1,835
Transformers: Dark of the Moon [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$23.50 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 29, 2012
I was very excited to see this movie available on Amazon Prime, but I was disappointed once I started watching. I really couldn't stand Sam's new model girlfriend. She was so annoying and spends most of the film posing and pouting prettily. I was also confused during a lot of the movie and had trouble figuring out who a lot of the Decepticons were because they seemed very similar. Of course, I must admit that maybe it would have been clearer if I had followed more of the Transformers cartoon. Another big flaw was in the long action sequence involving a glass building. There's foreshadowing when the NASA guy announces that they're going to be taking refuge in a glass building. What could possibly go wrong?
on September 14, 2011
This version is being rushed out at the end of this month. Michael Bay has stated that a Bigger and Better 3D bluray version will be released later, with ALOT more extras than this edition. That version will be release on standard Blu as well, Looks like before the end of this year, just in time for the holidays.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2014
IWhat I don't like the most about the movie is that the Transformers are so metallic that the coloring of the transformers are barely visible except for Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. I like associating the autobots and decepticons with those I remember from my childhood. Because they were so metallic I had trouble recognizing who each of the transformers were in all 3 of the movies. I think that the plot could be more interesting too, and I want the characters developed more.

I most admit that I prefer Megan Fox's character to this new heroine. Casey was okay but I get tired of helpless woman in action movies. Megan Fox could fight with the best of them.

I can only hope the 4th movie in the series has more plot and character development. Also, I would like to be able to recognize the autobots and decepticons in the movie this time.
on June 28, 2011
I went into this movie with lofty expectations. I found the first Transformers film to be a fun-spirited and exciting trip down memory lane. The second movie--despite its obvious flaws--contained some truly awe-inspiring action scenes. Thankfully the third and supposedly final installment proves to be the best film in the franchise; capturing the positives from both its predecessors and then some.

Dark of the Moon has a more serious tone than the first two movies. Beginning with the space race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, the movie sets up an alternate history (akin to X-Men: First Class) that brings a sense of gravity and meaning to the film. As the movie moves from past to present, the audience is greeted by familiar characters--both human and mechanical. To avoid any spoilers I will just state that the story is much more comprehensible than the first sequel's and the plot holes (while there may be a few) are nowhere near as noticeable or aggravating. The stakes are higher this round with the final act playing like an alien invasion movie along the lines of Independence Day or the more recent Battle: L.A., except instead of a wise-cracking Will Smith or a melancholic Aaron Eckhart fighting off the invaders we get a bad-ass Optimus Prime. The Autobot leader's character development is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the franchise. The events of Dark of the Moon cause Optimus to move away from the Superman-esque leader of the original film and into the realm of a vengeful anti-hero. Think the Punisher in the form of a giant robot. The human cast is serviceable. Shia LeBeauf's comedic chops are still amusing, while John Malkovich and (especially) Alan Tudyk provide further comic relief. Megan Fox's much discussed replacement Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is nowhere near as bad as everyone (myself included) expected her to be. Her true acting abilities are still somewhat a mystery since half the time she is talking the camera is still mysteriously focused on her rear.

As always, the biggest draw in this type of movie is the action. Dark of the Moon delivers in droves. Say what you will about director Michael Bay; the man is capable of crafting some of the most exciting and inventive action scenes in modern cinema. Thankfully, unlike some recent releases (I'm talking to you Green Lantern), this is one movie that leaves some of the best material out of its trailers and TV spots. A chase between Bumblebee and his cohorts and three very animalistic Decepticons on the interstate towards the end of the first act is a jaw-dropping spectacle.

If this movie is as critically derided as was Revenge of the Fallen, then I am truly convinced critics just love to hate on Michael Bay. Why they can suspend disbelief for similar fare such as Thor (which was good) or Iron Man 2 (which was a moderately enjoyable mess) while bludgeoning Transformers is lost on me. Dark of the Moon is an excellent summer blockbuster anchored on several truly exciting action scenes. Those looking for a sci-fi cinematic pallet cleanser to rid themselves of the disappointing and tepid taste of Green Lantern should check out Transformers: Dark of the Moon without hesitation.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had avoided these movies on general principle. It was included with prime so I thought "What the heck?"
I'm too old to have played with the toys and hadn't seen the previous movies. Maybe they explained the unique characteristics of this universe before. The lack of any logic made up or otherwise made it so I couldn't buy into anything that happened. Even the love interest part made no sense. The girl was pretty but not super pretty and kind of an idiot. The guy was handsome but still a lame loser. Even if he did have a special rapport with the machine being things that was no reason to suddenly give him a leadership position.
That all said, the action and CGI was fun to watch.
on October 8, 2013
Transformers has seemed to have transformed from a genre aimed at children to adults or pseudo adults. It was hard for the fourteen year old to watch for the fact of the strong language and sexual content. So, if you tire of listening to the f-bomb you might just want to utilize the "MUTE" option.

I think that it was unfortunate that the producers felt they need to rely on elevating the rating level with this content to sell the product.

Otherwise, the FX is outstanding as in previous, and the main storyline stands with the ideals of Transformers.
on January 1, 2013
Just when I thought it couldn't get much worse than Revenge of the Fallen...I watch Dark of the Moon. The cheesey (and canned) music score. The overused panning camera shots with a low sun hanging just over the horizon. The also overused helicopter shots. The nonsensical and unending action sequences that leave anyone with a modicum of logic scratching their head in bewilderment (and mild disgust). The inept plot. Shia LaBeouf screaming and overacting. Hot model running around death and destruction in high heels. The endless stream of former A list actors showing up. Etc.

This movie is another train wreck. Thank god I streamed it using Prime and didn't pay for it in the theater or on DVD.

Ugh.
on September 2, 2013
I'm kinda on the fence about this movie. I liked the first two movies, but this one kinda fell short. I guess if Megan had stayed on for this movie, it would probably be better...the character of Carly just didn't work for me. Everything else was good, though. Good action and music. I just wished the volume had stayed constant the whole time...I viewed it through my xbox 360 and I was constantly turning up and down the volume in order to find the "happy medium".
on August 30, 2013
This one definitely did not live up to expectations. The previous movies were much better. The interaction between Sam and the Autobots just seemed stunted and there was a serious lack of dialogue with them.

Not really sure what was going with Sam and his new GF. No real back story or history as to what happened to Mikaela. Just seemed to be thrown in there to make up for the lack of the actress I guess.

Overall, Not impressed.
on September 16, 2012
This movie is terrible. It is the kind of movie that you could dissect frame by frame and explain why literally EVERYTHING that is happening is stupid. Everything. There is nothing redeeming about this film. There is nothing memorable about this film. There is nothing original, creative, or imaginative about this film. Watching this film is like being chocked to death by having roadkill jammed down your throat.

Join me my friends on a journey of explanation - together we will walk the yellow brick road of why this film sucks.

The plot makes no sense. None. A ship escapes Cybertron during the last days of the war between the Autobots and Decepticons. The ship is caring some "Prime" guy and a technological wonder - some sort of teleportation machine. Apparently the Prime guy is a tech wiz and he is the only one that can make this teleportation apparatus work... and it is special because it could have "ended the war." How? Who knows. Nevermind.

Well, the ship gets damaged and miraculously crosses half the known universe to crash on the dark side of the Moon. Apparently, the Decepticons discover the ship at some point and they take most of the columns that make up the teleportation device. However, they leave the Prime and 4 of the columns - because Prime is the only one that can operate the machine and they are going to trick the Autobots many years in the future into traveling to the moon to find the ship, and the Prime, bring him back to Earth with the 4 remaining columns, and use the Matirx to reactive him (because the Matrix is the only way to do it), then Prime will betray the Autobots and work with Megatron to reactivate the teleportation machine to "bring" Cybertron into Earth space for some reason that would actually make a difference but we really aren't sure of.

Got all that?

Hey Moondonkey? You ask. How are the Autbots going to learn about the ship on the moon?

Weeeelllllllll... for some reason the Autobots are going to attack an underground Russian installation and find a piece of the ship. Except that the Decepticons will also have a big worm-like robot there fighting to get the piece of the ship as well (sort of like a metal sandworm from Dune). The Autobots need to defeat the worm in order to find the ship part so that they can discover the existence of the ship so that they can rescue Prime so that that can reactivate Prime so that Prime can betray the Autobots so that Prime can activate the teleportation machine so that a bunch of Decepticons can jump into Earth space (from where?) so that the decepticons can take over a big city (I forget which one it was) so that they can activate the machine from the top of a sky scraper so that they can teleport Cybertron into Earth space.

Again - got all that.

Soooo... what if the Decepticon worm had "won" and gotten away with the spacechip part? What then? Then the Autobots wouldn't realize the ship was on the moon and the Decepticon plot to activate the machine would fail. Ok... So why the F is a damn Decepticon worm fighting the Autobots for the ship part? Huh? Why not just let the Autobots find the damn thing? What sense does this make?

And this is just one example of how stupid this movie is.

Another brief example:
Skip back for a minute - recall how the Autobots went to the moon to find the ship. They used a spaceship, right? Later in the movie the Autobots get kicked off of Earth by the humans and they have to rig up a spaceship using shuttle parts because they don't have a ship capable of space travel. Uhhhh... wait a minute, then what the heck did they use to travel to the moon in the first place? Why doesn't that ship work?

Another example:
When the Decepticons take over the city, where do the giant Decepticon ships come from? There are these giant alien Decepticon ships flying around. Where did they come from? When the Prime opens the teleportation gate for the first time, a FEW Decepticons slip through. Ok, fine. But there sure as heck weren't any giant Decepticon ships that came through the gate. The next thing we know there is some sort of Decepticon space navy flying around.

Unfortunately, I can't go into every detail of how this movie sucks because it would probably take 20 pages. I'm serious. You can dissect every single scene in this film and explain how and why it is stupid. Every scene.

Oh - final point. Who is the moron that came up with the idea of making some of the autobots into stupid little comedy relief robots? Any why would some robots have "old" looking robot hair like balding old men? S...T...U...P...I...D.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations