6,143 Reviews
 (4,671)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, fast, fast!
Published on March 15, 2010 by Mike From Mesa

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware "Class 10" designation
Published on April 26, 2011 by David M. Iannotti

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, fast, fast!, March 15, 2010
I bought this card for my Canon T1i. The card I had been using before ordering this one was a Kingston Class 6 micro sd card and it worked well enough for the type of shooting I did. Class 6 was the card speed that Canon recommended when I bought my T1i (Class 10 cards were not yet available) and it seemed fast enough for the way I used my camera - isolated single photos taken at Medium (8 MP) or Large (15 MP) jpg settings and 1280 x 720 video. And while I ocassionally took continuous photos, I had never much exceeded 5-10 photos in a row and had never run into a problem with my Class 6 card.

When I first saw the Class 10 cards I did some experiments with my camera. How many continuous Large photos could I take before the camera slowed down? It turned out to be about 30. And how many RAW photos could I take before the camera slowed down? It turned out to be about 9. SInce I did not generally take any photos in RAW and never needed more than about 10 continuous photos at Large, the Class 6 card seemed more than sufficient for my needs. But I wondered about the speed of the Class 10 cards enough that I finally bought one.

It turns out that the Class 10 card is sufficiently fast that there does not seem to be a reasonable upper limit on single Large photos. I have taken 60 on continuous without an issue. And although I still cannot take more than 9 RAW photos on continuous with the Class 10 card, when I am finished taking those photos the camera no longer displays a Wait - writing pictures screen. The RAW photos get written from the built-in memory to the card so quickly that the camera does not need to display the Wait screen.

So this card is fast! Given the way I take photos this purchase was unnecessary, but still I am glad I bought it. I know I will not run into a situation where speed is an issue with this card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transcend Vs. Sandisk on Panasonic LX5, November 12, 2010
I will be writing this review for both SanDisk Extreme SDHC class 10 8gb and Transcend SDHC class 10 16gb.

I bought SanDisk class 10 and Transcend class 10 for my new Panasonic LX5. I got both card because no one really did a comparison with a compact camera and I was just going crazy trying to see if there is any big difference between the 2 cards.

SanDisk Extreme package box indicated it's water proof, x-ray proof, shock proof, temperature proof. I am not ready to spend $50 to see if it really stand up to it's words. And I don't think normal people would go through the extreme condition in taking pictures or videos.

Cut the story short, I really want to see if there is any difference in writing performance between the 2 cards in a compact camera. There is a continuous burst mode in LX5 and the manual indicated it is only limited by the condition of picture environment and performance of the SD card. Within the mode there are 2 different settings:1) speed priority or 2) picture/quality priority. The shutter speed is much faster with speed priority compare to picture priority.

I first formatted both cards out of box then put each card in series of test(3 rounds each setting for each card) shooting at the same object under same lighting condition. The results:
Speed Priority:
SanDisk Class 10 8gb
22-33 shots before camera stopped to allow the card to catch up with writing.

Transcend Class 10 16gb
22-24 shots before camera stopped to allow the card to catch up with writing.

Picture priority
SanDisk Class 10 8gb
34-46 shots before camera stopped

Transcend Class 10 16gb
27-33 shots before camera stopped

It seems that at a higher shutter speed, both cards performed very similar under the same shooting condition. But at a slower shutter speed the SanDisk definitely out perform Transcend. I hope this little experiment satisfied anyone with curiosity like me. Transcend definitely is a bargain with 16gb and almost half of the price compare to SanDisk. But I am going to use SanDisk Extreme as my primary card and Transcend as backup or on a second camera to ensure i would not miss any shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast!, April 8, 2010
I purchased this for use with my new Canon T2i. I use it primarily for shooting full resolution 1080p video, although I shoot stills as well.

The camera choked on the class 4 chip that I originally purchased, but with this one, it is amazing. I can shoot rapidfire 18 megapixel stills (I've tested it up to 30+ shots in a row), and there is no lag. I've never had an error when shooting hi-def video.

Highly recommended! I'm buying another one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware "Class 10" designation, April 26, 2011
David M. Iannotti (Quahog, Rogues Island(RI)) - See all my reviews
I have two of these cards and bought them to use with a Canon 60D. My camera manual calls for class 6 or better. I thought I was saving money buying the transcend Class 10 for less than the SanDisk Class 6. This card is not capable of recording HD video on the 60D. It is not fast enough. After a couple seconds of shooting video the camera shows an ons creen indicator that looks like a buffer filling and ceases recording.

There is something everyone buying SD cards should know:

"Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like × speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers and not verified by any independent evaluation process."

Long story made short this card is far slower than the SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Memory Card (SDSDRX3-016G-A21). I had to demote both of these cards for use with point and shoot cameras.

Basically pay no attention to class when choosing a SD card, instead look at the read / write speeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend vs Sandisk of equal price, July 31, 2010
OK. this card was around $47 for a class 10 16gb. The other card i bought was a Sandisk class 10 8gb for the around same price. I did a 10 sec stop watch test on both cards with my Rebel T1i on raw and the Sandisk was only faster by 1 shot in a 10 sec burst. to me it seems trivial to pay 47 bucks for a Sandisk 8gig when you can get 16 gigs for the same price. yes i know, the Sandisk is good for arctic and desert temperatures... but i live in western NY... not Antarctica or the Sahara. If your looking for a good card, with more gigs for your buck, the Transcend is well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filmmakers opinion, November 1, 2010
I use this memory card to shoot HD video on a Canon Rebel T2i HDSLR camera. I need a high transfer speed to ensure footage doesn't get lost or distorted. So far, this card works great for that purpose and operates even better when I take pictures. Highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work in my HD Canon camcorder, February 22, 2011
This review is from: Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDHC10E) (Personal Computers)
I bought this card in preparation for an upcoming vacation. I'm glad I tested it prior to leaving as it did not work in my camera, or at leas not as advertised. The camera simply displayed a message stating that I couldn't record in FXP mode (HD) with the current SD card (even though the technical details for the product state "Perfect for vast amounts of HD video and high-resolution images". In fact I had to bump the resolution down 2 levels before the camcorder would allow me to record. According to the documentation that came with my camcorder, it is capable of writing HD content to an SD card with a Class 4 speed rating. So, while this card is advertised as a Class 10, I don't believe it actually is. In addition to the problems using this card in my camcorder, the card also could not be read by the card reader in my PC with Windows 7. I had to plug it into the card reader on my printer before my computer would recognize it.

I returned the Transcend SD card and purchased a slightly more expensive 32GB Kensington SD card, and everything works as it should, in my camcorder, and in my PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here are some information ., June 7, 2011
The Sd Class standarized the specification for both memory and speed.
The SD (Standard Capacity) has an official maximum 2GB-4GB,
SDHC (High Capacity) 4GB-32GB,
SDXC (Extended Capacity) 32GB-2TB.
Cards from all SD families have a similar physical size excluding mini and micro SD. Some older device does not recognize card with bigger capacity which use larger blocks. Cards can be formated by many diffrent systems. Fragmentation may slow down the effective write speed. Defragmentary an SD card will wear the card out.
All SD families must power-up at 3.3 volt and SDXC familiy can step down to 1.8 volt when reciving specific commands.
Speed Class raiting is defined by the SD Association. Class reprezents a multiple of 1MB/s and meets write speed for card.
The device such as video recording may not perform satisfactorily if the SD card's Class rating fall below a particular speed.
Application for Speed Class;
Class 2; MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
Class 4; MPEG-2 (HDTV) video recording and still camera
Class 6; DSC photo-shooting, profesional videocamera
Class 10; full HD, HD still pictures
For my cameras higher Class cards working good like Transcend 16 GB. I reccomend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Junk if You are Using This for Video, April 6, 2011
Dan Eppinger (Danbury, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
Last month I purchased an Aluratek Cinepal video player as well as this Transcend card in order to store video in the player.

After spending a month trying everything, I was ready to give up and return the player. It skipped, jumped, and took forever to load.

As a last resort, I tried replacing the card with one that I bought at Staples. It was only an 8g card for $24.95, but it specifically said on the packaging that it was "good for video."

In short, there was nothing wrong with my player.....It was the crappy card. If you plan to use it for video, DON'T! Spend the extra bucks and avoid frustration.

Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars the fastest but it will cost, May 15, 2011
I bought this memory for the new Sony cybershot DSC-TX10 which came out early May 2011. It is a high defenition camara with HD video capability. BUT...the speed of capturing any video images or pictures is limited by the memory card. Slow memory card, poor video capture. That is why I purchased this card. It is the fastest on the market as of this date and can handle HD video. It is the second largest memory capacity of 64GB which is amazing that so much can be packed in such a small space. BUT...you pay for it (I paid about 150). However, I do not regret the purchase at all because it worked very well. Though not purfect. I noticed some choppiness when the the camare had to capture a fast moving vista as I was doing when shooting video from a moving vehicle. There was still a little choppiness, but I had it on max HD at 1080X720 which in my opinion was very acceptable. Shooting moving subjects with a still background does great. Every still image I took was HD and camera pause was less than 1 sec as the image was stored in memory. The pauses in the camera after each picture is a result of how fast the memory card can store images. My older camera took longer than a second which can be an eternity. I can say that this memory stick, though not purfect, did very well. After all it is the fastest available to date. I love technology. If you want quick response to video capture, do not get anything less than this speed. And as for the 64GB capacity, you don't need to go higher (there's a 128GB out there) as I took about 45 min of video combined with about 100 pictures, all HD, I only used about 15 percent of the memory. I always download and save my images so as to free up the camara for the next oportunity shoot. This memory card was expensive but it was needed to take full advantage of HD.