5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Every Classroom
Published on June 11, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Beyond a Step Five
The content provided in the book is informative. However, it is too advanced for a second or third grader to read independently. The child must have a background knowledge in several different areas, as well as a very strong vocabulary, before reading. The content of the book lends itself better to older children (junior high) that are learning about or have an...
Published on June 18, 2005 by Teacher

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Every Classroom, June 11, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
This is a truly outstanding, well written book. My daughter at the age of 7 read this with ease. She was able to discuss Seuoyah, John Ross, Andrew Jackson, and Thomas Jefferson with me. She had an accurate understanding of the Traii of Tears, the Indian Removal Bill, and even was able to discuss how the Cherokee Alphabet came about. The best part was she and I both enjoyed the book. This book would make a great gift for a teacher in grades 2 - 4 or any one wanting to learn more about the Trail Of Tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tragic Story, August 8, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
This is a history book of the "trail of tears." This book has a very good lesson: a lesson of hope and courage. This book also had three interesting facts. Sequoya invented an alphabet for the Cherokee language and his daughter was the first to use it. The Cherokees had to give up their land to the whites, and had to make a 1200 mile trip. It took them many months and over 4000 people died. The Whites wouldn't let them search for gold, either, even though there was gold in the water.

I liked the book. The pictures were specific and detailed and helped me understand the text better. I would recommend this book to other Cherokees who want to know more about their ancestors, and to anyone interested in learning more about Cherokee, especially I they are 8 and older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great illustrations, August 7, 2008
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
This book is written for grades 2-4 but is an interesting read for older children as well. Not only does it encourage your child to extend their vocabulary but also endorses history. This short story explains what the Trail of Tears was, defines the Indian removal policy, and introduces John Ross, Thomas Jefferson, Sequoyah, Andrew Jackson, and Tsali in a way that is easy to comprehend.
As the Trail of Tears; this is an heart wrenching true story that all children of all races should read. I found myself struggling to control my voice which was on the verge of tears as I read to my five year old who was touch dramatically by the sorrowful pictures. I also noticed that my children remained attentive engrossed in this tragic event of their forefathers. I think that other children, even those not of the red race, would also settle down and desire to read in hopes of learning about the infamous event that touches so many people's hearts.
It is a wonderful idea to introduce young children to other "American cultures" and American history early.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than More Difficult Books, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
I needed a book for my ESOL students that wouldn't be too difficult in reading or understanding but would offer a sophisticated and thorough way of telling the story of the Trail of Tears. This book does that job. It conveys a lot of sophisticated information that my students need to know along with an easy reading level and respectful story about the hardship of Native Americans. Best book I know of for children on the Trail of Tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars a story we all need to remember, November 6, 2010
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
This story isn't one of the proudest moments in our history, but it is something we need to come to terms with--and it is a good thing to remember when we accuse other countries around the world of violating the human rights of their citizens. Isn't it time that we took a serious look at what we have done to and for the Native Americans?

4.0 out of 5 stars Children love it, February 15, 2009
Brenda Davis (Tulsa, Ok. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
My 9 year old grand daughter wanted to know more about the Cherokee.
I explained what I know- but the book brought the vision more clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can always trust Joseph Bruchac, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
The Trail of Tears is a big, sad subject; for many American children, it may be totally unfamiliar. However, Joseph Bruchac presents the information clearly, in easy vocabulary with plenty of illustrations. The pages are not more than half covered in text, and the print is large. 2nd grade is not too young to understand what is written here.

Good maps. The book even presents information about Sequoyah and the Cherokee alphabet, setting the stage that the Cherokee were settled and "civilized" people in the eyes of most of their white neighbors.

Some Cherokee phrases are included in the book, making it even more meaningful and useful. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., April 19, 2014
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
Great book for a sad part of American history. My students enjoyed the version and compared and contrasted with We Shall Remain video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trail of Tears by Joseph Bruchac, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) (Paperback)
Social Studies teachers throw out your text books and use great pieces of literature to teach with like Trail of Tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging, March 6, 2014
This book really made you think about the hardships the Native Americans dealt with. It also made me very grateful for the life I have.

Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5)
Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) by Joseph Bruchac (Paperback - September 21, 1999)
$3.99 $3.59