Transformers Animated: The Complete Series
Price:$39.97+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 6, 2014
Transformers Animated is one of the best transformers series to come out in the last ten years. Some would disagree with me I know but in my own opinion Animated did everything a transformers series needs to and did it well beyond what previous attempts had done. The previous 4 series before it were produced for Japan first before airing in an english dubbing. This time the reverse occured. And it helped immensely by focusing on a more kid friendly and entertaining aspects other than the Autobot vs. Decepticon dynamic.

Animation is primarily a higher quality Flash animation where the character models were produced by lead designer Derrick J Wyatt (Ben 10: Omniverse, Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated). Many of the characters are of an angular yet fluid design. It may be a show about Giant metal robots but the animation likes to treat them as a cartoon in the right amount of bending of the characters and environment.That is most likely either it's greatest strength or weakness depending on your tastes.

The show is based around Optimus "Prime" (Prime in this series is more of a rank than name) and his small crew of Space Bridge Repair bots consisting of Bumblebee (who is a wisecracking smart alec daredevil sort), Bulkhead ,the big lovable but destructive bot of the group, Ratchet, the grumpy old war veteran medical bot, and Prowl, who is more of a mystical cyber ninja robot in this series. In the beginning after accidentally coming across the lost Allspark on a Space Bridge asteroid in the middle of nowhere, they attract the attention of Megatron and the Decepticon flagship. After a small battle with Megatron, Him and the the Autobots crash land on Earth, specifically near a future Detroit, with the Autobots going into stasis for some time splashing their ship into Lake Eerie and Megatron impacting on a teenage boys farm outside the city.

Season 1 of the show deal with the Autobots acclimating to life on Earth with the help of their new human friend Sari Sumdac. A hyper little girl who seems more like an actual kid than most of the previous kid sidekicks in the series before her. She also happens to be the daughter of a rich robotics designer Issac Sumdac who has cornered the market on robotics of all types. While Sari shows them the ropes of Earth living the Autobots become heroes by stopping some silly human supervillians like the Angry Archer, Nano Sec, Professor Princess and a few more. But the true threat happens to be in Sumdacs Lab. Megatrons Head and remaining body parts are what Sumdacmade his robotics empire from and the remergence of the Autobots awakened Megatron as well. Over the course of the season the rest of the Decpticons come to earth and eventually have it out at the season ender
Season 2 has the Decepticons on Earth in hiding as the Autobot Supreme Commander comes in for a couple episode check up on Primes crew. Also they must deal with a situation that has created new transformers on Earth for both good or bad. Personal favorite is the episode featuring Wreck-Gar (played by Weird Al Yankovic) as a newly created Transformer that transforms into a garbage truck that searches for his own place in the world and making a mess of things as he goes along. Eventually the Decepticons form a plan to invade Cybertron and a big showdown commences bringing to light some secrets.

Season 3 creates a big change for Sari after thing come to light for her. As well as certain things in the Autobot Command structure on Cybertron. The human Villains take the back seat to the Decepticons as they struggle about leaderless after season 2. Megatron is taken off the board temporarily but comes back in a big way to finish off the series.

All in all the series is a love letter to all the previous versions of transformers that came before it. References to everything from G1 to Cybertron are included as well as a few things that didn't ever come out before. The Characters are a bit off from what may have been previously but they take off on their own brilliantly. From old characters like Blitzwing becoming 3 times as personal, to new characters like Lugnut the big brute of a Decepticon who worships the ground Megatron steps on. Each character has a fun niche to fill. And unlike the previous Japanese series episodes are typically standalone adventures which doesn't need knowledge of every single episode to enjoy

Also the voice cast for this series great. To start with David Kaye, previously the voice of Megatron/Galvatron for most of the last decade becomes the voice of Optimus Prime and a few others. Spongebob and Patrick themselves, Tom Kenny, and Bill Fagerbakke, are the voices of Starscream and Bulkhead. Tara Strong (Raven from Teen Titans or Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: FiM) is the kid sidekick Sari. They even got old G1 veterans like Corey Burton (Shockwave, Spike, and now Megatron), Susan Blu (Arcee) and John Moschitta (Blurr). The best however has to be Townsend Coleman who is well know as the voice of the Tick in the 90's cartoon series. The Animators knew this and made his character Sentinel Prime resemble the Tick in quite a few ways.

This set is the first time Season 3 has gotten a DVD release. When Paramount originally released it they only put out the Season One opener movie "Transform and Roll Out, Season One, and Season Two. Season 3 has been long awaited these last few years. Unknown is whether the new set contains the few Short cartoons that accompanied the previous sets so owners of the previous sets may want to hold on to them just yet. All in all unless you just don't like the animation style or some actual personality to your characters I can't recommend this series more than enough. Check it out if your a fan of fun hijinks and adventure with your warring robots
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2014
You wouldn't believe how happy I was when I found this. I immediately bought it.
I spent 3 days watching seasons 1-3. I was ecstatic the entire time. This series has brought many laughs and the animation was awesome!
Unfortunatly, all good things come to a...quite tragic end. When the last episode ended, I thought to myself,"Yaaassss, I wonder what happens next.." Only to feel my heart sink when it went back to the DVD menu.
This series was cut too short. There are so many unanswered questions that never had the chance to be explained.
Doesn't make sense on why they were given the axe.. The toy sales were great and Season 4 was already being planned. I enjoyed this waaaay more than what Michael Bay had...given....us.
I can only hope that they pick this series back up...
Now I can only wait for a complete series of Transformers Prime.. At least that was completed..
on June 15, 2015
So originally I didn't think I was going to like Animated. It's style was too kiddish, and the first episode was too ridiculous for me to think I'd get into it. It was made for tv, and I knew that it would affect the quality. After all there's not much you can do in the 21 minutes or so they were given for each episode.

Boy I was wrong. I started liking it immediately despite it's cotton candy nature. If you're thinking it'll be like Transformers Prime then forget it. It's catered to children, that's for sure, but an adult like me can enjoy some of the darker elements of the show. The characters aren't what you're used to if you're a fan, but they're lovable all the same.

As I said, the episodes are short. Unfortunately they copy the first Transformers cartoon and make single episodes contain an entire story plot. While there is nothing wrong with this, it makes it seem very quick and any actual story is lost among piles of fillers. Unlike Prime which has a cohesive plot, Animated has more of a set destination, but no obvious way of getting there. Basic plot: keep the Decepticon's from destroying the world. That's it really. Everything else is free game, and unfortunately the show focus's on Teen-Titan like cartoon super villains more ss than the actually Decepticon villains.

The ending is not as expected. I will keep the details to myself, but prepare to be disappointed. It should have lasted alot longer than it did, and the quick prepared for tv episodes leave you wanting more. While it was a good ending, it's still an abrupt train wreck and a halt that make you wonder if you've missed a few chapters. For those wanting a little more, there is a comic that goes along with the cartoon. It can clear up some of the ending and tie up a few loose ends.

All in all this was a surprisingly enjoyable cartoon. An adult can find themselves liking it as long as you're okay with cartoon super villains and cheesy one-liners. It can be fun as long as you let it, and while I don't associate this show with more serious ones like Prime or the IDW comics, it is still fun for any Transformer fan.
on June 30, 2014
All 42 episodes of this terrific (and tragically short) series which was intended for a younger audience than Transformers Prime. No extras are included with this release, however since I did not buy this as a collectors item the lack of extras did not matter.
on October 11, 2014
The Greatest Transformer series ever, finally complete on DVD and in Widescreen. Every episode, from the multi-part pilot to the series finale in Widescreen, looking and sounding great.

The only complaint, if you could call it that, is that there isn't much in the way of extras.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Transformers Animated has long been my favorite Transformers series, so when I found out that Shout Factory was releasing all three seasons on DVD I was stoked! They lived up to their usual high quality standards with this set (all play that actually plays all the episodes for the win!) but still kept the consumer cost super reasonable.

I wish for a better scene skip option when I've had to stop the disc in the middle of my binge, but that isn't enough of a problem for me to lower my rating. Your milage may vary on this point.
on October 16, 2014
Vibrant animation and thrilling action, with surprising depth and maturity of story. The first handful of episodes seem like a fairly standard, if fun, action cartoon, but the seventh episode is where it first shows signs of how deep it can go. A fan favorite, a personal favorite, and a ride well worth taking. Widescreen is a nice plus. My only complaint is that the special features seem to have been SERIOUSLY skimped on.
on July 30, 2014
I watched this series on the HUB before going to school and found it enjoyable. It reminds me The Transformers (like G.I. Joe, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) are the kinds of creations that can be successfully re-envisioned for different audiences.
on April 20, 2015
I had my reservations when this series originally came out. I suppose it was the odd art style that got to me. But after giving it a shot, I quickly warmed up to it and the characters, and it's since become one of my favorite versions of the Transformers franchise. Sadly, the show only lasted three seasons, and, I feel, was cut short before some truly epic storylines really got started (if the hints and information presented in the Allspark Almanac books are anything to go by). None the less, for what it is, I'm happy to have the complete series now, since for the longest time, they only had the first two seasons released.

In this version, the original war between the Autobots and Decepticons has long since been over, and Optimus Prime leads a rag tag group of misfits who are just simple maintance workers. In this version, Optimus isn't the leader of the Autobots (at least, not at first); the word "Prime" is just used to indicate rank. His team/friends include hotheaded medic Ratchet, calm and logical ninja Prowl, sweet and loveable Bulkhead (who's much smarter than he appears), and spunky prankster/youngster Bumblebee. When the team accidentally stumbles upon a powerful artifact called the Allspark, they re-ignite the battle between the Autobots and Decepticons, resulting in the fight being taken to Earth (as per usual in most iterations of the show). There, the main five Autobots make it their duty to protect the Earth from both the Decepticons, as well as a cast of human supervillains, all while learning about their new home via their human friend; an 8 year old girl named Sari Sumdac (who holds a few secrets of her own).

All the characters are pretty likeable, and this version of Optimus Prime was pretty unique. In all other versions, we see him as the steadfast, confident and wise leader, but here, Optimus is just starting out; coming into his own and learning what it takes to rally a team of unlikely heroes to save the universe. And out of all the various human characters that've graced the TF franchise (fans seem to either love them or hate them, with no in between), Sari remains one of my favorites. For one thing, this was the first time we got a GIRL as the main human protagonist (not that we haven't had girls before, but they still always seem to play second fiddle to the main boy character), and she was only 8 years old at the start of the series (the youngest protagonist thus far). She was also clearly of Indian decent (if her skin tone and her dad are anything to go by), also making her the first human POC in a Transformers show (if I'm not mistaken). Always nice to see some positive race representation. :)

As for the villains, Megatron is much more menacing in this incarnation; reminding me a bit of Slade from the Teen Titans cartoon. Much as I love Frank Welker's performance, this is NO bad guy to be messed with. He never cackles or gets cocky; never calls a retreat or brags about his master plans. He's always very cool and collect; always staying one step ahead of the heroes like a master chess player; always immediately thinking up a new plan when his first plans fail. Fan favorite Starscream makes a comeback, and Tom Kenny is clearly channeling the late Chris Latta's 80s performance. Black Arachnia from Beast Wars makes a transition to this show as well, although her background origin is altered (and without spoiling anything, it's pretty tragic). As for the human villains, they're kind of hit or miss, but they never overshadow the Decepticons. I never had a problem with them, although your mileage may vary (as I said, fans either love or hate the humans in Transformers).

And for the hard core TF fans, homages, references, call backs, and Easter Eggs to past incarnations of the franchise are up the wazzoo. Nearly every episode has more than a few cameos if you look hard enough. Some, they don't even attempt to hide. Spike, Carly, and Daniel from the original G1 show appear more than once, and one episode famously has Weird Al Yankovic voicing this series' incarnation of Wreck-Gar (a reference to the usage of his song, "Dare to be Stupid" in "Transformers: The Movie"). And plenty of other fan favorites, like Arcee, Blitzwing, Waspinator, Jazz, Swindle, the Dinobots, and many others all appear.

Sadly, there's very little in the way of special features. The only extras are all the extra bonuses that were included on the first two season set releases, with nothing new added.

Clearly, this show was made by fans, FOR fans, and it's a shame it didn't go on for longer. But as it stands, this is a pretty decent incarnation of the famous alien robots. If you love the Transformers, give this series a shot. I guarantee you'll like it, or at least will smile at all the references strewn about.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
First, to clarify for those who aren’t aware of what this product is, this is the animated series that was released ---, not the 1984 cartoon.
But what you get here is a six (6) disk DVD set with all three complete seasons of this fantastic show.
The show I think, is a lot of fun. It is a very kid friendly show that at the same time doesn’t insult the intelligence of adult fans.
Admittedly (especially for a longtime transformer fan like myself), some aspects are difficult to get used to, most notably the cartoonish look of the show. Other aspects, like the human protagonist (a young girl named Sari), and the fact that the Autobot characters often have to deal with human villians can also get annoying.
But, if you can get over these things, this actually is a very solid transformer series.
It focuses on 5 Autobot characters, who really are just down on their luck, but throughout the series you see them struggle, grow as characters and teammates, and ultimately change the outcome of the Autobot/Decepticon conflict.
There’s a lot of depth put into this show, and a lot of heart. Even though the creators of this show choose to rewrite things, it’s quite clear they did their homework on what’s come before, since they make nods to just about every other transformer incarnation.
Another oddity is that Optimus Prime isn’t the great hero we all are used to, he’s more like a starship captain in charge of a ragtag band of misfits who aren’t really warriors. However, the Decepticon characters are super powerful villains that often need to be outsmarted as opposed to overpowered. This show also brings us one of the best Megatrons’ in cartoon history.
From my understanding, the series was slated for a 4 year run, but was cut short at the end of season 3. However, the finale of season 3 at least has tied up all the major story plot lines, and for the most part gives us a satisfying conclusion.
As for this set, you get all 42 episodes of the series (including the previously unreleased 13 episodes that make up season 3).
The packaging states there are audio commentaries, but I have yet to find any (maybe I missed them).
Sadly, there is no closed captioning option. This set really seems to be a bare basic set.
Closing thoughts:
I think this really is a great set. If you’re looking for a transformers series for kids, I think this one is a winner. If you’re a fan of Transformers or cartoons in general, this might be great if you can get past the aforementioned art style and general kiddyness of this show.
And for already existing fans of this show, this is the series, nothing more, nothing less. But at least you can pick up the show in it’s entirety in one fell swoop (like I did). The price also is decent, although I lucked out and got it on sale here at Amazon for 21.99. The only reasons this set doesn’t get 5 stars is a lack of closed captioning, and there not being much in the way of bonus content.