4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Rugged, Capacious External drive
Good little drive. I bought it for ruggedness and durability, but the performance is also quite satisfactory. I get well over 70M Bytes/sec transfer rates on large (>1G) files, and about 25M Bytes/sec transfer rates on small (<1M) files.

I also tested this with USB2, and it works fine, roughly the same speed as my other external USB2 drives.

There...
Published on July 5, 2011 by ramiro garcia

The manufacturer commented on the review below
I bought this drive last May to keep a Backup of my hard drive. The primary reason I purchased it was because it was shock-proof and wanted to keep my data safe.

PROS:
1. It has a nice "heavy duty" construction without being bulky
Published 18 months ago by Sergio

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Rugged, Capacious External drive, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Transcend Storejet 1T Portable USB 3.0 Hard Disk (TS1TSJ25H3P) (Personal Computers)

There is no separate power cable or power supply. The included short, custom, cable seems awkward. It has a double USB connection on the computer end, in order to guarantee sufficient power for the drive, but I find it works fine using just the USB3 connection to attach it to my desktop system. YMMV.

The included file backup software is a little quirky and limited, and will fail if you are trying to backup any open files. Once I got it working, it seems to be good enough to get by.

You'll probably want to get better backup software. Fortunately, many excellent, free, alternatives exist, like FreeFileSync, or the free version of Macrium.

As of 7/2011, The price/gigabyte is the same as their similar, green-colored 750G drive, so you can choose according to your capacity (and color) needs.

I'm using the SIIG USB3 kit Superspeed USB3.0 Bay Hub Kit with A Frontaccessible 4PORT Bay Hub A 2-PORT Pci to talk to it, since my older system lacks native USB3 support.

Pros:
*Rugged
*Fast
*Purple :)

Cons:
*Awkward Cable
*Software

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Tech Support Never Responded! although Product is Very Good so far., June 16, 2013

PROS:
1. It has a nice "heavy duty" construction without being bulky
2. It also has a nice grip and feel because of the rubber material on outside which also won't let it slide easily on the table surface preventing it from falling.
3. Very quiet
4. Very fast connection using USB 3.0.

CONS:
1. It ships formatted with the very old FAT32 file system as opposed to most recent (and not so recent) Windows Laptop/PC Hard Drives and external Hard Drives that have been using NTFS since Win 2000 and XP. You will likely want to reformat as NTFS (review FAT32 vs. NTFS file systems).

2. Extremely Disappointed with its Technical Support.
I Inquired on June 3rd about how long would it take to reformat my Storejet 1TB external drive. I used the preinstalled Transcend software that came in the StoreJet to reformat it as NTFS. I started reformating on an afternoon and when I came back from work the next day at night it was still running, about 30Hrs!!! I cancelled the process and contacted TechSupport on their website, provided all the required info: S/N, purchase date, problem description..... I received email confirmation a few minutes later stating "Our support representative will contact you promptly...."

It has been 2 weeks! and I still haven't heard from Transcend's Tech-Support. I hope the quality of the product is such that I won't have to contact their support again.

Transcend formatting software is not reliable. I would not recommend you use it. Instead use the formatting option from Windows found in the "Disk Management" tool, which will format as NTFS your 1TB StoreJet in about 3hrs 35min (My system: Win 7, Intel i7 processor and using a USB 3.0 connection with the StoreJet).

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 20, 2013 5:29:57 PM PDT
Dear Sergio,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Those drives comes in FAT32 because it is a fully compatible file system with Linux, windows, Mac, etc. Also, our software Autoformat tool is just designed for memory cards.

The HDD comes with the Y-USB cable, did you plug both USB terminals to the computer? it is the cable loosing?

Please feel free to contact us by phone or email should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter. Email us at: AmazonSupport-US@Transcend-Info.com or by phone at (714) 921-2000 x2244.

Yours in Service,

Captain Transcend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Requires using two USB 3.0 port to work., July 13, 2012
The drive performs as expected, but I am disappointed that it requires two ports on my computer. On my laptop, there is one port on each side, so without a hub, it can't be plugged in at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast drive, works with Linux out of the box, July 20, 2014
Agatha Coronado (Los Angeles area) - See all my reviews
Last week I received, and fell in love with, the Transcend 1 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - Military Drop Standards (TS1TSJ25M3). So I decided to order another Transcend drive that I can alternate with the first for backing up files, and I ordered this drive. It arrived today, and I'm as pleased with it as I am with the other one.

As always for me, it's important that a product not only work with Linux but work WELL with Linux. This drive does, straight out of the box. (Note: I did format it as ext3 using gParted before using it because its original FAT32 file system would lose case sensitivity on file names, and that's not acceptable for this 30-year UNIX/Linux person. Aside from that, it works out of the box.)

As I noted in my review for the other drive, there is some software included on it, but it's only for Mac and windows. However, that's not an issue for me as I wouldn't use it anyway; I like managing my backups myself.

If you're a Linux user and you're going to reformat the drive, you might want to follow its warranty web page first. I really like how easy Transcend has made it to register your products, activate their warranties, and see visual proof on their web site regarding your warranties' start and end dates. Nice.

This is a great product for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, March 12, 2013
Exactly as described. Fast shipping. Works as intended. Actually dropped it on my kitchen floor when I was getting it out of the box (like an idiot) and it still worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greta line of products..., August 20, 2012
We have been using the transcend products for years and have not had a problem with one of these storejets...

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, December 7, 2012
I have 2 portable hard drives, this one and a non durable one. I take my portable hard drives everywhere and this one is great!!! I love that it withstands being dropped and being hauled around and works flawlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, hopeless seller, July 10, 2011
The product is just par excellent.
I wanted a compact storage, with high storage capacity,
but also a high data transfer rate. This is what it is.
None other than Transcend does all these three together.
Please buy directly from Transcend USA themselves. The
seller on Amazon was bad to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to connect the hardware and the software to run ..., August 26, 2014
Uber-fast delivery. I use Prime and I think this came on a Sunday. Very easy to connect the hardware and the software to run the backup was easy. If anything I wish the instruction booklet was in a little larger font but it was so simple most people wouldn't even really need to read them. I bought the suggested hard shell case with it and that too was surprisingly better quality than expected. Not a necessity but keeps the cable from getting lost and protects the drive from getting beat up. The drive feels like it will last forever. Very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sort of works, but slow, June 17, 2014
Took 12 hours, but it let me copy about 400 GB of data. On the second time I've connected it, it spins, but won't mount. I'd used Trascend flash media in the past, but I guess I'll go back to known brands for hard drives.

ETA: It mounts now, almost every time it's connected, but it's still the slowest drive I've used. It takes at least 10 times longer to copy the exact same set of files as the two other drives I regularly use. Various Macs, 10.7 and up, most USB2. Still a regretted purchase.