1,645
ASUS T100  10.1-Inch Detachable Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Price:$329.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 23, 2013
I've been thinking about buying a tablet for a while but since thanksgiving is coming up and we are traveling I knew I wanted it before christmas. So I read some reviews and talked to some people. Initially I was considering buying a MS surface. I'm a windows girl and always have been so I liked the idea of a tablet that ran Windows 8. But, they are expensive. The pro version, with windows 8 (NOT windows RT) is almost a thousand dollars and considering I have a perfectly good laptop I was not going to spend that much money on just the tablet. Because the keyboard is an additional hundred dollars.

I liked at lot of things about this Asus tablet. It ran windows 8, came with a free version of ms office home and student 2013, came with a keyboard, and was cheap. Now windows 8 takes some getting used to. The interface could be a little better in terms of switching programs (I would love to be able to lock programs so they only open in desktop mode for example), but the live tiles are something I'm familiar with already, as I have a windows phone. I do like the simplicity and visual representation of windows 8's start screen. Some people won't. The keyboard also takes some getting used to. It's small, obviously as its only a 10" tablet. This results in feeling a little cramped. It might not be for people with larger hands, in which case using the tablet's virtual keyboard might be easier as the keys are bigger. The keys do make a satisfying clicking sound, and are textured enough that it's actually easier than you might think to type. I was having some trouble with the touch pad at first, and then I realized that the tab and keyboard weren't fully connected. When you connect the two, make sure you hear TWO clicking sounds. After that everything worked as it was supposed to. Also the touchpad acts as a second tablet screen essentially. So gestures you make on the tablet will correspond to the same gestures you make on the touchpad (for example swiping the touchpad from the left to right pulls up the programs running just like swiping the screen would). Thus the space for the pointer is rather small but you get used to it (and if all else fails you can just tap the screen).

Now I bought the 32 gb version at Best Buy for $369 including tax. The only difference is storage space. However, I also bought a micro usb adapter, so I can plug my 1 tb external hd into the tablet and use that as needed (the port on the tablet is micro usb while the port on the keyboard is usb 3.0). I might eventually get a micro sd card but at this point I have more than enough space.

On my regular laptop I use photoshop. Beware that Adobe ps cs6 does not support touch screens. On any device.

This one uses the new Bay Trail processor and its fast. My laptop is an i3 and the tablet is faster right now. I'm not running as many programs, but it's still impressive. As for design, it's not as well built as the windows surfaces, using plastic instead of metal alloy (of whatever kind it is), but it's not a flimsy kind of plastic, and feels very solid in the hand. The screen does attract fingerprints like crazy, so think about getting a screen protector (I'm getting the skinomi skin for it since I have one on my phone and love it).

Overall, for what you are getting, it's a really really good deal. It would be perfect for a student, and is a good introduction into the microsoft 8 os that's not overly expensive. Considering it comes with the keyboard and MS office also, I can't say enough about how awesome it is.

If you have any questions about my experience feel free to leave a comment.

UPDATE (11/24): I was having trouble starting it after I had shut it down, and also after I restarted after downloading a program. The camera light would stay on which made me think its not shut down. Searched for the issue on google and apparently it has to do with ASUS's webstorage program wanting to be available to update even when shut down. So I deleted it and I don't have the problem anymore. I also got rid of some of the other asus programs since I don't need them anyway. In addition I updated the bios to 216 (which asus took down from their site for some reason but is still available in other places).

Also if you don't like the Asus reading mode download a program called f.lux. Its amazing, I have it on all my computers.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
Edit added 2/27/2014 - After using this 2 in 1 for about 3 months, I have a high level of frustration with the touch pad. It is VERY difficult to use left and right click without moving the mouse at the same time. I have written to ASUS about the touch pad and the reply was - that is the design. The touch pad design makes this machine far more difficult to use in keyboard mode than any other of the many laptops I have experienced. If ASUS would fix the dumb design of the touch pad, this 2 in 1 would indeed be a great machine. I reduced my rating from 4 to 3 stars. It would be 5 stars with a good touch pad.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great 10" machine, fantastic at the Amazon price - mine was $349. I don't understand why some of the reviewers have negative comments about Window' s 8/8.1 - this reviews the PC not Windows. I have been using this PC for a few days. It has completely replaced a 10" NoteBook, an iPad 1 and a Kindle Keyboard. This PC does all those functions really well.

I won't repeat the comments many others have made. I am really happy with this purchase. Two features need improvement. The right shift key is difficult for me - I am a hunt and peck typist, and I frequently mistakenly hit the Enter key. The touch pad is hard to use for me. The mouse moves when the click area is touched. It is really hard to position the mouse on a small target and keep it there while I click. Using a Logitech mouse works very well. I disabled most of the Asus Smart Gesture options. The touch screen works very well, much better than the iPad 1 I was using. I prefer a stylus over my fingers. Having almost every action available as a touch or as a click is really flexible.

Bottom line - a wonderful, small, portable, multi-purpose device. And the fact that it runs Windows 8.1, making it totally compatible with my desktop is just plain terrific.
After struggling with an iPad and a Windows desktop for almost 2 years, this PC allows me to forget the frustrations of trying to use an Apple tablet with a Windows PC. I made an excellent decision to buy this PC, and I'm planning to get a second one for my wife. Buy it, you will like it.
on November 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
I preordered the Asus Transformer T100TA just an hour after it went up here on Amazon. I've been following this specific tablet since it was announced and was excited to try it out. This is the first tablet I've owned but I'll try and give a comprehensive review based on my experiences with it.

First off, I'll go over the problems I've had with it. If I had reviewed this tablet a couple days ago I probably would have given it 2 or 3 stars due to two problems that were occurring. The first has to do with the volume rocker. When I pressed down on the volume rocker, it would act as though I were holding it down and reduce the volume down to 0 unless I pressed up on the rocker. It was a strange issue and I figured I had received a defective unit. I opened up a case with Asus, just in case there was a simple fix, and low and behold, I was informed to download the latest audio drivers from Asus, and this completely fixed the problem. The second issue is with sleep mode. It seems like when the dock is attached and I close the unit like a netbook, it doesn't go into sleep mode and I'll come back half a day later and a huge chunk of the battery life will be gone. I haven't bothered looking for any windows settings to change this, one might exist. Now I just use the keyboard hotkey (fn+f2) to put it to sleep before closing it and this seems to work fine.

Build quality of the unit is what you'd expect for the price. I'm not crazy about the glossy plastic back, but at least the pattern is good looking. The buttons on the tablet portion have a good click to them and I haven't seen any issues with them other than the software issue I described above. I feel like the dock has a higher build quality as far as materials go than the tablet itself. Its plastic, but a mat plastic rather than glossy with a brushed metal texture on the inside that I really appreciate. The connection from the dock to the tablet is solid, the only beef I have with it is it's a little wobbly (I can rock it forward and back a little bit without actually rotating the pivot point of the connection). The biggest disappointment like many have said is the track pad. Basically it sucks and I only use it when necessary. That being said, I hate track pads anyways so even if it was fantastic I probably would be using it anyways.

The keyboard on the doc is pretty small, and honestly feels a little awkward. That being said, if I ignore the awkwardness I end up typing just as fast/efficiently as with a full sized keyboard (I type around 80 wpm on the tablet and my desktop keyboard, which I feel is a pretty average speed). The keys on the keyboard themselves feel really nice, and overall I love the dock keyboard.

The camera/mic are a standard affair imo. They remind me of the average laptop front facing webcam/speaker. Not very high quality image/audio, but good enough to video chat. Just make sure to wear headphones if your chatting if you don't want to get hardcore echoing on the mic.

I was really impressed by the speakers on this thing. I've never put them above 40% as that seems to be good enough to fill up the surrounding area even when I'm sharing audio with someone else. Definitely better than any laptop speakers I've had the pleasure of using.

As far as computing power goes, you probably won't be playing any newer 3d games on this thing. I do a little bit of game development as a hobby in my spare time and even some of the simple games I make run pretty slow on this guy. That said, 2d games seem to run smoothly on it and I was even able to get Portal 1 to work at a playable frame rate. I'm mostly using this guy for some media consumption and some light programming on the go though, so it's perfect for my uses. All the Apps on it run really smoothly and the only hangups I've had are with the metro internet explorer app freezing, which I'm hoping is software issue rather than a hardware one and will be fixed (it feels weird using IE after so many years, but honestly IE 9 is pretty slick in metro and even has a little bit of WebGL support, so they seem to be trying to catch up).

Overall I'm very satisfied with this product, and if you want a budget windows 8 tablet, I would recommend this guy 100%.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
This convertible laptop is exactly what the description says. It does take a little getting use to with the new windows on it but I'm starting to really like it. I love that it came with a keyboard and Microsoft office, two big items on my list of must haves. Out of the box it looked impressive. I was a little disappointed there wasn't an instruction manual or even a quick start guide but there is one under apps and online it just took me a while to find it.
The screen detaches from the keypad really easily but is really sturdy when it is attached. The keypad is small and takes some getting use to for typing a lot but again, I'm getting use to it.
My only complaint is the camera. It takes pretty horrible pictures and there isn't a back lens so if you are trying to take a picture you have to hold it at a weird angle. I didn't get this for a camera though so I didn't knock off any stars for that. The screen quality is great! Images and pictures online are really clear and vibrant.
Oh and the battery really does last all day. It takes a while to charge so we just leave it charging overnight. By morning we are at 100%, use it constantly between the four of us and it makes it until evening before needing charged again.
on February 14, 2014
Verified Purchase
I LOVE this product but it has some VERY significant and KNOWN bugs with the unit that make it useless as a business tool. There is a serious defect with the power charging/battery circuit that absolutely BRICKS the computer and there is no way to fix it. It appears to be fairly random and it randomly "heals" itself as well. ASUS techs that I spoke with recognized that it is a known problem but was not able to confirm that they have identified a fix for the problem. Having worked as a failure analysis electrical engineer in the defense industry, I was very disappointed to hear from the tech that there was no identified corrective action for this problem yet. Unfortunately, I didn't read reviews on this product before buying but after reading the plethora of bad reviews, it is clear that this is a widespread problem. I am now sending the unit back to ASUS and hoping that they have identified a reliable corrective action before they send it back to me. I would NOT recommend this product to others at this time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
I've been wanting a Windows 8 tablet to free me up from my desktop computer, and after reading reviews (and having an Asus Transformer TF-201 that I like a lot) decided to go with this. I didn't care one way or the other about the keyboard, and have only used it enough to say that it's working fine. So far, the only problems I've had with the tablet were caused by user error; even with years of Windows experience, I found there to be a fairly steep learning curve. (Where's this? Where's that? Why are there three different versions of it in three different places?) Fortunately, I was able to find answers for my questions on line.

One warning: do not calibrate your tablet, you'll lose your charms bar.

For me, this was a super wise investment, learning curve and all.
on November 1, 2013
As close to what I want in a tablet/laptop as I can currently see on the market.

The only two things that would make this tablet/laptop better is ~11in screen size and greater than 1080p screen resolution. Still enjoying it immensely, though!

I've connected a mouse via the wireless bluetooth connection, so this circumvents the rather poor trackpad, IMO. A good workaround I would recommend for those looking to use desktop/mouse-based functionality.

My intention is to test how using an external hard drive for gaming works out. Utilizing the USB 3.0 port should allow this, so games that aren't too recent (mostly Steam games from before 2009) are what I'll fiddle around with. If this solution works, it'll eliminate the need for additional storage in the machine itself; this will leave my 32GB version with plenty of room for essentially only tablet specific apps.

Getting back to the tablet itself: this largely addresses the small gripes I had with the Vivotab Smart. The sound is much improved from the one mono speaker to the dual stereo speakers. The inclusion of the Bay Trail Z3740 Atom in this T100 stomps the floor with the Clover Trail Z2760 Atom in the Vivotab Smart. Display is largely the same. The only thing that lacks by comparison is the case (which isn't a big deal for me); T100 is glossy compared to the quality feel of the Vivotab Smart. Overall, a great improvement!

So, depending on how the workarounds for the internal storage work out, this may be my tablet/laptop of choice for the next year to several years. (-:

Update1: Using a WD My Passport Ultra 500GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, I tried Counter-Strike (original) and Torchlight 2; both worked successfully. Will try Diablo III soon after it downloads.

Update2: Success, albeit with reduced visuals. Game is definitely in a playable state. :) I was also able to get Portal 2 to play well on the external HD; awesomeness. An excellent solution for PC gaming on the go as well as having a simple tablet when you need it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Update3: Encountered what I believe to be a Bluetooth battery drain bug. I was able to reproduce it reliably a few times now, so I think I can positively say how to get around it.

That is to say, if you want to reproduce it, you'll need a Bluetooth device (I got my Bluetooth mouse). Make sure it's connected to the tablet. Then, simply put the tablet into sleep mode (close the lid or tap the power button). After that you can wait for the Bluetooth device to time off or turn it off yourself.

Instead of sipping power at less than 1% per hour like normal, it's more like 10-20% per hour in this state. I imagine this is caused by how Windows 8 engages sleep mode with peripherals attached. An easy workaround is for you to turn off your Bluetooth device before you place the tablet into sleep mode.

Rather annoying to deal with but doesn't affect my opinion of this device; still a fantastic product!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2013
Verified Purchase
I would like to preface this review by stating I have never actually been able to use this product. I have now order two of the Asus Transformer books with windows 8.1. Both of them have been defective and unable to turn on. I purchased this product because of the high reviews. I am sure most of those who received this product and were actually able to turn it on are pleased.

I was very excited when I received my first unit. I carefully removed it from it's packaging and followed the very simple instructions on how to start the Transformer book up for the first time. The instructions recommend waiting at least 8 hours before using in battery mode. This was okay as I had it plugged in and wasn't going out any time soon, I just wanted to get the initial setup complete. However, the only reaction from the device was an orange blinking light. There was no response from the power button. Turns out after calling Asus, the orange blinking light is a battery malfunction indicator and the product would have to be sent in for repairs. I promptly returned it to amazon and had a replacement shipped.

Within two days the new Asus Transformer Book had arrived. Once again I could hardly contain my excitement. The device looks and feels great, and I couldn't wait to use it!! Once again I followed the instructions which are very simple. (plug device into keyboard, plug power cord into adapter, plug power cord into tablet, plug into power outlet, turn on) This time the light remained solid orange!!! The device was successfully charging and in no time I would begin the initial setup. I let it charge for a few minutes before attempting to turn it on. As I pressed the power button I heard a small click. The next thing I know the power button is recessed into the tablet, and doesn't pop back out and the orange charging light turns off. The power button was stuck, and the Asus transformer book, much like the first unit I received, is now an expensive paper weight.

I was devastated. I called Asus, and was told the only thing they could do is have me send it to them for repairs, but I should expect to wait for 3 weeks or so. I am beginning to grow impatient and do not want to wait that long. I once again file with Amazon for replacement, only this time Amazon is out of stock.

I still want the device!!! I really do, the third time is supposed to be the charm. I even purchased a nice case for it. However, I want it for the original price I paid for it at $350.00 for the 64 GB unit. Now it is upwards of $400, and not shipped through Amazon. I will try to contact Amazon to check if there is anything they can do.

Overall I am extremely disappointed with my experience so far, but am willing to give it one more shot. At $350, if this device can actually do what it says, then the Asus Transformer Book is an amazing deal. However, I'm beginning to think that this is possibly a deal that is too good to be true...
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
Like so many of the other 1-star reviewers, I thought that the complaints were overblown. Computershopper.com had given this ASUS Transformer Book T100 a stellar rating, and it seemed to have everything I could want - preinstalled Office, convertibility to a tablet, minimal bloatware, attractive price... surely those people complaining about it just got the few lemons, or were the type to whine about anything.

After 4 days with this computer, I am sending it back to Amazon and taking the hit of shipping cost. By the second day of trying to get this machine to work, I sounded like an abused spouse justifying its poor behavior - "I can fix it if I try harder", "once it's installed everything it won't break down again", "I shouldn't have pushed it so hard by installing that program", "hardly any computers nowadays work well right out of the box", "when it does work it's a lot of fun", etc. I've finally come to my senses and stopped with the excuses.

Now, some of the things it failed to do correctly:
1) start up (at least 3 times, it tried to install "updates" - for what, I don't know - shouldn't it have gotten everything on the first round of updates? Again, it had been 4 days of use! - and it knocked itself out. At those points, it took up to 20 attempts of restarting to get it going, and all the while it was offering to fix the problem through deleting all added files & programs. I can't imagine having to upload my documents over and over on a daily or weekly basis.)
2) shut down (sometimes it ignored all attempts to turn it off, including the brute-force hitting of the power button.)
3) read externally-linked devices (it completely failed to recognize my Kindle when I hooked them together by USB. I went out and bought a new cord from the Microsoft store - "maybe it just needs a USB 3 adaptor instead of my old USB 2" - and that got me to the point where it would recognize the Kindle for ~2 minutes, then conk out.)
4) recognize touch-screen commands (sometimes it liked the hand, and sometimes it liked the stylus, but sometimes it didn't like anything.)
5) recognize keyboard commands (again, sometimes the mouse and pointer keys were acceptable, and other times they were not.)

This is the first truly negative review I have written for Amazon, as far as I recall, and it has nothing to do with Amazon's end of the deal. This particular computer is simply not functional. I desperately needed a new laptop, as I am going on a business trip in less than 2 weeks, and my current computer is old and cannot handle wireless anymore. Now, because of the time crunch, I have ordered a Dell to be express-shipped from Best Buy, so that I can have it for a day or two before the trip and get everything onto it.

I made the mistake of pooh-poohing the negative reviews, because the price was so attractive and because I gave too much weight to the positive reviews. Now I have to look at it this way: if I can't turn on the computer, what good is the free Office suite that it came with, which I can't access? How it is saving money to get something that doesn't do the job?
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2014
FINAL UPDATE TO THIS REVIEW, 12/11/14:

Quick Summary: Don't buy Asus. If I could, I'd give this product, and Asus as a company, Zero Stars.

While the Transformer Book could be a really awesome product (I did like it when it worked), it suffers from a battery failure issue where it will not charge, or takes days to charge, or won't turn on after a charge, or all of the above. I know all tech is at risk for problems, and I understand a faulty unit will turn up now and then. So, I sent it in for repair. It came back with the same problem (a little worse, actually). I wrote back to tech support, who said I could send it in again. (Because, you know, they did such a great job the first time.) After posting this review, I was contacted by a customer loyalty rep, and spent about 2 weeks, give or take, trying to get Asus to stand by their product and give me either a replacement or a refund. They refused. Ultimately, Amazon.com stepped up and handled the matter to my satisfaction. It took Amazon all of about 5 minutes to solve a problem Asus hadn't solved in well over a month--whatever you buy, buy it from Amazon! They're awesome!

I'm writing this update from my 8 year old Dell, the one my Transformer Book was meant to replace. It's had issues. It's been repaired by Dell twice (years apart). They aren't by far my favorite company in the world, but they're better than Asus, and my Dell products at least work--which is more than I can say about Asus on either score. We also own some Acer and Lenovo products, which (so far) haven't had any significant issues. I haven't dealt with Acer or Lenovo for tech support yet, so I can't speak to the quality of their customer care.

What I can tell you is that my experience with Asus has been horrible. Please be sure to read the other reviews, particularly the single star reviews, so you can see for yourself that this is not an isolated incident. I heartily suggest you try another company, and that you buy through Amazon, who has the most amazing customer support I've ever seen.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Word of advice: Don't buy the ASUS Transformer Book.

When it works, it's really awesome. The touch screen is nice, the color is good, it detaches and reattaches easily, and for a while I loved it.

Then it started taking a ridiculously long time to charge (sometimes a full 24 hours), and when I tried booting after charging it, it gave me a black screen. I did some digging online and found that a BIOS update often solved these issues, so I tried to flash the BIOS, but I got an error message saying that the current BIOS could not recognize the new BIOS ROM type. I contacted tech support. After going back and forth with them a few times, they decided it was probably a bad BIOS chip, and said to send it in. So I did.

They were reasonably prompt in their repair, replacing the battery and reinstalling Windows (yay, thanks). If they replaced the BIOS chip, they didn't note that on their return slip, but I figured they'd diagnosed it and fixed it, so I plugged it in and let it charge. After letting it take a full day to charge the new battery (should that have been my first clue?), I started setting the system up all over again. When I ran out of battery power yesterday afternoon, I plugged it in. It's still charging. Wondering how far it had left to go, I pushed the power button, and promptly got a black screen, which is why I'd sent it in to begin with. After trying twice to get it to boot, it said it's only up to 20% battery power. 20% after nearly a 24 hour charge, with a brand new battery!

I've contacted technical support again (11/22/14), but am still waiting for a reply. I think it's time to request a refund. :(

UPDATE 11/30/14: After a 48 hour charge while turned off, the battery level actually DROPPED to 10%. Tech support just got back to me, and said I should send it back in. They won't offer a refund, but say they'll repair it as long as it's in warranty. Big deal, since the last repair left me with the same exact problem. I've requested that they escalate the issue and replace the unit, which I have to assume is defective if they can't manage to fix the thing with a brand new battery and a newly installed OS. Seriously, stay away from ASUS. I've downgraded this review from 2 stars to 1 star. I might feel differently if they could actually give me a product that works. Right now, I basically own a pretty, $350 brick. Thanks, ASUS.

UPDATE 12/3/14: On 12/1, a comment was left on this review by an Asus Customer Loyalty rep asking that I email him so he could help me with this issue, which I promptly did. Two days later, I'm still waiting to hear back. In the meantime, having previously asked to have this matter elevated within tech support, today I did get an email from another Tech Support Team Member (doesn't sound too elevated to me), who sent another RMA form and said I could send it in for repair again, and if they couldn't repair it, they'd send me a "recertified" unit--in other words, if my faulty Transformer Book can't be fixed, they'll send me someone else's faulty Transformer Book. I've told them I will wait to send it in again until I've heard back from Customer Loyalty. I will update this review further as the situation progresses.

UPDATE 12/6/14: After leaving a comment here on the 3rd requesting a follow up, I did hear back promptly from the Asus Customer Loyalty rep, who asked me to send the original RMA so he could look into it. He's been looking into it for 3 days now, apparently, and I've not heard back yet. He tried to assure me that mine must be an isolated incident, but since I'd already researched the problem online prior to contacting tech support in the first place, I know that's not the case. At this moment, I'm updating this review on my 8 year old Dell XPS M1710, which, while it's had its issues over the years, still runs. Sadly, it runs a lot better than the new Asus at this point. The longer this issue drags on, the more I think I should have reinvested in a Dell product. I can think of a lot of reasons not to choose Dell, but in the long run, despite their many issues, I still have working Dell products. Dell even honored its extended warranty with a full refund when they couldn't repair a nearly 4 year old machine I owned because they'd stopped making that particular motherboard. A full refund! My thanks to them was to use that refund to buy a brand new, top of the line Dell desktop. It's a shame I can't say the same for Asus at this point. Asus tech support failed to repair the unit when it was sent back to them, said they won't do a refund, and before sending it back yet again, I'm now giving Customer Loyalty a chance to intervene and make things right. Meanwhile, time ticks, the days and weeks go by while the warranty runs down, and the new, "repaired" Transformer Book sits in a box on my table, because it's unusable. But hey, at least my 8 year old Dell laptop works.

UPDATE 12/10/14: It's been a week since I last heard from Customer Loyalty. The Transformer Book is still sitting in a box on my table. I'll keep you posted on any further progress, or lack of progress. Right now, I'm beginning to wish I could rate this at zero stars.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations