4.0 out of 5 stars Why do I work a boring job?
Published on July 1, 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Shill comments and ratings
Published 5 months ago by Mr. A.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why do I work a boring job?, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Transformative Travel in Nepal: Fulfilling a Dream in the Himalayas (Kindle Edition)
After recently reading Around The World Travel (a male experience of India and the Himalaya) I was intrigued to hear a story from the same corner of the world from the opposite gender. Let's just say I was up until the early morning hours to find out how it ended. Perhaps it's just my recent pick in literature, but the theme of this book has been about free-spirit as well as discovery and I can honestly say it encourages me to think twice about my boring job. I might just have to go on a little adventure myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds you its never too late to live a dream, July 10, 2012
This book title "Transformative Travel" describes its content very well -
how travel (or any realized dream) can transform your life. For Kate, it was
challenging herself - unfit and in her fifties - to do treks in the Himalayas.
she accomplished a life goal which helped motivate her to do more with her life.
It is a simple lesson but a profound one...and something we should all remember
when we are burdened with all the chains of daily life....

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great Book!!, July 1, 2012
Sandy Bose (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book about Kate's journey with her friend Kay to the Himalayas. First I loved reading Kate's history. She's an independent person who has had many adventures in life and seems fearless. This book describes how she realized her dream of trekking in the Himalayas. It's also a book about personal growth, uncertainty, courage and victory. It's also about FUN! Kate's book is very well-written. Her narrative is engaging and I felt like I was right there on the Langtang Trek with Kate and Kay. There are some beautiful photographs in the book. The book is also beautifully formatted.

I think most people who read this book will be inspired to take their own personal journey.

I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shill comments and ratings, February 22, 2014
I am thoroughly perplexed at the high ratings this book received (likely all from friends of the author). Nothing transformative here. The author “Kate” takes no responsibility for her self (except for her makeup?) and is completely dependent on her guides. Maybe next time she should put in a cart and wheeled around Nepal. The book does explain why Americans in general are not liked or respected around the world.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ill-prepared for her adventure, March 11, 2014
This is a short memoir (164 pages) of the author's trek in the Himalayas. Although it is written with self-deprecating humor, I can't get past the fact that the author was not prepared for this trek and violated or ignored much of the good advice available about an Annapurna trek. It is only exciting because her lack of readiness for her adventure put her and possibly others at risk. The reader doesn't really learn much about trekking or Nepal from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiration to live your dream, April 16, 2013
Written in a folksy style that makes you think you're talking to your best friend, this book makes me want to stop everything and go trekking in the Himalayas!

While the book includes some tips on trekking, the real benefit is the feeling you get of accompanying the author on her trip - feeling her pain of trekking without starting out in good physical condition and her joy at making it to her final destination.

I could relate when the author described her slight pang of regret for missing her shot at the final ascent. I visited Tibet some years ago and my only regret was not seeing the Himalayas. Now I have to go!

This book is more than a travel book. It's an inspiration to live your dream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travelers Will Love This Book, December 19, 2012
I am passionate about traveling so when I saw this book about Nepal I was compelled to read it since Nepal is one of the few places I have never been. The author writes in a way that makes you feel like you are there right alongside her. Her story about her journey through Nepal really reminded me why I love to travel -- you are given a new perspective on life and a new meaning for living it.

Thanks to this book I can't wait to plan my next global journey, maybe I'll even end up in Nepal!

I have shared this book with many of my friends who I have met traveling the world and we all agree that it really gets to the heart of why seeing the world is so important to living a full and meaningful life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Escapism!, October 15, 2012
Alan Northcott (Sebastian, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I was intrigued by this book. I have never been near the Himalayas, and imagine I never will now, but Kate Benzin brought the experience to me. Understandably assuming that she could deal with the trek in an ordinary way, she introduced the issues that beset her as the days passed, and it is easy to feel her developing concerns.

Not that this is a depressing documentary, or catalogue of woes - no, Benzin manages to engage with many side stories and little known (to me) facts that bring the book to life, and make it a gripping read. It is a very personal story of challenge and incident.

Add to this the fact that, unlike an increasing number of books in these days of easy publishing, it is excellently written and edited, and includes several maps and photographs, and it is an enjoyable delight.

An eye-opening read for those who have the spirit of adventure!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enjoyable read, September 26, 2012
I really enjoyed the author's honest and introspective account of her trek in the Himalayas at the age of 54. I especially appreciated her thoughts on trekkers who feel that the area should remain 'unspoiled'. She says, "How very patronizing of us! That is so easy for us trekkers to say. We are here by choice. We will all finish our excursions and then return to the modern conveniences that we say we abhor but choose not to live without."

The lack of contractions in this first-person narrative came across as somewhat stilted at first, and it took me a while to get used to it. But then I figured that maybe her experience teaching English in Indonesia and/or a desire to better serve an international audience might have dictated the formal word use. All in all, a very interesting book and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can relate to trekking and being unfit, September 13, 2012
Reading this book was a delight. I trekked in Nepal over 20 years ago, and would like to go back, but I am older and unfit. It was a delight to read of the author's experience as an older unfit woman doing a trek. I liked the style which had a nice mix of diary like day by day approach plus some background on Nepal and the development of the trekking industry in that country.

The author describes a trek in the Langtang area which is not an area I am familiar with, but the descriptions took me back to the tea houses on the Everest base camp trek.

I can also relate to the difficulties of dealing with the altitude - it's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't tired to breath at high altitude, never mind actually put one one foot in front of the other

Rate and Discover Movies