Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg

on February 18, 2013
I got this transleeve and keyboard when I picked up the Vivo Tab Smart and am tapping out this review on it now. I made it a point to get this accessory because I abhor virtual keyboards with a passion, and my experiences with an iPad and Logitech KB tell me this is the way to go despite a little more added weight.

Overall this combo is pretty decent. The keyboard has a metal frame, with chicklet keys laid out well with enough room between keys to be comfortable and not too cramped. Bluetooth pairing went well and was very straightforward, and it comes with a little micro USB to USB charge cable. I just charged it overnight using the tablet's charger and it's been working fine for the past week+. It has a little LED in the upper right corner to warn you when the charge level is going low. So, anyway, the keyboard is well executed except for the following items which I'm still getting used to:

* The Delete key *is* in the upper right corner where most Delete keys are, but it's kind of small and more often than not I'm actually trying to hit the Backspace key, so I'll be tapping what I think is the Backspace key, but actually tapping the Delete key instead. So like I said, I'm still trying to get used to that...

* The touchpad is not very impressive, and actually prompted me to send a note to ASUS tech support to see if there was anything can be done to improve its performance. What happens is that the cursor movement is not smooth; sometimes it moves like you think it would, but then it'll stop for a second or two and then it'll snap clear across the screen where It would have ended up if it didn't have that little hitch. It's almost like the processor is running some program in the background and delays the cursor's motion. The thing is, with a USB mouse connected, this jerkiness does not happen....

Once you're done using the KB, you just lay it on the felt side of the sleeve and since it's metal it just sticks to the magnetized backing. Very secure, very slick. It doesn't do anything to protect the back of the tablet, but it does present the Vivo Tab Smart as a very useful WIndows-based tool for personal and work usage.
on February 22, 2013
I hoped the sleeve and keyboard make this close to the "Clover Trail Microsoft Surface", and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. In short they simply don't work as elegantly as either cover of Surface's. Although they eventually serve the purpose, from time to time it can be a little awkward.

First the TranSleeve. Yes, it's a cover which you can fold it into a stand for the tablet. It's attached to the tab by a magnet, and there is another magnet in the sleeve to help hold the folded shape as the stand. So what's the problem? The magnet holding it to the tab is rather loose, so it detaches from the tablet rather easily. Also the connection between the holding magnet and the sleeve doesn't give you those high quality feeling. Perhaps it's necessary to have that piece of plastic there, since the sleeve does close properly with or without the keyboard (or the TransBoard) sandwiched there.

Other than the touch, another issue I have is folding it into the stand. While there is only one configuration the folding will allow the magnets to hold it in the folded state, unfortunately there are multiple ways to fold it, and it might take couple tries for you to find the correct way to fold it. Not that it's difficult, but it "can" be annoying when it doesn't fold into the right way by itself the first time. Once it's folded, it holds your tab fairly well. I would say it's not as robust as the kickstand on Surfaces, but it's quite decent. Here comes one aspect it beats the kickstand on Surface: it provides you two different angles to hold your tab. In the regular angle, the tab stands like a typical PC monitor (or a Surface). The other angles it lays lower, you need to turn the tab upside down (so the Windows button is on the top and webcam on the bottom), but since the screen rotates too so it's not a huge deal. For using it on your laps, I personally find the regular angle close to impossible, but the up-side-down angle is not a bad choice.

I personally found more design issues with the TransBoard. First of all you need to charge it, which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, the charging port is at the top of the board, which makes it impossible to charge it when sandwiched between the sleeve and the tab. My guess is you're supposed to charge it as a stand alone item, not altogether with the tab. The set-up is another minor annoyance. ASUS provides very limited instructions on how to set it up, and it's not all automatic, that you do need to add a Bluetooth keyboard. I don't know whether it's limited by Windows 8, when the keyboard is paired and I touch a field for text input, the on screen keyboard still shows first, and it disappears only after I start to key in on the keyboard. I hope this can be fixed, as Surface when a cover is attached.

The keyboard itself is not bad. It's little tight, and the shift on the right is a bit too small for me, and I often mistakenly hit the right ctrl instead of left arrow, but in general it's not bad. The typing feeling is very similar to that of a Type Cover. I personally think the trackpad is actually a little better than those Surface's covers, at least the Touch Cover. Another problem is, when the board is sandwiched between the sleeve and tab, the total assembly feels kind of thick.

Overall the TranSleeve and TransBoard do work, but they don't work "very well", compared with the tab itself. I think t's a bit unfortunate since VivoTab Smart is a terrific Clover Trail tablet, and I'm afraid the sleeve and board don't match the great work of the tab.
on April 28, 2013
The Transleeve and keyboard combo is a must have companion set for the VivoTab Smart. I was nervous about purchasing this kit due to the negative reviews but my experience has been roundly positive. The VivoTab Smart is a great tablet but the Transleeve and keyboard take it to the next level.

The Transleeve is a cover that transforms into a stand. It attaches to the VivoTab Smart with very strong magnets. I feel like the screen is protected from scuffs and scratches when the Transleve is on. The Transleeve can stand the tablet in two positions: upright, or and a slight angle. When upright the tablet is oriented like a laptop screen and is great for watching video or using the hardware keyboard. When laid flatter it makes it very easy to type on the virtual keyboard and use the tablet on a flat surface. The Transleeve is attractive and feels high quality. It holds the VivoTab very securely; you can tap the tablet screen when it is upright without knocking it over. I had an iPad with a SmartCover before I got my VivoTab and the Transleeve holds the VivoTab at better angles and feels more secure than the smart cover.

The Bluetooth keyboard is very slim and solid. It is great to type on but it takes a little but of getting used to because it isn't 100% full sized. The initial pairing was a little unclear due to the poor directions, but after that it works pretty much automatically whenever you want to use it. The keyboard can attach to the Transleeve with magnets which makes it easy to carry around. The Transleeve + keyboard combo isn't quite as elegant as the Touchcover for the Surface, but it is much better than any iPad keyboard case I ever used and it gives you the flexibility to only bring the keyboard when you know you'll need it. The keyboard has a mouse trackpad on it that is useful but can be inaccurate at times. It is useful, but with a touchscreen in front of you I find I reach for it infrequently. Having a keyboard is especially great on Windows 8 because the OS is very keyboard friendly with keyboard shortcuts for everything, so it is a real productivity booster.

I heartily recommend getting this kit if you have a VivoTab Smart. It takes an already great tablet and makes it into a great device for both work and play.
on February 28, 2013
***Revising...this keyboard doesn't function well, doesn't warn you when battery is low, doesn't indicate if charging for all but 2 seconds, once dead, doesn't charge well, doesn't indicate when charged, doesn't work while charging, no food troubleshooting avail. Tried tech support and spent 20 min. Just answering their generic questions, got frustrated and hung up.

This set is pretty good. Kind of awkward. It took me a bit to figure the keyboard out. You'd think it would be simple but the on off button didn't seem to work, charged it. The charging cable is like 12 inches. The charging light was only on for about 1-2 hrs before it went off. Then i tried to turn it on. It would flash then go off. You have to hold it down till the light comes on but it doesn't say that in the directions. Finally came on. Paired easily with the tablet. Connects flawlessly. Considering it is only as wide as the tablet. It works well and is not too cramped. The keys work great. I am using it now on my lap. Most say not suitable for your lap but the transleeve hasn't slipped once and it's quite secure. Now onto the transleeve. The magnetic hold is not very strong so don't think that it's secure enough to keep your tablet from falling. Someone mentioned it not being very intuitive when folding up as a stand. I don't know, I figured it out in 2 seconds, it can only fold 2 ways. What both the tablet and the transleeve really need are magnets on the 2 two top corners as well. While the transleeve is opened up and being used to cover your tablet screen, it does not stay closed because it is not magnetized to the top part of the tablet as well, so it flops around. Using it as a stand makes it worse because after being folded, it wants to stay folded and the two top corners stick up like a bad hair day! I just do not get why they didn't go the extra mile. It doesn't completely serve its purpose so it's a let down. The smart cover for the ipad folds nicely down over the screen and sticks firmly to the entire tablet with magnets. I'm annoyed that when I purchased it a week and a half ago, it was $117, now it's on Amazon for $98.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2013
The keyboard is very comfortable and a pleasure to use. It feels like I am using a slim laptop keyboard. The Transleeve I could have done without. The magnets on that connect it to the tablet are not that strong, and in my opinion the only real purpose that it serves is to hold the tablet up when it is folded (this is not hard to do, unlike the many reviews that say it is). It is flimsy, and not very good at protecting the tablet. In addition, unlike the Surface and Transformer lines, the keyboard can't be attached to the tablet, so using on your lap like a laptop requires a flat surface. All in all, the set up is unique, but there are better covers available, and the combo is a tad overpriced.

The transleeve is garbage. My tablet fell from my side table onto the carpet with the transleeve on it and the screen was still damaged. I have no idea what the purpose of this product is for. Find another cover that will offer protection or purchase the squaretrade warranty. The keyboard is still good, I would give it four stars. I would recommend purchasing the keyboard separately, however, I don't believe you can purchase them separately.
on May 13, 2013
I liked this product until it stopped recharging. The battery went dead, and I had a hard time getting it to take a charge again. (the orange charge light would come on for about a minute, and turn off as if it stopped receiving charge)

It finally decided to recharge, and it worked well until the battery died again. Now it won't take a charge again and is now worthless. I have tried looking up info to see if other people are having this problem as well, but I haven't found anything.

If I am doing something wrong, I would gladly improve my rating. If anyone has any advise, I'll gladly give it a shot.
on April 7, 2014
Although the Asus keyboard works with its tablet, I was under the impression that you could combine the 3 items: keyboard, cover/stand, and tablet into 1 package that would function much like a clam-shell laptop. You can't. It seems the cover/stand can be used with either the keyboard or the tablet, but not with both simultaneously. Perhaps that is why you can't find a picture of the 3 items connected together anywhere on the net :-)
on December 24, 2013
I haven't used it yet, so cannot rate the performance. So far I haven't been able to find out about the charging time or
now to get the keyboard to work with the tablet. The instructions tell about the product but not the operation of it,
for which I am disappointed. Maybe I can figure it out, if not......we'll see what happens.
on October 3, 2013
I like it but I wish the magnet that keeps it attached was stronger as it comes off a little too easily
on September 17, 2013
I liked the keyboard. Keys were where they're supposed to be and not so cramped together, but the cover is a piece of junk! It wouldn't stay in place. There's nothing to keep the tablet, keyboard, and cover together and in one place. It was impossible to use the keyboard on your lap because you can't balance everything and still type. If you only want to use the keyboard at home or office and not on your lap outside, in the car, or in your lounge chair, it's good. But if you want to carry and use it everywhere, forget it. I returned it after a week or so.