4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with my early 2011 Macbook Pro
Published on September 24, 2011 by Seldon J. Childers

3.0 out of 5 stars Drivers not ready for MacOS Lion
The MacOS device driver currently available (v1.5.0, dated 8/16/2011) is not at all reliable with MacOS 10.7.3. Often times, the whole system will crash, requiring a hard reset, when inserting an SD card. Lion users, look elsewhere for a card reader, or wait for a driver or MacOS update to address the problems.
Published on April 2, 2012 by J. Fieber

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with my early 2011 Macbook Pro, September 24, 2011
Seldon J. Childers (Gainesville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend Express Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/UHS-1 (TS-RDF1) (Personal Computers)
I purchased the Transcend Expresscard RDF1 for my Macbook Pro, intending to use it with a 64GB SDXC card for more storage. I selected this product primarily because it will hold the SDXC cards flush into the Macbook, and not sticking out a little as with some other similar products. When I received the Expresscard, I quickly installed it in my Macbook. It slides into the express card slot and locks into place. To lock it into place you have to use the edge of your fingernail because there isn't much room for fingers once it gets almost all the way in (at least, not for my fat fingers). Once installed, it was a snap to slide the SDXC card in, which also locks into place. As advertised, it is completely flush when installed, so it is possible to leave the card in the Macbook when traveling. To remove the SDXC, just push the card in a little and it pops back out about a third of its length. Same thing for the Expresscard, but you have to use the edge of a fingernail as described above.

At this point came my only complaint about the unit. Nothing happened once I got the two cards physically installed. I expected the drive to appear in my OS X finder but the Macbook resolutely ignored repeated removal and replacement of the two devices. After some effort I located a website on the little cardboard card in the bubble pack, stating in tiny print where you have to download drivers [...]. This done, the drive mounted immediately. I have to say, the card is fast. I cannot tell any difference in speed copying files to the card as compared with copying files between locations on the hard drive. It is noticeably faster than copying to a USB 2.0 device. Now that it is properly installed, I am very pleased and am considering investing in a 128GB SDXC card for even more storage.

Note: I am using a 133x SDXC card.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only card reader that can keep up with the latest SD UHS-1 cards, December 5, 2011
Card readers are generally lagging SD card development. Grievously lagging. A good deal of the problem is that USB2 just isn't fast enough to keep up with the transfer speeds the faster SD cards can achieve lately. Enter Transcend with this PCIe Express Card reader. With it, you will NOW see the full speed that your cards (probably the ones you've been complaining about) can deliver. Just for example, the latest SanDisk Extreme Pro cards claim 90MB/sec read speed. Well, in the built-in reader in my Dell Laptop (only a year and a half old) they most they'll do is about 15.5MB/sec write and 22MB/sec read. Yikes. In this Transcend reader, they deliver 100% full speed, about 45MB/sec write (yes!) and slightly higher than the claimed 90MB/sec read. Wow. That's seriously smokin fast. I went out with my D300s and shot 200 miscellaneous frames at 6/sec. The camera didn't slow down once. Then I transferred those 200 ~8MB files to a disk on my network server in about 20 seconds. Wow. That's the first time with any reader I've come anywhere close to those speeds. For the few $$ this thing costs, and assuming that you have a laptop that has an available Express Card slot, you shouldn't hesitate to add one of these adapters.

One minor note: The adapter won't be recognized in Windows unless you install the driver first. You have to visit Transcend's site to get that [Amazon won't let me put the URL to the driver here. You'll have to get it from the package insert where it's in rather tiny letters.] and then click on the ambiguous little flag in the upper right corner to localize. The driver sets up in Win 7 in a couple of seconds and doesn't require a reboot. Then when you plug in the adapter, you'll hear the "new device" sound, and cards you plug in will be automatically added to the list of drives.

And on a related subject, when you look at reviews for SD cards, particularly the latest high speed types, and the reviewer is complaining about the slow speed not meeting the spec, you can probably ignore those measurements and conclusions due to the fact that virtually ALL card readers are the speed limitation for the measurement. Especially anything that runs on USB2, which is technically too slow to keep up with any of the faster new cards. For example, I recently bought an inexpensive PQI 8GB Class 10 card for archival purposes. The speed measured out at 10/20 in the Dell internal card reader. In the Transcend, in the same Dell, it measured 16.7/23.3. That's quite a difference. Every other card I tested, except the very slowest/oldest was considerably faster in this Transcend reader.

Anyway, I highly recommend this for anyone using fast SD-XC or SD-UHS-1 cards in their cameras. You'll be very pleased at the much higher transfer speed than you've suffered with in your other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Linux review! Yeah! :P, July 14, 2012
I just purchased this with the Transcend 16GB UHS SD Card in lieu of ordering a proper SSD ExpressCard so as to seriously upgrade my ThinkPad R52's capabilities.

If you're looking to make it 54mm width and flush, I might suggest the StarTech ExpressCard 34mm to 54mm Stabilizer Adapter over StarTech's first generation stabiliser. While a bit spendy, the ability to have 2 available for other uses makes the investment worthwhile in my opinion. This reader does not require the stabiliser for the ThinkPad R52 at all, but my desire to keep it permanently installed made the decision one of aesthetics.

The clampack that this came in is utterly awesome! I just had to pull the convenient tab to "sardine-can" the back panel off of it. :D

I've noticed that some of the past reviewers have mentioned heat issues. The palm rest above it is slightly warmer, but isn't really all that noticeable with the device idling for extended periods.

.: Technical Information :.

It works out of the box with the vanilla Arch Linux kernel 3.4.4-2 via the module < sdhci-pci >. I think it should work with the earlier kernels of any distro as long as they are compiled with support for the < sdhci-pci > or < jmb38x_ms > modules. The Linux drivers off of Transcend's website support only the 2.6.31~2.6.38 kernels as the < jmb38x_ms > module.

The modules required to be probed in Arch Linux so as to make it hot-pluggable without flags: < pciehp > & < acpiphp >.

It recovers sanely if I remove either the SD card or the reader when it's in standby. I am currently unable to test hibernation for saneness.

.~.~.~.~.~.

* 197b:2392 (rev 30) | JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller (rev 30)

Capabilities: [a4] Power Management version 3
>> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
>> Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-

Capabilities: [80] Express (v1) Endpoint, MSI 00
>> DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
>>> ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
>> DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
>>> RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
>>> MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
>> DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
>> LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 unlimited
>>> ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
>> LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+
>>> ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
>> LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

Capabilities: [94] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
>> Address: fffffffc Data: 0000

3.0 out of 5 stars Drivers not ready for MacOS Lion, April 2, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Blindingly fast for Windows Vista ReadyBoost, December 20, 2011
I purchased this reader to replace the stock card reader on my 2008 Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit. The stock card reader was giving me read/write times maxing out at 25Mb/s with a very fast Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 4GB card(the max GB that Vista ReadyBoost will allow). This Transcend reader installed, flush with the port, in a snap. After a quick driver download from Transcend's website, I plugged the reader into my laptop's Expressport 34/54 slot(which uses a very fast PCI-Express bus) and vavoom; plug and play drivers installed and ready to go. The difference in performance was immediate. I was now clocking speeds almost up to 50Mb/s on the same Sandisk 4MB card(which also inserted flush into the Transcend card reader). The practical improvement in the Vista OS due to the ReadyBoost improvement was also, immediately noticeable. The laptop now runs faster than it did when I first purchased it back in late 2008.
If you have an older laptop/card reader and wish to bring to back the speed; this Transcend card reader is the way to go. It's reasonably priced and works just as well as it claims it does. This turned out to be a much better(and more practical/cosmetically feasible) alternative for a Windows laptop ReadyBoost speed enhacement than using a "fast" USB flash thumb drive(which is a slower bus than the Expresscard's PCI-express bus) which inconveniently juts out of the side of the laptop(making it impossible to pick up and go easily).

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing part of every Macbook Pro, April 1, 2012
If your Macbook Pro has a slot for this card and does not have an SD card interface. This is the missing part of your Laptop.

After the driver is installed you can read every type of SD on the market today.

The main difference is that this card is an SDXC reader. Not just a USB converter for your SD chips. So all of the new High Speed and High "G" SD chips will work.

The card and the card with an SD inserted are "flush" with the edge of the Laptop. No need to ever remove this from the slot.

Get the missing part for your Laptop and make it complete.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used it for a 2010 17" Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard, and it works fine..., February 15, 2013
I only gave it 4 stars because it's a little bit kludgy and probably doesn't suport Mountain Lion. Otherwise, it works great!

1. Download the Mac Driver from the Transcend website - hit: "Accessories" category, it's the RDF1.
2. Install this driver before you ever insert it into your Mac. YOU WILL GET AN ERROR DURING INSTALL! This freaked me out, and I didn't realize it was actually still (slowly) installing. I force quit it, ran the driver remover on it, tried again, and it worked (and rebooted).
3. Insert the (empty) Express card. This is REALLY, REALLY hard - like preparing a cross bow! And it's really recessed into the slot. I had no doubts that if I let it pop out, it could probably shoot through half inch plywood. But it's in SOLID now.
4. Insert the SDHC card -> this is also very hard - you have to press hard, and it's in deep. Probably a great solution if you want to use an SDHC card as a permanent extra flash drive.

THE GOOD NEWS: At least in SL, it works fine. No issues whatsoever. And it's much faster than my USB 2.0 adapters.
If Transcend gets it working in Mountain Lion, I'll up it to 5 stars, because then I won't have to buy a different card when I upgrade. But for this price, it's fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on a Mac -- After some minor adjustments, November 24, 2012
Brimstin (Tennessee, United States) - See all my reviews
I own a late 2008 unibody 15" MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.2. I chose the UHS-I ExpressCard reader because I've never used my Express34 Card Slot and I'd rather transfer photos directly from a card than from my camera body via a USB connection. Not only is this more convenient (no cables), it's faster.

======SETUP=======
Setup was a breeze--mostly.
Simply go to Transcend's website, find the driver, and install it.

But wait.

If you're running OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, you'll be stopped by Gatekeeper, which only allows you to run applications directly from the App Store or from Identified Developers. After some searching, I found you can disable Gatekeeper and allow your machine to install the driver. Just go under System Preferences --> Security and Privacy and check the "Anywhere" button at the bottom. I'd recommend setting this back to its default after the installation is complete. Now that Gatekeeper is temporarily disabled, you can run the driver installation. When it's complete, it will want to restart your computer.

After a restart, you can click the card into place. After that, you're ready to go.

Some have said that this card reader causes their Macs to crash. I haven't experienced this yet. If I do, I'll edit this post.

=======Physical Size, Build Quality======
The card was smaller than I imagined it would be. But then again, I'm used to the larger cards that used to be the standard about 8-10 years ago. On a MacBook Pro, the card goes into the slot with minimal effort. You'll hear a nice solid click when it's mounted in place. To remove it, simply give it a push, and it will click back out again. If you're used to using an SD card (which, you should if you're buying this), the mechanism operates in very much the same way. I'm very happy that the card does not protrude from my MBP at all. It sits flush with the rest of the notebook body. This way, I can pop it in and out of my laptop bag without the card snagging. I've attached a photo so you can see what it looks like installed.

=======Use & Performance========
Once the card is mounted in the card slot and you've installed the driver, it's ready to go. Simply plug in an SD/SDHC/SDXC card and you can access it just like any other card reader. You'll notice that there is now a bold rectangle icon on the top Apple menu bar. The only purpose this serves is to let you know the card is in place. You can click on it to power the card off, but that's the only thing it does. It would be nice if I could get rid of this, or if it had a few more options, like to safely remove (eject) the card, but this is only a minor complaint. You can always eject the card just like any other flash storage.

In practice, the card reader is pretty fast. I notice a significant difference in transfer speeds compared to hooking my DSLR up via a USB cable. I have a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB UHS-I (95MB/s) card and decided to run some speed tests to find out how quick the card reader really was (at the time of this review, this is the fastest SD card available). I was surprised to find out that it was writing at about 65MB/s and reading at 75MB/s. Obviously I'm not getting SanDisk's claimed 95MB/s. To be honest, I'm not sure whether this is a limitation of the SD card, or the card reader itself. I've seen other people with the same card get higher speeds, but I'm happy with the read speed. I imported 25 raw photos (~22MB each) recently and it didn't take more than 7 seconds to finish the import. Not bad!

=======Summary | Pros-Cons=======

-----PROs-----
-Works Great!
-Works... On a Mac!
-Mounts flush with the laptop. Does not protrude.
-Installation was quick.
-It's fast.... enough.
-Good build quality.
-Reliable.

-----CONS-----
-Some better documentation, PLEASE. Seriously: There's 4x more Transcend promotional garbage in the packaging than instructions. In fact, there are almost no instructions other than "Go to our website for the driver before use."
-I'm not getting the 95MB/s claimed performance from my SDHC card. (Could be a SanDisk limitation though)
-Had to disable Apple's Gatekeeper to install the driver. A minor inconvenience, but why is Transcend (a major manufacturer) not on Apple's "trusted" list??
-Annoying single-function icon always present on the menu bar. More functionality/options would be nice.
-Packaged in stupid "frustration" packaging. Honestly. It practically takes industrial scissors to get the packaging apart.
-I had to hunt for the driver a bit. It's listed under "accessories" and not "card readers"; Go figure.

All in all, I'm pleased. It's a simple card reader, it's fast, it works great, and setup was a breeze. I WOULD recommend this to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does work on OSX, even if its driver install looks as if it doesn't., August 29, 2012
Aside from my initial annoyance that it requires a driver install (OSX 10.6.8 - latest Snow Leopard as of this writing) in order to work, and having to dig it out of the net ( search terms: intitle:RDF1 ExpressCard Reader - Transcend Info ), you'll find that not only does it demand a reboot of your system after having installed the loadable kernel drivers (they're loadable on the fly - you don't need to reboot if the installer were to issue a kextload command for them), you get a message from the system saying that it couldn't use either component. BUT FEAR NOT: After rebooting, it actually works.

Insert the RDF1 card, then insert your SD card. Both loading steps are spring-loaded, so you'll have to push against their respective springs rather than just letting them slide home. Once the RDF1 card is in, OSX throws a PC Card icon in amongst the jumble others on the right-hand half of the menu bar. Inserting your SD card mounts it in the Finder, and if you're an iPhoto user, that will launch. As it's not a USB card, it will let you pull the data off of your SDHC card at an amazing rate. Time to read an entire 8GB Class 10 card (Kingston brand) out of the built-in reader on a small video camera at a rate of about 2.9MB/s on a MacBook Pro would be almost 45 minutes. With the RDF1, the read rate is 11.9MB/s, cutting the read time for the entire card down to just under 11 minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars DISCONTINUED PRODUCT -- NO FUTURE SUPPORT, May 7, 2013
Mac Coder (Tulsa, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I have been informed by Transcend (the manufacturer) that this product is END OF LIFED, meaning that there is no current production, no meaningfull future support, and no chance for future drivers to work with current or future versions of your operating system.

I mention this as none of the vendors (or even Transcend, on their "information" site) have seen fit to share this significant data.

Despite the occasional positive review, this devices does not work reliably with the MacBooks, unless you are running Snow Leopard.

It's a shame -- it's a nice price. But the product is not worth the hair-tearing.

Rate and Discover Movies