Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on August 21, 2012
I love the game, it's much better than the first one. And that's saying quite a lot. Playing as the dinobots is more than gratifying. However, I didn't receive my Bruticus (G2) pre-order bonus (I usually get the bonuses emailed to me before the game even arrives at my house). I contacted Amazon to check in on it. And all they have to tell me is, "We cannot verify that we offered a pre-order bonus for this game". I'll update this in a few days. But it's looking like I got the ol' bait & switch.
1414 comments18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2012
This game takes place after the first one, and tries to fix some of the issues presented by that game. While it does a fair job with some of them, others are still present. The story is enjoyable, but nothing amazing. And the new approach to level design really did not add much in my opinion. We no longer pick from 3 bots per mission, but are assigned one that is relevant to the story at that point. The level is then designed around a special ability that bot has such as stealth cloak or grapple hook. This is a good idea in theory, but it really was under utilized in the final product. They also decided to create 1 story line instead of 2 in this game. Unlike the first you do not pick to play as autobot or decepticons, but are given story that contains both. The idea was that you would not feel the levels were similar by playing 2 tutorials, 2 end bosses, and so on. However that turns out to be pretty much the case. You will play a stealth level as both sides, you will play a level as a big melee focused brute from both sides. You will play a level as a over powered leader from both sides. While Megatron does feel different from Prime, and the levels have different objectives, they do just feel similar overall to me.

Another issue is performance, mainly the visuals. Compared to the 360 the ps3 game just looks awful. I was amazed at how big of a difference there is. That is not to say the ps3 game looks horrible, just after playing both on the same tv the difference was overly noticeable.

The game is fun, and plays pretty similar to the first one in the series. It has the same loose shooting mechanics, and levels play out similar. If you are not a big transformers fan you may not find this game worth the 60$ price tag though. There are many better shooters, and the multi-player is done much better in other games as well. It has multiple dlc packs out, all are on disc content and cost 10$ and are simply new skins for multi-player.

The game has a enjoyable story, decent mechanics, and big bots blowing stuff up is always a good time. If you are a transformers fan pick it up, if not wait for a price drop.
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2013
I absolutely loved Transformers: War for Cybertron (see my review). Despite its flaws, the game did a pitch perfect job of capturing that Generation 1 magic while creating a very competent game that gave Transformers fans their first worthy G1 experience in a long, long time. Developer High Moon Studios has returned to conclude the story of the Transformers' exodus from Cybertron with this title, another fantastic effort that really steps it up and delivers a stronger, more well-rounded experience than the first game.

One of the main faults of the first game was that there was a certain degree of monotony that permeated the gameplay experience. Despite the different characters you played as, they generally played the same and felt the same. With Fall of Cybertron, this is no longer the case. Thanks to certain characters' abilities (cloaking, grappling hooks, controlling artillery bombardments, etc.), each section of the game feels distinct and fresh from the previous one, and the superior level design is structured to enhance this quality. You'll be able to transform into Bruticus as the Combaticons, go on a rampage in Grimlock's dinosaur mode, and destroy starship weapon systems with Jetfire. Not only is the actual level design very diverse, but they are also aesthetically unique from one another as well, a welcome characteristic after War for Cybertron's somewhat monochromatic color palette. The vehicle sections, while still not feeling quite right, are an improvement. Thankfully, Fall of Cybertron includes a an upgrade system for both weapons and character specs, making much better use of those credits that drop everywhere. And lastly, the storytelling is kicked up a notch, feeling much more urgent, dramatic, and climactic than the first game did. The ending is stunning and one of the best treatments of Transformers lore that has ever been seen in any medium.

Like the best sequels, High Moon has kept everything that made the first game so good and improved on everything, creating an overall superior game. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron looks and sounds fantastic, and the great voice cast from the first game has returned, giving the game the authentic feel of a true Generation 1 experience. Both games should be considered essential to Generation 1 Transformers fans, but Fall of Cybertron is the superior game, and not only demonstrates High Moon's improving technical prowess, but also their fantastic ability to work with source material they are passionate about. Here's hoping we continue to get more G1 experiences from this talented studio.
on May 22, 2013
Growing up, I liked Transformers, but I didn't love them (Shogun Warriors were my bag). I could recognize the main Autobots and Decepticons, had a handle on the plot lines, but not the minutiae. The good natured heroes and straightforward morality tales made for edifying entertainment. The recent movies, unfortunately, come across as a rather misguided attempt to be all things to all movie fans, all flash and no substance, rather than being crafted for the dedicated Fanboy.

This game, on the other hand, must be every Fanboy's ultimate dream. In that sense, this game is way more fun, with a much more engaging narrative arc (pun intended?), than any of the movies (or even all 3 combined). Across 13 missions of surprising length and depth, you witness (and participate in) the final days of Cybertron from both sides of the conflict. Unlike so many shooters (and I have played many, going all the way back to the original Doom), I found myself developing emotional bonds with the characters -- most notably the mind-bogglingly immense Metroplex. To avoid an all-out spoiler, I'll just leave it at that.

Both the graphics and the sound quality are top-notch, in perfect keeping with the Transformers ethos. I have to confess I get a surprising charge out of just transforming from robot to vehicle form, and back again (particularly with the flying characters). Kudos, programmers, you just nailed it.

Fall of Cybertron also features some pretty good multiplier action, with several mission styles and strong incentives to level up each of the types/sizes. My only gripe -- common to most multiplayer shooters, alas -- would be that long-time players can (and do) relentlessly grief newbies with their numerous upgrades.

For the next Transformers game, I would suggest body location damage (torso, head, left/right arms & legs), with corresponding impacts to battle efficacy. If the old old MechWarrior 2 PC franchise could pull it off, surely PS3 can. The world is slightly interactive, but it could be more so, with greater clarity as to what can or cannot be used/manipulated/destroyed.

I would also compare this game very favorably to Bioshock: Infinite, which was much more hyped, but much weaker overall. If you are looking for a rompin' good shooter, with tremendous mission variety, a plot with twists and turns, and long-term replay value, look no further than Fall of Cybertron.
on May 13, 2013
I don't usually play too many shooter games, but I thoroughly enjoy this game. It might be a tad simple for fps veterans, but for the casual gamer like myself, it's great.
on March 10, 2013
As this is not a review I'll just get to the point. For a transformers fanboy who likes video games, a third person shooter fan or just someone looking for something creative and different away from halo or CoD with great gun play/action-adventure fun with a nice multiplayer ad-on feature and fun action [ multiplayer is great, a leveling system, different classes and so on but dont let this be your reason for purchasing this game as you most likely will be disappointed]. I personally love this game as it had a cool story, nice looking environments, very fun missions and well Optimus Prime! [ Yeah I'm a transformers fan ]. Anyways if you like action or robots, BUY THIS GAME [honestly it doesn't matter to me what you like, I think you should just buy this game, especially if you can get it for $28 dollars like me]
on August 25, 2012
This is an awesome game for any transformer fan or someone new to the series. I have spent countless hours playing the multiplayer portion of the game and its wicked, fast-paced fun. However, I had the opportunity to play the PS3, XBOX360, and PC versions of this release via HDMI on a newer 60 inch flatscreen. I must inform everyone that the PS3 version suffers from muddy graphics and lack of detail. I don't know what happened in the translation for the PS3 console port but I thought I was playing a downgrade from War for Cybertron. On the other hand, the 360 and PC versions look great with sharp graphics and a definite improvement over War for Cybertron. I personally own the PC version which I got from steam and I was blown away by how vastly different the game looked. Yes, I have a relatively powerful PC but there is no reason for one version to suffer like this since the 360 can dish out good visuals. Everything else is the same...gameplay, sound, etc. I wanted to give you guys a heads-up in case you are concerned with quality. If you have a good PC then get the download. If you have a 360 then go for that version.
55 comments15 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
I love Transformers, and I've been a fan since I was a kid in the 80s. Love the lore and this game adds to it. Only thing I wish for the game was for more campaign missions and playing more Grimlock. It upgrades on the previous game in graphics, play style, and story. Not that it was lacking in any of that anyway. If you liked the first one, you will like this one too. I would buy again.
on August 10, 2013
Better than the War for Cyberton game, however I liked in the previous game that you can choose 3 different bots in each mission and in this one you can only choose 1 per level...still a very good game and more difficult than its previous...
If you are a transformers fan this is a must have.
on April 3, 2013
This is great entertainment, quite fun (once you get used to the controls), but as an FPS may disappoint (I'll explain shortly). The high point for me are the amazing design and production values, with great variety in locations, gameplay, story, characters, lighting, etc.

Each character feels distinct, with its own personality, strengths and weaknesses. They did NOT phone this stuff in. Good voice acting, too. Each time I play, I find many new details that they took the time to design, draw, paint, animate, etc., and the overall feeling is that they took great care in crafting every detail, potentially to create a fantastic game.

Unfortunately, they apparently had no gas left for level design. Or, perhaps they could only put a huge amount of details into the levels precisely because they limited the level design?

Actually, the levels are clever in many places, and the mission styles and formats offer an interesting variety. But it could have been so much more. Each level is designed around the special abilities of the single transformer you get to play as you go through that mission. While it works, it feels rather forced. Each level is linear as well.

The bottom line is that it's a solid Transformers entertainment experience (which made me go WOW several times), but probably not a good enough game for non-Transformers fans to buy at full price. It has fantastic production values (although, as some others have said, the PS3 version's graphics are relatively lower), but in the end is held back by being too linear.

They put so much effort into making a good story, they wound up just making a game-engine-generated animated movie. I felt more like an observer than a game player. Oh, I really did have fun. But I doubt replay will be high.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse