Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 19, 2010
I'd say Spoon is one of the most consistantly reliable indie bands out there today. They haven't put out a bad or mediocre album in over 15 years and I think they're at the point where the "Spoon" sound is whatever they say it is. If Transference had been their second or third record, or even if they had followed up Girls Can Tell with this album, I think most fans would be confused. Even though this album has caught me a little off guard, one thing is for sure, and that's that this album is a grower. I picked it up at a small indie store three days ago that usually (and quietly) sells new releases a day or two before the official release date. Since then I've listened to this record front to back about 7 times in the car and at work and the more I listen to it, the harder it is for me to think of it than anything else but the next logical step in Spoon's career.

Unlike the new Vampire Weekend record (which takes all of the bands quirks at turns them up to ten way too early in the band's career), Spoon smartly diverged from what people might have expected...especially if they're newcomers to the band. I think if they had made a record that sounded like the sequel to Gimme Fiction or Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, they would have been accused of playing it safe and falling into a rut.

Rather than that, they went into the studio by themselves and found their essence I think. This is their seventh record and I think they've earned this kind of creative license. The important thing to remember is that just because these songs don't sound like classic Spoon songs at first doesn't mean they aren't. Songs like "The Mystery Zone," "I Saw the Light," and "Nobody Gets Me But You," couldn't have been written by any other band and will become (diehard) fan favorites in no time.

I'd be willing to bet that even though Transference isn't as immediately accessible as the last 3 or 4 albums, and thus may not be appreciated by newcomers quite so much, this record will be on plenty of top 10 lists at the end of the year. It should also make their live shows even better because when you put your headphones on, you really start to appreciate how catchy these songs are.

In closing...has Spoon ever done you wrong in the past? Of course not. Transference is no different.
44 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2010
Spoon's latest album, Transference, is another strong release from the indie rock band from Texas. Like their other albums such as Gimme Fiction and Girls Can Tell, the emphasis is on good songs and mood before over the top musicianship. There is also a lot of echo throughout, providing the feel of a release out of the late `70s. The opener "Before Destruction" is both sparse and full of sonics before kicking into three of the album's best tunes. "Is Love Forever?", "The Mystery Zone", and "Who Makes Your Money" are very strong tracks that are memorable from the get go while retaining a sense of melancholy. "Goodnight Laura" is a pretty piano ballad while "Got Nuffin" and "Trouble Comes Running" are raw and border on hard rock. "I Saw the Light" and the aforementioned "Who Makes Your Money" are both very moody and the vibe on each is hypnotic at times. The remaining tracks like "Out Go the Lights" and "Nobody Gets Me But You" are decent as well. All told, another winner from Spoon and well worth picking up or downloading.
on February 1, 2010
All of these people claiming to be longtime fans and saying they can't get this album are crazy! Sure it's not Gax5 or Gimme Fiction but who wants a repeat of that. I'm tired of seeing good indie bands sell out (i.e. Kings of Leon, Modest Mouse). Sure this is a more subdued effort but after letting this soak in it has some really great tracks. "Nobody gets me but you" is simply an amazing slow burner. Is Love Forever, The Mystery Zone, Written in Reverse, Trouble Comes Running, and Out Go the Lights are great as well. Trouble Comes Running is an uptempo gem. Check this CD out - I like the fact it is subdued as it gives a transparent view of the band.
on November 23, 2012
I really love the songs I really love on here ("Trouble Comes Running" and "Nobody Gets Me But You"). And I really like some of the others ("Before Destruction" and "Written in Reverse" and "I Saw the Light"). There are a few I skip, but the great songs are so awesome that it is a 4 star album for me. I think their greatest weakness as a band is not knowing when (or how) to end a song. But they have interesting and quirky lyrics and good beats with a little bit of soul.
on February 10, 2010
Chances are on first 3 or 4 listens you will wonder what they are up to here. But give it some time. They are clearing a new path. In doing so, sometimes the path is not to your liking. Well.....go listen to something else for awhile. But when you return, you will see what I mean.
on January 24, 2010
This is a Spoon album. For Spoon fans, that's all you really need to know. The sound and songs fit into their catalog.

Every Spoon record has it's own unique sound, but most records have subtly updated the sound from the previous record. This record did not, and I think that's why it's being looked at as a "departure" or "experimental". Neither of these are true. It just so happens that the last record was a pop music cherry bomb and this record is stripped down asymmetrical pop, and yes it does pop.

I recommend you listen to this record 3 times before you decide if you like it, I have a feeling that second time it will hit your ears much differently than the first.

Also, Spoon has produced all of their albums except "telephono" and "softsounds ep", Jim Eno and Brit Daniels have Co-Producer credit on every other Spoon record, they just always had an outside producer to collaborate with. They have been more involved with the engineering and mix of their records than most groups are.

If you are going into this record listening for the next "cherry bomb", "sister jack", or "way we get by", you already missed the point.

In summation this record is not: weird, a radical departure, overly edited or processed, inaccessible, without hooks, or a misfire.

It is another great record by Spoon however.
on November 24, 2014
It's bit more moody and less hooks than their later work but enjoyable on the first listen. One of those albums that seems that it will reveal itself more on subsequent explorations. Definitely a late night chill out album.
on May 18, 2011
Bought this CD ( Transferance ) and was pleased with the group. I have urged my friends to buy it and enjoy! Cuts 2 and 3 are my favorite. Shades of the Beatles back when. I would like to see Spoon on stage but can't find a venue that they are near WV or Ohio playing. If anyone knows when they might tour please let me know.
on March 14, 2010
I'm not sure if it's the songs, production, and/or sequencing but I don't think Transference measures up with Spoon's previous output. I've been a long-time fan of Spoon and have given Transference multiple listens but it's not one that I'll think to put on when I need a good dose of their music. Still, there are some tracks that I really enjoy including "The Mystery Zone", "I Saw The Light", "Out Go The Lights", and "Got Nuffin".
on October 15, 2014
I went into this album knowing people don't really like it as much, but I personally love it as much as the others. There's a certain emptiness to this album that really works for it. I know that doesn't make sense, but the whole album sounds kind of depressed, and to me the emptiness works for it perfectly.