4.0 out of 5 stars Minor Upgrades From 2013 Model But Still A Winner!
Published 7 months ago by Subir Singh

I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I was committed to liking it (I bought a ton of accessories for it). After 2 weeks I must accept the truth. I don't like it. It's not going to work for me. I am so disappointed that, after living my life in scorn of anything Apple, I am seriously considering buying an Ipad.

Thanks to the detailed reviews on Amazon, I...
Published 6 months ago by Gary G.

4.0 out of 5 stars Minor Upgrades From 2013 Model But Still A Winner!, July 15, 2014
This review is from: ASUS Transformer Book 10.1" Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
The T100TA-C1-GR(S) is the 2014 version of the T100TA-C1-GR. Looks like ASUS is following the `S' convention for minor upgrades ;o) This upgrade is indeed minor - seems like the only two differences between this 2014 model and its 2013 predecessor is, 1. Increase in processor clock speed from 1.33 GHz to 1.46 GHz, and, 2. Addition of two new colors - Red and White (ok, ok...this is a little more than a minor upgrade!).

The T100(S) is a great little Windows 8 transformer laptop/tablet with a few flaws. It fills in the void for those who need a reliable keyboard laptop but yearn for a tablet. I would have thought that there would be more choices out there at the T100 (S)'s price point but even a year later there aren't very many competitors (Lenovo Yoga, maybe?!!)

The T100(S) is equipped with a new generation Intel Atom Quad Core Processor with 2 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 64GB SSD. The sum of this configuration greatly aids the T100(S) to deal effectively and efficiently with Windows 8.1 and its intensive graphic and touch features. My T100(S) operates just as well on Win 8.1 as my Retina iPad does on iOS7!

The T100(S) has a bright, clear 10.1" 1366 x 768 HD IPS multi-touch display. The touch function coupled with the snappy hardware delivers. There is barely any lag.

The tablet docks into the keyboard which houses a full size USB 3.0 port. The tablet has a micro-USB port which is the charging port but can also be used as a regular micro-USB port. It is also equipped with a micro-HDMI port, a micro-SD card slot and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The T100(S) is primarily constructed of plastic composite and glass. It weighs 2.46 lbs - 1.26 lbs for the tablet and 1.2 lbs for the keyboard. The keyboard does seem a little heavier than it should be, especially since it does not house any batteries. The top of the keyboard including the wrist-rest and touch-pad areas could be aluminium and might explain the weight. The back of the tablet is smooth plastic while the back of the keyboard is rubberized.

The keyboard is smaller and in proportion to the size of the laptop. The keys are a little smaller but just as functional as any regular laptop. The keys do not feel like an add-on peripheral, they feel more like a built-in laptop keyboard.

The primary issues I have had with the laptop:
1. The laptop is charged through the micro-USB port. This would not have necessarily been an issue but for the fact that, unlike conventional laptops, the T100(S) needs to acquire some (~10%) charge before it starts and is usable.
2. The battery has been of a little concern. Starting with a 100% charge, the behavior has been inconsistent. At times, it will hold its charge in standby for 4-5 days with very little decay. Other days, it will be discharge in standby mode within a day. I have been playing around with settings in Win8.1 as it seems that the batteries have the potential to hold a charge for a long duration. (See Tips below)
3. The dock connection is still a little flimsy as the 2013 model. Even after the tablet has clicked into place, closing it over the keyboard seems to press against the dock release button and causes it to slip out of the dock. 9 out of 10 times I will pull it out of my case and the tablet would have partially slipped out of the dock.
4. Though this might be more an Win8.1 issue, the touchpad seems to, at times, have a mind of its own.

Bonus Features:
1. Microsoft Office 2013 Home/Student included - this is a very valued bonus.
2. Unlimited ASUS cloud storage for 1 year.

A definite Recommend.

Tips:
I was experiencing erratic usage times when recovering from "Sleep" mode. I was unable to enable the "Hibernate" option on this version of Windows and on researching found that I would have to add a "Hibernate" shortcut. The "Hibernate" start-up times are very similar to "Sleep" mode and battery life is the same as where I left it when hibernating.

Right click on a blank area on the desktop, Select 'New -> Shortcut', type 'shutdown.exe /h' in the 'Type the location of the item:' text-box. Click 'Next', Type a name for the shortcut and click 'Finish'. Find the shortcut on the desktop and click 'Properties' to set a 'Shortcut key' or to 'Change Icon' There are great icons available for free on the web to fit in with the Windows 8 schemes. You can add the shortcut to your Metro interface for a one-touch Hibernate.

Pros:
* Good price-point for a convertible laptop
* Good convertible laptop/tablet
* Bright, clear 10.1" 1366 x 768 HD IPS multi-touch display
* Great hardware: New generation Intel Atom Quad Core Processor with 2 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 64GB SSD
* Valuable ports: MicroSD, Micro HDMI & Micro USB
* Well built keyboard
* USB 3.0 port on keyboard
* Up to 11 hrs battery life
* Microsoft Office 2013 Home/Student included

Cons:
* Unlike conventional laptops, the T100(S) needs to acquire some (~10%) charge before it starts and is usable
* Keyboard is not backlit
* Dock is a little flimsy, the dock release button seems to get activated when the tablet is closed over the keyboard
* The dock design adds bulk to the laptop and is un-elegant
* Tablet angle has to be considered when docked to ensure that the center of gravity does not shift behind the tablet and cause it to topple over

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Productivity Device for someone "On the Go", July 23, 2014
I was in the market for a Surface Pro 3 (over $1,000 when you add on the keyboard, software, etc...) and came across this in my research. I was weary at first... Based on the price it seemed too good to be true, but I hate dumping $1,000 + into technology that is going to obsolete in 2-3 years. At this price I consider it "disposable" and I can get a newer, faster better one for $400 three years from now and that's still only $800 for both...

I have had this product for over a month and am extremely happy with it. I bought this for work purposes, so I didn't have to lug around a laptop anymore. I have an iPad and tried to use it as a productivity device but the iPad has too many limitations for productivity purposes. My iPad ended up giving me the feeling I was carrying around a large paperweight all day that would just end up distracting me from my work. I still use and love my iPad, but I use it for what its meant to be used for... Playing games!

The ASUS is exactly as advertised: A touchscreen tablet that runs Windows mobile OS, which also doubles as a laptop that runs full Windows OS and comes with Office Home preinstalled. I highly recommend the 64GB model, the 32GB would not have been enough for me. I do all of my work on a "cloud" so I didn't need the model with the 500 GB drive built into the keyboard.

Now... I was originally a hater of Windows 8. I even went so far as to download a program to emulate the old school start button to access everything. Then I started playing with it and realized everything is there and you just have to re-learn how to find everything. Took me about 2 days of playing with it to find everything and pin them.

Before you buy, keep in mind a few things:

- This is a productivity device not a consumer device. You will be supremely disappointed if you plan on replacing your iPad with this device.

- It is a Microsoft product so IT DOES REQUIRE SOME SET UP! I am computer savvy (not an expert, just savvy), so if you are not it will probably frustrate you "out of the box."

- Office Home does NOT include Outlook. It includes full versions of word, excel, power point etc...

- It is a "cheaper build" than the Surface and does not have the same processor, but because it is so affordable I bought a skin (so it still docks to the keyboard), a screen protector and a leather case (for tablet only) all for $35 on amazon which solved the "cheaper build" issue and gave me some options for carrying it around. When I am "on the go" I prefer the leather case for the tablet only and leave the keyboard dock at home. With or without the keyboard dock it fits neatly into the drivers side door compartment in my car.

Now for some extras... I purchased a 1080p micro HDMI to HDMI cord, a micro HDMI to HDMI adaptor, a micro USB to USB adaptor, a full wireless keyboard and mouse and a mini wireless keyboard with touchpad (all for only $40 on amazon!). Only draw back was that some of the cords and adaptors came from China so it took about 3 weeks for delivery. With all this, now I can hook it up to my computer monitor and use it as a desktop or hook it up to my living room TV coupled with the wireless mini keyboard/touchpad and use it as a multi media center. Try doing that with your iPad! Even with all of the extras I spent $450 for everything vs. $1,000+ for the Surface Pro 3 (just for the tablet, docking keyboard, Office).

UPDATE: People have been asking for all the extra stuff I bought.. Here are the links:

Cases:

The Extras:

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, suprising performance, July 14, 2014
----Original Review
Wow, I am thoroughly impressed with the Transformer T100. It is tablet size, but runs like a real laptop. With the keyboard attached, it seems small, but when the keyboard is detached it seems like a good sized tablet. I also own a Nexus 7 and this thing makes the Nexus seem like toy in comparison. Performance is great. The screen is fantastic, crisp and clean. The keyboard feels tiny to my giant hands, but I'm able to type on it without too much discomfort. I watched a review which showed the Transformer unsuccessfully trying to run some games. I don't know if they were using the same version I have or an older version, but I've been able to run fallout 3 (AND NEW VEGAS!!) and bioshock at low detail with good frame rates. Frankly, I'm blown away that a $350 tablet (or netbook or however you classify it) can run Fallout 3. Windows 8 kind of stinks, but with some tweaks (adjust page file size to prevent low memory warning, add a real start menu) it is fine. Great job ASUS!

I highly highly recommend the 64GB model as 32GB just ins't enough. That barely fits the operating system. I have the 64GB model and after installing Office, updates and a few games I have no space left.

This is definitely going to be my travel laptop from now on. No more stuffing my giant laptop into my luggage. I've got a HDMI converter dongle for a few bucks, an external hard drive with 1 TB for about $50, and an external DVD drive for $20. This thing can do just about everything my $700 laptop can do, and more actually with the touch screen.

I highly recommend this device! If you don't need a gaming laptop (which is kind of a silly thing anyway) or a video editor, this device is pretty much perfect.

Update 2: It's been a little over a month and I've done quite a bit of travelling with this device. First of all, I am LOVING the battery life. I can generally work on it all day without having to plug it in. This has really given me a lot more flexibility in how/where I work. I rarely work in office and am often bouncing around to different places, so it is really nice be able to pop out my Transformer and not have to constantly worry about finding an outlet. You really can work on this thing for 8 hours at least on full charge without plugging it in. Another nice little bonus is that if you do need to plug it in, the charger is very compact and easy to carry. Coupled with a decent mobile hot spot, you can get some serious work done just about anywhere, anytime.

I continue to be mostly impressed with the power, running Excel (which I put through the ringer!) like a champ, running Portal 2 flawlessly, and even running Black and White 2 okay. I was also quite impressed by the fact that I was able to install an old USB TV tuner I had laying around, get it running, watch HD TV, and record it without any stuttering. Granted, the Hard Drive is WAY too small to do any real video capture without an external HDD, but it is still impressive. I was able to connect my TV tuner and HDD to the single USB 3.0 port using a USB 3.0 hub without any problems.

Now for the cons. I don't have many complaints about the device itself. I don't like the fact that the RAM can't be upgraded and I'm concerned about how hard it might be to replace the battery in the future. Batteries die eventually, and laptop batteries die fairly quickly. I'm a little disappointed in the 2GB RAM it comes with. The inability to upgrade the RAM or remove the battery is part bad decision on the part of ASUS, but mainly a reality of the extremely compact form factor of the device. I suppose it's a trade off between a tablet and laptop.

A few suggestions to make your Transformer experience as good as mine:

1) If you don't get the model with a hard drive built into the keyboard, get a USB 3.0 external hard drive to store videos, music, and other large files. Yes, it's a bit more expensive to get an external hard drive, but you will never have to worry about transferring files and you can still use it on your next computer. With USB 3.0, transfer speeds are almost as good as an internal hard drive, and the bus has enough juice to power the drive without a bunch of external power cables all over the place.

2) Get a 64GB microSDXC Card in addition the external hard disk. You can use this to store your documents and any programs that won't fit on the main drive, without having to lug around an external hard drive everywhere. You will very likely run out of space on the main drive after installing whatever programs you use for work. It is also easy to remove the card and plug it into another computer/printer if you ever need to. This is also very important in the event that your device has a catastrophic failure. It would difficult if not impossible to recover files from the main hard drive, who knows if there is a way to connect it to another computer without some highly specialized equipment. With the SD card, it is a simple matter of removing the SD card from the broken device and plugging it into one that isn't.

3) Get an 8GB or larger flash drive to store the recovery partition on. This has two benefits. You can copy the recovery partition to the flash drive and then remove it from the main hard drive, opening up precious space. It is also a much better place to store your recovery software. If your main hard drive fails or is corrupted to the point that windows won't boot, your recovery partition on your main hard drive becomes useless.

Update 3: One day I spilled a small amount of liquid on the screen and on the keyboard. I immediately detached the keyboard to cut off the power and prevent a short. I set the screen down and went to wipe the liquid off the keyboard before it seeped into the electronics. I then picked up the screen and began wiping it off. I notice what looks like a hair, so I try to wipe it off. Before I know it there is a giant crack running across the entire screen. I have never once dropped the screen, so I have no idea how it got there.

At any rate, with the screen cracked the touchscreen stopped working. It's strange, I'm sure everyone by now has had a touch screen device with a crack, you can still use it. Not with this one. But, fortunately you can turn off the touch part of the screen and then it just become a regular cracked screen. I was ready to live with this, but then I started thinking how now this device is just a low-end laptop and started to miss my gimicky touch screen that I barely use, but I guess I wanted it because I couldn't have it.

Here's where I give ASUS some serious props. I called tech support hoping by some miracle they would offer to fix it knowing full well the chances were next to none. I knew they were going to accuse me of dropping it and refuse to do anything. I thought maybe if whine, scream and complain enough they will give up and agree to fix it. The first tech I talked to was very nice, didn't really care if dropped it, said they would fix and gave me COMPLETELY WRONG instructions. Fortunately, I waited to send it because I needed it for work and couldn't wait 2 weeks to get it back. I called again 2 weeks after setting up my original RMA to ask if it was still good and figure out how they were going to pay for shipping. Interestingly, the second tech I talked to got very hostile and did accuse me of dropping it, but ultimately gave me the proper instructions for getting it fixed. In the case of a cracked screen, you have to sign up for accidental damage protection and they WILL fix it for free one time. However, you must sign up within the first year or so, it is only good for two years, and you have to pay for shipping. Still, they fixed it, and it only cost me about $25 for shipping (they pay return costs).

Moral of the story, although the first tech was incompetent, the second unprofessional, the policy designed to get them off the hook if you don't jump through the right hoops at the right time, I have to say that I am pretty impressed that they actually fixed it. My experience with customer service, especially big electronics manufacturers has been extremely disappointing. Google doesn't even has customer service, AT ALL! So even though it was not a pleasant or easy experience, ASUS fixed a problem they could have very easily denied was their problem and left me with a broken device. I'm pretty sure that at this point, they have made no profit off of my purchase of this device, but they still fixed it. Thank you ASUS, kind of.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated and disappointed. I would not buy this tablet again, August 23, 2014

Thanks to the detailed reviews on Amazon, I knew about the challenges of the chicklet keyboard, the fingerprint-magnet of the back of the tablet, the slowness of Internet downloads, the anemia of the camera, and the challenges associated with Microsoft's toxic, constant software updates that just about paralyzes the tablet.

I turned off automatic updates (which, annoyingly, triggered an immediate search for new updates. WTF?!? That was just disrespectful). Last night, as I settled in to read a new book downloaded from my library, I disconnected the tablet from the keyboard, heard a buzzing sound that does not exist in nature, and watched as my tablet apparently got taken over by Microsoft's compulsion to update. 5 minutes into the process of installing updates that I didn't authorize, I got disgusted and turned to my backup (old) tablet. That was when I decided that an Ipad was worth trying.

I specifically chose a Windows 8.1 platform (not RT, not Android). Unfortunately I still couldn't use some of the applications that I rely on. My encryption software doesn't work because, for some reason, the drivers won't load. I contacted the developer who suggested I turn off a setting related to signed drivers. I learned more about the guts of Windows 8 in that project than I would have wanted, and I spent another hour of my life that I won't ever get back. Oh yeah. And it didn't work.

The addition of Microsoft Home and Student was nice. Too bad that doesn't include Outlook. Also too bad that the 10" screen is not conducive to using Excel or Word for anything substantial.

It's not necessarily that the ASUS product is a bad product. It's ok. 2GB of RAM is a bit anemic. The speakers are about as good as the handheld AM radio I used in the 1970s. The size is good. The keyboard is adequate, and nothing that practice can't make better. In fact, the keyboard feels substantial, and the connection between the tablet and the keyboard is very solid. The time from power-on to using the tablet is very quick (score one for solid-state storage). The feel of the product is substantial; it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart. It sits nicely on my lap as I write. The screen is very reflective (possibly after putting on the screen protector). It is a little disconcerting to see myself as I type. Other reviewers complained about the lag when using the touchpad. I haven't found that to be a problem. I noticed it a couple of times, but it's an easy glitch to get used to. I am more bothered by how hard and/or repeatedly I have to hit the touchpad to get it to recognize a link or a checkbox.

Overall, I probably would have given the ASUS T100TA-C1-GR(S) 3 (maybe 4) stars just based on its design and function (with the exception of the cheaply-made, defective USB charging cable). However I am so frustrated by Windows, and by the difficulty in using software that worked just fine in my recently-purchased laptop that my overall experience of this product is negative. Windows 8.1 on this ASUS tablet is not exactly the same and does not work exactly the same as Windows on my Dell laptop.

Update: After having this tablet for almost 3 weeks here are some of the things I wish I had known:
The ASUS T100TA-C1-GR (S) has a 32-bit operating system. I am guessing that this is the reason why some of my software from my desktop and laptop are incompatible with this device. My other devices have 64-bit operating systems, and the software runs fine on those.

The more tablets I try, the more I appreciate the keyboard of this ASUS. There is a solid connection, and the tablet isn't going to fall over if I shift position, which is a risk with other tablets I'm looking at. I just wish the rest of it was as well-designed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dvorak layout capable (mostly), July 4, 2014
This is my first tablet.

First impression: The first one had a row of bad pixels. Amazon made the return easy.

Speed: A little bit slower than the laptop I use that is almost 2 years old. Fairly noticeable when it tries to run a big initial Windows update in the background. But still relatively snappy most of the rest of the time.

Keyboard: I like the detachable keyboard. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, and I was able to pop-off almost all the keys and rearrange them accordingly. Except the slash "/". That key is a different size, so they layout is now Dvorak, except for "Z" and "/". Hint for anyone else doing this: pop off the keys by prying from the top of each key. It is easy to accidentally bend the attachment prongs on the back of the keys if you pull them at an angle. Keys are not backlit, which is the only downside other than the "/" "Z" thing above.

Touchpad on the keyboard: I like it most of the time. It has that feature that if you press harder, its like left clicking. But the feature doesn't work well at the edges.

Cons:
No lock. I'd really like to have a kensington lock port or something like that.
Hinge limit: When docked, cannot open 180 degrees. It only opens about 120 degrees. It would be better for me if opened up just a little bit more.
No data plan option. Wifi and bluetooth are great, but this thing would be almost perfect if it had built-in 3G or 4G data options.
MS Office: Not activated out-of-the-box, so when I selected Office, it tried to get me to pay for an Office360 subscription, which was really confusing. I had to find the "activate" option, and find the key that came on a small piece of paper in the box with the T100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful with the right expectations, June 27, 2014
This charming device has won over my heart, not because of it's immense capabilities, rather because of it does a few things very well, and it can do the rest in a pinch.

It's a great Windows 8 tablet (still an emerging ecosystem) and quite usable as a laptop. It can run most any Windows program, including Office (included), Photoshop, etc... It can also run any number of less well know apps, utilities, etc... plus access USB drives, printers, network drives etc... This flexibility does appeal to my needs as a tinkerer, as even an unlocked Android tablet can't do what a PC can. Here you have a PC. That being said, realistic expectations should be set. It runs a relatively modern Atom processor and has limited RAM. Multitasking, running apps that demand a ton of memory (Lightroom and even Chrome), or advanced games may push this system too far, but for me, it's OK.

I do wish there were more "Metro" Windows 8 apps, but clever use of Google Chrome and Chrome Apps can recreate missing apps (Pocket, Pinterest, etc...). That's not Asus' problem, and it will continue to get better.

The build and battery life exceed my expectations, but fall short of amazing. Do recall that full license costs of Windows and Office used to be higher than the price of this whole device! It's a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, August 19, 2014
MW (Miramar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've seen the mixed reviews on this device, so I thought I would throw in my experience, which has been only positive. I have owned it (the 64GB version) a little over two weeks, and I got a great deal on it off of a Cyber Monday discounted price that Amazon was offering.

As others have mentioned, the first thing I did was to leave it alone for a couple of hours and let it charge. After that, I fired it up and let it do the Windows update thing, and there were quite a few that were queued up to process. I also recently updated the BIOS from version 214 to version 220 with no issues.

I bought this mainly to take with me when traveling....to watch movies on, surf the web, do email, view photos, etc. My main hesitation in buying it was the specs for the screen resolution. I was a little nervous about it not being "retina" quality, but my fears were without merit....I think the image quality is excellent. It is plenty snappy when browsing the web, powers on quickly, and the battery lasts me a good eight hours with normal use.

It's so thin even with the keyboard attached, I doubt if I will go to the tablet-only mode very often. But, it's nice to know I have that option. I also like the fact that it has USB 3.0, albeit on the keyboard and not off of the screen section, and that it has micro HDMI out so that I can connect it to a television if I want to, which will come in handy when traveling with the kids and they want to watch a movie on the hotel television.

Here are a few things I bought to go with it:

1. A longer USB charging cable - The one that comes with it is way too short, and this one is five feet long. Keep in mind that this cable is for charging ONLY, no data transfer, but that allows for a faster charging time. PortaPow Specialised 5ft 22AWG Charge Only Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices

2. A case to keep it in - This case is probably more bulky than most people would prefer, but I like having the extra protection. iGadgitz Black EVA Travel Hard Case for Various Asus 10.1" Tablets (Transformer Pad/Infinity/Book/Memo Pad & Vivo Tab)

3. A HDMI micro connector cable - This was to allow me to connect the Transformer to a television, as I mentioned above. You will, of course, still need a regular HDMI cable as well (I have many already on hand). Monoprice 6inch 34AWG High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet - HDMI Micro Connector male to HDMI Connector female - Black

4. A small sling to carry it around in - I like to keep everything together for any tablet or laptop I have, and this little sling was just the right size. Everything fits nicely, and it is very compact. The Transformer even fits when it is in the iGadgitz case I mention above in item 2. Solo Storm Collection Universal 10-Inch Tablet Sling (STM751-4)

5. A Bluetooth mouse - I use this to keep the single 3.0 USB port freed up. Actually, I had purchased this a couple of years ago, so I already had it on hand. So far it has worked great with the Transformer. Connectland CL-MOU23014 Bluetooth Wireless Optical Mouse

All in all, I am very pleased with this purchase. I had my Kindle Fire stolen (grrrr....), and I ended up getting this to replace it. No, it does not have the variety of apps that you'll find for Android devices and certainly not the choice you get with an iPad. But, for my purposes, it works great. I love having the keyboard and a full version of Windows, and having MS Office Home and Student included makes it even more appealing.

If things change, I will update this review, but for now, I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good concept. If you can afford to have your computer completely die with absolutely no warning, go ahead and bet on it., July 21, 2014
Pat LLC (Sun Country, USA) - See all my reviews
I thought I'd give ASUS a second chance when my first one didn't work. I am now returning the second one. The first one:

1. USB port wouldn't work with any of several devices, all of which work on my other machines.
2. The touch screen was hit or miss -- more often miss. Not much use when one removes the keyboard.
3. Virtual keyboard wouldn't come up when opening a text box -- necessary to do 6 "touch" actions to open it, and many of those "touches" amounted to beating on the unresponsive screen.
4. Weird problem - wouldn't recognize the optical drives an any other machines on the network, even though all the other machines did. Weirder yet, while working on something completely unrelated several hours later, it suddenly found those drives.
5. There were several other problems not listed here.

Assuming "operator error" to be the issue, I devoted many, many hours to trying to fix the machine before I gave up and returned it.

The second machine came in with none of those problems -- Yay! Except that the touch screen was somewhat erratic. I have a lot of stuff to reinstall and configure on any new computer, so I figured I'd work on it for awhile and see if the touchiness resolved itself (which it never did). One glitch: once I left it turned on and plugged in overnight, only to find the battery dead the next morning. The outlet was definitely live and the adapter and cord definitely worked correctly. I plugged the machine back in and it charged fine and worked for about a week until today.

Today, the machine had been plugged in overnight. I unplugged it and started working. Suddenly, with two programs open with two windows, the task bar disappeared. I could continue to work on those programs, but could not do anything else. I minimized the two windows and was left with a blank blue screen of death. Couldn't get the windows back open, could not do anything at all with the machine. Suddenly it just shut off. No warning.

It has now been back on the charger for about an hour. It's completely dead. The little light that indicates it is plugged in is on but the machine won't turn on.

This is a fun concept in a machine, but keep in mind, if it quits on you like this, with a solid state drive, and with no warning, you cannot recover ANYTHING. You are dead in the water. Kaput. Nothing. Nada.

UPDATE same day
While preparing the machine for return to Amazon, I disconnected the dock and turned it on. Voila! It did turn on. The battery was fully charged. And when I connected the dock, it worked too. This gave me the opportunity to remove my files and programs. In the process, I discovered that, while the touchpad on the dock works, none of the keys work. So, go to the touch screen keyboard, right? Well, it would open, but I couldn't type anything with it. I tried all over it, so I don't think it's the erratic touch screen at work. I also tried disconnecting the dock.

The only thing I couldn't accomplish was changing my homegroup password, so I changed it on all the other machines.

It is amazing to me that two different machines could have two such different sets of multiple problems. I can only guess that this model is not ready for release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Device!, June 29, 2014
Just amazing! Nothing else to say, but wow. This device perfectly merges the laptop experience into a tablet form factor. The battery life is a plus and the display is crisp and vivid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having a 500gb hard drive built in would have been awesome, however for me it's a non issue, July 28, 2014
My review is for the newest version with the faster processor, as of this writing the keyboard dock is just a keyboard, no hard drive. Having a 500gb hard drive built in would have been awesome, however for me it's a non issue, threw a 128gb micro sd card in, mixed with all the cloud storage and a 64gb flash drive on my keys, all of which is overkill for my use. I'm a power pc user who builds his own desktops for gaming/photoshop/video editing. I do not own a traditional laptop, and other then a kindle, currently dont own a tablet (have owned just about every major one previously though). I love this hybrid. It works very well for everyday tasks, and the full windows 8.1 is a huge plus. This is where windows 8/8.1 really shines, but the device itself is perfect to me. Intel did a great job in updating the processors, only 2gb of ram and this thing has yet to slow down even when Ia'm multitasking beyond what makes sense for a small screen. Its snappy, good quality, and just works. I would not believe this had a "budget" processor in I didnt know it. If you are shopping for a 2 in 1, or even a cheap reliable laptop (and you dont need a excessive amount of on board storage) this is the device to buy.

One last though, I was shocked to see a new laptop/tablet from a manufacturer with so little bloat ware. a photo editor, video editor, and their cloud storage (which comes with 1tb free) is all that's pre-loaded. Very pleased.