Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Transcend 16 GB Compact Flash Card 600X TS16GCF600
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 26, 2010
I've had my fair share of Compact Flash Memory Cards. From Kingston, to Transcend, to Patriot, etc... I've ran several speed benchmarks for read, write and access times. This is the only memory card I've tested that actually matches it's advertised speed.

The whole industry for memory card speeds and advertising is so nonchalant. There is no official standardized testing for memory card speeds. So many companies actually do their "own tests" to measure speed and make outrageous claims on their memory cards. Most cards i've tested run about 20-40% of it's advertised speed. This particular card runs at 89-91 mb/sec for read/write which fulfills its claim of 90mb/sec.

On another note: I use this for my Canon 7D. Most other memory cards cannot keep up with the write/read/access time speed for recording video with the 7D. This is the only one that works. You will know your memory card cannot handle the high speed demands of your 7D or 5D is when you see the loading/access bar on the LCD screen and suddenly, your camera automatically stops recording.

Highly recommended!

The only downside, is the rip off shipping for $10 each. I know it costs around $2-3 for USPS first class shipping.
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2009
I just bought the ultimate birder CF card!!!!

After you fill the buffer completely full on a 5D Mark II it will continue to shoot and record a steady 2 shots per second until the card is full.

That's right, over 500 shots on the 5D Mark II at two shots per second until full

Soon we will have cards where we no longer worry about the buffer!

AMAZING!!!

I got tired of waiting on my camera to write to my card and waiting on my card reader to download to the computer and so looked around for something a little bit faster.

Using a firewire 800 reader the download speed that this card maintains to my Mac is amazing!

I highly recommend!
on June 26, 2011
I use this card in my Canon EOS 7D to shoot swim meets. I shoot all day, in the sun, typically about 1,500 to 1,800 images, at full size / highest quality (not raw). At times, I shoot at the high speed 8 frames per second setting. The 7D shows an estimate of how many images can be taken before the card has to slow down to process them. It is typically around 90 images! I have NEVER had to stop shooting because the card couldn't keep up with the camera. Incidentally, my images are shot at the highest setting for JPEGs, and yield 5184 x 3456 pixel images around 7 to 8 MB each. At 1,800 images, the card still had room for about another 600 images.
on March 17, 2011
Seriously fast, keeps up with my 9fps Nikon D3.

Hasn't failed yet.

I also have a SanDisk mounted in the 2nd CF slot in case something happens.

But 1 year solid, MADE IN THE USA, and going strong. . .no complaints here. . .not sure how it'd do with video, but as far as taking pictures and holding thousands of pictures, don't go farther than this.

Remember, no CF is 100% reliable. Backup and FORMAT YOUR CARD every time you clear all your precious pictures off of it - and you have to format it IN YOUR CAMERA, a lot of people forget this!

Happy shooting. . .
___________________
Updated, with the price dropping even more on these, I purchased another.
So far, I've been shooting for quite awhile with one 32GB 600x Transcend. I purchased another to fill both slots of my D3 - I'm also hoping, with the impending release of the D4, that I can take advantage of the fast writing, transferring, and capture speeds of the Card as picture sizes invariably grow. Very happy with these cards...just remember to format in your camera before you start shooting!
on August 24, 2010
Does exactly as advertised. It's 32gb and writes about 20% faster than the Transcend 300x cards in my D700. Writes and reads at least 50% faster in my FW800 reader. Feels lighter and more hollow than my other CF cards.

I had a 16gb 300x card fail after 2 years and Transcend exchanged it for a brand new one with no questions asked. Quickly too. I have been using their cards in CF, SD, and SDHC flavors for at least nine years now, with only the one failed card. I don't expect this card to fail, but if it does, I expect I'll get good service again.

Compare to the SanDisk Ducatis and others--these cards are a steal.

Only con: not available in 64gb at this speed.

UPDATE 2012: After upgrading to an SSD, I can pull files off this at over 70MB/s with my Firewire 800 reader and around 65MB/s with my USB3 one. This card appears to be getting better with age! (originally reviewed in 2010)
on February 23, 2011
I bought this to go with my Canon 7D. This is well beyond fast enough for the 7D's 8 frames per second in JPEG shooting mode. It takes the JPEG buffer 500+ pictures at 8 frames a second to fill up. Once it's filled it takes about 3 seconds to clear the buffer, allowing you to shoot again. Shooting in RAW format, this card is still remarkably good. The buffer fills up much faster while shooting RAW - in about only 15 shots. Then, continues to shoot 2-3 frames a second until you allow the camera to write the photos in the buffer. Still remarkable! This is definitely an awesome card and well worth the money. On the 7D, the 8GB capacity holds about 1000 18MP photos, or 250 RAW photos.
on June 14, 2011
Testbed
Windows 7, 64bit
Brando USB 3 reader
Benchmark Software: Flash Memory Toolkit ver 2.00

The following figures are from the Low Level Benchmark, not the File Benchmark. So it more about the theoretical speeds, rather than speed than in practice. Results were:

Transcend 16GB 600x (Brando USB 3.0 reader)
Read 89.3
Write 69.0

Transcend 16GB 600x (Lexar USB 3.0 reader)
Read 89.5
Write 69.3

No meaningful difference in speed between the 2 different readers.

Excellent speed and value for money, not a common mix.

Real life download speeds of 16meg files is around 60MBs.
on November 26, 2011
I was looking for a SSD replacement for my IBM Thinkpad X41 's 1.8" IDE harddisk and there are hardly any SSDs with IDE/PATA. So I decided to use this Compact Flash as SSD using a modified CF-IDE adaptor (you have to flatten the soldered IDE pins on the CF-IDE adaptor to prevent contact with the metal of X41 on the inside)

It has run successfully on a Thinkpad X41 on Ultra ATA/100 mode and it has reached 72MB/s read speeds for the 1MB transfer size. That was about 15MB/s on the previous mechanical harddisk which means CF is about 5x faster.

Now I have a Thinkpad which works faster, runs longer on battery and won't lose its data when fallen on the ground. That's a good bargain for about $70.

Note: You must use a filter driver (for instance xpfildrvr1224_320.zip for the 32bit Windows XP) to introduce this CF as a primary harddisk. If you don't do that, the CF appears as a removable drive in Windows and you cannot use some several useful features such as virtual memory and recycle bin.
on April 26, 2011
Used this in my Canon 1d Mark IV and Mark III. Card can almost keep up with the speed of the camera, I had to stop at 8 seconds and ~6 seconds respectively to allow it to write. Overall not a bad card, having shot over 2K on two cards have not had any failures. Reads very respectably using my Sandisk Firewire 800 reader with no errors as of yet.
on September 5, 2010
I needed a card for my RAW format shooting that was reasonably priced and performed well. I looked at Sandisk & Lexar, which until now were my preferred brands, and placed them in my shopping carts hoping the price would drop to the $200 price range. I saw the Transcend appear as an option, but resisted due to lack of confidence. I was wrong. I bought one Transcend 32 GB Compact Flash Card 600X card and placed it in my Nikon D3 and formatted it and put it through all my own rudimentary tests. I was incredibly impressed. This card has exceeded my expectations. I bought a second card and am absolutely amazed at the speed that the camera can copy from one CF to the other, and transfer speed to the Mac is so much faster than before and the camera seems to shoot much faster when its internal buffer fills up and becomes dependent on the speed of the card. I've taken a couple of thousand pictures with both these cards, in two different cameras and have had 100% success. I give this product 5* and have Transcend 600x cards now on top of my preferred lists.