4.0 out of 5 stars Bruticus rocks
Published 19 months ago by eddy_b

3.0 out of 5 stars A big step in the right direction
Published 19 months ago by John B. Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars A big step in the right direction, December 18, 2012
This review is from: Transformers Generation 2 Decepticon Bruticus Combiner Set (Toy)
Some of my favorite Transformers have been the combiners (Devastator(G1), Superion Maximus, Bruticus maximus to name a few) but there have always been a problem with them. The biggest, especially with all the G1 combiners, was the fact that you needed accessories to complete the combination. Accessories that had no other purpose in any other mode. Then the "maximus" versions finally had those accessories useable in the other forms (though they made poor hands and feet for the combined mode - as well as odd looking accessories for the individuals - but still they were usable in all modes).
So now we finally get one has decent - built in hands and accessories that look decent on all modes!
Also - a big plus for me, is the the connecting joints are much more secure than pervious combiners - even the "maximus" ones.
And finally the last big plus for me is that all the individual robots are the same size with each other. That is something that always drove me crazy in every other combiner (except Devastator). One really big robot and four really small ones. I love the fact that they are all the same size.

Unfortunatel, there are some problems as well.
For instance:
- Onslaught's vechicle mode is underwhelming and does not hold together well (at least mine does not).
- The arms seem a bit "gangly".
- the completely combined gun gives him a lopsided look.
- the figures feel a little lightweight - even for the new "Fall of Cybertron" figures.

Now that they have the basic process down, I think they just need to refine it with (hopefully) future combiners.

Overall, the pluses outweigh the negatives and this, for the most part, is a 4 star Transformer.
So why only 3 stars?
The color.
The G2 colors are certainly better that the neon-like coloring of the individually packages combaticons, but it is nowhere near as good as the official "Fall of Cybertron" version. Unfortunately I can't afford that version. (I wouldn't have been able to afford this version either if I didn't order it last week, when it was $40 cheaper.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst transformer I've seen, but could have been better., November 27, 2012
Overall Bruticus isn't poorly made, but there was definitely room for improvement. As with most of the transformers that have a mode beyond robot and vehicle/animal/whatever one or more of the modes look awkward. Blast-off's head is clearly visible when he forms the arm, Brawl's robot mode feels lanky for a tank, and Onslaught's weapon is meant to cover Bruticus's back and leaves an open space if its used in the "sonic cannon" weapon mode. The individual figures feel a bit light compared to others, but not fragile. The arms make Bruticus top-heavy so posing is a bit difficult, but there are several joints, including a waist joint, so not impossible. The set came with individual instructions for each figure that showed robot to vehicle and back along with appendage to vehicle, but not how to change to appendage mode. While not really deterimental to the figure the appendages are not intercahngible as the original's were since the hands are built into Blast-off and Vortex.
I wouldn't recommend Bruticus for a casual buyer, but its a nice part of a giant combining robot collection.

*Edit* Both Brawl and Swindle also have built in hands so they can form the arms, but I haven't been able to find a way to transform Brawl in a way that is not awkward nor was I able to find a way to make Blast-off and Vortex the same height so they could form the legs without it being unstable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bruticus rocks, November 27, 2012
Ok this version of Bruticus is a bit on the colourful side but he is considerably better looking in person. I always loved the combaticons and Bruticus and I wanted the SDCC version but I just couldn't afford it. This version is a good second choice, its a good toy at a better price I recommend it. And as a collector Bruticus washed that bad power core combiner taste out of my mouth . . . . . . . .YUK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A G2 Classic remade for this Generation., November 28, 2012
Just got this combiner and immediately I am impressed they packaged it in a G2 box including bio card. Overall this combiner is a major step up from the Power Core Combiners but still not too impressed with Onslaught due to his limited articulation and weird vehicle transformation, but still the other characters and fact they combine are what make the set better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and flimsy, February 14, 2014
I bought this as due to being born in the latter half of the 80's my real first exposure to Transformers was the G2 line which I loved and had most of the original G2 Bruticus and would take Brawl and Swindle with me everywhere.

When they announced a new version based on the FOC Bruticus I thought it'd be awesome to have a homage to it however it is very loose at that and the figures overall.

I managed to recoup the cost when I sold it however I guess making a nostalgia purchase can lead to regret at times.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and over priced, January 10, 2014
Each transformer is small and made from cheap, light plastic. Have already had to super glue a piece back to appease son. Would have sent it back, but he wants it. About a thirty dollar toy...if that much. I can't believe what poor quality this is. Bad. Really bad for us...this is what Santa brought and it was a let down. We've got over 100 transformers, from my husbands childhood collection plus my son collecting them for three years. This is the WORST yet. Rip off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just letting you know what to expect, December 9, 2013
When i opened the amazon box, the box that the actual transformer was in was all torn and banged up. It looked like it had been taken out of the box and put back in and taped all up. I was very disappointed as this is suppose to be a Christmas present from Santa Claus. Just to clarify, the amazon box was very nice. It was the box the actual transformer was in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy, but poor design and construction, October 23, 2013
Bought this for my son... and of course he loves it. Problem is, the design inherently puts a lot of pressure on the key joints, which is made of pretty cheap plastic. Onslaught broke almost immediately, and I had to replace him with a store-bought single. Onslaughts thighs are also pretty flimsy, making Bruticus harder to stand up once combined. Individually, Vortex, Brawl, and Swindle aren't that bad to play with. Paid $50 for it at the time, probably wouldn't pay more than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality control is the big issue, July 30, 2013
A. Brenner (Evansville, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice, but not great update to Bruticus. Somehow the G2 colors are less obnoxious than the standard Generations release. The awesome box is also G2-styled complete with fluorescent inks on black backgrounds. I was also surprised that 5 separate instructions are included which also use the G2 art. All of the Combaticons have the G2 Decepticon symbol instead of the traditional one.

The issue I have is with the quality control. The paint seems fine on all of them, but molded seams are a bit rougher than usual and on mine Brawl was completely missing the pin that folds out the left hand. While it's a part I don't have to use, it's still annoying that this got shipped in this condition.

Individually, these guys aren't as complex as your average deluxe, but compromises had to be made for the combiner mode. Articulation is still good but there are some big gaps or hollow areas on the figures. It's just great to see Hasbro/Takara try to do a deluxe scale combiner. Hopefully there will be another.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ugh..., July 20, 2013
Hasbro, I love you, but STAHP! You need to stop using crap plastic NOW! Your tabs break off at the worst of times, the joints begin to crack, and... I love my Bruticus, and I love the design, but it's made of crap plastic.
Except Vortex. You did pretty good with him strangely...

Rate and Discover Movies