Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on August 31, 2012
I absolutely loved this story, probably enough to have given the story itself 5 stars. I have not been cought and truly touched by a story in a long time. I really loved the characters. I could even live with the not quite so period language, there was a "like" thrown in there somewhere ("like, you should comeover...YIKES) One thing ruined the book for me though; the ending and the Epilogue.

(Caution Spoilers)

The story was sooooooo good, but then the ending falls flat. I wanted to have more conversation and interation with the hero/heroine of the story at the end. I wanted to hear some dialogue of how they finally come to forgive and understand and accept one another in the. I guess I wanted an intimate sweet reunion to finish of the story. But when they finally get home and are together, you don't even get a bit of words or talk or discussion. Basically the last thing you remember the guy saying to the girl, "get naked for me." REALLY!!!??? After investing in all those wonderful pages of warm stories and great interaction and dialogue, all she could come up with was a half hearted sex scene where the hero says "get naked for me?"!!!!!!!! I was left sorely wanting and I HATE that.

I actually highly reccomend reading this book, with the premise, only skim the first bit with Julia and her family, and then SKIP THE EPILOGUE!!! I think I would have prefered to be left wanting rather than completely annoyed and left wanting at the end. It was almost as if the author realised that she knew something was missing at the end of the book, but instead of writing more dilogue or flushing out more interaction she thought, oh well, lets just have them jump into bed in a final quick and crass bed scene, just to finish things off...
on April 19, 2012
Very few books have gotten me to care so deeply about the characters and their story that their pain literally brought me to sobs, but this story did just that. I loved Jake and Julia from the beginning and found them to be engaging and easy to relate to. This story pulls you in relentlessly all the way through to the very end. I loved this story! I look forward to reading Romancing Olive and hope to see more titles by this author in the future!
on April 22, 2012
Holly Bush knows how to spin a story. In 1887, Julia Crawford has little prospects for marriage and lives in the shadow of her attractive sisters and domineering mother. Told for years that she is not as pretty or thin as her sisters and having had an indiscretion which the family hid well, she felt she had no choice but to run away and marry a man she had been corresponding with. By mishap, she ends up marrying the wrong man - who actually ends up being the perfect match for her. But Julia has left a secret behind her and soon decides she must right a wrong from years before and do the honorable thing.

Train Station Bride is a beautiful tale of love, family and redemption. Ms. Bush does an excellent job of bringing the reader back to a time period now lost to us where decency, honor and truth prevail. Her characters are well-thought out and believable to the point that you feel like you know them personally. The settings are described with enough detail (but without boring, lengthy description) that you can easily picture the grand home in Boston or the charming farmhouse in South Dakota. I could smell the bread baking in the oven and hear the corn stalks rustling in the field. Train Station Bride is the perfect historical romance.
on January 24, 2013
Ok I agree with most of the other reviewers on this page, the book was really found yourself rooting for Julia all along the way.........and then the book just stops. This could have been a longer book without a problem and possibly had a sequel.........there were enough interesting characters. Jake was an all around good guy, ya just had to love him. So here is my plea to Holly......

Make your books much longer, use all the characters to their full advantage.......tell us what happens to Jillian and how she grows up ........take us back to Boston to see how her family fares after they lose Jillian......we are readers who want to know.........tell us about the baby that Julia and Jake are getting ready to have and the impact on Jake having his first child.

Write more.........please.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2012

Because I just finished a grad program, its been a while since I was able to read for reading sake. I'm new to the historical western genre and its abundantly clear that quality stories are few and far between. The story of Jake and Julia drew me in from the start. It became clear that this was unlike most of the historical westerns that I have read.

If you are looking for a twist on the typical this is the novel for you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2012
I stumbled upon Holly Bush's books one day looking for something to read, and I am so glad I did.

This book is full of romance and emotion. The herione is not the typical perfect woman, with the perfect body. And sometimes you just want to kick the hero's backside!

There is only one problem, once you start reading it, you can't put it down. So start it on a weekend!

You'll also love Romancing Olive - another great story from Holly.
on April 19, 2012
I adored this book! It was so well written and I could not put it down! The characters are very well developed and a very nice hero who isn't dark, brooding or unlikeable--Jake was likable from the get go! And Julia? She found strength she didn't know she had. Just a beautiful story with nice plot twists! I do look forward to reading more from Holly! I've not got her on my top 6 most favorite authors list. She's up there with Carmen Caine, Laurin Wittig and Amanda Forester!
on August 16, 2012
At twenty-seven Julia Crawford feels like it is long past time to make a life for herself. As the second born child in a wealthy Boston family, she often feels like her mother thinks of her as a failure, and often reminds Julia that she is nothing like her sisters, who are tall and thin whereas Julia is short and plump. Her family takes great stock in marrying someone within their station and have been trying to match Julia with an undesirable man. Unbeknownst to them though Julia has been corresponding with a man in Cedar Ridge, South Dakota, and has come up with a ruse so that she can travel there to marry him and take care of his elderly mother.

Jake Shelling feels like its time to be married. His parents died when he was sixteen so he put his time and efforts into raising his sisters and making their farm profitable. Now though at the age of 35 he wants a wife, and not just any wife, he wants a strong capable woman, who can give him a son,and be a help. His solution is a mail order bride from Sweden, and he is expecting her on the next train. When a mix up at the train station has him marrying Julia instead of his mail order bride what will they do.

"Train Station Bride" was a book I just couldn't put down. I actually read it in a few hours because I became smitten with the characters and had to know how things would play out. I really could understand why Julia wanted to break away from her family, her older sister and mother were awful. Their constant ridicule had given Julia such a distorted self image of herself. It was so nice to see her blossom and become the woman she was meant to be. The secret that she was carrying was an unexpected twist that I didn't see coming, and I felt like it added another layer to an already great plot. Jake was an honorable character, and he really got much more than he bargained for. The author did an excellent job of providing plenty of detail without bogging down the story. I really enjoyed reading this story, and while Ms. Bush provides a satisfying ending I hope that perhaps she may give us another story with the character of Jillian. Overall a fantastic historical romance, with wonderfully developed characters and a story that I hated to see end. Ms. Bush has certainly gained a new fan here! Highly recommended!
on December 5, 2014
Among the hundreds of mediocre self-published authors a reader can find a gem, a truly talented writer. This is Holly Bush. Regardless of the genre, western historicals, regencies or contemporaries her writing is very entertaining. Her books are much better than many of the books printed by publishing houses with famous names. I look forward for her next book and hope is going to be a western.
on July 30, 2014
Once again a book that has taken me back to a simpler time. I love thus kind if book. Love and romance but no sex! Or, what us there lets your imagination do the work. I'm old enough to know how all that works and don't need to be told. This was a very please t read. In fact, it rained all day today and I never noticed. I just read and nibbled cheese and enjoyed myself. :-)