Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 6, 2000
I think that this book is the finest book (to date) on coaching the female athlete at the highest levels. In my time as a NCAA Div. II women's soccer coach, a girls high school coach, and premier level girls soccer coach, I have found Dorance's theories and models to be highly useful. This is NOT a book for the recreational coach. The focus of the book is the philosophy and foundation of creating soccer champions.
Anson's insight into the mind of the female athlete is not only clear and concise but, it is uncanny as well. I have found the ideas in his book have led me to a better understanding of my own players. This understanding has helped me form a consistant winning program where ever I have coached.
I would highly recommend this book to any individual who is looking for more theory and philosophy to coaching. This book is not a daily practice guide with drills and games, rather it is an excellent source for building a successful women's soccer program.
on December 13, 2000
I've only coached men's college teams, but I'm convinced Anson's principles represent a foundation for the future of coaching -- for athletes of either sex. Competition is fun and practices need to be fun. The days of drill sergeant as coaching model are over.
Kids from most countries now have hundreds of choices in terms of different sports and entertainment. Every minute of practice needs to be fun or they'll do something else. And it's only going to get worse.
Obviously the "competitive caldron" can create women's US college soccer champions (UNC won the title again in 2000), but it may also be our best chance to lure the upcoming Sega generation into team sports.
on May 5, 2000
I am not a soccer coach. This book was recommended to me by a volleyball coaching mentor. He recommended it and said it was the best coaching book he had ever read.... I agree.
There is not doubt why Anson Dorrance is one of the best soccer coaches in the world. His insights into success with female athletes is extremely helpful and I recommend this book to anyone who wants to be a better coach, period.
on December 13, 2000
This book is an excellent guide for ways to develop your soccer team and take them to a new level. This is more for advanced coaches, but I think beginning coaches can utilize these techniques also. Covers great program building techniques for youth boys and women of all levels. Great resource for all soccer coaches.
on February 12, 2014
This is by far and away the best I've read. I've been taking notes on ideas I've liked about Dorrance's coaching style and have filled up pages with amazing ideas and quotes. I completely understand why Dorrance and UNC soccer are responsible for such unparalleled success. This is truly an inspirational book and should be required reading for any coach of any sport looking to learn from the best.

It is particularly relevant for those coaching women in not just providing historical context of women’s soccer but the psychology of how to motivate, train, and position them for winning soccer.
on September 4, 1997
Anson delves deeply into the psychology of competition which is applicable to all athletes and all forms of competition in life. He is able to clearly and concisely describe these theorums which I always knew were true but was never able to properly describe. The beauty of this book is that the reader not only develops a new appreciation for the competitions we all must participate in during our lifetimes, but the aspiring soccer coach learns a great deal about his chosen sport. Two for the price of one
on January 3, 2015
Highly recommend this book for any girl playing travel soccer at a high level, and/or their parents. The dedication and committment of the girls in the UNC program is extreme. Players will find this book to be very motivational.
on December 7, 1998
this is an insightful no nonsense guide to coaching advanced players, high school age and above, female and male. Although Dorrance is best known for coaching the outrageously successful womens team at University of North Carolina, his experience with mens teams allows this book to relate to both sexes. I found his approach to quantifying all aspects of practice, which the book explains in great detail, most innovative. The chapters on fitness, off-season training, competitiveness, and team chemistry are particularly helpful to the coach looking to produce an edge for his or her team. The chapter on field organization, I thought, was a most concise and insightful approach to this subject. Dorrance does a better job of putting into words the mystique and creative force of soccer than any other coach and/or author that I have read.
on December 31, 1998
I have always been interested in the mental side of sports. This book is excellent for bridging the gap that exists between the physical and mental sides of the game. A must read.
on May 30, 2014
Simply a great book on coaching. Whatever sport. Anson does a fine job helping coaches motivate young people. Love how he doesn't care about the politically incorrect correctness. Women are wonderfully made different and men also different.