Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on September 20, 2014
I love all the transformers movies, just because they're entertaining. I know they're not critically acclaimed for the acting or the heart-wrenching story like say a Terms of Endearment, but they're not supposed to be. They're action, they're visually spectacular, and very fun! It's escapism at it's best. Watching these movies with a nice surround system is a must. The explosions, the sounds of the transforming, all of it is a much better experience with surround and a good subwoofer! I can do without 2 things in the movies...the eye candy that is the chicks in short shorts! To me, it just doesn't add to the movie. I guess because I'm not a adolescent teenage boy. Secondly, is the language. it seems like all sequels, things are pushed further each time another one is made. There was more profanity in this one than the others. It too doesn't add to the movie. My 4 year old son loves Transformers, too and I don't want him picking up the language. I know one day he will be exposed to it, but c'mon! These movies are enjoyed by all age groups, Michael Bay, please tone down those 2 things and all will be well. Mark Wahlberg did a good job in the movie... I like his movies anyway. I didn't miss Shia LaBeouf or any of the other actors from the previous ones. Also, this one had more work done on the video side. The greens were way greener. My wife noticed that almost everyone had colored eyes, and over exaggerated at that. I didn't mind all that, but it did seem a little weird. I loved the robots! All of them were too cool...Lockdown is a bad dude! His walk, his whole demeanor...I found myself liking him. Those Dinobots were massive! I can't wait to watch it again...and for the next one, which is probably already in the works.
2727 comments|378 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2014
Movie was way too long; should have cut 1/3 movie out to make it better. I have no idea why the director felt the need to have the boyfriend/girlfriend relationship continue in the series - it added no value to the movie (just a distraction). The plot had too many loose ends – made no sense; it is like they are not even trying anymore! I really like the action and the mechanics of the robots, special effects – likely because I am an engineer, but I found myself bored through a lot of the movie. The Dark side of the Moon movie was much better – at least that one had a plot. This is a rental movie for the kids (keep them busy for almost 3 hours).
on July 6, 2015
An A List cast was recruited for this C grade film. While the CGI has gotten much better over the years, this story line is definitely set for those prepubescent boys who might play with the toys.

Mark Walberg, Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammer and Titus Welliver lead this A List cast. It's pretty sad when names of that caliber can't either carry the film or make good film role choices.

The Transformers franchise has run the gamut and has now enlisted the aid of prehistoric dinosaur Transformers. What next? Star Wars? ET? Oh, wait, they are already ETs.

Running at nearly three hours, this movie is already more than twice as long as it should be. 75 minutes of this film would have been enough for most anybody. I know this was holiday blockbuster stuff, buy geeze Louise, NO ONE FILM needs to be this long!
on October 10, 2014
I give this movie 3 stars because even though the graphics are intense in the movie I'm really getting tired of the creators of the films taking such artistic license with the Transformers themselves. Back in the day, when the original cartoon was aired, Galvatron was a giant futuristic canon, now he's a freaking semi-truck? Hound was a jeep and now he's some other military vehicle but looks totally different when in robot mode. The Dinobots were decent but they should've stayed with Swoop's single-headed pteradactyl, not a two headed one. Really, only 2 of the Dinobots looked like their old selves in dino-mode. I also wasn't a fan of how Galvatron and the other new Decepticon-like Transformers transformed. They did it more like a swooping and rearranging of their particles rather than actual transforming.

Again, obviously you can't or shouldn't judge these Transformer movies on the same kind of merits as other action movies because they never are in those categories but if they're going to create these live-action films, then at least get more of the classic details correct. Not based off the new lame version of the cartoon but use the classic cartoons as inspiration for the various Transformers that have been taken from the original cartoons.
on September 30, 2014
This movie seemed to forget what plot to stick to. They started out with what looked like an intro to the dinobots. Then they go to another storyline. Lockdown is the main villain rather than the resurrected Galvatron.
They had a cool storyline with that where Galvatron has tricked the humans into bringing him back and helping him raise an army. This is similar to Transformers Animated where Megatron influenced a human to put him back together.
THEN they stray from this storyline and just subject you to mindless explosions and action.
It's like the movie kept forgetting what plot to stick with.
It bounced around a lot too. For instance, Optimus is severely injured when awakened. He then is completely revamped when he scans another Mack truck. It felt rushed.
Optimus himself is completely out of character in this film. He is angry and full of hate. These are characteristics of deceptions, NOT autobots.
You don't get a climactic showdown between Optimus and Galvatron. If feels like ROTF all,over again where Megatron/Galvatron is a side character. After sitting for over two hours to get a mediocre ending is disappointing.
Mark Walberg was a welcome addition to the cast. The boyfriend of his daughter was an empty character.
Kelsey Grammer was the evil government guy hellbent on wiping out all transformers.
I felt little political vibes about immigration there. Please keep politics out of a transformers movie.
The dinobots don't get a lot of screen time and are mindless. They had personality in the G1 series.
Here, they are just there, and grunt a few times. The way Optimus reasons with them to join their cause is again, uncharacteristic of Optimus. He just beats the hell,out of them until they comply.
The movie just drags out the constant repetitive explosions and ridiculous banter.
By the time it was at the 90'minute mark, I couldn't wait for it to just end.
There were lots of action, it just dragged on a little to much. I was glad that this movie had removed the gutter humor that plagued the first three films. The second movie was one long gutter joke.
At least they didn't subject you to three hours of toilet jokes.
As for other transformers, Hound was funny but looked stupid in robot form. Drift looked too cliched.
Over all, Mark Walberg was very likable. The daughter was more believable than the fake plastic actress from the third installment. The special effects were pretty great. A few scenes looked like too much cgi was there but did not affect my rating of the film.
It was the lackluster plot and length of the movie that made me give it one star.
33 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2014
Simple. I wish I could be more charitable. The film has a terrible script with no real plot direction over the course of two and a half hours. There was plenty of potential for a character driven drama at the beginning of the film but any goodwill with the audience is squandered after an hour. The plot has threads that are neither coherently presented, or executed. They could have shorted the film by an hour and it would have left the same impression.

Spoilers ahead:

The "bounty hunter" plot thread is not explained and feels as it is tacked on for the sake of the ending, it isn't necessary to the story except as a target for action scenes. The Galvatron plot is definitely an appreciated nod to the original series, but where are the rest of the Decepticons? They are conspicuously absent, and you ask where they are if the Autobots survived the previous films. Optimus' comments about swearing never to take a human life, and later anger would more significant if the characters had any concern over the level of destruction and deaths that they surely cause.

Lots of shiny special effects and the legendary voice actor, Peter Cullen, simply cannot save this film from being the worst of the Transformer reboot.
on December 17, 2014
Okay, I'm a fan of transformers and I'm a fan of Mark Wahlberg. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of even giving movies this rating.
How I came to this rating is solely based upon the fact that Michael Bay has had the sequel going thru changes and this was not true to the past ones I've seen.
Number one: not looking to see human face painted as transformer grill.
Number two: dramatically taking a lot of story time to get to the point... I couldn't finish it. Felt like a lot of focus went into introducing it starring Mark.
Number three: Ironhide's not in it anyways. I saw what and who I thought may be replacing Ironhide, but didn't want to see an actors face.
Now the third reason may be the reason fit my gripes from the beginning, but I assure you I couldn't finish it. Maybe I'd watch it again on someone else's t.v. tho. Maybe while waiting for car services or something.
on July 26, 2015
Mark Wahlberg plays an inventor who somehow stays in ridiculously good shape. The Autobots are being hunted by humans who claim to be saving humanity from alien machines while working with evil alien machines. Explosions. Something about his daughter and she has a boyfriend? Stuff happens. Bad guys want money. More explosions.

By the end, Optimus Prime had a sword and shield, riding a dinosaur into China facing off against American made cars and Mark Wahlberg is defending humanity with a sword gun.
on June 15, 2015
One very long movie I am glad I did not pay money to see it 2 :45 of shoot a ups and carnage + a few boring moments. The acting was flat out bad and I do not think I will bother watching the Dark side of the Moon. Sorry there just better movies out to watch and this series really gone about as far as it can. Unless you are a 10 year old and like watching action toys beat up and explode then this is the movie for you. I give it a c- rating and had the acting and plots been better and not so goofy I give it a c++ or B-
on July 17, 2015
This has been covered elsewhere, but I'll add my two cents: parents, this sends a terrible message that it OK for a 17 year old girl to date (and have relations with) a 20 year old man. The justification is base on an incorrect assumption that such a relationship is covered in Texas by a "Romeo & Juliet" law. The guy even keeps a laminated copy in his wallet! Creepy!

Google it. The law apparently is real, but not really a license to troll for jail-bait in Texas.

This movie is connected to HASBRO. It is meant for kids. But the character of the 17 year old girl is exploited as "eye-candy" and she also is a liar.

While acting goody-goody to her overprotective father, she has a relationship with a 20-year old man and also participates in his car racing career as a "stick man," a second person in the race car who shifts gears. This is a kid who cannot get her ears pierced or a tattoo without parental permission but is allowed in a race car? Give me a break.

There is an unhealthy combination of (robotic) extreme violence and pandering to pre-adolescent male hormones. Anything to make a buck.
review image
88 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse