Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on June 26, 2007
Ah the fantasy of controlling a Transformer and being able to scan new vehicles to transform!

There are a few key parts to the game:

1) The Main Storyline (the main objectives of the game) presents you with a good variety of missions, varied enough in nature to keep our interests up throughout the game. The level of challenges vary (search and destroy, protect, boss levels, etc.) and you do end up having to replay the more difficult missions (I'm only 35% into the game). Overall this is the most important aspect of the game, and I rate it well.

2) In between story missions, you have Freeplay. This is where you are free to explore the landscape and scan various vehicles (and add to your arsenal of vehicles to transform into, from automobiles to helicopters - some are pretty powerful!). One of the most satisfying things for any Transformer fan is in finding new vehicles to scan so you can play around with it (including school buses!) Of course, it does get a bit boring if you stay too long, so I tend to continue with storyline missions once I get bored. There will be more modes of transport (flying vehicles are most fun!) to scan as the game progresses. Of course, you can also increase your XP points by kicking some enemy butts (as you cruise around, you'll bump into them). XP points contribute to your Level and each Level up often mean you can do more things (like heavy fire, climbing, special moves, etc.)

3) Side Missions - these are optional missions. These are not crucial and do not affect the main storyline missions. These tend to be the boring stuff like moving from checkpoint to checkpoint, destroy as much as you can in 2 minutes, etc. If there's a weak point to the game, this would be it. They could've made the challenge missions more engaging.

All's said and done, this is a very good DS Lite game. The main missions are gets progressively difficult but it's very varied in nature. If you're a Transformers fan, you'd LOVE it. Even if you're not, what better fun than to transform between vehicles and robots!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Unlike the console versions of mega budget feature film video game tie-in, Transformers for the DS has been split into two different games that reflect the warring robot sides. The Autobot version of Transformers for the DS allows you to play as the heroic Optimus Prime and his team of Autobots as they battle the evil Decepticons on Earth. The best thing about Transformers: Autobots and Decepticons respectively is that you will get a different gaming experience out of both versions, even though there are plenty of mirrored core mechanics to be found as well. First off, you'll notice that the robots themselves look great and are nicely rendered as well. Not to mention that scanning other vehicles is a nice touch, and the open world environments (while limited) are nicely done as well. The overall presentation of Transformers: Autobots is great, but what really hurts the game is the assortment of bugs and glitches that you'll come across when playing. The game's camera can also be unforgiving, and the environments are lacking in overall detail. Despite all that though, Transformers: Autobots manages to succeed in the departments it could have easily failed in like so many licensed, movie tie-in video games often do. In that respect alone, Transformers: Autobots, as well as the Decepticons version, are worth checking out for Transformers fans and DS owners alike.
on August 31, 2007
I purchased this gift for my son's birthday and he loved it ... he did comment on the fact it was probably geared towards younger gamers but all in all he enjoyed it. He has been a huge Transformer fan from way back (he's 28 now).
on July 22, 2007
Most "movie-based-games" are lamer than "game-based-movies" but TFA did deliver. I have to admit.

The whole questing to level-up aspect gives the side missions some respect, but it's easier to hunt down enemy bots, or pick just easy missions and keep replaying them.

Pros: You get to transform and kill things...How is this game rated E10+?

How to make it better: FPS/3PS controls
on February 18, 2008
We bought this for our son, because he loves his Nintendo DS, and he loves Transformers. However, he is very confused by the game. As such, he doesn't play it very often. Consider the child's age before selecting this game. We'll keep it, hoping he will "grow into it", but I wouldn't suggest it for a 6-year old.
on June 30, 2007
My 5 year old brother wanted me to write the following, he is telling me what to type right now:

This game is so much fun because i could transform and i could scan other vehicles and i love saving the earth (not literally)
you should buy this game, it is an excellent game for you
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2008
I gave this and also the Kung-fu panda cartridge to my 6 years old son.
And this is the one he choose to play all the time on his DS.....
From my point of view, graphics could be little more elaborated and some steps of the game should come followed by instructions (my son took a while to discover how to scan a car until his 3 years older cousin discover how to do it)....
But since my son is playing this one all the time instead of the other (Kung-fu Panda) I would say that's a good entertainment at least for him....
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
the game was worth the deal. However I could not see myself paying more than that for it. In some areas the game was unresponse. The CPU could get away with things that you cannot. anyone with a little bit of skill can finish the game. I do not let my 5 year old on the wi-fi network so i cannot elaborate on that part of the game.
on April 2, 2008
I got this game when i first bought my DS, and it was ok for a while, but i started to hate the game when i got stuck on a level. I despised the game and thought I would never ever play it ever again.

Yet something about it just kept drawing me back to it, like my life would never feel complete until I had reversed the situation and I had gotten the better of this game.

i eventually passed the level I was stuck on and found myself stuck on a new level soon after. But ya keep getting this compelling urge to keep on playing for some reason.

For a game that is supposed to be for kids, it can be be pretty tricky to complete some of the levels for this game. It's set up with a feeling that at first I thought seemed like Grand Theft Auto.

You start off by landing on earth and you go into training, you learn how to walk, jump, shoot, transform etc... and learn that you get these XP points to increase your stats so you can shoot better, climb walls, shoot while driving etc... and if you eventualy do get to level 20 on the xp thing, you get a slow health re-generator.

Over the game, you are located to 4 stages/levels/places/lands/worlds/cities whatever you like to call them. You start off in Casino Strip, which is a small night time city like Las Vegas where you do your missions, or side missions... side missions are where you gain your XP points in small challenges, they might be destroying trees (zzzzz) catching air time (jumping things as a car) to collecting stuff blah blah blah. There kind of mini games for this that when you complete them it gives you XP points.

The second level is a GTA VC kind of feel, freeways, buildings, grass, construction yards and a bit of Star Wars Rouge Sqaudren thrown in where you have to blow up torretts (ion cannons/blasters/rotating gun things) then there is an ice level int he snow (we all remember that from the movie dont we) and then to the Hoover Damn.

For most of the game you play as a custom Autobot. You start off as just a transformer with no ability to transform into anything, then you are informed you can scan vehicles and choppers etc.. so your Autobot can eventually become about 20 different vehicles you can transform to at anytime during free play mode.

You are started off on a few training missions, then you help bumblebee, and prime and the rest of the autobots along the way.

For some missions you are not the custom autobot, once you reach about the 6th missions, you are in charge of Bumblebee, when he completes his mission, Prime and the other uatobots land on earth, and later you get control of the rest of the Autobots.

Unlike some games where they throw in a few options for the hell of it, you actually will need all the powerups (XP points I was talking about) to complete this game.

It can be a frustrating time to complete some levels, some took me days to figure out what i was doing or work out the strategy to beat it. I was stuck on a level called "Happy Landings" forever, till I gave in and read a FAQ that made it sound simple, tap the shoot button to use heavy bombs, keep your distance, then CLIMB the biulding to take out the next set of guns on roofs.... then I got stuck on "Interference" which is Optimus Prime VS Brawl.... again, the FAQ's make days of trying to figure it out sound so simple when it says, "lock on, run left, keep tapping shoot, and you will not even get hit, then pick up the tanks and smash them over Brawl..... then when you reach the last level it's like "what? I cant even hurt Megatron" then you find out you just jump behind him, kick/punch him, run, do it again about 5 times, knock the all spark out of his hands, pick it up, and hit megatron with it... then you die... thats right, your autobot dies, and you take over as Prime and use everything you have got to defeat Megatron. Just keep looking for a powerup in trees or the bots shooting, and keep shooting and kicking him, eventually you get a lame ending, a message that says, "new things unlocked" and feel disappointed that it is only a cheat for Armegeddon Mode and a new truck you would never use.

There is a cheat menu, but only one cheat can be unlocked "Armegeddon mode" which comes when you complete the game. It is not worth it, it is described as "everything blows up" but it is hardly that. What it is when you shoot a car, or Decepticon or whatever, instead of a little explosion, it becomes a little mushroom bomb looking effect. Hardly worth using.

Other cheats are infinite health, super jump, a grand theft auto sky view called "top down" and something else.... but they are not unlockable unless you play the online multiplayer "All Sparks War" and get something like 2500 wiki tokens or something. You also unlock 5 other vehicles that way, and now can unlock SkyDive (the autobot version of StarScream, a Jet Plane) which when reading the cheats online sounds really cool, but to be honest, the Stealth or Police Chopper in this game are a much better vehicle to use.

Also, when you complete the game, when you got to replay missions etc... you now get the choice of 6 autobots to be, your custom autobot with all the formations you have scanned, and stats better then anyone else if you found them all... and BumbleBee, Optimus Prime, Ratchett, and the others.

But this game is not flawless, I have picked up some pretty annoying cons as well.

I was ready to throw this game in the bin when I got stuck vs Brawl, and decided to go replay some missions to earn XP points, and the game glitched and I could not continue the "interfearence" mission anymore, instead if i went to continue it would start from the Snow levels again and I had to go and do everything all over again to get back to the "interfearence level"... so beware, don't go replaying missions until you have complete the game.

My tip for gaining XP points is when you reach Tranquility, or the GTA VC looking city, there is a sub mission in there called "own the drone" you find it by scanning the map for orange blips, and you will locate this one. All you need to do is start this one, hold the left should button down, and just continuisly fire (tap b).... I recommend this one, because you can complete it in about 22 to 26 seconds, and you may only get like 120 XP for getting gold, but you will notice when you shoot these spider drone looking things, you get about 130 XP points each hit, then as your XP goes up it goes to about 150, so you need to kill about 10-15-20 of these things, and yjust by shooting those things, you gain more XP points then you do for a gold medal received! You dont even have to look at what your doing, just keep rotating around, hold the laser fire down, 22 - 25 seconds later, you've got gold, just keep replaying it over and over again till you have 20 XP points.

One other small con, it would be nice to turn off the radio voices you hear in this game, it becomes annoying when you hear things like, "what is that thing" - "Dispatch, err, whats the code for big giant robot attack" - "fire when ready" ... hearing them repeatedly a million times is annoying, so turn the volume of the DS off and slap some headphones with music on.

The other annoying thing about this game, I mentioned the XP points, they only count for your custom autobot. The other autobots have there own separate stats. Even when you reach MAX XP, only your custom autobot regenerates, none of the others do, I found this out doing some of the last missions and BumbleBee seemed so inferior. He was slow, his blasters where weak, and it would take about 5 seconds to defeat the cops and tanks as your custom Autobot, but it takes BumbleBee a few tries. That was a really annoying thing to put in the game, build yourself up to be a Hare, then have to do a mission as a Turtle.

Overall, this has been one of the most frustrating games I have ever played, I hated it for such a long time, but I have grown attached to it now, it really will challenge you, and I can't see a 6 year old being able to complete this game. It's not impossible to beat, but it can feel like it at times. However, once completed, I don't feel there is any real replay value. And I am not connected to the net with it, so I have never played it multiplayer. That might help, but the game itself is what I am reviewing here.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm not a crazy Transformers fan. As a kid I grew up watching them occasionally. I did like the movie and the Wii game so I decided to add to my DS collection. Since the game was released prior to the movie, it varies from the storyline slightly. (Which is fine because sometimes you think you know what's coming and you're way off.) The gameplay is pretty fun and I like being able to scan vehicles, which you can transform back into anytime during the game (except for some missions). BIG PROBLEM: In each version there is a jet that you see but cannot scan. There is a jet transformation that you can use but it seems impossible to get now. You have to take your DS with your version of Transformers to a DS download station (here's where it gets hard) in a Target that has that same version for download. Once you download the demo with your Autobots game in... you have the jet. Problem is: Most DS download stations only have newer games. This game is not new.
There is a POSSIBLE solutions for those of you who have a Wii. On the Nintendo Channel you can download demos for your DS. If they were to release Transformers demos to the Nintendo Channel then simply download from there. I don't think that is very likely though.
My final suggestion: get the game, enjoy it, and get really good at using the stealth helicopter transformation because you're not getting the jet.