Transcend 8 GB 133x CompactFlash Memory Card TS8GCF133
Capacity: 8 GBChange
Price:$17.62 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 17, 2008
This card is speedy enough for my tastes. Shooting w/ my Nikon D70s in burst mode: I can record 3fps (frames per second) in raw for the first four shots and average 1.5 sec between shots thereafter (by comparison, my extreme IV 2 GB card gets 5 shots off at 3fps and averages 1.0 sec between additional shots). If I shoot with the transcend card in the maximum jpeg setting the results are even better: 3fps for the first 11 shots and 0.9 sec between shots thereafter.

I was able to read 786mb off the card in 48sec (51sec with extreme IV) using my sandisk extreme usb reader. Writing 786mb to the card from my computer (which I never do) was, however, slow: 105sec compared to 57sec with extreme IV.
on March 20, 2008
I use this compact flash card with the Canon 20D. I picked this particular brand because of its price. It's frustrating to pay top dollar for new technology only to have something faster and large storage capacity come out at a cheaper price is a relatively short time.

The Transcend 4GB card didn't disappoint. I tried it just a few days after receiving it at a track and field event at the local high school. The amount of photos this card will hold will depend upon your camera settings and on the ISO level you set your camera to. (The lower the ISO or light sensitivity setting the smaller the file size.)

The card performed well and one must remember that card speed is only half of the equation. Your camera's internal buffer also plays a role. I had been using an 80x speed card and this particular card I'm reviewing is a 133x speed. I didn't notice that much of a difference in terms of writing time to my card while using the shutter and I think I was faced with a buffer issue. I was taking continous shots of hurdle jumpers and long jumpers and taking as many photos per second as the camera could handle. It was nice having a large card to handle all the photos and not have to worrying about swapping cards.

I think this card is a terrific deal and I think I will get another!
on June 27, 2008
First, I am not an expert on compact flash cards. However, I use them in my photogrpahic equipment, such as a Nikon D300. I normally use the SanDisk Extreme III CF. I am concerned with two time measurements. The first is how long the CF card takes to record the image after I press the shutter release. The second is how long it takes to download the contents of my CF card to my computer using a card reader.

I bought the Transcend because the record times appear to be very similar to the SanDisk, and I thought I could save some money. The Trascend was less than half of the price.

The Transcend has great recording times. No complaints there. But to download data from the Transcend to my computer using a card reader takes about 8 - 10 x as long as the SanDisk. I don't know why, nor do I really care.

If money is the driving factor in your purchase, and you don't care about download times, then buy the Transcend. If time is money or if you can't wait 45 - 60 minutes to download 4 GB of data from the disk to your computer via a card reader, buy the SanDisk.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2009
This card surprised me. I expected it to be considerably slower than my Sandisk Ultra II cards. But once I got a high speed card reader that let me access the full performance of the cards I found that it's actually considerably faster for reading, and only fractionally slower for writing.

I get between 5-7 megabytes per second in my write speed tests, which is roughly on par with what I get from my Ultra II cards. But in read performance I got speeds of almost 30 megabytes a second. Compared to around 10 for the Ultra II.

I should specify that this was with a UDMA capable card reader, the Lexar Pro UDMA reader, among the fastest USB 2.0 card readers out there. Performance on gear that isn't UDMA compatible may be different.

There certainly are faster cards out there, if you're willing to pay for them. For comparison, a fast enough camera can achieve three times the write speed of this card with a card that costs around $85 for an 8 gigabyte model. But you need to ask yourself if you both need that kind of speed and have gear capable of utilizing it.

If you're not in the habit of routinely filling the buffer of your camera, if you don't find yourself constantly having to wait for your camera to write enough data to the card for you to be able to take just one more picture, and you're not currently using high end, high speed cards, this is a card to consider.

Four stars out of consideration for the price/performance and capacity ratio. It's not the fastest card out there, but for the price it offers performance and capacity that's hard to beat.
on March 25, 2010
This card is not 133x (Class 20). It is Class 4 at best. Now I see how they can sell it so cheap.

I suspected something was wrong at first when I was recording paltry 640x480 video on my Canon 5D.. This is a 2MB/s task.. I got the little 'buffer filling' warning on the right hand side of the display, indicating the card was not keeping up with the bit stream! What the heck!? This is ridiculous for x480. A good rule of thumb for compressed video is 2Mb/s for 480P, 4Mb/s for 720P, 8Mb/s for 1080P. Find those numbers any number of places. 133x should give me 20MB/s+

So, sick that I had just wasted my money, I plugged the CF to my PC and ran CrystalDiskMark with a 50MB file size, representative of a RAW+JPEG write. To my shock and horror, the card is a CLASS 4! (26x). Ran it again simulating a video stream, same result. Now I understood why the card could not keep up with my Canon DSLR.

I posted the picture proof in the 'customer images' go check it out. If you have an older camera or only need x480 this card would work; but will you patronize a company that lies to you?
Unfortunately, shipping is more than the cost of the card; I'll keep this as an emergency backup for when I forget my quality card.
review image review image
on October 21, 2008
I bought this card in August of 2008 tempted by the price and desire for a larger card for my Canon 40D. I have used off-brands before without incident and currently use a 4gb card from A-Data. My second outing with this card was last weekend on a vacation to the beach and when I hit around 250 shots I started to get periodic pictures that would come back as black screens. This happened about one ever twenty-five shots. Then I started to get errors that the card could not be read or there was no card loaded. I then switched back to my old card for the balance of the trip. I was able to pull all of the photos off of the card later, but won't use it again. I was surprised at how fast it failed, and I am sure it is not the case on every card, but because of this I won't buy this brand again.
on April 13, 2011
I loved this card the first month I had it. The price was great for a decent speed 32gb CF card. I've used Transcend cards in the past and never had any problems. I was impressed with the write speed in my Canon 7D and xsi. No more "busy" signals!

But then I started losing images when I imported them to Lightroom. At first it was one or two...then almost half. Then I started getting error messages both on my Mac and the camera about card readability. After formatting on the camera, it would work again for a couple of days, then start with the bad imports into Lightroom and readability issues again.

3 months later and the card is completely useless. I've never had so many problems with a memory card and I've definitely never had one fail completely on me. Obviously, by reading the other reviews, this is not an uncommon problem with this card. Definitely a waste of money. I'll spend a little more on my next card, which won't be Transcend.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2009
Introduction:

I recently purchased a new Canon 5D Mark II camera. And while I love it the images are huge and my old 8GB cards would only hold around 250 - 260 photos. I got sick and tired of having to swap out cards just when I'm lining up the prefect shot.

Review:

I received this new Transcend 32GB card yesterday and promptly loaded it into my 5D Mark II, formatted it and headed to the zoo.

This card did NOT disappoint! It was so good to see the images remaining counter max out at 999 on my 5D Mark II for the first time. And you can shoot high definition videos and multiple images just like you can on a faster card!!

In Camera Speed:

My faster cards "Transcend 266X Extreme Speed 8 GB cards" do NOT seem faster in the 5D Mark II then this 32GB 133x card at all. I get the exact same 13 RAW or 52 JPEG's before slowing down in continuous shooting! Now once it slows down of course it's slower, but, I usually only need a burst of 5 to 10 shots to get something anyway. Think about your shooting style and go from there, fast and furious order something faster otherwise this card just might fit the bill.

I blazed through the zoo using my normal style of 3 to 5 shots a burst getting over a thousands stills with no noticeable difference in speed and felt the freedom at last to just shoot and shoot.

I also recorded an HD video of 14 minutes no problem and a to the limit low res 29 min 59 second video. There is NO hesitation and no difference.

Download Computer Speed:

I then headed home. And that's where the one weakness reared its head. Downloading to my Mac. It was half the speed of my 266x card when downloading to the computer.

But hey I'm at home now and speed is not an issue. I simply start the download, go put away my gear, grab a snack and drink from the kitchen and it's done.

Recommendation:

If you need a lot more room on your Compact Flash card and are sick and tired of running out of space and download speed isn't an issue this card is for you. I highly recommend especially for Canon 5D Mark II owners.

5-2-2009 Update:

I found out there are some situations that this car is not fast enough for after all especially when saving 25 mb raw files in rapid succesion. While great for land scapes or museum and even renaissance festivals it's just not fast enough when the pace really heats up. I recently photographed Hugh Jackman and the cast of X-Men Origins: Wolverine at the World Premiere in Tempe AZ and there were moments where I could have gotten some really cool shots that I missed because the card was still writing. On the other hand I'm sure I got some shots I might not have gotten if I had a load of smaller faster cards and was swapping them out. I still love this card especially for landscapes and slow paced photography and will keep it but am now looking for a faster, high capacity brother card to compliment it. [...]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2008
Monsterous amount of space, FAST and INEXPENSIVE. I have used these cards, yes I have more then one and I have used them in Nikon D200, Olympus Camedia 8080 and others and it comes close to many of the SanDisk Extreme III cards in speed and beats some others. Regardless of that you have the ability to take thousands of photos on one card and for $30 give or take when you search for it online. I recommend it and if you get via Amazon you usually have the option to return it if you have problems. Always check the return policies where ever you purchase items, especially through other sellers whom do not often have a similar easy and wide ranging return policy like amazon.
on October 18, 2008
I use this with the Canon EOS 40D and it works perfectly with all functions, including continuous shooting. Massive storage for long trips or shooting sessions. People argue not to put all your eggs in one basket and to buy several smaller cards. I think this is bunk! If these cards work to begin with they will continue to work unless damaged by the user. This is only going to happen outside the camera or while inserting and removing, so switching smaller cards frequently will only increase your chances of damage!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations