2,899 Reviews
 (1,351)

Published 5 months ago by joshua2415

I am a person who loved the first two films in the Transformer series. the first I think I watched twice, Dark Side of the Moon I watched at least four times and enjoyed each viewing.

Published 5 months ago by hawkeye

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is probably going to be laughed at, but I don't care., September 20, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)
I love all the transformers movies, just because they're entertaining. I know they're not critically acclaimed for the acting or the heart-wrenching story like say a Terms of Endearment, but they're not supposed to be. They're action, they're visually spectacular, and very fun! It's escapism at it's best. Watching these movies with a nice surround system is a must. The explosions, the sounds of the transforming, all of it is a much better experience with surround and a good subwoofer! I can do without 2 things in the movies...the eye candy that is the chicks in short shorts! To me, it just doesn't add to the movie. I guess because I'm not a adolescent teenage boy. Secondly, is the language. it seems like all sequels, things are pushed further each time another one is made. There was more profanity in this one than the others. It too doesn't add to the movie. My 4 year old son loves Transformers, too and I don't want him picking up the language. I know one day he will be exposed to it, but c'mon! These movies are enjoyed by all age groups, Michael Bay, please tone down those 2 things and all will be well. Mark Wahlberg did a good job in the movie... I like his movies anyway. I didn't miss Shia LaBeouf or any of the other actors from the previous ones. Also, this one had more work done on the video side. The greens were way greener. My wife noticed that almost everyone had colored eyes, and over exaggerated at that. I didn't mind all that, but it did seem a little weird. I loved the robots! All of them were too cool...Lockdown is a bad dude! His walk, his whole demeanor...I found myself liking him. Those Dinobots were massive! I can't wait to watch it again...and for the next one, which is probably already in the works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mystified How a Film With Such Great CGI and Production Values Can be So Boring, September 25, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)

This film is one of the most boring films I have seen. Despite it's great CGI, action scenes, and production values, I found the film unbearable to watch for more than 20 minutes at one sitting. It's just all out boring. The story is simple yet confusing. The acting was good enough. I can't say I was disappointed because the trailer didn't lead me to expect much. A shameful waste of production talent. I do hope there will be another in the series, but it's got to be be better than this.

If you are a Transformers fan my advice is to not buy it and wait for the rental.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, enjoyable, at times shocking and just a bit irritating!, July 9, 2014
It’s been years since the Decepticons and the Autobots battled for the fate of the humans in Chicago and human defenses against alien forces are at an all-time high. A government branch of humans is targeting all Transformers, Autobots and Decepticons alike, with the help of a menacing assassin. While all of this is going on, Cade Yeager, a struggling inventor from Texas tries to make enough means to keep his property and put his daughter Tessa through college. While looking for parts to help his inventions, he stumbles upon a broken down, rusted truck and decides to fix it up. To his surprise, the truck turns out to the mighty Optimus Prime. Cade fixes him and decides to help him defeat the forces coming for Earth yet, again once he realizes what the government is doing to Transformers. Now, the fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of Optimus and this family of humans and, without them, we might just face extinction.

This film is entertaining and visually very well done. Director Michael Bay uses the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images more immersive and stunning than anything that’s been seen on the big screen so far. It’s very intense to be sitting in the IMAX Theater seeing these 50 ft. robots captured in such a realistic way. If you’ve seen any of the previous films from this franchise you know that they are nothing short of action packed. The cinematography and CGI is able to show the intense battle scenes and large scale attacks in a breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat way. One thing that I don’t like about the visuals is the inconsistency of the Transformers from film to film. The main characters look the same but some of the Autobots that are introduced in this film are designed completely different than in any of the previous films. Their faces are constructed to have features that look extremely humanesque and it is strange to see them next to Optimus and BumbleBee who still have the classic Transformer look. Another inconsistency is that, in the last film, every time a Transformer was hit they would spill a blood-like-liquid, but in this film, if they are injured, the liquid that comes from the wounds is bright green.

It is very strange to see a Transformer film without Shia Labeouf but, I am quite impressed with Mark Wahlberg and the way he tackles this role. I think he’s a fantastic actor and really grounds the film. I’m also a fan of Nicola Peltz and think she is decent in this film. However, I am really sick of the way girls are portrayed in this franchise. Every single leading lady looks like a Victoria’s Secret model, is completely helpless about 75% of the movie, can never figure out how to help them self and has to be told to run before they do. Near the end, they have one moment of courage and that’s pretty much all. It’s a formula that is completely predictable in all of the Transformer films, but alas, it’s what sells.

Like I said before, this film is entertaining and it enjoyable. It kept me engaged, concerned for the characters, shocked and, I’ll admit, I did almost cry near the end. However this film is peppered with extremely cliché and honestly annoying lines and interactions. From the very beginning, Tessa is introduced as a stereotypical film version of a teenage girl. She rolls up with her friends screaming and giggling about how excited they are to party and be crazy. The whole interaction is cheesy and unnecessary and sets her up to look like a bimbo. After that, her boyfriend, who looks suspiciously similar to the Hemsworth brothers, comes to save the day and the rude, inappropriate and just plain stupid things he says to Tessa’s father drove me insane. There are several lines in the film that prompted me to say to myself, “Really? Was that really necessary?” The last irritating thing is the fact that they really drove the whole “American Way” and patriotism to the ground. In every seen at Cade’s ranch there are at least two American flags shown and it is constantly mentioned that they’re just good ole’ Texas folk, protecting America with cries of: “Don’t mess with our country!” “Think of your country!” “Fight for your country!” Previous films were less centered on our nation and more about the human race as a whole.

Despite my qualms regarding this movie, it is entertaining and the visuals are extremely well done. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend this film for ages 13 to 18 due to the violence and language. However, if you have seen the previous films and are under 13, then this film should be suitable for you. If you're a fan of Transformers, action or just want to experience the first film to ever use the million dollar IMAX Digital 3D camera, be sure to check out Transformer: Age of Extinction in theaters now.

Reviewed by Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

1.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Age of Whatever, September 30, 2014
This movie seemed to forget what plot to stick to. They started out with what looked like an intro to the dinobots. Then they go to another storyline. Lockdown is the main villain rather than the resurrected Galvatron.
They had a cool storyline with that where Galvatron has tricked the humans into bringing him back and helping him raise an army. This is similar to Transformers Animated where Megatron influenced a human to put him back together.
THEN they stray from this storyline and just subject you to mindless explosions and action.
It's like the movie kept forgetting what plot to stick with.
It bounced around a lot too. For instance, Optimus is severely injured when awakened. He then is completely revamped when he scans another Mack truck. It felt rushed.
Optimus himself is completely out of character in this film. He is angry and full of hate. These are characteristics of deceptions, NOT autobots.
You don't get a climactic showdown between Optimus and Galvatron. If feels like ROTF all,over again where Megatron/Galvatron is a side character. After sitting for over two hours to get a mediocre ending is disappointing.
Mark Walberg was a welcome addition to the cast. The boyfriend of his daughter was an empty character.
Kelsey Grammer was the evil government guy hellbent on wiping out all transformers.
I felt little political vibes about immigration there. Please keep politics out of a transformers movie.
The dinobots don't get a lot of screen time and are mindless. They had personality in the G1 series.
Here, they are just there, and grunt a few times. The way Optimus reasons with them to join their cause is again, uncharacteristic of Optimus. He just beats the hell,out of them until they comply.
The movie just drags out the constant repetitive explosions and ridiculous banter.
By the time it was at the 90'minute mark, I couldn't wait for it to just end.
There were lots of action, it just dragged on a little to much. I was glad that this movie had removed the gutter humor that plagued the first three films. The second movie was one long gutter joke.
At least they didn't subject you to three hours of toilet jokes.
As for other transformers, Hound was funny but looked stupid in robot form. Drift looked too cliched.
Over all, Mark Walberg was very likable. The daughter was more believable than the fake plastic actress from the third installment. The special effects were pretty great. A few scenes looked like too much cgi was there but did not affect my rating of the film.
It was the lackluster plot and length of the movie that made me give it one star.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, October 4, 2014
Lots of action, as usual. But this one missed the mark big time. The dinobots were cool, but only played a small part. The movie seemed disorganized. The girl & her boyfriend were both terrible. Very cold and honestly made me role my eyes a few times. Plus, I'm getting tired of Michael Bay making every single girl in the movie look like a playmate. I like a hot girl just like anyone else, but it gets to the point that it just turns a blockbuster into a B movie. Wahlberg is a good actor, but he could not even salvage this train wreck. By the last 45 minutes of the movie it felt like a chore to watch it. Heck, maybe I'm just getting tired of the same ole rehashed Transformer sequels. Although, I did like the last one. Overall, I give this movie a D. It just wasn't worth the time. I rented it and I'm glad I didn't buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flat out terrible, October 14, 2014
one of the worst movies I have ever seen. A cynical cash grab that further taints the reputation of the modern day Hollywood blockbuster. Michael Bay just literally flipped all us movie fans the finger on this one. Skip this at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the 1st movie then don't bother, December 19, 2014
Claudia Pepin (Hialeah, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
For the love of me I don't understand whoa giving this movie good ratings. Are only 10 year olds watching? This movie is beyond lazy, of course it seems that the director feels that a good script is unnecessary and I guess he's right given its box office so he has no incentive to actually make a good movie.

This movie's guest half is boring, and it's 2nd half is nonsensical. Example, when horrible things start happening it seems to take humans forever to react. Chinese people go from speaking Chinese to English among each other for no apparent reason. The plot is ridiculously convoluted yet idiotic at the same time.

I'm just happy I didn't doesn't money to watch this in theaters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought..., November 14, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)
...it couldn't get any worse after TF3....you were wrong.
From the cardboard cutout human characters whose existence in the film is anything but required.
Couple that with a story that borders on criminally barren.
The worst offense is an unforgivable almost three hour running time that would make even the most patient among us scream for an ending (mercy).
Apparently Michael Bay has learned nothing from his previous failures. Just the opposite, he seems Hell bent on destroying his own filmmaking legacy, as irrelevant as it was to start with, with a wanton destruction that manages to eclipse his own onscreen antics.
Recommended for endurance masochists.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only special effects, December 23, 2014
If you like special effects you will love the movie. But that is about the only good thing about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie is really bad. I thought MB would really raise his standards ..., October 20, 2014
This movie is really bad. I thought MB would really raise his standards to Armageddon level with this. This movie has no Afflack, No Tyler, No Willis, it doesn't even have any asteroids..its about transformers. not even practical transformers that we use in our homes each and every day. Jokes aside, the movie was really bad. Wahlberg plays the same character he does in every movie he's ever been in. Nobody else in the movie is even a notable character. The plot sucks, even the action is really bad. Don't watch unless youre under the age of 17 or are just play easily amused.