5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, Phenomenal & Astounding......
Published on January 17, 2003 by C. Pollanen

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for the DVD, 5 stars for TSO
I agree with the other reviewers. TSO is magic. Plain and simple. But this DVD is, well, an extended music video.
There's a big difference. Let me try to explain it to you.
I saw TSO in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on December 2. It was a sold out show and I was sitting second row center.
Words can't even begin to describe the emotions I experienced that night...
Published on December 6, 2001 by Just Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, Phenomenal & Astounding......, January 17, 2003
This review is from: Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve (DVD)
Trans-Siberian Orchestra. One great band, one amazing concept. This DVD contains music taken from the bands first two albums. (Christmas Eve and Other Stories & The Christmas Attic.) The DVD contains a nice mix of the bands original music + a great little story intertwined to go along with it. The story is that of a run-away girl who, to escape the cold one night enters an abandoned theater. Inside she meets The Caretaker, played by Ossie Davis. While inside he introduces her to an amazing show only the likes of angels (actually the spirits and ghosts of the theater) could have performed. The show is that of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. In the act they are joined by Jewel singing "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," and by Michael Crawford singing "O Holy Night." The Caretaker uses the imagery of the show to help the girl to change her life. Such songs as "Good King Joy," "Music Box Blues," "This Christmas Day," and "Christmas Canon" are performed to wonderful amazement. As well, on some songs the band is joined by a beautiful children's choir. Hearing them alone will bring a tear to your eye. Some complain about the length of the DVD. Sure, it may only be 46 minutes long, but it is a 46 minute adventure that is well worth it. The disc lacks in the special feature area, but there is a complete discography and a bonus track; the `Timeless Version' of "Christmas In Sarajevo." I highly recommend this DVD. The T.S.O. have done an excellent job of telling a story while showing the kind of music they produce. The tale is heart-warming, the music is emotionally intense and this is one DVD that is good any time of the year. And the best part is that you can share with others besides the ghosts on Christmas Eve.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for the DVD, 5 stars for TSO, December 6, 2001
Just Bill (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
There's a big difference. Let me try to explain it to you.
Words can't even begin to describe the emotions I experienced that night. I was awed. I was captivated. I was stirred. I was in tears. I was transported to another world, a magical world of beauty, joy, passion -- did I say magic? The word that best describes what I experienced is "magic."
A TSO CD is mesmerizing all on its own. But a TSO performance is an unbelievable experience.
This DVD -- The Ghost of Christmas Eve -- falls somewhere in between. It's all the music with none of the magic.
Maybe that's too harsh. Maybe it's all of the music with SOME of the magic.
This DVD is part on-stage performance (lip sync'd) and part movie. It's the story of a young woman looking to get home on Christmas, helped by a kindly caretaker (Ossie Davis). The caretaker shows the girl a Christmas performance that captivates her heart and mind (naturally, it's TSO that appears on stage in what was an empty auditorium).
Paul O'Neill, the director of this and producer of TSO and Savatage albums, is brilliant. He has the ability to capture the feeling of Christmas magic and set it to music.
But this effort is far too tame, too flat, to do justice to what TSO has to offer.
Don't get me wrong. This is really fun to watch. But if Paul really wants to stir his audience he'd simply film the band live -- the entire show from start to finish -- and let the performance speak for itself. I would pay hundreds of dollars to see a DVD of the performance I attended. And I'm sure there are many others like me out there.
So until an actual, real, magical TSO performance is filmed, this DVD will have to do. But it's a pale imitation of the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Manheim Steamroller, December 12, 2002
By A Customer
I know a lot of people like Manheim Steamroller, but in my opinion, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is a lot better. I went to
see them in Dayton on November 24th and they know how to put on a
show. This video brings back memories of that concert. From the
beautiful Jewel singing "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" to the Broadway legend Michael Crawford singing "O Holy Night", the only
flaw in this video is that it's too short. It's over before you want it to be. Ossie Davis did a great job as the caretaker and the lovely Allie Sheridan did a good job as the runaway girl. All the smiles she had on her face as she watched TSO remind me of the smiles I had watching them perform in concert. This video
is a must have for anyone who loves rock and roll and Christmas music. The video also features the breakthrough music video of
Christas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24. I was almost in tears during the song "This Christmas Day". I highly recommend this video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the DVD for great Christmas music, December 7, 2005
This is a great DVD. I love it. It is better than their live performance. How can this be when other reviewers say they don't compare? Well that's just it, they don't. Let me explain.

I attended TSO's live concert in Portland Oregon. First, know that there are TWO TSO orchestras! According to a TSO spokesperson, their concerts were so popular they split the band in two and created two orchestras so they could give more concerts. This is not necessarily bad, just interesting.

Above all else, TSO is a hard rock band with a heavy metal bent. They perform what is called symphonic rock. But for their traveling band they have only one lead violinist and pick up extra strings locally, and they have no children's choir. In the Portland show the total symphonic component was only about seven or eight strings, mostly violins, which were mostly drowned out by the guitars and keyboards. Their DVD contains a much larger symphonic orchestra with brass and other instruments besides strings.

Their live show is a rock concert. Period. That means very, very, ear-damagingly loud sound popular at rock concerts. Still, their show is very good. The laser light show is excellent and you don't get this on the DVD. Live shows have an energy, enthusiasm, and atmosphere you just can't get on a DVD. So why is the DVD better?

· Better sound mixing. The symphonic element plays a greater role and you can actually hear it distinct from the guitars and keyboards.
· Better sound quality, if you have a good quality 5.1 sound system. You can play it at your choice of volume level and hear the various components, including the vocals, more clearly and distinctly than at the live show. This DVD begs to be played loudly.
· Better (or at least more) talent in the form of Michael Crawford (O Holy Night), Jewel Kilcher (Hark the Herald Angels Sing,) Tony Gaynor (Good King Joy,) and Daryl Pediford (Music Box Blues.)
· You have a front row seat.
· You can watch it anytime and as many times as you want.

The DVD is a music video. If you're looking for a "Christmas movie" you're better off with "A Wonderful Life" or "A Christmas Story." This DVD does have a story line but it is weak, undeveloped, and not believable, but who cares? It provides a nice thread to tie the songs together and also manages to elicit a tear or two at the end. Ossie Davis does a wonderful job as the "caretaker" narrating the story.

In the live concert the female singers especially do what I call "shout-singing." This effect has its place but you always give up musical quality when you shout instead of sing. The DVD has pure and beautiful singing, no shouting.

Michael Crawford's "O Holy Night" (not performed in the live show) with the children's choir is the most powerful and moving rendition of this song I have ever heard anywhere, bar none. Play it loud and try not to be moved! It's more powerful than Josh Groban's version, and I like Josh. It is worth having this DVD just for this performance alone. But wait, there's more.

The DVD also contains TSO's wonderful signature masterpiece piece, "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24.)" This is a high energy, powerful variation of "Carol of the Bells." They perform this in their live show of course, but the stronger symphony presence makes the DVD version far superior. It's wonderful and worth having this DVD just for this performance alone. But wait, there's still more. (I sound like Ron Popiel pitching his Showtime rotisserie oven!)

You also get TSO's other signature piece, the incredibly beautiful "Christmas Canon" based on Pachabel's "Canon in D." They don't do this version in their live show either. They perform a rock version that is barely recognizable. It's worth having this DVD just for this performance alone, also.

So bottom line? Go to a live performance of TSO for a good and fun rock concert. Buy the DVD for great Christmas music and show the whole family will enjoy for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Upon this night, it is never too late", December 23, 2005
It doesn't matter how many times I watch this (and I watch it at least five or six times every December), those words, shown on a note the wonderful Ossie Davis as The Caretaker leaves for the lonely runaway he finds seeking refuge in the abandoned theater, make me tear up EVERY time! That's how powerful this little gem of a Christmas story/music video is. Like many TSO fans, I became mesmerized by their majestic "Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24" when it first hit the airwaves in the late 1990s, and was further enamored of the full length album "Christmas Eve and Other Stories". I bought the DVD when I first saw it at the store, not really knowing what to expect. It was the best gift I ever bought for myself.

Other reviewers have outlined the story; I'll just make a few comments on the performances. Of course, TSO's music is a HUGE part of the magic, but Ossie Davis and Allie Sheridan, as the Caretaker of an abandoned theater and the teen runaway for whom he summons the Ghosts of Christmas Eve to teach her about "what Christmas really means" are brilliant in their virtually silent performances (Ossie does provide a beautiful voiced-over narration in that fabulous voice of his). Another standout performance is given by Tommy Farese of TSO, in "This Christmas Day", a passionate prayer of thanks from a father for the return of his long lost daughter (I love that man's voice! I can't help wishing that the equally moving "Ornament" had been included here as well). His passionate stage performance is interspersed with scenes of the runaway finally making her way home. (When she opens the front door on her parents and throws herself in their arms, the Kleenexes come out again.)

"The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve" is now a treasured holiday tradition at my house. I've given it as a gift to many friends, hoping to make it one at theirs as well. Upon this night, it is never too late.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trans Siberian Orchestra - Ghost of Christmas Eve, December 10, 2002
"tgkthunder" (Strongsville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
The Ghost of Christmas Eve by the Trans Siberian Orchestra is the best by far! They say music has power and boy does this DVD! It tells a wonderful, inspirational story of life, love, forgiving, christmas and all the wonders Christmas has. While you watch the story unfold you listen to the most powerful, and inspirational and wonderful christmas music I have listened to in a long while. It makes you want to watch again and again. Sure to become a Christmas favorite. I want to give everyone that I know this DVD. (If I could) It truly reaches to the depths of your soul. I cried at the end. Which took me by surprise. I think anyone who buys this DVD for themself or as a gift they will not be disappointed. I'm now looking to get their other DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars W - O - W ! ! ! ! !, December 18, 2002
By A Customer
This is the very first DVD I ever bought, and I put it in my brand new DVD player this morning. Oh My Lord, was I blown away! I'd only heard bits and pieces of TSR music over the past year and only caught a glimpse of them on TV, but while out shopping, something told me "buy it". Five stars is not enough. This performance is just AWESOME. Jewel performs, and the childrens choir is breathtaking. Michael Crawford sings "O Holy Night " and it is so beautiful it sends chills down the old spine. I have watched this DVD ten times, and I shed tears of joy. TSR is just AWESOME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!, October 14, 2002
Daniel Hoenisch (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I don't know... Some people are complaining of this DVD being a let down, or saying it wasn't good enough. I purchased this DVD, popped it into my DVD player, cranked up the Digital Dolby Surround, and, all I can say is, WOW!!!!! I really enjoyed this DVD. Maybe I enjoyed it more because I didn't compare it to a live performance, like others have done. I knew it wasn't a live performance when I purchased it, and I still got something better than I expected. The music will really put you in the Christmas spirit. It's also not easy to sit still while watching/listening to this. The children's choir was magnificent. The singing from all was great! Well worth the 20 bucks, even though it's only 45 minutes long. I do wish it was longer. Hope they put out another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me cry, December 1, 2003
Just superhuman, these guys. They are so unique and have such a way of touching you. Listen to the story they tell and you'll be right there with the characters they talk about. The first time I listened to this CD I was driving in the car, trying to read the lyrics along with the songs. It was hard enough trying to drive and read, but the tears got in the way so much I had to just STOP and I finished listening when I got home. I grabbed my kids and made them sit down and listen to it; and I told them about the poor girl who had no stars to wish on, only a doggone bar light... crying the whole time. The kids thought I'd lost it for sure! But it's so touching and meaningful. I love it. It's the best thing I've done for myself in a long time, buying this CD and their others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but could have been better., November 15, 2001
Mike Schmalfuss (Cincinnati, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
For those who liked the FOX TV special, this is your video. And no more than that. I love the special and really hoped the DVD would have some more songs, background material and other footage. It appears to be an exact transfer from the original except we get 5.1 digital sound and no commericals. I pre-ordered the DVD and am glad that I purchased it. But it is like all the TSO material.... I want MORE!

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Ghosts Of Christmas Eve