Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

• Trash
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CDChange

on September 14, 2000
I know it might sound crazy, but I really feel that this is ALICE COOPER'S best work. I love Alice, and all of his work, but this album is so entertaningly cheesy and experimental that it just bowled me over when I finally got it a couple of months ago. The idea of production by Desmond Child (Bon Jovi), made me wary of what he'd make Alice sound like, but what he's managed to do is add the same hooky sing-along sensability that he did for Bon Jovi and Aerosmith. I know that might sound a little wrong for Alice Cooper, but give this album a chance. The big hit, "Poison", is a great, campy rocker, and virtually the entire album is wall-to-wall hooks galore. This album basically reflects Alice Cooper moving to a style somewhere between Motley Crue and Bon Jovi. The songs: "Bed of Nails", "Only my Heart Talking", "Hell is living without you" (a song co-written and backed by Bon Jovi), and "House of Fire" are all amazingly catchy, goofy songs. This album is pure trash (like the title), but trash that is supremely fun and entertaining. As great as all his early stuff is, this is the kind of album that, wall-to-wall, features songs that you will not be able to get out of your head after you listen to them. Trust me. This one may be more for 80's rock fans than ALICE COOPER purists, but anyone with an open mind will find a astoundingly catchy and fun album if they're willing to listen to it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2000
Alice Cooper reminds me of David Bowie in some respects. Not the style or the look or anything, but, the willingness to go out on a limb and try something different. Not every Bowie fan likes every Bowie album and that could also be said about Alice Cooper. I think "Trash" is a move on Alice's part to try his hand at a more mainstream album than he had done in the past. I think he completely succeeded here. The songs are about sex, love, and relationships gone wrong. These subjects are all rock and roll staples. What makes this different from the way a band more traditionally known for it's melodic bend is Alice's presentation. He snarls through the song "Trash" in a VERY Alice Cooper way. "It's just the way you love me when you turn to t r a a a s h." He makes it sound so...wicked. "Poison" is one of my all time favorite songs. Hasn't everybody known somebody that just pushed all the right buttons but you KNOW better than to touch? "I wanna love you but I better not touch." For most of the other songs, you can get a clue as to what it's about by the song's title, except, perhaps, "Bed of Nails", which is a song about down and dirty sex. "Love hurts good...I'll drive you like a hammer on a bed of nails.". Just for balance, Alice added a ballad, "Only My Heart Talkin'". Overall, the album is more commercial than a lot of Alice's previous work. I expect some of the fans of his much older material may find it a little, hmm, commercial for their liking. As for the rest of us that love the melodic hard rock bands and the lighter side of Alice, this album is a must! If you are a fan of bands within the aforementioned group, such as, Aerosmith and Def Leppard, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Many of the bands have 1999-2000 releases. After you pick up a copy of "Trash", you might want to go check out your favorites. Need a memory jog? Click on over to my home page on Amazon. I have most of the bands reviewed or at least mentioned. Are you ready to rock? :o)
on March 16, 2007
Old skool heavy rock fans hate this album. They hate the whiff of sellout, the guest appearances like the co-writing with Desmond Child, Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi. They hate the fact that people as varies as Stiv Bator, Steve Lukather and a whole heap of Aerosmith and girlie faves like Kane Roberts and Kip Winger were also features. Particularly in relation to the latter two mentioned, they take umbrage that such third tier types were in posession of bigger profiles than their teenage shock rock idol circa '89.

The simple fact is that this sort of collaboration is exactly what Alice needed to bring him up to date. To bring his legacy to a new generation and the plain truth is that since this album the Coop has never fallen off the radar as badly as he had with dross such as Special Forces and Da.

The worst things that could be said of this album are that it's a cop out with all the extra writers and that it's a shameless sellout. But even a sellout is better than what we'd put up with prior to this release.

But just cos I'm not someone who was 18 when Billion Dollar Babies came out and therefore feel obliged to hate everything that came after doesn't mean I find this album faultess. Far from it. So, IMHO;

- Poison is a great song and a great way to start an album. Other highlights would be Bed of Nails in a cheesy sort of way and Spark in the Dark and House of Fire scoot along quickly enough that you almost don't notice the shaky musical premises their built on. Nicely flowing chorus' on tunes such as This Maniacs in Love With You and the visceral vocal performance of Why Trust You (a little out of place on a disc so smoothly produced by Desmond Child) lift these tunes to at least bog standard level.

- However despite Alice trying to talk it up at the time, Only My Heart Talkin' was never gonna have much impact on the charts. And Hell is Living Without You is filler while I'm Your Gun - well they probably figured that if they tacked it onto the end of the album nobody would notice it. And given the calibre of the songwriters here it's pretty scary they couldn't come upwith at least ten decent tunes.

- Alice Cooper still has something about him on pretty much any release he touches. And his brand of shock rock that at times delved into art rock is here fairly streamlined into mainstream late 80's hard rock. The riffs are clean, the production nice and when it does work it works pretty darn well. For heavens sake even Barry Manilow loving housewives like my mother liked Poison the thing was so darn catchy!

This slice of corporate rock ain't the best Coop product by a fair margin. But it gave him back the commercial impetus to relaunch his career and he subsequently grabbed that chance with both hands so regardless of what the purists may think this is an important album in the mans cataluge, but not always for the music itself.
on August 13, 2000
For the master of great seventies songs on teen rebellion, Cooper has been far ahead of his for a while now. On this disc, Alice style is a hard rock heavy metal kind of crunch that works well now and was the stuff back in the late eighties when this album was released. This is Alice's sick and twisted obsession with sex and love. Sure his wife must have loved this one. It's Alice raw and reenergized with a commercial rock sound that helped place him back on top of the charts.
By far the best known track is the sinister "Poison". The track focuses on a girl whose love is deadly, but the song is the killer. It's awesome heavy metal with hard pounding drums that really make the song. That's what a great rock song should be. I think the guitar riffs work pretty successful too, but it's the skins that come right before the chorus that kick the song to another level. Not only one of Alice's better numbers, but one of my favorite metal numbers of the eighties. Competes with great Ozzy material.
A sick obsession with sex continues on the S&M of "Bed Of Nails". With an spooky intro ala Cooper this song is very dark at first but then typical rock shouts and guitar sounds make the song tame again but with a near ghostly cooing in the background. Teenage rebellion is in play with a retro rock feel of "I'm Your Gun". Cooper gets very sensitive on "Only My Heart Talking". Very into the beautifully sensitive rock feel of "Only Women Bleed" but with a slight hard eighties sound. It's also kind of Country. A cool departure for the full on rock album. Steven Tyler makes a very vocal cameo on the song and Aero pal Joe Perry lets it rock on "House Of Fire". It has a boring intro evolves into something very cool with a stadium chantable chorus. "Trash" features John Bon Jovi a little in the chorus and the sound is kind of like the groups hard New Jersey rock sound, but luckily Cooper's screeching vocals and just mean spirited lyrics give it that classic sense of the album.
This is a very welcome return for Alice back onto the top of the charts. I really like a lot of his Seventies hits with that great writing that could be bluntly cruel, honestly inspiring or soulfully sympathetic. All of these come off on this big selling blockbuster. I don't know if Alice was after a really big hit but with a fun eighties rock near cliché sound, he got it with a smash in "Poison" and a pretty well known album. I like the full album and fans of eighties rock like Bon Jovi and others will love it. As for me, I really like this sound done by Alice but would really like to hear more of his classic rock from the seventies after this set. I'm sure it's even smarter.
on May 24, 2011
After being a Alice Cooper fan for many years this is the one album that I had neglected and never given a listen to. Mainly because the bad rap it's always gotten as being "sell out" or "corparate" So now that I finally have all of Alice's albums I figured I would give it a shot. I am listeing to it right now as I write this review and I have to say I like this album...Calling it a sell out is not the best way to describe it, But it is a very trendy album for 1989 Hard Rock and the move to include Desmond Child and Bon Jovi don't help matters much. I call this album his "Alice Jovi" period. Being the follow up to maybe my favorite Alice album ever "Raise Your Fist And Yell" it is disapointing, But some of the tunes are some of his best ever "Poison" "This Maniacs In Love With You" "Trash" "Hell Is Living Without You" are all excellent...But my favorite track on this album is "House Of Fire" which I think is a perfect Alice Cooper song. The only tune I don't care for is "Only My Heart Talkin" It doesn't fit Alice at all and could have been a song for any paint by numbers Hard Rock band of 1989, And the riff in "Spark In The Dark" is a total Bon Jovi rip off (yuck) I think any Alice Cooper fan can find something to dig on this album...Is it his best work ever? Nope but it is a good solid Rockin album...It's worth 5 dollars :)
on December 11, 2002
Some say that Trash and Hey Stoopid are Alice Lowest. Why? They contain some of his best songs! Who havent heard Poison?
This cd contains some extremly great songs, full of power. "Poison", "Spark in the Dark", "House of Fire", "Only My heart Talkin`" and "Hell is living without you" are superb songs, and makes this one of the classics of the 80`s. Produced by superman Desmond Child, who has worked with Ratt, Alannah Myles, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and many more, this certainly explaines the catchy rock and the great hits!
The strongest combination is on Bed of Nails, written by Alice Cooper, Desmond Child AND Diane Warren, known for many, many hits(Cher and Meatloaf). No doubt I love this album.
The lesser great songs, "Why Trust You", "Trash" and "I`m your gun" are mostly fillers, while "Why Trust you" is pretty decent, "Trash" and "I`m your gun" are...exactly Trash. But hey, 2 bad songs on a record, thats alright!
To be short and Sweet, this is my favorite Alice, Filled to the brim of Power Ballads, not to Heavy but not poppy, he certainly does a fantastic job on this record. It is one of the records you just got to have, not only because it boosts so many hits, but also because of the enjoyable rock he plays, and of Course....It`s Alice.
Dont forget Hey Stoopid, in my opinion a even better record!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
IF you like Alice Cooper's voice attached to the 1980's Bon Jovi style music effect, I'm sure you will enjoy this album of Alice Cooper here. I found that this album here is the closet thing, out of 1980's Alice Cooper album to sound like late 1980's and early 1990's glam metal. It is a great album don't get me wrong, but, I was not at all into the sinful lyrics of this music. although most glam metal is not as sinful as some of this stuff. I like it but don't love the music on this album, it is kinda for a teen crowd in my opinion. For those of you who don't like music that sound similar to glam metal in the mid to late 1980's and 1990's this is not the album for you. It is more harder then the softer 1970's Alice Cooper albums. however if you like glam metal as I do actually, you are sure to enjoy Alice Cooper's "Trash" album right here. I recommend this album to 1980's Alice Cooper fans more so than to the early 1970's Alice Cooper fans and not to most sensitive Christians, in which this might offend them. I am Christian and not sensitive and this did offend me some so just letting you know.

There is 10 songs on this album and it is about 40 minutes long.
VINE VOICEon January 26, 2003
After the newly reinvigorated Alice came off the tours supporting "Constrictor" and "Raise Your Fist," the time was ripe for not just a comeback. The time was their to conquer. Alice had a new label, Epic, a slew of fans who'd grown up with "School's Out" (Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child), and a pack of hired gun songwriters as his support team. The ingrediants were there to make sure that the New Alice was going to fit in with a generation of fans currently lapping up the likes of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi.

The payoff was the biggest single of his career, "Poison," the incredibly profitable "Trash The World" tour, and his best album in a decade. Granted, it ain't "Billion Dollar Babies," but it gave the Godfather of Shock Rock a chance to work his mojo on a new breed of kids and nostalgic adults. Plus he found his way into the movie "Wayne's World." How cool is that?

The only gripe would be that there's a little too much of the BonJovi pop metal here, but pass on that quibble and relish the deliberate tackiness of "Trash" or "I'm Your Gun." Thank God for insured Alice's place in the pantheon of rock to which he is rightful heir.
on July 1, 2001
Not many agree, but to me this is Alice's best. "Trash" stood above a lot of albums in 1989 (quality wise), spent 36 weeks on Billboard's Top 100, and introduced Alice to a whole new generation. The concept was best explained by Alice himself on "Prime Cuts." Alice had done so many horrific things, that "Trash" was his chance to get laid. Each song was planned accordingly, and they work. "Poison" kick starts the disc with ferocity, followed by a slew of heavy hitters including the MTV-banned "Bed of Nails." Two ballads soften the intensity of this concept album (of sorts) that centers on the love/hate relationships of men and women.
"Trash" doesn't let you forget that it's an Alice Cooper album. It's dark at times, twisted most times, and while commercial, enjoyable at all times. By far his best post-70s work.
on November 26, 2002
....and discovers -- oooh, this is scary -- SEX! And not the teenage longings of "Muscle of Love," either! The smoldering "Poison" (along with the red-hot video) capture a side of Alice we've never seen/heard before. The title track features witty adlibbling between Alice & Jon Bon Jovi; "Only My Heart Talking" is a plaintive cry for a lost love and features backup vocals by Steven Tyler (along with a wickedly clever video!) Alice then switches gears with with the obsessive "This Maniac's In Love With You," the ultimate love-crazed, sex-starved stalker on the prowl. Female fans of the Master should automatically fall under his spell while listening to this one!