2,870 Reviews
 (1,335)

Published 5 months ago by joshua2415

I am a person who loved the first two films in the Transformer series. the first I think I watched twice, Dark Side of the Moon I watched at least four times and enjoyed each viewing.

Published 5 months ago by hawkeye

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is probably going to be laughed at, but I don't care., September 20, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)
I love all the transformers movies, just because they're entertaining. I know they're not critically acclaimed for the acting or the heart-wrenching story like say a Terms of Endearment, but they're not supposed to be. They're action, they're visually spectacular, and very fun! It's escapism at it's best. Watching these movies with a nice surround system is a must. The explosions, the sounds of the transforming, all of it is a much better experience with surround and a good subwoofer! I can do without 2 things in the movies...the eye candy that is the chicks in short shorts! To me, it just doesn't add to the movie. I guess because I'm not a adolescent teenage boy. Secondly, is the language. it seems like all sequels, things are pushed further each time another one is made. There was more profanity in this one than the others. It too doesn't add to the movie. My 4 year old son loves Transformers, too and I don't want him picking up the language. I know one day he will be exposed to it, but c'mon! These movies are enjoyed by all age groups, Michael Bay, please tone down those 2 things and all will be well. Mark Wahlberg did a good job in the movie... I like his movies anyway. I didn't miss Shia LaBeouf or any of the other actors from the previous ones. Also, this one had more work done on the video side. The greens were way greener. My wife noticed that almost everyone had colored eyes, and over exaggerated at that. I didn't mind all that, but it did seem a little weird. I loved the robots! All of them were too cool...Lockdown is a bad dude! His walk, his whole demeanor...I found myself liking him. Those Dinobots were massive! I can't wait to watch it again...and for the next one, which is probably already in the works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mystified How a Film With Such Great CGI and Production Values Can be So Boring, September 25, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: Age of Extinction (Amazon Instant Video)

This film is one of the most boring films I have seen. Despite it's great CGI, action scenes, and production values, I found the film unbearable to watch for more than 20 minutes at one sitting. It's just all out boring. The story is simple yet confusing. The acting was good enough. I can't say I was disappointed because the trailer didn't lead me to expect much. A shameful waste of production talent. I do hope there will be another in the series, but it's got to be be better than this.

If you are a Transformers fan my advice is to not buy it and wait for the rental.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, enjoyable, at times shocking and just a bit irritating!, July 9, 2014
It’s been years since the Decepticons and the Autobots battled for the fate of the humans in Chicago and human defenses against alien forces are at an all-time high. A government branch of humans is targeting all Transformers, Autobots and Decepticons alike, with the help of a menacing assassin. While all of this is going on, Cade Yeager, a struggling inventor from Texas tries to make enough means to keep his property and put his daughter Tessa through college. While looking for parts to help his inventions, he stumbles upon a broken down, rusted truck and decides to fix it up. To his surprise, the truck turns out to the mighty Optimus Prime. Cade fixes him and decides to help him defeat the forces coming for Earth yet, again once he realizes what the government is doing to Transformers. Now, the fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of Optimus and this family of humans and, without them, we might just face extinction.

This film is entertaining and visually very well done. Director Michael Bay uses the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images more immersive and stunning than anything that’s been seen on the big screen so far. It’s very intense to be sitting in the IMAX Theater seeing these 50 ft. robots captured in such a realistic way. If you’ve seen any of the previous films from this franchise you know that they are nothing short of action packed. The cinematography and CGI is able to show the intense battle scenes and large scale attacks in a breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat way. One thing that I don’t like about the visuals is the inconsistency of the Transformers from film to film. The main characters look the same but some of the Autobots that are introduced in this film are designed completely different than in any of the previous films. Their faces are constructed to have features that look extremely humanesque and it is strange to see them next to Optimus and BumbleBee who still have the classic Transformer look. Another inconsistency is that, in the last film, every time a Transformer was hit they would spill a blood-like-liquid, but in this film, if they are injured, the liquid that comes from the wounds is bright green.

It is very strange to see a Transformer film without Shia Labeouf but, I am quite impressed with Mark Wahlberg and the way he tackles this role. I think he’s a fantastic actor and really grounds the film. I’m also a fan of Nicola Peltz and think she is decent in this film. However, I am really sick of the way girls are portrayed in this franchise. Every single leading lady looks like a Victoria’s Secret model, is completely helpless about 75% of the movie, can never figure out how to help them self and has to be told to run before they do. Near the end, they have one moment of courage and that’s pretty much all. It’s a formula that is completely predictable in all of the Transformer films, but alas, it’s what sells.

Like I said before, this film is entertaining and it enjoyable. It kept me engaged, concerned for the characters, shocked and, I’ll admit, I did almost cry near the end. However this film is peppered with extremely cliché and honestly annoying lines and interactions. From the very beginning, Tessa is introduced as a stereotypical film version of a teenage girl. She rolls up with her friends screaming and giggling about how excited they are to party and be crazy. The whole interaction is cheesy and unnecessary and sets her up to look like a bimbo. After that, her boyfriend, who looks suspiciously similar to the Hemsworth brothers, comes to save the day and the rude, inappropriate and just plain stupid things he says to Tessa’s father drove me insane. There are several lines in the film that prompted me to say to myself, “Really? Was that really necessary?” The last irritating thing is the fact that they really drove the whole “American Way” and patriotism to the ground. In every seen at Cade’s ranch there are at least two American flags shown and it is constantly mentioned that they’re just good ole’ Texas folk, protecting America with cries of: “Don’t mess with our country!” “Think of your country!” “Fight for your country!” Previous films were less centered on our nation and more about the human race as a whole.

Despite my qualms regarding this movie, it is entertaining and the visuals are extremely well done. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend this film for ages 13 to 18 due to the violence and language. However, if you have seen the previous films and are under 13, then this film should be suitable for you. If you're a fan of Transformers, action or just want to experience the first film to ever use the million dollar IMAX Digital 3D camera, be sure to check out Transformer: Age of Extinction in theaters now.

Reviewed by Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst one yet, December 27, 2014
I bought this DVD for my nephew for Christmas. He wanted all four movies and being the awesome aunt I am, I got them for him. I barely tolerated Dark of the Moon, but this? Oh Heavens above. Allow my facebook status to be review enough for you:

I was bored to tears! I generally like Mark Wahlberg, but geez. What was up with that movie?! I eventually only became interested in scenes with Stanley Tucci or Bumblebee, but not even they could save that film for me. The Irish lad, however, was nice to listen to at times. But the movie? I can barely give it a D-. Just...no. They should have stopped with #2.

1.0 out of 5 stars Meaningless Action Without a Story, November 11, 2014
With such distinguished actors and high production value CGI it's amazing that even Michael Bay can screw up a movie, but he managed to find a way. This installment in the live-action Transformer's saga was even worse than the second movie, and I didn't think that was possible. With meandering action scene after action scene that seemed to have no real purpose, a disjointed and nonsensical plot, and dialog that made be want to stop the movie just for the sear badly delivered stupidity, this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Frankly, I can't believe that I actually watched it until the end and feel stupider for having done so. I'm all for a mindless action flick but even then there has to be some purpose to it all. This one just felt like Mr. Bay just said, "how can we throw more crap at the screen, more explosions, more flashy lights? We'll find a "reason" to shove it into the story line later. The most socking thing is all the "decent" reviews people have written about this garbage. It makes me weep for the future if this is what passes for entertainment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy and Terrible., December 18, 2014
OMG, what a terrible movie!!! Plot holes, a "here then gone" Irish accent, cheap gimics, a nod to borderline statutory rape and the usual stereotyping / racism that has become the signature of all these transformers movies. Worst of all the movie is long. Could not even bring myself to finish the movie. I am just happy I didn't see it in the theater. If you only want to see bright lights, cars and explosions, lots of explosions - this may be up your alley. If you actually expect some effort to be put into the movies you pay to watch - look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst movie I've ever seen., October 12, 2014
J. J. Kane (Champaign, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I believe that as of Sept 2014 this is the worst movie I have seen in my entire 35 years of life.
I'm not exaggerating.
The story is a cluttered mess. The pacing is a disaster. The visuals are confusing to the point of being nonsensical.
It really felt like work just to get through the movie. I had to watch in 'shifts' over the course of two days.
If I had been in a movie theater, I would have left after about 45 minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, October 4, 2014
Lots of action, as usual. But this one missed the mark big time. The dinobots were cool, but only played a small part. The movie seemed disorganized. The girl & her boyfriend were both terrible. Very cold and honestly made me role my eyes a few times. Plus, I'm getting tired of Michael Bay making every single girl in the movie look like a playmate. I like a hot girl just like anyone else, but it gets to the point that it just turns a blockbuster into a B movie. Wahlberg is a good actor, but he could not even salvage this train wreck. By the last 45 minutes of the movie it felt like a chore to watch it. Heck, maybe I'm just getting tired of the same ole rehashed Transformer sequels. Although, I did like the last one. Overall, I give this movie a D. It just wasn't worth the time. I rented it and I'm glad I didn't buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flat out terrible, October 14, 2014
one of the worst movies I have ever seen. A cynical cash grab that further taints the reputation of the modern day Hollywood blockbuster. Michael Bay just literally flipped all us movie fans the finger on this one. Skip this at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the 1st movie then don't bother, December 19, 2014
Claudia Pepin (Hialeah, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
For the love of me I don't understand whoa giving this movie good ratings. Are only 10 year olds watching? This movie is beyond lazy, of course it seems that the director feels that a good script is unnecessary and I guess he's right given its box office so he has no incentive to actually make a good movie.

This movie's guest half is boring, and it's 2nd half is nonsensical. Example, when horrible things start happening it seems to take humans forever to react. Chinese people go from speaking Chinese to English among each other for no apparent reason. The plot is ridiculously convoluted yet idiotic at the same time.

I'm just happy I didn't doesn't money to watch this in theaters.