2,662 Reviews
 (1,205)

Published 4 months ago by joshua2415

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this but it was so bad
I wanted to like this but it was so bad. I was bored the whole time. It was action packed but really non-stop action which got really boring. Not a lot of story. I looked up half way through the movie and still had almost 2 hours left. Way too long.
Published 3 months ago by Locke Engel

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is probably going to be laughed at, but I don't care., September 20, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)
I love all the transformers movies, just because they're entertaining. I know they're not critically acclaimed for the acting or the heart-wrenching story like say a Terms of Endearment, but they're not supposed to be. They're action, they're visually spectacular, and very fun! It's escapism at it's best. Watching these movies with a nice surround system is a must. The explosions, the sounds of the transforming, all of it is a much better experience with surround and a good subwoofer! I can do without 2 things in the movies...the eye candy that is the chicks in short shorts! To me, it just doesn't add to the movie. I guess because I'm not a adolescent teenage boy. Secondly, is the language. it seems like all sequels, things are pushed further each time another one is made. There was more profanity in this one than the others. It too doesn't add to the movie. My 4 year old son loves Transformers, too and I don't want him picking up the language. I know one day he will be exposed to it, but c'mon! These movies are enjoyed by all age groups, Michael Bay, please tone down those 2 things and all will be well. Mark Wahlberg did a good job in the movie... I like his movies anyway. I didn't miss Shia LaBeouf or any of the other actors from the previous ones. Also, this one had more work done on the video side. The greens were way greener. My wife noticed that almost everyone had colored eyes, and over exaggerated at that. I didn't mind all that, but it did seem a little weird. I loved the robots! All of them were too cool...Lockdown is a bad dude! His walk, his whole demeanor...I found myself liking him. Those Dinobots were massive! I can't wait to watch it again...and for the next one, which is probably already in the works.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this but it was so bad, October 15, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy and Terrible., December 18, 2014
OMG, what a terrible movie!!! Plot holes, a "here then gone" Irish accent, cheap gimics, a nod to borderline statutory rape and the usual stereotyping / racism that has become the signature of all these transformers movies. Worst of all the movie is long. Could not even bring myself to finish the movie. I am just happy I didn't see it in the theater. If you only want to see bright lights, cars and explosions, lots of explosions - this may be up your alley. If you actually expect some effort to be put into the movies you pay to watch - look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor acting, poor plot line, October 15, 2014
This movie was way too long, and way too violent for their target demographic! And I couldn't believe how much swearing there was! I showed this to my 7-9 year old boys and in sorry I did.
Poor acting, poor plot line.

1.0 out of 5 stars Meaningless Action Without a Story, November 11, 2014
With such distinguished actors and high production value CGI it's amazing that even Michael Bay can screw up a movie, but he managed to find a way. This installment in the live-action Transformer's saga was even worse than the second movie, and I didn't think that was possible. With meandering action scene after action scene that seemed to have no real purpose, a disjointed and nonsensical plot, and dialog that made be want to stop the movie just for the sear badly delivered stupidity, this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Frankly, I can't believe that I actually watched it until the end and feel stupider for having done so. I'm all for a mindless action flick but even then there has to be some purpose to it all. This one just felt like Mr. Bay just said, "how can we throw more crap at the screen, more explosions, more flashy lights? We'll find a "reason" to shove it into the story line later. The most socking thing is all the "decent" reviews people have written about this garbage. It makes me weep for the future if this is what passes for entertainment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible script with no real plot direction over the course ..., December 25, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)
Simple. I wish I could be more charitable. The film has a terrible script with no real plot direction over the course of two and a half hours. There was plenty of potential for a character driven drama at the beginning of the film but any goodwill with the audience is squandered after an hour. The plot has threads that are neither coherently presented, or executed. They could have shorted the film by an hour and it would have left the same impression.

Spoilers ahead:

The "bounty hunter" plot thread is not explained and feels as it is tacked on for the sake of the ending, it isn't necessary to the story except as a target for action scenes. The Galvatron plot is definitely an appreciated nod to the original series, but where are the rest of the Decepticons? They are conspicuously absent, and you ask where they are if the Autobots survived the previous films. Optimus' comments about swearing never to take a human life, and later anger would more significant if the characters had any concern over the level of destruction and deaths that they surely cause.

Lots of shiny special effects and the legendary voice actor, Peter Cullen, simply cannot save this film from being the worst of the Transformer reboot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad movie, October 18, 2014
Horrible movie! The movie could have been accomplished in 60 minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mystified How a Film With Such Great CGI and Production Values Can be So Boring, September 25, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)
I am a person who loved the first two films in the Transformer series. the first I think I watched twice, Dark Side of the Moon I watched at least four times and enjoyed each viewing.

This film is one of the most boring films I have seen. Despite it's great CGI, action scenes, and production values, I found the film unbearable to watch for more than 20 minutes at one sitting. It's just all out boring. The story is simple yet confusing. The acting was good enough. I can't say I was disappointed because the trailer didn't lead me to expect much. A shameful waste of production talent. I do hope there will be another in the series, but it's got to be be better than this.

If you are a Transformers fan my advice is to not buy it and wait for the rental.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, enjoyable, at times shocking and just a bit irritating!, July 9, 2014
It’s been years since the Decepticons and the Autobots battled for the fate of the humans in Chicago and human defenses against alien forces are at an all-time high. A government branch of humans is targeting all Transformers, Autobots and Decepticons alike, with the help of a menacing assassin. While all of this is going on, Cade Yeager, a struggling inventor from Texas tries to make enough means to keep his property and put his daughter Tessa through college. While looking for parts to help his inventions, he stumbles upon a broken down, rusted truck and decides to fix it up. To his surprise, the truck turns out to the mighty Optimus Prime. Cade fixes him and decides to help him defeat the forces coming for Earth yet, again once he realizes what the government is doing to Transformers. Now, the fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of Optimus and this family of humans and, without them, we might just face extinction.

This film is entertaining and visually very well done. Director Michael Bay uses the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images more immersive and stunning than anything that’s been seen on the big screen so far. It’s very intense to be sitting in the IMAX Theater seeing these 50 ft. robots captured in such a realistic way. If you’ve seen any of the previous films from this franchise you know that they are nothing short of action packed. The cinematography and CGI is able to show the intense battle scenes and large scale attacks in a breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat way. One thing that I don’t like about the visuals is the inconsistency of the Transformers from film to film. The main characters look the same but some of the Autobots that are introduced in this film are designed completely different than in any of the previous films. Their faces are constructed to have features that look extremely humanesque and it is strange to see them next to Optimus and BumbleBee who still have the classic Transformer look. Another inconsistency is that, in the last film, every time a Transformer was hit they would spill a blood-like-liquid, but in this film, if they are injured, the liquid that comes from the wounds is bright green.

It is very strange to see a Transformer film without Shia Labeouf but, I am quite impressed with Mark Wahlberg and the way he tackles this role. I think he’s a fantastic actor and really grounds the film. I’m also a fan of Nicola Peltz and think she is decent in this film. However, I am really sick of the way girls are portrayed in this franchise. Every single leading lady looks like a Victoria’s Secret model, is completely helpless about 75% of the movie, can never figure out how to help them self and has to be told to run before they do. Near the end, they have one moment of courage and that’s pretty much all. It’s a formula that is completely predictable in all of the Transformer films, but alas, it’s what sells.

Like I said before, this film is entertaining and it enjoyable. It kept me engaged, concerned for the characters, shocked and, I’ll admit, I did almost cry near the end. However this film is peppered with extremely cliché and honestly annoying lines and interactions. From the very beginning, Tessa is introduced as a stereotypical film version of a teenage girl. She rolls up with her friends screaming and giggling about how excited they are to party and be crazy. The whole interaction is cheesy and unnecessary and sets her up to look like a bimbo. After that, her boyfriend, who looks suspiciously similar to the Hemsworth brothers, comes to save the day and the rude, inappropriate and just plain stupid things he says to Tessa’s father drove me insane. There are several lines in the film that prompted me to say to myself, “Really? Was that really necessary?” The last irritating thing is the fact that they really drove the whole “American Way” and patriotism to the ground. In every seen at Cade’s ranch there are at least two American flags shown and it is constantly mentioned that they’re just good ole’ Texas folk, protecting America with cries of: “Don’t mess with our country!” “Think of your country!” “Fight for your country!” Previous films were less centered on our nation and more about the human race as a whole.

Despite my qualms regarding this movie, it is entertaining and the visuals are extremely well done. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend this film for ages 13 to 18 due to the violence and language. However, if you have seen the previous films and are under 13, then this film should be suitable for you. If you're a fan of Transformers, action or just want to experience the first film to ever use the million dollar IMAX Digital 3D camera, be sure to check out Transformer: Age of Extinction in theaters now.

Reviewed by Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extinction? we should be so lucky..., November 12, 2014
jude pepper (Magna, Utah, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
i hate to have to admit it, but...
if i have one soapbox i've used my reviews to climb onto, it is sequel advocacy. i've always enjoyed catching up with old friends, as it were, and seeing what else is going on in their world. if there's one misconception in this world that is guaranteed to make my skin crawl every single time, it's the one according to which sequels are always crap.
to say nothing of the fact that i loved the Transformers as a kid. even now they seem to remain the toys i played with that i recall most fondly. so i loved and continue to love that wonderful first installment. it recaptured and expanded that magic i'd so relished in my childhood so adeptly as to leave me anxious to see how the franchise would develop.
only it didn't develop.
what's the problem? one possibility, alas, is that Episode One covered every base there was to cover. it wouldn't be the first time a franchise resulted even though there wasn't really anyplace left to go (Jaws, Highlander, Jurassic Park, every slasher movie ever made). so maybe that opener simply exhausted all that the combination of Transformers and cinema is capable of.
then again, maybe it has to do with the property being in the hands of Michael "Armageddon" Bay. there are other directors who seem to prefer spectacle to substance, but no one pushes it as far, no one wears it on his sleeve quite like Bay. somehow he lucked out with the first one - hands-down the very best film we can ever expect him to make - and he's pretty much run the premise in circles for three subsequent films.
some good character moments and adept comedy (from humans as well as robots) at least semi-salvaged Revenge Of The Fallen, but that element got fewer and farther between until now it has evaporated completely. (is that THE REASON Shia LeBouf and Kevin Dunn backed out or THE RESULT of them backing out? who abdicated first, the chicken or the egg?)
the major selling-point this time around is the Dinobots. you may recall that attempts were made to work them into earlier films, but they couldn't come up with a workable angle, a logical reason for them to even be here. ("i don't think even a real dinosaur would be fooled by a metal one.") someone finally got the idea to make them literally prehistoric and have them discovered by archaeologists, but it doesn't quite work. it's as if Bay grasped for whatever straw he could get, not caring how hokey it was.
one surprise is the distinguished actors who somehow get talked into taking part. you'll remember that Dark Of The Moon managed to ensnare the likes of John Malkovitch, Patrick Dempsey, and Frances McDormand. even Leonard Nimoy reprised his villainous Transformer character (albeit under a new name) from the Transformers cartoon movie from back in the day. (he even recycled his "needs of the many" line from Star Trek II, just to make sure we'd recognize him.) this time we get Kelsey Grammer and Staley Tucci, and it's no less of an anticlimax. for all the meaningful contributions Grammer and Tucci get to make, they might as well of cast Gilbert Gottfried and Pauly Shore.
(come to think of it, Nimoy was just one of a handful of surprisingly distinguished names - Robert Stack, Eric Idle, Scatman Crothers, Orson Welles - to turn up in that cartoon movie. so who knows, maybe Bay thinks he's carrying on some sort of grand tradition.)
in any case, the real stars are the Transformers themselves. admittedly Optimus Prime continues to tower (under the dulcet tones of Peter Cullen), and Bumblebee's unique "everyman robot" quality is still relatable. but even they're beginning to wear thin. if Megatron comes back from the dead one more time, Jesus Christ and Dracula will have to sue for copyright infringement.
all of which i could perhaps forgive if not for the way they get progressively longer. i know that may sound odd from someone who keeps saying that his very favorite movie is Lord Of The Rings, but the fact is, premises have fluctuating degrees of territory to cover. there's not always the same amount of story to tell. where LOTR left us wanting more after 11 and a half hours (i favor the extended version), here the movies expand but the plots atrophy. Age Of Extinction meanders and is ultimately just under three hours long simply for the sake of being just under three hours long. at this rate, Transformers 10 will last about a week.
i keep trying to convince myself that it's Michael Bay's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach, not the concept itself, that has run out of steam. i desperately want to believe there's another layer there, a hitherto untapped dimension, which just might enable these movies to again appeal to us lovers of storytelling as well as the gadget-happy.
but alas, we'll never be able to swear to it as long as Bay is at the helm.