Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Showing 1-10 of 703 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 23, 2010
If you need a fast high capacity CF card at a reasonable price, Transcend's 32GB (Blue) card is a good choice. This 400X card has a maximum read speed of 90MB/sec, and more importantly a write speed of 60MB/sec.

Shooting photos at maximum quality (saving both JPEG and RAW files), I was looking for a faster card for my Canon 7D an 18 megapixel digital SLR. The results using this card are excellent. The 7D has a burst rate of 8 frames per second, and the camera's buffer is large enough, so that you can easily shoot a 10 or 15 shot burst, without the camera locking up. Of course it takes some time for the camera to write to the card after such a burst, so I did a quick comparison using the Transcend 400x card, a Kingston 266x card, and a Transcend 133x card. I took a 10 shot burst, and then measured the time between the last shot and when the frame counter in the display stopped blinking, roughly indicating that data had finished writing to the card. The results of this crude test were, that the 400x card took 5 seconds, the 266x card 15 seconds, and the 133x card 25 seconds. Increasing to a 15 shot burst, the results were, 7.5 seconds for the 400x card, 22 seconds for the 266x card, and 37 seconds for the 133x card.

My tests are informal, and your results may vary, but these findings may provide some rough indication of the performance the card is capable of. I have used it on a couple of shoots, and haven't experienced any delays, while the camera writes to the card.

I have heard various professional photographers recommend using smaller cards, usually 8GB, rather than 16GB or 32GB cards. The thinking is that cards will eventually fail, and they feel more comfortable having their images from a particular shoot (usually a wedding), on several cards rather than on one card. That way if a card happens to fail, they will not lose all the images from that one event. While that kind of approach may make sense to someone shooting a wedding, I like having a card with enough capacity to shoot an entire event, and not have to worry about running out of memory or changing and keeping track of cards. Using a 7D, a 32GB card is good for about 950 images, which is great for photo shoots with models, shooting on a trip, or an extended event, like a basketball tournament, or runners in a marathon.

With camera file sizes increasing, "large capacity" is a relative term. So that 8GB card that was "huge" a couple of years ago, is kind of "small" today. Someday soon, the same will probably be true of even 32GB cards. Transcend's new 64GB (Blue) compact flash card may seem excessive, but digital SLR's being capable of shooting high definition video, has raised memory requirements to a new level. And finally, while using bigger cards may be more "risky" for some, for others they are more convenient, and they are generally less expensive per GB.

Due to good performance and reliability over several years, Transcend is a brand that I have come to trust for both compact flash and SD memory cards. Transcend cards are usually less expensive than equivalent cards by SanDisk or Lexar. They have a lifetime warranty, but fortunately I haven't had a Transcend card fail yet. If you do happen to get a bad card when buying from Amazon, replacement is usually a fast and hassle free process. This 400x card is fast, and at this time is a very good deal for under $100.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2010
Works perfetly in all Canon EOS 7d HD Movie modes. I purchased two of them along with my 7d and have just ordered a 32 GB Transcend to extend HD movie capacity from 48 min with this 16 GB to 96 min.

May 2011 Update: While this 400x Transcend continues to work perfectly with my 7d under almost all conditions, I have recently found one condition where the faster 600x Transcend MIGHT make a very modest difference. When you are shooting RAW at 8 frames per second with this 400x, the camera slows down to about 1 frame per second after the buffer is full -- about 16 shots. This would also happen at 600x, but I dont know how much it would improve. I just performed an experiment with my 32 GB 400x Transcend/7D and got the following number of shots off in five seconds:
1. Large JPG only: 39 shots (buffer never overloads).
2. Large RAW only: 23 shots (slows down after 16 shots). *
3. Large RAW plus Large JPG: 17 shots. (slows down after 7 shots) *
In summary, there is no reason for 7D owners to spend the big bucks to go from 400x to 600x for video and probably no significant improvement even for 8fps RAW. Check out the table on page 59 of your EOS 7D Instruction Manual and do the math for yourself. High speed (8fps) RAW generates about 200MB/s while the 400x cards and 600x cards handle only 60MB/s and 90MB/s respectively. Also note than if you are shooting RAW + JPEG, you can more than double your burst length by going to RAW only and converting later. Burst capability is therefore much more about the camera's buffer size and processing speed than about card speed. I have concluded that this 400X Transcend is the one for me and find no reason to spend more. If you are a 7D/600x owner who wishes to repeat this test with a 600x Transcend, I would greatly appreciate your reply to this post. For me, it would be an expensive experiment.
* Updated 8-4-2011, Note that this was for the 32GB card, the 16GB card might produce slightly different results.
* Update 2012: Canon introduced a major firmware upgrade this year that significantly improves on these processing times and adds other useful enhancements. If you have not yet upgraded to version 2.0.3, you should do so now.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2010
The performance seems to match or exceed the requirements of Canon 5D Mk II and does not cause any problem while taking pictures or shooting HD video. Most demanding picture format on 5D Mk II is RAW + JPEG (Fine+Large), and 32GB card can usually hold more than 900 of those.
on June 21, 2010
Update: September 2014. Still going strong. I keep thinking I will upgrade to a newer, bigger card but these keep going strong (have 2). My original purchase was 6/2010 for $57. I don't do a lot of video but what I have done has been fine. Shoot, transfer, format in camera and repeat.

Update: October 2013. Almost 3 1/2 years later I am still using this card on a regular basis. I have never lost one photo to it. Still a recommend!

Original Review: While searching for a CF card for my new camera, I didn't find many specific card results. So if you are using a Nikon D300s, this review is for you.

This card works great in my Nikon D300s. Here are my results at 7 frames per second:

RAW-12 BIT - Buffer show 17 frames but shoots 25 frames before buffer fills. Pause for about one second and can shoot for about 5 shots. Pause for 3 seconds and can shoot for 16 before buffer fills. Capacity shows 770 shots available but goes over 800.

JPEG-Large-Fine - Buffer shows 21 but never fills and will shoot at 7fps up to the Nikon limit of 100 shots. It goes down to about 7 or 8 in the buffer but never slows down.
Capacity shows 1400 (1.4K) photos available. I don't shoot JPEG much so I don't know the actual totals. 1400+ is a lot for one card.

I consider myself a serious amateur photographer and this card fulfills all my needs. My photography is mostly HDR, landscapes, and my kids (both at home and playing sports).

Unless you need to shoot in RAW 25+ photos at 7fps consistently, this is a great card for the money. If you shoot JPEG, it will work as fast as the camera.

I purchased this 16GB card for the same price as the Sandisk 8GB card. So for the price of a Sandisk 16GB card, I bought two Transcend 16GB cards. Until this card, I always shot with Sandisk Extremes III sdhc cards.

Shipped fast with Prime.

I will update here if I have any issues.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2010
Loved the price. Warranty on box says lifetime, can't beat that. So since no one else put this information down, I figured I would. In a Canon 7D, shooting in RAW, you can take 25 pictures using high speed shutter setting (8 frames a second) before the buffer fills and you have to wait. Its more than a couple of seconds, but then I could do it again.I would suspect that using jpg would be more than double that and jpg lower quality or smaller size would much,much higher. Since I don't shoot jpg I didn't check. If you own a 7D and do shoot jpg instead of RAW, don't hesitate. Holds ~500 RAW images on a 7D. Since I rarely shoot at 8 frames a second, this card more than meets my needs, see [...]. I was instructed by Neil Cowley to never put all your images on one card in case something happens to it which is why I didn't purchase the 32GB cards. Very good advice from an excellent professional.
on December 17, 2010
I bought a few of these for video on the 7D and have not had any problems. I used to use the Transcend 133X without any problems until I did a firmware update on the 7D. After that I kept getting errors. After much research I learned that, for some reason (after updating the firmware) my old cards were not fast enough. This was tested on several 7D's. With these newer 400x cards I have no problems whatsoever. I have shot hours and hours of footage on multiple cameras and have not had a single problem.
on January 8, 2011
When I got my 5D MkII I wanted a big, fast card, and really didn't know what to expect in terms of price. I figured if I could find a 32GB that was at least 300-400x for under $100, I'd be set. I visited my local camera shop which is know for being pretty fair about mark-ups on items and was shocked when I was told a comparably fast 16GB card would run me around $129.

Obviously I decided to take my business to Amazon, and very quickly found this Transcend 400x 32GB card. For the price it's perfect. As a card in general it is superb. I frequently shoot video with the 5D MkII, and exclusively shoot RAW images, and I have yet to reach the limitations of this card's buffer and speed. Paired with my Lexar Professional Express Card Compact Flash Reader LRWEXPPRBNA I have an ideally speedy workflow.

If price is a major factor, and even if it isn't, don't hesitate to buy this CF card.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 17, 2010
This Transcend 32Gb CF 400x Card has the build quality of a SanDisk 8Gb 200x card I borrowed from a friend the weekend before this came. I shot over 1100 photos in a matter of 90 minutes, all 25mb RAW files (totaling 25gb on the card), of two 15 month olds (so a mix of single shot and high speed bursts) and this card kept up just fine.

I don't see a need in my near future for a 600x card, and the 32Gb was more than enough space. When formatted, it is about 29.5Gb.

I have no regrets and for the price and quality, I would buy again without a doubt.
on December 9, 2010
I was a little hesitant at first, knowing I was about to trust my entire vacation to this CF card in my Canon 5d Mark II (including some HD video). In the end, I discovered I had nothing to worry about.

I'm sure the Sandisk Extreme 20-billion cards are great, but the cost-to-performance ratio of the Transcend is outstanding at a fraction of the price. I shot in jpeg. I shot in RAW. I shot in HD video. My camera had no problems writing to the card, and the card appeared to have no problems keeping up with the camera.

All in all, I'm quite pleased. And, if I needed another one, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Transcend 400X.
on October 2, 2010
I was looking for a fast reliable CF card for my new Canon 7D DLSR. I reseached alot of cards from ultra expensive to ultra cheap. I found this card to be in the price range and performance range I needed. I took a chance and bought the card. I am very satisfied with its performance for both video and photography. It is fast enough to keep up with the 7D HD video shooting with out buffering issues.