5.0 out of 5 stars Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting
Excellent... Gives you all of the elements to build on for breaking 100. Very detailed, explains how things work and why. I have improved my score at least 25% by following his suggestions. You must practice - he tells you what to do and how. Keep it with you at the range so you can use it as a reference when misses occur...

You should read his other book...
Published on February 20, 2007 by Fiddybobo

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware.
Published on August 6, 2001 by Rob Tillman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware., August 6, 2001
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
While this book offers many sound trapshooting points, they come amidst a sea of personal opinion, Christian evangelizing, and the marketing of other books. This book is self-published and begs for professional editing. There are countless glowing spelling and grammatical errors. If one were to eliminate the redundancy and material not related to the subject, this rather expensive book would barely reach 100 pages. And, as if the contents were all his original ideas, he offers no bibliographic reference for any of the opinions, facts, or conclusions, even though many are contrary to conventional trapshooting wisdom and instruction. While Russell is quick to point out that the book is only useful if kept constantly on hand during practice and competition, he also sells it as an e-book that cannot be printed. All things considered, I have to seriously question the accuracy of the material and the validity of Mr. Russell's opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting, February 20, 2007
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)

You should read his other book first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Trapshooting, August 15, 2006
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting, the companion piece to James Russell's Trapshooting Secrets. Another must read work for trap shooters of all levels of ability. The practical information, illustrations and practice tips in this volume will certainly raise your shooting ability to the next level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Information, rough draft writing, June 20, 2009
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
I am what I refer to as an average shooter. I had typically shot very consistently in the 18-22 range for a few years. I am now on my 6th season trap shooting. I had shot sporting clays exclusively for the 5 or 6 years before that. So, trap was a new experience. I think it took my 3 years to finally break a 25 straight. Last year, I bought a new Citori XT with the hopes of increasing my scores. My average crept up a little, but the gun wasn't the big problem. The gun fit was much better and gave me the platform with which to hit higher scores, but the scores weren't changing. I bought both of James' books about two weeks after buying the gun and read them like I read any text book...I searched for what I thought was important information and read that. I did not and still have not read either book cover-to-cover, but I still refer to many sections as a refresher.

About 3 years ago, I started shooting some of the local ATA events and would usually shoot singles in the high 80's and handicap in the low to mid 80's. After buying the XT and applying some of the techniques I read in the books, my scores started getting higher. Up until last year, I had only shot 25 straight a total of 3 times. After getting the gun and using the info in the books to fugure out how to shoot it, I shot 25 straight 8 times in the last half of the season. I now know exactly what I do wrong on 99% of my misses and I have started out great this season as well. I have shot 25 straight 2 times this year already and have shot a lot of 24's. I shot a 95x100 at the ATA zone shoot and barely missed the shoot-off #2 birds#. Some may claim that it just took me some time to get used to the gun. Well, that's true, but I changed enough about my technique as well and that can't be ignored. The biggest thing I got out of the book was changing my stance to a "side-on" style. That one thing is responsible for an immediate increase in my scores... and I mean immediate. I have since modified that stance to make hard left angles more consistent to hit, but I am still using that same stance. Could I have learned all of these little things on my own? Probably, but it would have taken a lot longer. Are the books a little disjointed and hard to read once in a while? Yes, but I'm sure this review is as well. I was able to look past those problems with the books and focus on the hard information. Although I would have expected a more methodical approach to writing AND editing from a self-proclaimed engineer. Were the books worth the price tag? To me they were. The things I have learned in these books also helped me to win my class in a singles event la

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Trapshooters, February 2, 2007
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
The text & illustrations are well organized and detailed. I was impressed with the author's willingness to discuss objectively the pros and cons of various shooting techniques. The book really does a good job of providing the shooter with knowledge needed to practice more effectively and improve scores.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere, January 18, 2007
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
I truly believe there may be some good information in this book. I am unsure if you will be able to read enough of it to get any of it. It is so poorly, no let me restate, so OVER written as to be laughable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reading for All Trap Shooters, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
Alright, so let's just get the typical garbage about Russell's books out of the way. Yes they are self edited books with a number of spelling and grammar errors. Yes his books are filled with many repetitive issues and yes this book does have about 100 pages more than it should. None the less both his trap shooting books are filled with a wealth of knowledge and information. This particular book goes into concepts beyond a beginning shooter (and Russell states so in the front of the book) but also may run into resistance with many "experienced" shooters. Of course that may be a good thing, easier competition for you.

The reader must understand his trap shooting books are not written so as one reads through them, applies all the information, then becomes this uber shooter. They are written so as the reader can pick and choose the concepts, incorporate them into their style and hopefully make improvements. Again, Russell states this in the book but still seems to get a bad rap because the book(s) didn't make the reader a trap god.

The book is worth the money and is a "should" read for any savvy trap shooter. Although I have to admit, I applied more of the principals out of his first trap shooting book "Trap Shooting Secrets" than this one. I'm sure I'll discover more in this book (one needs to read them more than once). Having said that, because of this book the quality of my target breaks has increased two fold. No more chipping, chunking, or cutting in half. They now are smoked or obliterated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have books for beginners through advanced trap shooters!, February 20, 2007
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
Anyone wishing to alleviate years of mistakes and truly understand the fundamentals to become a better shooter must buy both of James Russell's books.

It is with great pride to tell you that I finally ran my first 25 straight at the 27 yard line today because of the books. This was a big goal for me. Thank you, thank you James.

A must have for all trap shooters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shooting BIBLE is correct, November 29, 2012
M. N. Stewart (Barcelona,Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
My overall feeling about the book is a positive one. I would have liked to have seen the illustrations in a more organized manner and not just lumped at the end of the book. That does however make quick reference easy.
What I'm not so keen on is the regular religious references! It for me has no place in a instructional manual. Buts its in the title so I guess it's my error!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately poorly written., January 9, 2014
This review is from: Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting (Paperback)
This book is difficult to follow with no formal chapters. The appendicies in the back are helpful, but the overall format of the book is strange and disoriented.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting
Trapshooter's Bible - Precision Shooting by James Russell (Paperback - March 1, 1998)
$34.95 $29.70