Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on March 14, 2013
Review and comparison of the new Transcend 16g Wi-Fi Class 10 card vs the Eye-Fi Pro X2 Class 6 Wi-Fi card. This is going to be a top level review and not an exhaustive review of each card's features. Hopefully it will give you some information you haven't read elsewhere so to aid in your purchase decision.

I've had the Eye-Fi for a while so I am a bit more familiar with it but even saying that, the Eye-Fi is a much more mature piece of hardware and software.

What I like the best about the Eye-FI is that it can operate autonomously, uploading photo's to Facebook through your phone without any intervention by the user. The Trancend card, although newer and faster, requires the user to select, download and then share (upload) the pictures to your account. For me, the ability to upload to Facebook is what I'm looking for and I prefer the unattended operation of the Eye-Fi. You may feel differently.

First, let's look at the card's memory speed. Neither card is fast but the Class 10 Transcend is quite a bit faster than the Class 6 Eye-Fi
Using CrystalDiskMark as the benchmark, I recorded the following results.

Transcend 16g Class 10

Seq Read - 90.21mb Seq Write - 81.06mb
512K Read- 73.33mb 512k Write - 8.106mb
4K Read - 3.237mb 4k Write - 1.484mb
4k QD32 Read - 3.062mb 4k QD32 Wrt - 1.136

As you can see from the above data the Transcend wins the speed race although neither card is speedy as compared to the Sandisk.

Next is setup. I'm not going to spend a lot of time here and there is a lot of detail which is outlined in each card's user guide. The Eye-Fi is set up by plugging the card into the included card reader and into your computer's USB port. You then log into the card via your browser and Eye'Fi's web page and set up the card for your desired operation. As I said earlier, the Eye-Fi has been around longer and is much more mature so you have a lot more control over what the card does when you ask it to transfer a photo.

After some trial and error with the Transcend, mostly centered around keeping it powered up while I was configuring it, I decided to try setting up the Transcend the same way, while plugged into my computer's card reader. That was the ticket, it allowed me to get everything working without worrying about the card shutting down while in the camera.

Advantage goes to Eye-Fi here, not only for the more mature utilities but also because the Eye-Fi card is recognized by my Nikon D600's firmware and the camera knows too keep power to it when the card needs to connect and transmit. The Transcend requires a lot of power and I discovered that I either had to keep the Nikon D600 in the "Live View" mode to keep the card powered or change the Custom Setting C2, Standby Timer, to some long period of time, like 5 minutes, to give me enough time to configure and transmit.

Operation:

I like to run both cards in the "Internet" mode as opposed to peer to peer. This way I set my phone to be a WiFi hotspot, connected to the internet via my mobile broadband connection. I install the Wifi card in my second SD slot and set that slot for use as overflow so that normally my photos are saved to the first card slot in which I have my fast Sandisk. I then go about my shooting. With the Eye-Fi card my work flow is to look at the pictures I took and "protect" those that I want the Eye-Fi to upload. Then when I'm ready to upload I simply use my camera to copy the protected photos to the second card slot...the Eye-Fi card, at which time the Eye'Fi knows to upload those photo's to my Facebook page and mark them as private so only I can see them. It does all this without intervention on my part. My camera has some really great built in photo editing utilities so I really do not need to post process on my phone or tablet so having the Eye-Fi work autonomously is great for my workflow.

I would do almost the same thing with the Transcend, would copy the photos to the second card, the Transcend. Then I would have to use my phone to select and download those pics to my phone. Once that was complete I could use either the Android Wi-Fi SD app or Facebook, or Flickr, or whatever, to transfer the photo's to my account.

There are many more features to the Eye-Fi card including Geocaching and endless memory so I suggest you go to their website and investigate all it has to offer before you make up your mind as to which card to purchase.

The Transcend card does have some potential and because I only paid $39 for it I plan on keeping it. It will be interesting to see how often Transcend updates the firmware and how many more features they can get into this card and mobile apps. I didn't mention the Transcend's "Shoot and View" option because my D600 has a great display but if your on camera display makes it difficult to see what you just did, the Shoot and View option may be important to you.

For me, the winner is the Eye-Fi hands down and I eagerly await the next generation of this card.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Bill,

First of all, thanks for your valued opinion and suggestion.

Transcend WiFi SD card is designed to organize into a simple file system, letting users search and download what you want, when you want.
Direct Share mode activates the Wi-Fi SD card's own dedicated wireless signal to create peer-to-peer connections between the Wi-Fi SD card and your mobile device. Perfect for use on outdoor adventures and fun filled vacations, Direct Share allows you to share your whole collection with up to three devices wherever you go.
Internet Mode allows the Wi-Fi SD card to connect to the Internet via a nearby wireless Internet hotspot or even using the personal hotspot feature of your smartphone or tablet. By using this connection, you can download photos from the card and then email to friends or upload them to your favorite websites.

Besides, to make sure every supported camera has better compatibility, whatever high level DLSR or commercial DC, we suggest users to turn off power saving mode using WiFi SD card.

The main purpose of our WIFI card is sharing photos as the eye-fi card, and the best thing is the Wifi SD card is much cheaper than Eye-fi with more capacity.

Transcend ! Excellent ! Eye-fi bye ! ļ

Best Regards

Captain Transcend
on December 13, 2012
I purchased the item direct from Taiwan as it was not available yet from Amazon. I used it with my Olympus TG-1 camera which is on the compatible list. Using Direct Share it easily paired with my iphone 5 and Macbook Air. I was able to download files and videos quickly and easily as promised in the instructions. Using Internet Mode, I was never able to connect with the Iphone 5. I was able to connect to my Macbook Air and download files. It was much slower to download in Internet Mode than in Direct Share mode. My card has firmware 1.2. I contacted tech support for feedback. I am going to try this card out in my Canon 60D as well and see if it makes a difference. For comparison I have 2 Eye-Fi cards. This is definitely faster than the Eye-Fi and at least in my experience, far more reliable. The fact that it connected in direct share mode every time and let me preview or download photos every time makes it a worthwhile purchase. In direct share mode, it does what it says it will do. In internet mode, at least for me, it works just not with my iphone.

Update: With the Canon EOS 60D/Ipad 3 I had similar results. Worked fine in direct mode but intermittent in Internet Mode. Taking the card out of the camera and erasing the folder with the images you select to put it into the direct/internet mode seems to fix most quirks. Power cycling the camera or restarting the iOS app fixed some things as well. To be clear, in Direct Mode it might take 30 seconds to get going but it worked every time. In Internet mode I had to do the above mentioned tricks to connect. It did connect in Internet Mode to the Olympus TG-1 but it was also spotty, meaning sometimes it could find the card, sometimes not. In all cases the transfer speed was abysmal, essentially useless on the 60D (presumably because of the file sizes). It would not transfer the RAW photos. I could transfer videos from both cameras after they were shot. The ones from the Olympus could almost play in real time, the 60D videos had to be transferred first as they stuttered constantly due to file size. The 60D (latest firmware) would not use the card without formatting it (not unique in my experience with the 60D). The Olympus had no problems. After the format neither camera could use DIrect/Internet Mode until I put the card in my computer, saw that the files that triggered Internet/Direct Mode (due to the format) were erased, ejected it, put it back in the computer and the files suddenly reappeared. The Restore Defaults picture was corrupted and 2 DCIM folders were created preventing me from seeing the 60D photos in Browse Mode (Shoot and View mode still worked) on the iOS App. I put the card back in my computer and erased the folder with the special images, then ejected, reinserted it into my computer and they reappeared. Now, it works fine in both cameras. I can consistently use Direct Share Mode without an issue. Internet Mode is still intermittent and too slow for practical use. I will update this review if this process is recurrent.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2012
I was excited to see this card announced and that it was compatible with the Nikon D800. I've heard that the eye-fi version is mostly unusable due to its speed, and I had hoped that this card would be the practical solution to using my iPad in the studio to let my clients see shots as they are taken.

The card operates in one of two modes, "Direct Share" (where the card acts as a wifi server, and the device (tablet, smart-phone etc) connects to that hotspot, and "Internet Mode" where both the card and the device connect to an existing common hot spot.

After inserting the card, the first thing I had to do was change my camera's browse folder from the default (DCM100 or whatever) to "All" so that it would see the 3 virtual files on the card that are used to activate the different modes or restore defaults. To turn on the card, you are supposed to delete one of the images, which tells the card to go into action, apparently until is loses power.

The first time I tried to connect, I followed the instructions to put the card in "Direct Share" mode, but when I went to iPad, the hotspot didn't show up in the list of available networks. I turned the camera off and on and started over, and the next time, the network showed up, but when I entered the password, it said it couldn't connect and then the network disappeared from the list. On a hunch, I repeated my steps, but did them _faster_. This time it connected successfully. So I went to the transcend WiFi iOS app, and when it launched, it said it wasn't connected. It seemed that what was happening was the hotspot was coming online and then going away.

As a test, I repeated all the steps once more, but this time, after activating the card, I used one hand and continuously scrolled through photos on my camera while I did the rest of the steps on my iPad with my other hand, and sure enough: it worked.

I had my camera set up to use both card slots: the CF slot as the primary, and the SD slot as the secondary. For each shot, a RAW file would be written to the CF card, and a "Basic" quality jpg would be written to the Transcend card for fast transmission for review on the iPad. I was able to take a few test shots, and view the shots on my iPad screen.

But here's the problem. As soon as I leave my camera alone (stop pushing buttons that force it to read from or write to the SD card) for a few seconds, the wifi hotspot dies. Reconnecting means following all the steps from the beginning, which is not practical in a real setting. The same thing happens in both "Direct Share" mode and "Internet" mode.

I suspect that the problem is with the electronics in the D800: even with the power on, when the card is not being used, it stops sending power to the card so that it doesn't use power and drain the battery. Without power, the card is not able to operate as a wifi device.

Technically, this card works with the Nikon D800. Practically, it is useless, and as such, should not be listed as compatible.

I give it 2 stars instead of one because the software, instructions etc seem to work well. The price point is good, and the market is ripe for a product like this. Unfortunately, this solution just will not work with my camera, even though much has been made of its compatibility with the D800. It's going back.

Update:
I sent the card back shortly after writing this review. I should note however that according to the comments added to my review, this apparently works with LiveView activated (this was not noted in the instructions that came with my card, or on the Transcend website at the time. I have no idea if it is now). This would have been great, except for one thing: There's a bug in the D800 firmware that causes LiveView to always show in exposure preview mode when the camera is set to Manual. In the studio, when shooting with lights, you ALWAYS shoot in manual, and generally your aperture is set to work with flashes, which means preview mode will always show a really dark (or black) screen. This is not Transcend's fault, of course, it's Nikon's. But it does mean that, as a practical matter, this card is not usable with the D800 in the setting where a wifi card is most likely to be useful.

Update to my update:
Nikon today announced a firmware update for the D800 which fixes the LiveView bug. I may just try this card again.

Also, I'm adding a star to my review to reflect apparently improved documentation, and excellent responsiveness by Transcend to the issue I raised.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2013
I tested the card with three cameras a Nikon D300s, D7000 and GoPro HD Hero 2. The card was able to send pictures and video from all three to my iPhone without a hitch. One commenter had said that there were problems with keeping a connection with his Nikon. But this could easily be solved by putting the camera into live view mode or changing the playback display timer so it stays on for a few minutes instead of seconds.

The speed it connects to my phone was faster than I expected. I tested the range by going to another room about 25 feet away and it didn't slow down by much. The instructions were easy to follow. The price point is really nice.

What concerned me was that a couple of times when I took the card out it felt warm. So, I hope it doesn't overheat if I ever have to put it through its paces. Also, I wish it was able to handle RAW files.

But all in all, this definitely was a good purchase.
on June 17, 2013
I just received this card this weekend. I use a Nikon D5100, it's listed on the compatibility list as a compatible model - The SD Card does not show up on any Android device I own as an available network. - HTC EVO Shift - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - Motorola Xoom - LG Optimus Slider. Yes the camera is turned on and working, I've taken photos on the card. The WiFi feature apparently does not work... Any suggestion or did I fall for an overpriced SD Card when I already own 8 32GB class 10 SD's???

**Update**

After contacting their support team, who responding very promptly, I was instructed to download and install the firmware update. Richard even sent me the link to the exact file I needed to download. After following the installation instructions, my Xoom Tablet found the WiFi SD device and once configured worked like a charm. I would've changed my review to 5-Stars but I think the Manufacturer should place on their instructions to update the firmware before using, particularly since they have had known problems with these cards in the past. Now it' a wait and see to determine the reliability of the WiFi feature of the card. I'll update after extensive use and provide an additional star if it proves to be reliable.

*Update 6/20/13*
After playing around with this for a few days I came to realize a few things I thought were worth mentioning. The instructions are a little confusing, but using common sense you should be able to get this working. Once in your camera and turned on, you'll need to wait 3-5 minutes in order for the WiFi to actually turn on in order to see it on your WiFi broswer on your Android device. Once you find the correct SSID and enter the PW, then use the Transcend App to browse for the Android device. It works like a charm. Transmission of the image files is slower than I expected but acceptable. The one feature that seems to be missing from the APP is the ability to save the images on your Android device directly from the Transcend APP. This would save time so that you can do some basic editing and have backup copies of the file stored on you Android device.

Also, if you are going to be using your android device (or laptop) as a previewer, you will need to turn off the power save on your camera. Once your camera shuts down or goes to sleep, the WiFi card will lose it's connectivity and if you are at home or someplace else where you normally connect to WiFi using that device, it will automatically connect to the other network causing you to reconnect it to the SD WiFi card all over again; thus having to use the Transcend APP to scan and search for your android device. This can take a few minutes each time your camera goes to sleep..
on March 6, 2013
Nearly impossible to stay connected (Sony NEX-5) with my New iPad (3rd generation). And you can only select up to 30 images to import each time. You need to select each photo individually!! (No "Select All" feature)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Weiming,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

The camera need to be in live view mode during the using of the card; otherwise, the card doesnt have enought power to send the signal. Also, around May, we will release a new version of the card with automatic download feature.

Please feel free to contact us by phone or email should you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter. Email us at: AmazonSupport-US@Transcend-Info.com or by phone at (714) 921-2000 x2244.

The manufacturer commented on the review below
I had hopes of replacing an Eye-Fi card which I have always found to be unreliable.

Forget it.

I am getting no Wi-Fi Signal.

Transcend's online troubleshooting advice says nothing except Reset, which I have done several times without success.

No phone number for tech support. No online tech support.

Email form only - which does not display a Submit button on when used with Windows Chrome Browser.

Forty minutes is too long to waste on this garbage product.

I've owned a lot of Transcend products and never needed tech support. I'll think twice in the future.

Jerry
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Jerry,

Sorry to heard about the problem you have with our wifi card.

For better service, can you please tell us brand/model of the camera are you using?

have you plug the card to your computer's card reader and check the signal?

on May 20, 2013
I used this wifi card along with the below to turn my Nikon D7000 into a great photo booth along with 2 Alien Bees B400 Strobe lights and a white muslin background. I also use the cybersync transmitter and receivers.

Allows guest to walk into the photo booth (It's just a mini studio) which I can setup in the corner at wedding receptions, etc. The foot pedal along with the pre-trigger cable allow the subjects to snap their own pictures and be as funny as they want. Seems having a photographer behind the camera makes people not come out and be as funny as they are when they know no one's behind the camera. I have an assistant had out props such as hats and mustaches on sticks along with chalk boards, etc. for guest to write whatever they want.
(I have the camera set to manual focus along with a high f-stop so there's no issues with users being blurry. Camera is set with a 50mm prime lens and covers the entire backdrop)

The wifi card allows users to view their images on my ipad and the otterbox case protect it from kids/rough guest. (also another reason to have an assistant).
I tried the Eye-Fi Card along with Nikons USB Wifi card, and for the money, the transcend card was the best bang for the buck. I leave the camera in live view mode, so it never looses a connection to the ipad by turning off the wifi card. Also that's why I needed the ac power cord for my camera. The ipad is also plugged into power.

Hope this helps someone else setup an awesome photo booth as well!

* Nikon 27018 EP-5a Power Supply Connector
* Kapaxen EH-5 EH-5A AC Power Adapter
* ChargerCity Music Mic Microphone Stand Tablet Mount
* Hosa Cable CMS110 1/8 inch TRS to 1/4 Inch TRS Adapter Cable - 10 Foot
* Boss Fs-5U Nonlatching Footswitch
* C2G / Cables to Go 03170 3.5mm Stereo Coupler Female/Female
* Fotodiox Pro Pre-Trigger Remote Shutter Release Cable for Nikon D7000
* OtterBox Defender Series Case with Screen Protector and Stand for the New iPad
on June 11, 2013
I purchased this card and used it with a Sony RX1, shooting in ARW (Sony's raw file) and JPG. I successfully copied JPGs from the card to an iPhone 5 using Wi-Fi, but sometimes, it would take 3-4 password entries to connect to the network (should have only required doing it once, and only for setup). When I copied the files off of the card to process the ARW files in Lightroom and Photoshop, I found some of them to be corrupted. This is unacceptable--I see no corruption with my other card, which is a SanDisk. I'm returning the card.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Eric,

To fix the problem, please update the firmware :

Windows users

Mac Users

on June 5, 2014
I was successfully able to connect the card with my phone and I used it several times to edit and post photos online. BUT the first time I attempted to put the card into a reader and copy them over was a disaster.

I copied the files over and the majority of the RAW files (NEF) were corrupt. The JPG files were fine, but I do my editing on the RAW files. I ejected the card and put it into another reader to transfer thinking maybe the reader had an issue, but it did the same thing. I tried one more time but this time I decided to delete the files already on my computer and copy into a clean folder instead of overwrite them (gigantic mistake) only the card completely crashed and I lost all of the files. This part was my fault for not creating a new folder to try it - I was starting to panic about the corruption at this point and really didn't think it through :)

Since I only use the jpg files for phone transfer to post online during an event, I'm going to use a much different strategy. Thankfully my camera has 2 SD slots so I'm going to send the RAW files to a SanDisk as I have never had any corruption issues with those cards and I'll send the jpg files to the Transcend.

Luckily I learned how I should approach the use of the Transcend card early on. If I had been covering a major music festival when I found this out, it would have been much uglier!