1,229 Reviews

1,000 of 1,036 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Forget The Big Red Fruit
This is an awesome tablet. Extremely powerful and versatile. Some purists will say the display isn't up to par, but that's ridiculous. This is a stunning display even if it falls short of the highest pixel count available. The performance is better than the iPad 3, it's a beautiful device and it offers the unique ability to pop into a keyboard base and "transform" into a...
Published on April 25, 2012 by J. R. O. Neal

1.0 out of 5 stars Until Asus works out several bugs, there are better tablet choices
Below is a review of several tablets I tried in MY chronological sequence with them, with explanations of why I rejected all but the Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 tablet. I am placing the same review under each model I tried.

Background - I am now 65 - NOT a member of the electronic generation! I love playing Scrabble and thought intensive games in general. I know very...
Published on November 30, 2012 by Arthur K. Yellin

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tablet, plagued by quality control issues, May 29, 2012
Dave Kline (PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Transformer TF300 T-B1-BL 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet (Blue) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
I really liked this tablet. It was fast, the price was right, the keyboard dock was interesting, but I returned all three. Tablet one had a stuck-on pixel close to the center of the screen. Tablet two appeared to have a foreign object stuck under the glass of the screen. Tablet three had a dead pixel near the center of the screen. Not good when one of the touted features is the display. I've always gathered that Asus was among the leaders in the Android tablet game, so I'm rather disappointed. I suppose I can try the Transformer Infinity when it comes out or the Google tablet that is rumored to be made by Asus and hope this is a problem with this particular model. Unfortunately, there isn't much comparable by other manufacturers and Asus is one of the only manufacturers making high performance Android tablets...I guess we'll see what happens.

Come on, Asus, you can do better. A $390 product should be right.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS Transformer TF300, April 26, 2012
I just got my tablet today and I must say I'm really pleased. We also have the Prime in our household so I was able to compare both side by side.

I ran several speed tests from different locations inside and outside(30-45ft) our house. The Tf300 was superior in all aspects when it came to wifi strength, especially at further distances. Needless to say the GPS was better as well.

You can definitely notice a difference in the screen resolution, the TF300 is not as sharp on the colors. Even though it doesn't have the super ips mode its still really bright(I would say as bright as the prime) if you turn the brightness all the way up.

I haven't done any updates yet but it hasn't had any hiccups and no signs of color bleed like some other users are complaining about.

Picture quality seems about the same(even the I miss the flash)

I was originally skeptical about the plastic finish but I was surprised by its clean finish and look.

Even though I don't use the speakers much I noticed its stronger than the prime's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoothest Tablet Ive ever used. Love it., May 18, 2012
Ive been through quite a few tablets so I'm pretty familiar with whats out there, and what to expect. And I am very happy with my transformer. I also have a Galaxy Tab 7.7 which (IMO) is the best 7" tablet out there. So I decided I wanted to get a 10" tab as well. After several returns of the new Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 I got the TF300 and love it. Ive only had it about a week and already there has been 2 updates to the firmware. This is a nice change from other companies delaying updates. I also have an Asus laptop that I am writing this review on and I love it also. So when and if Asus/ Google releases the memo/ nexus tablet Ill probably buy it as well.

The TF300 is so smooth. In home screen transitions, opening and closing apps, there's very little if any lag at all. Its running ICS 4.0.3, and I now really want my Galaxy Tab to finally get the ICS update. I didn't think it was a big deal until I actually got some time to spend with ICS. A new update rolled out today 5-18-2012 that enabled the facial recognition unlock. I set it up and was surprised out how well it works. I probably wont use it very long, but its a cool addition nonetheless.

If your looking into the 10" tablet market this is the one to get. The quad core Tegra 3 is amazing. There's not a whole lot of cases, accessories, etc. out there yet, but they're coming. I have a Poetic Case coming soon for it. Poetic HardBack Protective Case for Asus Transformer TF300 Black With HandStrap with Built-in Folding Cover - Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)(Has Open Slot for Charger Port) (Intergrated HandStrap), and I ordered a cheap screen protector for it while I decide which type I want to use in the long run. I have a XtremeGuard on my 7.7, and it works great, but I don't know if I'm going to like that rubbery feel on a 10" screen. So Ill probably wait until some higher quality dry install types become available. But in the mean time Ill use this one here. KaysCase Screen Protector Film for ASUS Transformer Pad TF300, Clear (Invisible)

I highly recommend this tablet. You really cant go wrong, especially under $400.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Tablet!, May 12, 2012
ChaoticEdge (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Honestly I am a little surprised at the negative reviews. This tablet is amazing. Yes the back is plastic but honestly it is a pretty sturdy plastic. The people that are complaining about it being flimsy and being able to see the pressure on the screen when you press on the back are completely insane. Can you see the stress on the screen when you press on the back...yes but you have to really bend and push pretty damn hard on the tablet(I mean you purposely have to try to snap the tablet in half). Does this happen on 90% of laptops when you press on the monitor...yes, are most laptops made from plastic...yes, but I honestly don't see a people taking issue with that, why should they being taking issue with that on what is essentially a laptop. The screen is bright and vibrant, it is a bit of a fingerprint magnet though. The Wi-fi works great and the tablet is speedy on its transitions and app launches. For $400 you can't beat this tablet. Keep in mind a similar iPad costs $600 for a 32G model for the newest version and is lacking the micro SD slot that allows you to pump this up to 64GB. This tablet has a faster processor, better camera, and more RAM. Does an iPad run a little smoother yes but keep in mind that Apple is extremely strict about the apps and software that they allow on their tablet and they make sure it is all optimized. If it doesn't run well on their tablet, guess what they don't publish it. In comparison Google does not monitor every app to make sure it optimizes their software and tablets. Personally I prefer being able to choose what I want rather than Apple telling me what I can and can't have. If you are looking for a fast tablet that is great on battery life, has minimal bloatware, and you don't feel the need to grip your tablet as hard as you possibly can then this tablet is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The almost perfect 10" Android ICS Tablet, May 5, 2012
Philip (EAST HADDAM, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
The almost perfect 10" Android ICS Tablet.

I received the Blue, 32GB, TF300 - April 25, 2012.

I have spent the last 10 days looking for flaws. They are hard to find, especially at this price.

Performance:
It's a great ICS performer. Quick browsing. App switching is quick. In summary: no performance issues. Paid US$400 for a well performing tablet. Suspect software updates from ASUS will only improve performance.

HW Features:
When hinged with the dock, the audio cable is plugged into the top of the tablet. This is not ideal considering the tablet is top heavy and prone to upset. The audio cable does not help. Would like to have an 3.5mm audio output at the bottom of the tablet or on the optional dock. This is really a dock complaint. But at $380-$400, who can complain?

MicroSD is great for loading Gigabytes of Movies and Music.
Get the Dock for the full-size USB connector..great for USB memory sticks.

I don't like the charging connector. ASUS should have used USB, at both ends, for charging.

Software:
Firmware update was happening just minutes after connecting to my WIFI. Bundled ASUS software is nice, not annoying like many packaged applications. ASUS cloud app, file manager and dock/tab battery widget are great. Stock launcher is okay, I recommend APEX or NOVA. The TF300 is stable. No random restarts. Some applications temporarily freeze with "[app name] is not responding" "Would you like to close it [wait or ok]?" I click wait and everything returns to normal. The application resumes. This is once a day with different applications. I will not remove a star for this. This is android, not IOS.

Build Quality:
The plastic back is solid and not slippery. The TF300 is a solidly-built device. Glass and metal are not the answer to build quality. It feels great. Dock will protect the screen when not in use. You don't need gorilla glass.

WIFI and GPS:
Excellent reception. No problems to report. WIFI signal strength is the best i have seen in a device.

Display:
This display is bright enough. I don't understand why you would want a brighter display.

Audio:
What you would expect from a tablet's tight packaging. I use headphones or my Tivoli. If there is nothing behind the tablet to reflect the rear-facing speaker sound, you lose a lot of volume. No stereo effect...

On-Screen Keyboard:
ASUS kybd...It works fine. I use swiftkey.

The Keyboard Dock:
Get it. Key layout is amazing. The top row is a set of very useful function keys like turn-off-touchpad, brightness, volume, etc. It includes FULL Size USB, SDcard. Battery is nice to have. Top heavy....not bothered by this.

Battery:
With the dock battery and tablet battery...tablet in green mode with brightness turned down...browsing/reading 15 hours easy. With the dock, this TRANSFORMER is heavier than I expected. 15 Hours of Battery=Heavy. I am okay with this trade-off.

Price:
Considering Performance and Features. $380-$400 can't be beat.
At this price, it's a 5-Star device with the minor flaws.

PROS:
Price
Performance
Flexibility
Stability (no random restarts)
Build Quality
MicroSD, MicroHDMI, USB(w/dock), SDcard(w/dock)
ICS (shipped with) and close to Vanilla ICS
Flash Video support
ASUS Cloud Storage
ASUS applications
(Optional) KYBD Dock: Excellent Design and Quality

CONS:
non-USB charging connector (at the tablet end of the cable)
too high placement of 3.5mm audio output (when used with dock)
audio: mono rear-facing speaker
no camera flash

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, April 29, 2012
Z. Wagner (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This is only an initial report, as I've only had the TF300 for about 4 days. At first I was concerned, as when I took it out and started it up for the first time, it hung at the language choice screen. Bummer. But being someone who uses computers often and is aware of their quirks and issues, I simply turned it off, and then back on again. The second time's the charm! Booted perfectly, did a firmware update, and I was off. Entered my email address and it downloaded all the apps I have on my phone automatically. A little weird and creepy, and I certainly didn't want ALL those apps on my tab, but okay.
Then I started using it, and can now safely say that I'm falling in love with the little guy. It's very smooth and quite fast in general. Never having used the Prime, I don't really know what I'm missing; and though I'm sure it's faster and has a brighter display, etc... this one's cheaper!
It doesn't have a metal housing, but truth be told I think the plastic looks quite nice. It feels good, is easy to hold, and the screen is very nice, if not as bright as the Prime. I can't imagine any issue with the brightness unless I was outside in direct sunlight. Not a concern, at least for me.

I dinged the TF300 a star because of the start up issues, and occasionally an app stops responding properly. Whether this is a fault of the machine or the apps themselves, I cannot say. It hasn't bothered me much, as I simply restart apps when they hang and they work just fine. Only a few apps I've found exhibit the behavior, like the Netflix app for instance.

Other than these minor glitches, the tab is great. The wifi works very well, a little better than my laptop (my laptop is a few years old) in fact. Web browsing is quite fast (I use Dolphin browser), and once I updated Adobe Flash, flash within web pages works great. I've only watched a couple of HD videos, but everything's pretty smooth. Sound isn't the best (only one speaker), but it does get surprisingly loud for a little thing.

Overall, so far I like the TF300 a LOT. It does exactly what I want it to do, and quickly, with only a couple of very minor issues so far. I have ordered the TF300 dock, and will add to the review once I've used them together.

***Update***
So I've been using the TF300 with the dock for a couple of weeks now. The tablet itself has continued to function as was stated previously, meaning it is for the most part a great joy to use. There is still sometimes lag with browsing and certain apps stop responding very occasionally, but as I've previously stated, this is not so different from any Android phone I've ever used, so it's not all that surprising. Android (especially for tablets) is still really in its infancy and thus I expect a certain level of random behavior, which often is related more to the apps themselves than even the OS, which on its own functions pretty well.

As to the dock, it's quite simply wonderful. It adds so much to the functionality and ease of use of the device that it simply cannot be overstated. Even just the additional battery life is a thing of beauty alone, as I now always run the device in performance mode (which helps to cut down on lagginess), and still get good battery life. I own a 12" laptop, and this thing is a dwarf in comparison. It folds up perfectly, fits in a very small space, and is extremely easy to tote around. The keyboard is very responsive, the mouse trackpad works great (though sometimes it takes it a moment to pop up when it comes back from sleep), there are lots of helpful hotkeys, etc, etc. It's awesome.

A couple of things to be aware of though:
People with large hands beware. Though you should be aware of this before you buy such a device, take care to remember that this is not a full-sized keyboard and people with large hands may have trouble using it. That said, I wear size large gloves, and while it did take a small period of adjustment, I'm now almost as quick typing on it as I am on my laptop. One of the tiny shift keys does give me some grief from time to time, but it's really to be expected.
Also it's convenient the trackpad has an on/off button, because when you're typing, you will inevitably run your palm across the pad and create all kinds of annoying issues at random times. This to me was not really a surprise, since I knew how small the keyboard would be, but it's something to be realized before purchasing. But just turn it off when you're in full on typing mode and you'll be fine.

So, a few weeks out with my TF300, now with the dock, and I'm loving it. It's one of the most handy devices for media consumption I've ever used. The wifi is very strong, and the thing is really a joy to use in general. I do wish there were a more full-featured office program, as even the one I paid for-- Office Suite Pro-- still leaves a lot to be desired. It's not much better than Polaris, which comes with the TF300. *sigh* So I'll simply wait for updates. Certainly not a fault of the tablet itself.

Overall really a wonderful buy and a great product, especially with the dock. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Android tablet, but quality issues, June 21, 2012
I got it from a shop, Worked well, but noticed a dead pixel on the first one. Returned, got a new one, since I was impressed with the tablet at its price point. However, the second one still had a dead pixel. I am sure I wouldn't notice it if I didn't look extremely carefully, and it wasn't much of a problem to me but the hdmi port was misaligned from its socket! Plugging in a micro hdmi cord was a little difficult due to this, and I am sure the port would break off if i did it often. So returned my second tablet too. Clearly there are quality issues with it! I might get one more from another shop as I am impressed with it, but less hopeful of a glitch-free experience. Hopefully I wont have to return the next one!

------Update 6/23/2012-------

This time I got it from another shop. The build quality was much better, everything aligned and in place. So I quickly bought an expensive screen protector since I was sure I would keep it. But as soon as I restored my account and opened gmail (white background) I noticed a gradient in the "yellowness" or warmth of the screen from top to bottom! I would have been fine if the color was washed out like the bottom or bright white like the top, but the gradient just annoyed me. So that one goes back too! And I don't think I would get another one from Asus. Enough for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tablet and a very nice price too, May 18, 2012
I have been researching tablets for awhile. I have looked at the Transformer Prime/Transformer (and the Infinty 700), Acer Iconia 510, Toshiba AT305 and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Each and every tablet has its pros and cons. I have found that the Asus 300 was the one for me. I was impressed with the colors on this device as my initial thoughts they were washed out but when you look at it in a store will bright lights that can happen. Movies played crystal clear and without issues. Music also played well I did download Riptide GP as I wanted to see how the Tegra 3 graphics and I was impressed. Asus could have done a better job with speakers but they sounds fine. I will end up using my headphones anyway if I am listening to music or videos. The camera took nice pictures but I didn't get the tablet for that reason. I have seen people complaining about no led flash, come on we have our wonderful smart phones or digital cameras for that. Can you imagine people taking there tablets to Disney and taking pics with that? I did however have a brief display issue where I did see bars on the lower left side but that only happened once. I have seen reviews complaining about this on another forum but it appears to be a software issue which I know Asus will fix or else Amazon will get alot of returns. If this should happen again and not get fixed before my 30 day return window I will return it.

Pros
No light bleeding as I have seen in the Toshiba AT305
My external drive connected flawlessly and able to read all files. Copied a 5 gig files in several minutes.
Wireless works very well.
Plays MP4 files great
Thanks to the docking station you don't have to hold the tablet for a long time as I have heard with some people it can get tiresome. Also works great to protect the unit.
Browsing worked well but I have seen it "hang up" Not an issue for me.

Cons
Speaker placement could have been better but not a show stopper.
Browser pauses sometimes but I believe this to be an android issue.

Overall I love the unit. for the fact that you have a docking keyboard with battery as this is one of the main selling points for me. I will update further if I have any issues.

Why I didn't chose other tablets:

From a Toshiba review on Amazon
"Toshiba tech support from my limited experience with them is awful. I called about transferring files via the supplied cable and they were no help.

I also had an issue using the USB host functionality trying to use an external hard drive and found via their tech support it will only support drives formatted to exFAT, FAT or FAT32. DOES NOT support drives formatted to NTFS."
I find that very interesting considering all my drives are NTFS and I don't have a spare to format to exFAT
I also eliminated the Toshiba due to high cost of 529.00 for a 32gb tablet. In fact I ordered this first but in good conscience however I cancelled it. For that price you can get they Asus 300 with the keyboard as I did.
Eliminated the Iconia A510, nice battery life however it does get very warm and $50.00 more than the Asus.
Eliminated the Tab 2, nice unit but it was going a step back to dual core and also the Asus was the same price for Tegra 3 Quad and 32bg memory.
Eliminated the Prime due to wireless issues and the Transformer due to pricing of $30.00 more you can got the Asus 300.
Eliminated the Asus Infinity 700...who knows when the US release will be and also how expensive it will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asu TF300 If your in the market: Buy It., April 27, 2012
This was a mail order item direct from Amazon. Delivery was faster than either of us expected. But even better is the Asus TF300. I was concerned about the comments in some of the reviews regarding the display and display brightness! Man, what a waste of energy, this tablet is perfect. I have owned both the Toshiba Thrive and the Acer Iconia A500. The TF300 beats them hands down. I like the thinness of the unit, the low weight, the incredible bright crisp display, Ice Cream Sandwich already loaded, and the feel of the unit. Touch response is fast and accurate. I was planning to upgrade to the TF700 when it became available, but not anymore. This one is a keeper and the price was right. It took less than an hour to set it up including an "Ice Cream Sandwich" upgrade and a few other downloads. Be sure and check out the TF300 if you are in the market for a tablet. You won't be sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially very happy... but then it broke under normal use., June 6, 2012
I received this item a few days ago, and if I'm honest, I probably haven't done a great deal else but play with it since, (since charging it for the first time for over 8 hours as recommended.)

I did have a few teething problems, (nothing to do with the unit, but rather my own stupidity.) For example, I'd totally forgotten I'd enabled MAC Address Filtering on my wireless router, so couldn't connect the ASUS at first until I wised up. Duh. I also struggled a little with the new environment of Android 4 as I'd only ever used Android 2.0 before, although a within an hour or two I'd got up to speed with it and now it's second nature. The only other small problem I've had is when maximizing Youtube videos to full-screen - sometimes it doesn't play correctly, (EDIT 070612 -- the Youtube App automatically updated recently and I no longer sometimes have a problem with maximizing video - it works perfectly now every time.)

I've already downloaded and used dozens of apps and games from the Google store, as well as set up Kindle access and several news feeds and apps, and pretty much everything else I wanted. I bought a 32gb memory upgrade but due to the huge 32gb internal memory of which I've used about 10gb so far I've just used the additional memory for a hefty chunk of my music collection and podcasts. I aim to leave the internal memory primarily for apps and app data - I'm sure it will take many years for me to even approach filling it up.

Android 4 (ICS) is an absolute joy to use, much better than I anticipated. I've already found that I no longer use my PC as much as I can do pretty much everything I need to on the ASUS. The slight tweaks ASUS has made to the vanilla system are fine, although it would appear users are locked into using the ASUS file manager which may be off-putting for some. I can't say I'm that bothered though, their File Manager works and does what I need.

Many people have commented on the screen quality being a little dull compared to more expensive alternatives. I don't find this a problem at all. The screen quality is far superior to anything I've used previously, so I'm perfectly happy with it. I doubt I'll ever need to use the tablet outside in bright sunlight, so I have no complaints other than the fact that there are two odd several inch horizontal smudges on the screen. When the screen is totally polished I cannot see them, but finger print oily deposits adhere to them differently than the rest of the screen and they soon become visible again, but only when the unit is switched off. As I can't see these marks when the unit is switched on, I'll live with it. The screen doesn't appear to be scratched or physically damaged; the texture is totally smooth, so I'm perplexed as to what these marks are.

The unit comes with minimal documentation so users might want to go to ASUS's website and download the full comprehensive manual in PDF format. This manual offers further assistance with the ASUS unit itself but also includes a useful Android user guide for those who aren't familiar with this operating system. I certainly learned a few things and found it useful.

Overall, I'm overjoyed with the unit. It's amazingly powerful and very well priced for the features it has. I absolutely love it and am very happy with my choice. I toyed between several alternatives for a week or so, (i.e. the new Samsung Galaxy, the Acer Iconia among others), until plumping for this ASUS and I'm glad I did.

EDIT: July 27th 2012
Unfortunately, my unit's screen totally broke on July 16th. A crack appeared during normal use. I had never mistreated or dropped the tablet. I suspect the screen was warped or weakened in some way after the device was put under duress in shipping due to the daft way Amazon packed it with the screen under pressure by the outer box with the device itself mounted right at the top of the inner (ASUS) box, (it was pushed upwards under duress due to air-pocket packagaing in a too small box.)Any other boxes that were sat on top of my delivery during transit would have transferred a good deal of their weight directly onto my screen due to the way the tablet box is constructed and the way this box was packed into an Amazon outer box. Amazon were sympathetic but wouldn't help due to my being outside the first 30 days so they gave me ASUS's details to deal with directly. ASUS replied to my email promptly but stated that my warranty didn't cover physical damage. (At this point I was kicking myself for not reporting the unit DOA immediately upon delivery.) Reading other comments from other users that suffered the same fate I saw that this would likely cost $200+ to have the item repaired through ASUS. Thankfully, I also bought a Squaretrade warranty for my unit at the time of my tablet purchase so I contacted them and they are currently processing a full refund for me after receiving my unit and stating that a repair is not possible.

If I buy a replacement tablet, I'll be sure to buy a tablet with Gorilla Glass such as the ASUS TF700 Infinity or perhaps something by another manufacturer. I've learned my lesson though by buying something that appears too good to be true. I paid for the omission of Gorilla Glass. It's a real shame as I truly adored this tablet! When it worked it was wonderful but too many corners have been cut in the manufacture to meet the sub-$400 price point.

I feel I must mark down my 5 star review to an "average" review, but take no pleasure in doing so. The TF300 was an incredible piece of kit when it worked, but my confidence in the materials and construction is gone now. I'm still tempted to buy another, but the TF700 with its Gorilla Glass inspires more confidence. At $500 minimum though, I really don't think I can justify that so may wait a few months and see what units appear on the market.

UPDATE: August 30th 2012
I missed having a tablet more than I anticipated so I decided to buy an ASUS Infinity TF700 and received it on August 7th. The TF700 is fantastic and well worth the $100 extra over the TF300 in my opinion. The new IPS+ high resolution screen is superb, the faster processor is welcome, the TF700 feels better constructed overall than the TF300, (partly due to being primarily made of metal), and having a built in flash for the rear camera is a nice extra too. However, the main reason I chose the TF700 over another TF300 was its inclusion of Corning Gorilla Glass. As my TF300 screen cracked during normal use and was never dropped or mishandled, I was wary of the same thing happening again, (despite my suspicion that the glass in my original TF300 was faulty from the start as the screen did dip slightly and have permanent marks on it right out of the box from new. I should have returned it immediately, but didn't as the marks were invisible when the unit was switched on and it worked fine. I probably would have returned it but for the fact I had a Squaretrade warranty that I knew would sort me out should the fault have got worse. I was probably just unlucky to receive a damaged item, but it still turned me off a little from buying another TF300 a little.)

However, after having used the TF700 regularly for a few weeks now I am still overjoyed by my decision to spend the extra for the TF700 and am glad I didn't wait any longer.