2,349 Reviews
 (1,036)

Published 3 months ago by joshua2415

I am a person who loved the first two films in the Transformer series. the first I think I watched twice, Dark Side of the Moon I watched at least four times and enjoyed each viewing.

Published 3 months ago by hawkeye

5.0 out of 5 stars This review is probably going to be laughed at, but I don't care., September 20, 2014
I love all the transformers movies, just because they're entertaining. I know they're not critically acclaimed for the acting or the heart-wrenching story like say a Terms of Endearment, but they're not supposed to be. They're action, they're visually spectacular, and very fun! It's escapism at it's best. Watching these movies with a nice surround system is a must. The explosions, the sounds of the transforming, all of it is a much better experience with surround and a good subwoofer! I can do without 2 things in the movies...the eye candy that is the chicks in short shorts! To me, it just doesn't add to the movie. I guess because I'm not a adolescent teenage boy. Secondly, is the language. it seems like all sequels, things are pushed further each time another one is made. There was more profanity in this one than the others. It too doesn't add to the movie. My 4 year old son loves Transformers, too and I don't want him picking up the language. I know one day he will be exposed to it, but c'mon! These movies are enjoyed by all age groups, Michael Bay, please tone down those 2 things and all will be well. Mark Wahlberg did a good job in the movie... I like his movies anyway. I didn't miss Shia LaBeouf or any of the other actors from the previous ones. Also, this one had more work done on the video side. The greens were way greener. My wife noticed that almost everyone had colored eyes, and over exaggerated at that. I didn't mind all that, but it did seem a little weird. I loved the robots! All of them were too cool...Lockdown is a bad dude! His walk, his whole demeanor...I found myself liking him. Those Dinobots were massive! I can't wait to watch it again...and for the next one, which is probably already in the works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mystified How a Film With Such Great CGI and Production Values Can be So Boring, September 25, 2014

This film is one of the most boring films I have seen. Despite it's great CGI, action scenes, and production values, I found the film unbearable to watch for more than 20 minutes at one sitting. It's just all out boring. The story is simple yet confusing. The acting was good enough. I can't say I was disappointed because the trailer didn't lead me to expect much. A shameful waste of production talent. I do hope there will be another in the series, but it's got to be be better than this.

If you are a Transformers fan my advice is to not buy it and wait for the rental.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extinction? we should be so lucky..., November 12, 2014
jude pepper (Magna, Utah, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
i hate to have to admit it, but...
if i have one soapbox i've used my reviews to climb onto, it is sequel advocacy. i've always enjoyed catching up with old friends, as it were, and seeing what else is going on in their world. if there's one misconception in this world that is guaranteed to make my skin crawl every single time, it's the one according to which sequels are always crap.
to say nothing of the fact that i loved the Transformers as a kid. even now they seem to remain the toys i played with that i recall most fondly. so i loved and continue to love that wonderful first installment. it recaptured and expanded that magic i'd so relished in my childhood so adeptly as to leave me anxious to see how the franchise would develop.
only it didn't develop.
what's the problem? one possibility, alas, is that Episode One covered every base there was to cover. it wouldn't be the first time a franchise resulted even though there wasn't really anyplace left to go (Jaws, Highlander, Jurassic Park, every slasher movie ever made). so maybe that opener simply exhausted all that the combination of Transformers and cinema is capable of.
then again, maybe it has to do with the property being in the hands of Michael "Armageddon" Bay. there are other directors who seem to prefer spectacle to substance, but no one pushes it as far, no one wears it on his sleeve quite like Bay. somehow he lucked out with the first one - hands-down the very best film we can ever expect him to make - and he's pretty much run the premise in circles for three subsequent films.
some good character moments and adept comedy (from humans as well as robots) at least semi-salvaged Revenge Of The Fallen, but that element got fewer and farther between until now it has evaporated completely. (is that THE REASON Shia LeBouf and Kevin Dunn backed out or THE RESULT of them backing out? who abdicated first, the chicken or the egg?)
the major selling-point this time around is the Dinobots. you may recall that attempts were made to work them into earlier films, but they couldn't come up with a workable angle, a logical reason for them to even be here. ("i don't think even a real dinosaur would be fooled by a metal one.") someone finally got the idea to make them literally prehistoric and have them discovered by archaeologists, but it doesn't quite work. it's as if Bay grasped for whatever straw he could get, not caring how hokey it was.
one surprise is the distinguished actors who somehow get talked into taking part. you'll remember that Dark Of The Moon managed to ensnare the likes of John Malkovitch, Patrick Dempsey, and Frances McDormand. even Leonard Nimoy reprised his villainous Transformer character (albeit under a new name) from the Transformers cartoon movie from back in the day. (he even recycled his "needs of the many" line from Star Trek II, just to make sure we'd recognize him.) this time we get Kelsey Grammer and Staley Tucci, and it's no less of an anticlimax. for all the meaningful contributions Grammer and Tucci get to make, they might as well of cast Gilbert Gottfried and Pauly Shore.
(come to think of it, Nimoy was just one of a handful of surprisingly distinguished names - Robert Stack, Eric Idle, Scatman Crothers, Orson Welles - to turn up in that cartoon movie. so who knows, maybe Bay thinks he's carrying on some sort of grand tradition.)
in any case, the real stars are the Transformers themselves. admittedly Optimus Prime continues to tower (under the dulcet tones of Peter Cullen), and Bumblebee's unique "everyman robot" quality is still relatable. but even they're beginning to wear thin. if Megatron comes back from the dead one more time, Jesus Christ and Dracula will have to sue for copyright infringement.
all of which i could perhaps forgive if not for the way they get progressively longer. i know that may sound odd from someone who keeps saying that his very favorite movie is Lord Of The Rings, but the fact is, premises have fluctuating degrees of territory to cover. there's not always the same amount of story to tell. where LOTR left us wanting more after 11 and a half hours (i favor the extended version), here the movies expand but the plots atrophy. Age Of Extinction meanders and is ultimately just under three hours long simply for the sake of being just under three hours long. at this rate, Transformers 10 will last about a week.
i keep trying to convince myself that it's Michael Bay's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach, not the concept itself, that has run out of steam. i desperately want to believe there's another layer there, a hitherto untapped dimension, which just might enable these movies to again appeal to us lovers of storytelling as well as the gadget-happy.
but alas, we'll never be able to swear to it as long as Bay is at the helm.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible language., October 10, 2014
The story line might be decent, I don't know, I fell asleep before it was over. But the language! My kids love Transformers, everything to do with them, but I cannot let them watch this movie because of the swearing. I realize this is probably not a kid movie, it's directed at adults. I guess my problem is that they shouldn't make movies for adults using subject matter that used to be directed at children. Even for me, an adult, I found the swearing grating, why do they have to ruin a perfectly good movie with bad language? Does it really make the movie more interesting? The acting wasn't incredible either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought..., November 14, 2014
...it couldn't get any worse after TF3....you were wrong.
From the cardboard cutout human characters whose existence in the film is anything but required.
Couple that with a story that borders on criminally barren.
The worst offense is an unforgivable almost three hour running time that would make even the most patient among us scream for an ending (mercy).
Apparently Michael Bay has learned nothing from his previous failures. Just the opposite, he seems Hell bent on destroying his own filmmaking legacy, as irrelevant as it was to start with, with a wanton destruction that manages to eclipse his own onscreen antics.
Recommended for endurance masochists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, enjoyable, at times shocking and just a bit irritating!, July 9, 2014
It’s been years since the Decepticons and the Autobots battled for the fate of the humans in Chicago and human defenses against alien forces are at an all-time high. A government branch of humans is targeting all Transformers, Autobots and Decepticons alike, with the help of a menacing assassin. While all of this is going on, Cade Yeager, a struggling inventor from Texas tries to make enough means to keep his property and put his daughter Tessa through college. While looking for parts to help his inventions, he stumbles upon a broken down, rusted truck and decides to fix it up. To his surprise, the truck turns out to the mighty Optimus Prime. Cade fixes him and decides to help him defeat the forces coming for Earth yet, again once he realizes what the government is doing to Transformers. Now, the fate of the entire human race lies in the hands of Optimus and this family of humans and, without them, we might just face extinction.

This film is entertaining and visually very well done. Director Michael Bay uses the first IMAX Digital 3D camera, making the images more immersive and stunning than anything that’s been seen on the big screen so far. It’s very intense to be sitting in the IMAX Theater seeing these 50 ft. robots captured in such a realistic way. If you’ve seen any of the previous films from this franchise you know that they are nothing short of action packed. The cinematography and CGI is able to show the intense battle scenes and large scale attacks in a breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat way. One thing that I don’t like about the visuals is the inconsistency of the Transformers from film to film. The main characters look the same but some of the Autobots that are introduced in this film are designed completely different than in any of the previous films. Their faces are constructed to have features that look extremely humanesque and it is strange to see them next to Optimus and BumbleBee who still have the classic Transformer look. Another inconsistency is that, in the last film, every time a Transformer was hit they would spill a blood-like-liquid, but in this film, if they are injured, the liquid that comes from the wounds is bright green.

It is very strange to see a Transformer film without Shia Labeouf but, I am quite impressed with Mark Wahlberg and the way he tackles this role. I think he’s a fantastic actor and really grounds the film. I’m also a fan of Nicola Peltz and think she is decent in this film. However, I am really sick of the way girls are portrayed in this franchise. Every single leading lady looks like a Victoria’s Secret model, is completely helpless about 75% of the movie, can never figure out how to help them self and has to be told to run before they do. Near the end, they have one moment of courage and that’s pretty much all. It’s a formula that is completely predictable in all of the Transformer films, but alas, it’s what sells.

Like I said before, this film is entertaining and it enjoyable. It kept me engaged, concerned for the characters, shocked and, I’ll admit, I did almost cry near the end. However this film is peppered with extremely cliché and honestly annoying lines and interactions. From the very beginning, Tessa is introduced as a stereotypical film version of a teenage girl. She rolls up with her friends screaming and giggling about how excited they are to party and be crazy. The whole interaction is cheesy and unnecessary and sets her up to look like a bimbo. After that, her boyfriend, who looks suspiciously similar to the Hemsworth brothers, comes to save the day and the rude, inappropriate and just plain stupid things he says to Tessa’s father drove me insane. There are several lines in the film that prompted me to say to myself, “Really? Was that really necessary?” The last irritating thing is the fact that they really drove the whole “American Way” and patriotism to the ground. In every seen at Cade’s ranch there are at least two American flags shown and it is constantly mentioned that they’re just good ole’ Texas folk, protecting America with cries of: “Don’t mess with our country!” “Think of your country!” “Fight for your country!” Previous films were less centered on our nation and more about the human race as a whole.

Despite my qualms regarding this movie, it is entertaining and the visuals are extremely well done. I give it 4 out of 5 stars and recommend this film for ages 13 to 18 due to the violence and language. However, if you have seen the previous films and are under 13, then this film should be suitable for you. If you're a fan of Transformers, action or just want to experience the first film to ever use the million dollar IMAX Digital 3D camera, be sure to check out Transformer: Age of Extinction in theaters now.

Reviewed by Raven D, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more youth reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.

1.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Age of Whatever, September 30, 2014
This movie seemed to forget what plot to stick to. They started out with what looked like an intro to the dinobots. Then they go to another storyline. Lockdown is the main villain rather than the resurrected Galvatron.
They had a cool storyline with that where Galvatron has tricked the humans into bringing him back and helping him raise an army. This is similar to Transformers Animated where Megatron influenced a human to put him back together.
THEN they stray from this storyline and just subject you to mindless explosions and action.
It's like the movie kept forgetting what plot to stick with.
It bounced around a lot too. For instance, Optimus is severely injured when awakened. He then is completely revamped when he scans another Mack truck. It felt rushed.
Optimus himself is completely out of character in this film. He is angry and full of hate. These are characteristics of deceptions, NOT autobots.
You don't get a climactic showdown between Optimus and Galvatron. If feels like ROTF all,over again where Megatron/Galvatron is a side character. After sitting for over two hours to get a mediocre ending is disappointing.
Mark Walberg was a welcome addition to the cast. The boyfriend of his daughter was an empty character.
Kelsey Grammer was the evil government guy hellbent on wiping out all transformers.
I felt little political vibes about immigration there. Please keep politics out of a transformers movie.
The dinobots don't get a lot of screen time and are mindless. They had personality in the G1 series.
Here, they are just there, and grunt a few times. The way Optimus reasons with them to join their cause is again, uncharacteristic of Optimus. He just beats the hell,out of them until they comply.
The movie just drags out the constant repetitive explosions and ridiculous banter.
By the time it was at the 90'minute mark, I couldn't wait for it to just end.
There were lots of action, it just dragged on a little to much. I was glad that this movie had removed the gutter humor that plagued the first three films. The second movie was one long gutter joke.
At least they didn't subject you to three hours of toilet jokes.
As for other transformers, Hound was funny but looked stupid in robot form. Drift looked too cliched.
Over all, Mark Walberg was very likable. The daughter was more believable than the fake plastic actress from the third installment. The special effects were pretty great. A few scenes looked like too much cgi was there but did not affect my rating of the film.
It was the lackluster plot and length of the movie that made me give it one star.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but this sequel fails to live up to the previous, October 11, 2014
In this Transformers sequel, autobots are in hiding after being hunted to near extinction by humans and Optimus Prime gets unexpected help from a mechanic (Wahlberg) and his daughter.

I have been a fan of the Transformer movie series since the first one originally came out, even though I really didn't follow the Transformers as a kid but the Age of Extinction just isn't as strong as the previous movies. First, the movie clocks in at way too long at 2 hours and 46 minutes and despite having great special effects and action, the story was a bit boring and not well written. This movie seemed to be a rewrite of Revenge of the Fallon and not a particularly good rewrite. I thought Wahlberg was a good addition but even his acting couldn't help a subpar script and cheesy one liners. The humor was almost cringe inducing at times and not particularly funny most of those times which is a shame since the previous movies had some funny moments mixed in well with the story.

Ultimately if you are a fan of the series, you will like it well enough to watch but this movie falls short of the previous movies, falling into the problem that a lot of sequels do with the if it is not broke don't fix it retread type of story line.

Too long, subpar script, cheesy one liners, weak humor, and a bit boring at times keep this movie from being as good or better than the movies that came before it. Ultimately for me, I was disappointed... 3 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars I want the 2 hours back that I wasted on this dung., October 20, 2014
Oh boy. What a disgrace. So the Transformers now CUSS , SMOKE, and KILL humans. Gone is the day where Optimus Prime and his fellow autobots were good heroes. After the first Transformers movie was made, it was hard to watch the other ones because of all the scantily clad females and sex references and of course Shiloh Lawhatever character carrying a GUN like he is some action hero. Puke. Now they have Walkberg who l like better the Shiloh but this movie is not a good movie for kids. One, it teaches blatantly disrespect for parents. ( The teenager daughter dresses like a hoochie even though the father reprimands her, she speak to him like he is the kid and she is the adult, she is lying to her father, she is bringing a guy in to her bedroom at night implying sex with a MINOR, she is 17 he is 20) The guy is arrogant and disrespectful to the father. That is just the people. Optimus is now somehow broken down and when he finds out the humans kill Ratchet he kills the human that did it. I can go on and on but basically Michael Bay has ruined the Transformers , kids needs heroes to look up to that have morals and ethics but where are they? I am not surprised that Bay had the age difference thing in there , I believe that he was in court for some pedo charges that got dismissed. You cant kill the golden goose while he is still laying eggs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't get past the foul language, November 26, 2014
Really wanted to like this movie but just couldn't get past the language. Why is it that Hollywood thinks foul language must be used everywhere - I guess when you here 6 year olds in the mall dropping the 'f' bomb what do you expect? When did people become so ignorant that they can't talk without using curse words? Oh well I watched this at a friend's and thought I would buy it myself but now I won't be getting it. Maybe if we stop buying this kind of filth, they will start making movies that families can watch together.