno Cheese Balls--frying always makes me a little nervous, but oh my these were good)
Savoury Dipping Sauce--Tasty
Wasabi Remoulade--Superb! (I used store bought crab cakes)
Hawaiian Pork--Really good (had trouble rolling them, so just served in slices topped by:)
Onion Marmalade--delicious (I suggest thinly slicing the onions)
Peanut Dipping Sauce--Very Good (used it with vegetables; note it is not sweet)
Mai Tai--I'm not an expert tropical drinks guy, but it tastes great to me!!
So, so far so good with this one. When I read the reviews, it seemed a lot of people had read and enjoyed the book--and it is a very enjoyable read--but had not tried the recipes. I have tried a few and am very pleased! Note there are dozens of drink recipes also, along with many, many tips on how to throw a fun tiki party. I've found the suggestions really inspiring.
One little negative note: there is a good deal of pushing Trader Vic's products, which I find a little exasperating. It simply might be the nature of a cookbook like this. In the end it's a pretty minor quibble.

Highly recommended!
on September 3, 2006
By Bill Marsano. Trader Vic's Tiki Party!: Cocktails & Food to Share with Friends," by Stephen Siegelman, is perfect for retro theme parties. Trader Vic, with his famous rival Don the Beachcomber, ushered in the Tiki Bar Era of American partying, which centered mainly on the 1950s and 1960s (which of these two men actually invented the Mai Tai, signature drink of the epoch, remains in dispute--both claim it.) Those were days of restaurants blanketed with faux-Polynesian decor, when pupu platters were the rage and drinks came in bowls serving four or more and were decorated with paper umbrellas, which folks later learned to call parasols. Relive that glorious and joyously ridiculous time with this collection of tropical cocktails and food recipes for everything from finger food to entrees. The recipes are interesting, mostly pretty easy to make, and generally fun to eat or drink. The photos are very nice but the main appeal is that the recipes are clearly presented and easy to follow.--Bill Marsano is an award-winning writer on wines and spirits.
on June 7, 2013
Growing up my favorite restaurant was called the Lanai and was in San Mateo, CA, an hour or so away from the original Trader Vic's. I feasted on wonderful Chinese BBQ ribs, curries and other interesting fare such as "Soo Soo Chicken." And once I was old enough to drink, exotic cocktails such as a Sidewinders Fang, Bamboo Bomber and Zombies were perfect accompaniments to the food. My last visit was during my bachelor party in 1983, and shortly thereafter we relocated out of state. Many years later, during a business trip, I hoped to re-visit the Lanai, but sadly it had been torn down and replaced by a video rental store......what a terrible waste. I've always missed the wonderful escapism that Tiki cuisine represents, and was delighted to discover this book while perusing Amazon during a slow day at work. Within the pages, you'll find great drink recipes (some I can vouch for already!) and a lot of tasty sounding finger foods as well, though I haven't yet had my first full scale Tiki party yet to try them out. If you've ever been to and enjoyed a Tiki restaurant, I'm sure you'll like this book.
on February 25, 2016
Neat piece of history - may Tiki never die!

Matter of fact, we should try to re-capture some of the good of the 50s - (one man earns the family income, jobs are protected, overseas business is tariffed or taxed, the rich have up to a 90% tax break)

A book like this is a good basic layout for having your own Luau - Americanized with loving cultural appropriations. Good fun time and professional level quality recipies but easy to prepare with simple setup. Basic cooking/home bar equipment. The liquor could end up quite a scavanger hunt, so those drinks should be planned, but again tons of giant party mixes!
on January 14, 2016
We bought this as a gift for friends of ours after they had loved the drinks that we had made them from our copy. This is a great book containing traditional and non traditional cocktails both single serving and bowl sized. We have yet to find one that we have not enjoyed and the party food that is included in the book it simple and tasty.

There are great images and plenty of back story to make this book a lot of fun for those who love a cocktail of an evening
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2009
Since it's rather impossible to go to a Trader Vic's and not be hooked on the Tiki lifestyle, I was sort of expecting that this book would be cheesy and have a few recipes and the like to keep fans happy. Boy was I wrong: Pretty much the entire Trader Vic's drink and appetizer menu is spelled out in here, and it'll keep you in the kitchen experimenting with the menu (and the cocktails, of course.)

The menu is simple enough that even inept people in the kitchen like me thinks that they can handle the menu. The drink menu is simple enough, and it's something you'll want to immediately want to tackle with the Trader Vics Mai Tai Mix, 33.8-Ounce Plastic Bottle (Pack of 2). You really can't go wrong with this book, although the amazing accessories and glassware that goes with the drinks are pricy. Still, if you want to host a tropical party in winter weather, start with this book.
on April 17, 2012
There are many books out there with a few Tiki cocktail recipes in them but few delve into the culture of Tiki. I'm a closet Tiki drinker with a Hawaiian shirt collection who will host a party in the back yard every once in awhile and this book is my go-to guide. The drink and food recipes here are easy and fun with room for tweaks of your own. There are many guides, how-to's and side notes on techniques and recipes. You can become quite the amateur bartender/cook/host. The cultural references and history inside clear up a lot of myths on what a Tiki drink is and how the one you are typically getting at you local bar and restaurant may not be it. The only thing I have to say that keeps this item from getting a 5-star rating is that it has a little too many references to Trader Vic's Brand products. His bar and restaurants are some of the best out there but I'd stay away from his pre-made mixes in the recipes and just stick to making everything from scratch.
on April 28, 2014
I think this would be a good guide if you were having a small gathering.
The recipes were more elaborate than I'd do for a large party which was what I was planning.
I used one of the punch recipes, but looked elsewhere for recipes that were more suitable to mass production.
If you were having a really fancy large party with a lot of time and a team to prepare the items it might work.
on July 3, 2010
I bought this book for my Dad for Father's Day so he can use it to make drinks for his tiki bar. He was thrilled with the drink and food recipes and really liked the behind the scenes stories for making tiki bars, drinks, and food. Great gift!