4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but falls short as the first one did.
Published on September 19, 2012 by Jason M. Hendon

3.0 out of 5 stars fun but disappointing sequel.
Recommended to transformers fans only. The escalation mode is a little disappointing and the lack of story mode co-op may prevent this title from reaching the heights of the original but it is still a fun game in it's own right.
Published 4 months ago by robert

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but falls short as the first one did., September 19, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This game takes place after the first one, and tries to fix some of the issues presented by that game. While it does a fair job with some of them, others are still present. The story is enjoyable, but nothing amazing. And the new approach to level design really did not add much in my opinion. We no longer pick from 3 bots per mission, but are assigned one that is relevant to the story at that point. The level is then designed around a special ability that bot has such as stealth cloak or grapple hook. This is a good idea in theory, but it really was under utilized in the final product. They also decided to create 1 story line instead of 2 in this game. Unlike the first you do not pick to play as autobot or decepticons, but are given story that contains both. The idea was that you would not feel the levels were similar by playing 2 tutorials, 2 end bosses, and so on. However that turns out to be pretty much the case. You will play a stealth level as both sides, you will play a level as a big melee focused brute from both sides. You will play a level as a over powered leader from both sides. While Megatron does feel different from Prime, and the levels have different objectives, they do just feel similar overall to me.

Another issue is performance, mainly the visuals. Compared to the 360 the ps3 game just looks awful. I was amazed at how big of a difference there is. That is not to say the ps3 game looks horrible, just after playing both on the same tv the difference was overly noticeable.

The game is fun, and plays pretty similar to the first one in the series. It has the same loose shooting mechanics, and levels play out similar. If you are not a big transformers fan you may not find this game worth the 60$ price tag though. There are many better shooters, and the multi-player is done much better in other games as well. It has multiple dlc packs out, all are on disc content and cost 10$ and are simply new skins for multi-player.

The game has a enjoyable story, decent mechanics, and big bots blowing stuff up is always a good time. If you are a transformers fan pick it up, if not wait for a price drop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game!, August 21, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I love the game, it's much better than the first one. And that's saying quite a lot. Playing as the dinobots is more than gratifying. However, I didn't receive my Bruticus (G2) pre-order bonus (I usually get the bonuses emailed to me before the game even arrives at my house). I contacted Amazon to check in on it. And all they have to tell me is, "We cannot verify that we offered a pre-order bonus for this game". I'll update this in a few days. But it's looking like I got the ol' bait & switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Successor to War for Cybertron, August 28, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you loved War For Cybertron, you will love this one even more. Everything about this game is better than the first. You get better graphics, better gameplay, and the story is just awesome. It's a short game and I completed it on normal in about 6-7 hours. Some people miss the co-op campaign but I think it was removed for the better. Each character now has a special set of challenges that wouldn't have been possible with co-op. You really do get more diverse gameplay.

The multi-player mode is vastly improved and all the maps are fun. They are not too big but big enough to offer a challenging landscape. With endless customization everyone can have their own unique look. High Moon is going to release a lot of DLC for characters so save up some money if you are into that sort of thing.

The only thing I would say is a downgrade is Escalation. My friend and I loved to play that horde mode and we could play for hours. The new escalation mode is limited to 15 waves, and we beat all those maps the first time we played. The AI is a lot smarter, and now they don't bum rush, but instead they hide behind walls and shoot, or snipe you from a distance. it's definitely a lot harder, and if you play it on hard, it is a challenge. You can now upgrade your weapons and the whole team receives the upgrades, but the level 4 upgrade costs 10,000 points. You can't even get that many points to level up to Lvl 4 until wave 13 of 15. I really hope they unlock the horde mode to unlimited waves.

All in all, this is an awesome game and High Moon did the TF community proud. It's got special touches that many older fans will appreciate. I highly recommend this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Transformers game yet!, August 16, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I absolutely loved Transformers: War for Cybertron (see my review). Despite its flaws, the game did a pitch perfect job of capturing that Generation 1 magic while creating a very competent game that gave Transformers fans their first worthy G1 experience in a long, long time. Developer High Moon Studios has returned to conclude the story of the Transformers' exodus from Cybertron with this title, another fantastic effort that really steps it up and delivers a stronger, more well-rounded experience than the first game.

One of the main faults of the first game was that there was a certain degree of monotony that permeated the gameplay experience. Despite the different characters you played as, they generally played the same and felt the same. With Fall of Cybertron, this is no longer the case. Thanks to certain characters' abilities (cloaking, grappling hooks, controlling artillery bombardments, etc.), each section of the game feels distinct and fresh from the previous one, and the superior level design is structured to enhance this quality. You'll be able to transform into Bruticus as the Combaticons, go on a rampage in Grimlock's dinosaur mode, and destroy starship weapon systems with Jetfire. Not only is the actual level design very diverse, but they are also aesthetically unique from one another as well, a welcome characteristic after War for Cybertron's somewhat monochromatic color palette. The vehicle sections, while still not feeling quite right, are an improvement. Thankfully, Fall of Cybertron includes a an upgrade system for both weapons and character specs, making much better use of those credits that drop everywhere. And lastly, the storytelling is kicked up a notch, feeling much more urgent, dramatic, and climactic than the first game did. The ending is stunning and one of the best treatments of Transformers lore that has ever been seen in any medium.

Like the best sequels, High Moon has kept everything that made the first game so good and improved on everything, creating an overall superior game. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron looks and sounds fantastic, and the great voice cast from the first game has returned, giving the game the authentic feel of a true Generation 1 experience. Both games should be considered essential to Generation 1 Transformers fans, but Fall of Cybertron is the superior game, and not only demonstrates High Moon's improving technical prowess, but also their fantastic ability to work with source material they are passionate about. Here's hoping we continue to get more G1 experiences from this talented studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent game, August 10, 2013
Better than the War for Cyberton game, however I liked in the previous game that you can choose 3 different bots in each mission and in this one you can only choose 1 per level...still a very good game and more difficult than its previous...
If you are a transformers fan this is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this game!, May 13, 2013
I don't usually play too many shooter games, but I thoroughly enjoy this game. It might be a tad simple for fps veterans, but for the casual gamer like myself, it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a great game., March 10, 2013
As this is not a review I'll just get to the point. For a transformers fanboy who likes video games, a third person shooter fan or just someone looking for something creative and different away from halo or CoD with great gun play/action-adventure fun with a nice multiplayer ad-on feature and fun action [ multiplayer is great, a leveling system, different classes and so on but dont let this be your reason for purchasing this game as you most likely will be disappointed]. I personally love this game as it had a cool story, nice looking environments, very fun missions and well Optimus Prime! [ Yeah I'm a transformers fan ]. Anyways if you like action or robots, BUY THIS GAME [honestly it doesn't matter to me what you like, I think you should just buy this game, especially if you can get it for $28 dollars like me]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, December 3, 2012
I love Transformers, and I've been a fan since I was a kid in the 80s. Love the lore and this game adds to it. Only thing I wish for the game was for more campaign missions and playing more Grimlock. It upgrades on the previous game in graphics, play style, and story. Not that it was lacking in any of that anyway. If you liked the first one, you will like this one too. I would buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GAME - BE CAREFUL WHICH VERSION YOU BUY, August 25, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is an awesome game for any transformer fan or someone new to the series. I have spent countless hours playing the multiplayer portion of the game and its wicked, fast-paced fun. However, I had the opportunity to play the PS3, XBOX360, and PC versions of this release via HDMI on a newer 60 inch flatscreen. I must inform everyone that the PS3 version suffers from muddy graphics and lack of detail. I don't know what happened in the translation for the PS3 console port but I thought I was playing a downgrade from War for Cybertron. On the other hand, the 360 and PC versions look great with sharp graphics and a definite improvement over War for Cybertron. I personally own the PC version which I got from steam and I was blown away by how vastly different the game looked. Yes, I have a relatively powerful PC but there is no reason for one version to suffer like this since the 360 can dish out good visuals. Everything else is the same...gameplay, sound, etc. I wanted to give you guys a heads-up in case you are concerned with quality. If you have a good PC then get the download. If you have a 360 then go for that version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform and Roll Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D, August 16, 2014
Outstanding game that provides the ultimate immersion into the Transformers world. I have just started playing, but am excited to have already been able to play as Bumblebee and Optimus, and I know that I will get to be some gnarly Decepticons and Grimlock, the Dinobot leader!!! I happen to be a diehard fan, yet even for casual TF fans, this is still a winner.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Playstation 3
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Playstation 3 by Activision Inc. (PlayStation 3)
$49.99 $22.70