I am not a travel hacker or a couch surfer. I have however spent a lot of time travel for fun and work AND I lived for a year in Bergen, Norway as an exchange student.

Published 19 months ago by Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price (free)
On the positive side:
The author has an obvious understanding of Norway and Norwegians, as well as a genuine enthusiasm for this great country. This is more of a notebook of personal tips and impressions than a travel guide, but they are fair and give a good feel for the Norway experience.

On the negative side:
I hate friends writing reviews for...
Published on May 17, 2012 by Just Wondering

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative read for first time travel hackers interested in Norway, November 24, 2012
This review is from: The Travel Hacking Guide to Norway (Travel Hacking Guides Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

So why did I buy this book? Since leaving Norway many years ago returning has been high on my list of things to do and if there is one key fact about Norway travelers should know is that it is an expensive country to visit. The Travel Hacking Guide to Norway held the promise of creative ideas for keeping costs down allowing me to get the most for my travel dollars and hopefully getting exposed to places and experiences I didn't have there previously.

Does the book live up to the expectations? Yes, but not exactly in the way I was expecting.

First off you should know the Scott Meyer can write well and in an entertaining manner. He has also spent enough time living in Norway to develop a love of the people and country that comes through clearly in his writing. This is important because in my experience Norway is nothing short of exceptional and I think Meyer does an a good job of conveying that to the reader.

If you are expecting a traditional travel guide though then you are in for a surprise. Part one of the book is a guide to how to "travel hack" or travel on the cheap. Its a pretty good intro to the topic and I definitely picked up some ideas that I am going to give a try myself in the future but, I think to get the most benefit out of the advice you would need to pretty dedicated to the process.

Once you get past the initial travel hacking advice the book dives into some really good content on the Norway, key places to visit, culture, and some travel advice from a variety of people with great insight into different regions and cities in Norway (many of which are off the beaten tourist track).

Overall the content in this book is excellent. There are a couple of things I would like to see done in future editions (hoping there will be future editions) including:
- Segment the advice into regions a little more concisely
- Add some maps and illustrations to help people get a better sense of the geography being covered (its a big, rugged country)
- And of course more or everything

This would be an ideal candidate to be broken into regions, i.e. Travel Hacking Bergen, Norway, Travel Hacking Oslo, Norway, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price (free), May 17, 2012
On the positive side:

On the negative side:
I hate friends writing reviews for friends. The first 5 reviews are all 5 stars, none are verified purchasers, some acknowledge knowing the author, most have not reviewed anything else on Amazon, and all are over the top in their praise. It is an OK book, but the author ain't Ibsen.

The book is very short and would not be worth the listed price ($14.99 for print and $9.99 for digital!!!!). Probably worth $1.00, the most common price for these types of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspired more travel dreams, December 28, 2012
Sister Becky Swanson (Minneapolis, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
This was a fun recommendation from friends of the author. It opened my eyes to ways that I can use (even as someone decidedly not in "youth hostel" demographic) to explore Norway. Seems like the tips are transferrable to other countries as well. It inspired me to join CouchSurfing as a host to see how it works.

4.0 out of 5 stars a different kind of travel book, May 21, 2012
This is a unique travel guide book. Instead listing info about hotels and area attractions, it introduces a new way of traveling. Despite that I have lived in Norway as a high school exchange student for one year and have been going back for short trips to visit my host family and refresh my Norwegian, I find interesting new information about the people and culture of Norway. This book inspires me to backpack thru Norway and see it from a whole new perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory reading, May 16, 2012
This is a book that should be mandatory reading if you want to visit Norway and understand the Norwegian way of thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars First of its kind--will easily save you money, May 14, 2012
If you're planning a trip to Norway, get this book. It will pay for itself many times over. And it provides an insider's view into what to see and do. Totally worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The next generation travel guide, May 16, 2012
This book provides not only great insider information about traveling to Norway, but provides insight into the future of travel guides. It is a travel guide for the next generation of travelers who want a unique travel experience that goes beyond the tourist sites. In a time where many travel answers can be found online, Scott is able to give his readers the ins and outs of travel hacking Norway. What to do and how to do it with a fresh approach that can't be found anywhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great information, October 30, 2013
We found the book to be very informational. If we had traveled inland instead of on a cruise ship it would have been a lot more beneficial to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright insights for a memorable trip!, May 14, 2012
A must-to-have in your digital backpack, a well-written, independent and inspiring guide for Norway, full of great tips written by insiders. I lived there for a few years and this book truly reveals the best part of this fabulous country, powered by Nature. The book reflects the fantastic irony of the author, which I had the wonderful chance to meet a couple of times. I'll never forget one of his great jokes to entertain his guests during a tour... "I live here in Tromsø, several hundred miles north of the arctic circle. This makes me probably the northernmost south-Dakotan".

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Approach to Traveling, May 15, 2012
JTM (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
The Travel Hacking Guide to Norway helped me look at travel in a new way, and not just to Norway. Author, Scott Meyer, makes you understand all the opportunities there are to take advantage of to not only travel affordably, but also more fully. A must read for fans of Norway.

Rate and Discover Movies