3,152
Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange
Price:$14.99

on September 20, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
I love all the transformers movies, just because they're entertaining. I know they're not critically acclaimed for the acting or the heart-wrenching story like say a Terms of Endearment, but they're not supposed to be. They're action, they're visually spectacular, and very fun! It's escapism at it's best. Watching these movies with a nice surround system is a must. The explosions, the sounds of the transforming, all of it is a much better experience with surround and a good subwoofer! I can do without 2 things in the movies...the eye candy that is the chicks in short shorts! To me, it just doesn't add to the movie. I guess because I'm not a adolescent teenage boy. Secondly, is the language. it seems like all sequels, things are pushed further each time another one is made. There was more profanity in this one than the others. It too doesn't add to the movie. My 4 year old son loves Transformers, too and I don't want him picking up the language. I know one day he will be exposed to it, but c'mon! These movies are enjoyed by all age groups, Michael Bay, please tone down those 2 things and all will be well. Mark Wahlberg did a good job in the movie... I like his movies anyway. I didn't miss Shia LaBeouf or any of the other actors from the previous ones. Also, this one had more work done on the video side. The greens were way greener. My wife noticed that almost everyone had colored eyes, and over exaggerated at that. I didn't mind all that, but it did seem a little weird. I loved the robots! All of them were too cool...Lockdown is a bad dude! His walk, his whole demeanor...I found myself liking him. Those Dinobots were massive! I can't wait to watch it again...and for the next one, which is probably already in the works.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
This movie seemed to forget what plot to stick to. They started out with what looked like an intro to the dinobots. Then they go to another storyline. Lockdown is the main villain rather than the resurrected Galvatron.
They had a cool storyline with that where Galvatron has tricked the humans into bringing him back and helping him raise an army. This is similar to Transformers Animated where Megatron influenced a human to put him back together.
THEN they stray from this storyline and just subject you to mindless explosions and action.
It's like the movie kept forgetting what plot to stick with.
It bounced around a lot too. For instance, Optimus is severely injured when awakened. He then is completely revamped when he scans another Mack truck. It felt rushed.
Optimus himself is completely out of character in this film. He is angry and full of hate. These are characteristics of deceptions, NOT autobots.
You don't get a climactic showdown between Optimus and Galvatron. If feels like ROTF all,over again where Megatron/Galvatron is a side character. After sitting for over two hours to get a mediocre ending is disappointing.
Mark Walberg was a welcome addition to the cast. The boyfriend of his daughter was an empty character.
Kelsey Grammer was the evil government guy hellbent on wiping out all transformers.
I felt little political vibes about immigration there. Please keep politics out of a transformers movie.
The dinobots don't get a lot of screen time and are mindless. They had personality in the G1 series.
Here, they are just there, and grunt a few times. The way Optimus reasons with them to join their cause is again, uncharacteristic of Optimus. He just beats the hell,out of them until they comply.
The movie just drags out the constant repetitive explosions and ridiculous banter.
By the time it was at the 90'minute mark, I couldn't wait for it to just end.
There were lots of action, it just dragged on a little to much. I was glad that this movie had removed the gutter humor that plagued the first three films. The second movie was one long gutter joke.
At least they didn't subject you to three hours of toilet jokes.
As for other transformers, Hound was funny but looked stupid in robot form. Drift looked too cliched.
Over all, Mark Walberg was very likable. The daughter was more believable than the fake plastic actress from the third installment. The special effects were pretty great. A few scenes looked like too much cgi was there but did not affect my rating of the film.
It was the lackluster plot and length of the movie that made me give it one star.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
I am a person who loved the first two films in the Transformer series. the first I think I watched twice, Dark Side of the Moon I watched at least four times and enjoyed each viewing.

This film is one of the most boring films I have seen. Despite it's great CGI, action scenes, and production values, I found the film unbearable to watch for more than 20 minutes at one sitting. It's just all out boring. The story is simple yet confusing. The acting was good enough. I can't say I was disappointed because the trailer didn't lead me to expect much. A shameful waste of production talent. I do hope there will be another in the series, but it's got to be be better than this.

If you are a Transformers fan my advice is to not buy it and wait for the rental.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2014
Format: Blu-ray
It’s been years since the Decepticons and the Autobots battled for the fate of the humans in Chicago and human defenses against alien forces are at an all-time high. A government branch of humans is targeting all Transformers, Autobots and Decepticons alike, with the help of a menacing assassin. While all of this is going on, Cade Yeager, a struggling inventor from Texas tries to make enough means to keep his property and put his daughter Tessa through college. While looking for parts to help his inventions, he stumbles upon a broken down, rusted truck and decides to fix it up. To his surprise, the truck turns out to the mighty Optimus Prime. Cade fixes him and decides to help him defeat the forces coming for Earth yet, again once he realizes what the government is doing to Transformers. Now, the fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of Optimus and this family of humans and, without them, we might just face extinction.

This film is entertaining and visually very well done. Director Michael Bay uses the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images more immersive and stunning than anything that’s been seen on the big screen so far. It’s very intense to be sitting in the IMAX Theater seeing these 50 ft. robots captured in such a realistic way. If you’ve seen any of the previous films from this franchise you know that they are nothing short of action packed. The cinematography and CGI is able to show the intense battle scenes and large scale attacks in a breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat way. One thing that I don’t like about the visuals is the inconsistency of the Transformers from film to film. The main characters look the same but some of the Autobots that are introduced in this film are designed completely different than in any of the previous films. Their faces are constructed to have features that look extremely humanesque and it is strange to see them next to Optimus and BumbleBee who still have the classic Transformer look. Another inconsistency is that, in the last film, every time a Transformer was hit they would spill a blood-like-liquid, but in this film, if they are injured, the liquid that comes from the wounds is bright green.

It is very strange to see a Transformer film without Shia Labeouf but, I am quite impressed with Mark Wahlberg and the way he tackles this role. I think he’s a fantastic actor and really grounds the film. I’m also a fan of Nicola Peltz and think she is decent in this film. However, I am really sick of the way girls are portrayed in this franchise. Every single leading lady looks like a Victoria’s Secret model, is completely helpless about 75% of the movie, can never figure out how to help them self and has to be told to run before they do. Near the end, they have one moment of courage and that’s pretty much all. It’s a formula that is completely predictable in all of the Transformer films, but alas, it’s what sells.

Like I said before, this film is entertaining and it enjoyable. It kept me engaged, concerned for the characters, shocked and, I’ll admit, I did almost cry near the end. However this film is peppered with extremely cliché and honestly annoying lines and interactions. From the very beginning, Tessa is introduced as a stereotypical film version of a teenage girl. She rolls up with her friends screaming and giggling about how excited they are to party and be crazy. The whole interaction is cheesy and unnecessary and sets her up to look like a bimbo. After that, her boyfriend, who looks suspiciously similar to the Hemsworth brothers, comes to save the day and the rude, inappropriate and just plain stupid things he says to Tessa’s father drove me insane. There are several lines in the film that prompted me to say to myself, “Really? Was that really necessary?” The last irritating thing is the fact that they really drove the whole “American Way” and patriotism to the ground. In every seen at Cade’s ranch there are at least two American flags shown and it is constantly mentioned that they’re just good ole’ Texas folk, protecting America with cries of: “Don’t mess with our country!” “Think of your country!” “Fight for your country!” Previous films were less centered on our nation and more about the human race as a whole.

Despite my qualms regarding this movie, it is entertaining and the visuals are extremely well done. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend this film for ages 13 to 18 due to the violence and language. However, if you have seen the previous films and are under 13, then this film should be suitable for you. If you're a fan of Transformers, action or just want to experience the first film to ever use the million dollar IMAX Digital 3D camera, be sure to check out Transformer: Age of Extinction in theaters now.

Reviewed by Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2014
Format: DVD
i loved it i love transformers the film/G1 but I love is optimus prime
review image review image
on October 10, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
The story line might be decent, I don't know, I fell asleep before it was over. But the language! My kids love Transformers, everything to do with them, but I cannot let them watch this movie because of the swearing. I realize this is probably not a kid movie, it's directed at adults. I guess my problem is that they shouldn't make movies for adults using subject matter that used to be directed at children. Even for me, an adult, I found the swearing grating, why do they have to ruin a perfectly good movie with bad language? Does it really make the movie more interesting? The acting wasn't incredible either.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2014
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Out of all the TF movies, this one feels the most like a spectacle more than a story. The pacing is too frenetic. Most of the human characters were poorly written. Even Stanley Tucci's was rather disappointing. The daughter and the boyfriend ruined just about all the scenes they were in. Kelsey Grammar and Mark Walhberg's characters were thoughtful and fairly well executed, though.

As for the Autobots, most of their characters were poorly written as well. Just like the first movie, Optimus was butchered. He does not lose faith like this. EVER. Revenge of the Fallen was really the only movie that got him right. Ratchet would never have been such a coward. Bumblebee would never have rolled over like that for that moronic samarai autobot, whoever he was. (Again, Revenge was really the only movie did justice to Bee.) The green autobot with the trenchcoat was pretty cool. And Hound, while nothing like any previous incarnation of him, was pretty awesome. He actually felt alot like G1 Ironhide to me. They did him well.

There were really no Decepticons in this movie, which irritated me. Galvatron was a dud. Stinger was a turd. And I am sorry, but the way they transformed was utterly, laughably, ridiculous. Were they made from transformium? Or antigravitium? Even in a fantasy world, metal does not float or swarm like insects. Lockdown was well done. His character, as that of an independent bounty hunter, was very well executed.

I felt robbed by the dinobots. If you saw the trailers, you pretty much saw all their screen time.

It's worth watching once. But if I wasn't such a geek, I don't think I would have bought it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 22, 2014
Warning: Spoilers

What I enjoyed about this movie is the action sequences. They have been exciting and fun to watch in all of the movies. It's giant robots fighting in HD, so it's hard to go wrong there.

However, there are several things that could be improved upon. The first is what spoiled the movie for me the most, which is the unoriginal story. Why does there always have to be a damsel in distress in every transformers movie? Why is she constantly getting rescued, only to play a pivotal role in the very end where the good guys wouldn't win if she wasn't there? All four movies have been the same in this regard, there's a hot girl that likes the nerd, she is getting in trouble a lot but she has this independent attitude where she's going to do what she wants, and in the end she has a eureka moment that ends up saving the Earth. I'm tired of seeing this four times in a row now.

Furthermore, I'm not very excited to see a cheesy, stereotypical love story in a movie about giant robots. Almost every romance in a movie has the same nuances (e.g., James Bond), and I'm tired of it. I'm sure the majority of the people that watch these movies get some subtle enjoyment out of watching the good guy get the girl, but I don't. I paid to watch giant robots fight each other, not to see a melodramatic romantic comedy embedded in every scene. I'm guessing that there has been a new female actress in every movie because they ask for twice as much as what they got last time, and they don't care so they just hire someone else.

Third, while watching the Transformers movies I have always sat there wondering why they bother giving humans leading roles. Transformers should be about the transformers, they should be the main characters. They try so hard to give the humans any level of significance that it ends up being annoying. Having Marky Mark fend off Lockdown at the end with a sword-that-is-also-a-gun really made me want to stop watching. Lockdown goes around the Universe for centuries capturing the most wanted transformers, he nearly kills Optimus multiple times, and this human is actually winning a fight with him. Give me a break, I don't believe it. They did this in the other 3 movies too, somehow the main character is able to fight off transformers while everyone else is getting picked off left and right (except for the main character's friends, they are impossible to kill too).

Fourth, they really seem to have stopped trying in some of the action sequences. In the scene where the ship they were flying in was shot down, it smashes into the Earth into a giant fireball and tumbles into multiple buildings, and at the end of it all the humans step out of the open cockpit just fine. How were they not killed in the collision? Or the giant fireball? And why were they not thrown from the open cockpit? It's like they said who cares, let's have a big crash scene right here.

Fifth, I was really bothered by the blatant advertising throughout the movie. In one scene they crash into a Bud Light truck, and all of the bottles fly all over the ground. No bottles are smashed or anything, they must have not cared enough to make this part realistic. They end up panning over the bud light bottles for what feels like 5 seconds. For 5 seconds in this movie I'm staring at Bud Light bottles, and they thought this wouldn't be noticeable? Maybe they were forced to add it and they made the scene really crappy on purpose to spite their bosses? And at the end of the scene the hero pops one open and drinks it casually before throwing it on the ground. I wonder how much they paid for that scene. There also seems to be some Asian milk product in a juice box being advertised. I recognize it from the third movie--the milk the guy that gets pushed through a window was drinking. Well, they take 5 more seconds to show the inventor casually sitting in a chair drinking from the same juice box, literally nothing else is happening in the scene. They must be paying a lot for that cameo.

My dream is to have a Transformers movie where there are no humans involved, at least not in anything more than a supporting role. I want to see transformers, I don't want to see terrible acting ruining every movie. I want to learn about the background of the transformers, I don't want a new story conjured up about the humans that is explained in depth in every single movie. Skip the boring first hour of the movie where they introduce the humans and replace it with us learning about the transformers. They just introduce these new transformers in every movie and we don't even learn their names! Why can't their personalities be explored? Why can't we get to know them on the same level as the human main characters? It is a missed opportunity. And if they do make the transformers the main characters, _please_ don't add in a transformer damsel and a love story to go along with it.

So I give it 3/5, and I hope they try harder next time.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
Not sure what they were trying to do with this one. I am hoping this was just a set up for the ones they have planned and all the events that happened here will make sense.

Maybe it was because I rented the SD and not the HD version, but there were so many bad CGI scenes I honestly thought they got the same FX team that did Sharknado.

Too many plot holes to even begin talking about them here and there were a few plots that didn't make sense to have in the movie. Case in point, what was the purpose of having Tessa dating a 20 y/o and this guy actually caring a lamented card that allowed him a work around on dating a minor. The way they talked about it they had a preexisting relationship 2 years ago, so she was 15 and he was 18 and that some how made it all alright??? I would have to re-watch that scene (probably will not be happening) and follow the dialogue a little bit better, but that was my take away from it.

Anyway, I watched it because I've seen the other three and enjoyed the first two, was disappointed in the third and was hoping for a grand come back and restoration of my faith in the franchise. Sadly this did not happen. I can't solely blame Michael Bay for this rubbish, being as this had to go through many many many other hands for approval of release. Let's chalk this up as a lesson learned of what not to do for the franchise and do better on future movies.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 12, 2014
Format: Amazon Instant Video
In this Transformers sequel, autobots are in hiding after being hunted to near extinction by humans and Optimus Prime gets unexpected help from a mechanic (Wahlberg) and his daughter.

I have been a fan of the Transformer movie series since the first one originally came out, even though I really didn't follow the Transformers as a kid but the Age of Extinction just isn't as strong as the previous movies. First, the movie clocks in at way too long at 2 hours and 46 minutes and despite having great special effects and action, the story was a bit boring and not well written. This movie seemed to be a rewrite of Revenge of the Fallon and not a particularly good rewrite. I thought Wahlberg was a good addition but even his acting couldn't help a subpar script and cheesy one liners. The humor was almost cringe inducing at times and not particularly funny most of those times which is a shame since the previous movies had some funny moments mixed in well with the story.

Ultimately if you are a fan of the series, you will like it well enough to watch but this movie falls short of the previous movies, falling into the problem that a lot of sequels do with the if it is not broke don't fix it retread type of story line.

Too long, subpar script, cheesy one liners, weak humor, and a bit boring at times keep this movie from being as good or better than the movies that came before it. Ultimately for me, I was disappointed... 3 stars.