5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!
This introduction to the Transformers universe, as told through a stunning series of pop-up pages, is brilliant.

Published 8 months ago by Peter Chavez IV

Published 5 months ago by T. Mayer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, October 30, 2013

The illustrations by Santalucia are fantastic, expertly blending the Generation One, live-action movie franchise, and Prime styles of Transformers character art into one cohesive and beautiful hybrid. There are little easter eggs hidden in the art as well, with some rather obscure and surprising characters making appearances.

Reinhart's paper engineering is sheer genius. The pop-ups are huge, elaborate affairs that flip and fold from one mode to the next. Each turn of the page reveals another amazing work of art, showcasing characters and motifs that are prevalent in Transformers fiction. Unicron (available in the deluxe hardcover edition) transforms from a planet to a robot, with the end result looking not unlike the poster art for the 1986 animated Transformers film. Other wonderful examples include Omega Supreme, the Combaticons, and the Transformers home planet of Cybertron, which changes into a scene of the Autobots and Decepticons battling on Earth.

This is a breathtaking addition to my collection. Care should be taken if this book is intended as a gift for small hands, as the pop-ups are very intricate. I highly recommend it to paper art fans, and to fans of the Transformers. This book is truly marvelous.

5.0 out of 5 stars OOHHH! AHHHHH! GASP ------ A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!, November 13, 2013
JJH-V (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
This book boggles the mind. The artistry? Glorious! The mechanical operation? INGENIOUS! Buy this for yourself, buy it as a gift for just about anyone. If you are reading reviews to help you make up your mind - stop NOW and get this book! My cleaning lady and I looked through Transformers together today in complete awe. We'd turn a page, be amazed, then operate a pull-tab to perform a transformation so entirely unexpected and amazing that it took the breath away. I don't think I've ever written a review with as much enthusiasm as I'm writing this one. Wish there were some punctuation mark that was more emphatic than an exclamation point!!

One caveat: The pop-ups are so complex and intricate that they should not be handled by any but the most careful and respectful person. This book is a treasure, worth treating tenderly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific gift for Transformers fans, November 12, 2013
MP_NY (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
The engineering wizardry of making PAPER transform cars and planes into robots is just great fun to marvel at. Highly recommended for fans of Transformers from the 1980s. I'm (very carefully) sharing it with my 3 year old son who is yelling "Transform" at the book as he pulls and pushes the tabs. I'll be buying copies for several of my friends to share with their boys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Four Year old thinks it's ok, Two year old obsessed!! Pro-war text., January 24, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
This book is pretty impressive with the tall figures that pop up out of it. I have to give it a 5 star for that, but the text makes me want to throw the book in the trash. For instance, "Our war: inevitable, our home world: devastated...Yes, unyielding resolve has no conqueror, but on the battlefield, might can indeed make right." What? Is this something I want to read my 4 year old? There is also an issue with my 2 year old's constantly yelling "transformers" day and night now. He was even calling for it in his bed at bedtime so it was making it really hard to put him down. I like that he is into the figures and artwork though. I eventually solved this issue by letting him play with it (and rip it apart) for hours at a time. He has finally gotten a little less "obsessed". I'm not a big reviewer but really felt like this could help someone decide whether this book is for their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Transformer Book, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
This is an awesome book with creative pop ups! If you like Transformers or just like pop up books, this is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding paper engineering, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
An outstanding pop-up book. One of the very best of Matthew Reinhart's pop-up books. Very clever pop-up transformations. Great paper engineering and art work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, but I wish there were more pages, January 15, 2014
I love this book!
The engineering that went into the papercraft is just amazing.
I have several of the author's other books, but this one is the most impressive from that standpoint.

One drawback, it is pretty short.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Pop Up, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
This book is great. My son loved it. A matter of fact, the whole family loved it. I couldn't believe the detail on the pop ups. My only concern is some of the big pop ups were hard to pull on and make pop. This lead to a disaster on one of the pop ups. So if you get this go easy on it. They will pop up, just takes some breaking in. The Megatron pop up tank was the toughest to pull. I would have given this book 5 stars if they functioned smoother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful pop ups, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
I purchased these for my 2 sons who grew up with transformer toys. I am sure they will love the memories these books provide.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-have creation for Matthew Reinhart & Transformers fans!, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe (Hardcover)
matthew reinhart outdoes himself with each new creation! this is one of his best creations (i have many of his books).
Transformers is a perfect theme for various pop-up techniques. there are surprises at every corner. totally love this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe by Matthew Reinhart (Hardcover - October 29, 2013)
$37.00 $25.15