4.0 out of 5 stars A neat, compact package
Published on August 16, 2007 by Michael J. Edelman

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars Kind of cheap
Just got this guitar, and honestly I was expecting something a little.... well, something worth 300 bucks. It just feels cheap (not sure what type of wood it is, it's like basla wood or laminate or something). Not to mention it's got a nice little MADE IN CHINA stamp on the back (and it feels like it). It rattles a little bit when you play. I'd also be surprised if it...
Published on November 9, 2012 by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A neat, compact package, August 16, 2007
This review is from: Traveler Guitar Ultra-Light Acoustic-Electric Travel Guitar with Gig Bag (Electronics)
I've had various travel guitars- I have a Taylor Big Baby, and used to own a Martin Backpacker- but I was looking for something that was more portable than either- something small enough to pack inside a suitcase and carry on vacation. I wasn't looking something with great sound, or something stageworthy, just something with a full sized neck to practice on when I was away from home.

I tried one of the Travelers that comes with both piezo and magnetic pickups at a local guitar discount chain, and I liked the feel (though not the painted finish); it was the only model they had, so I decided to do a buit more research into the range. Back home, I looked at the Traveler Guitars web site, and this model caught my eye- no electronics, piezo pickup only, but it was light, tiny, and came in an attractive natural finish. And the price was right, too. I decided to chance it.

It arrived this morning, and I've been playing with it most of the day. Fit and finish is very good, if simple, and the feel of the neck is excellent. The neck in particular shows a lot of care, with all the frets carefully hand-filed and shaped- no sharp edges here, like on so many inexpensive imports. Traveler is either doing a lot of QC on these guitars when they arrive, or they've found a really good shop to produce them.

Despite the odd shape and lack of a headstock, it's easy to play. I found that a strap was more comfortable for me than the clip-on lap support, but thanks to the light weight, even without the strap or the lap support it's easy to hold.

Plugged into a standard guitar amp- a Tech21 Trademark 30- the sound was not very good- too much of that piezo twang, and an uneven balance. But plugged into the high-impedance (10 megohm) input of my Acoustic Image Contra, the sound was surprisingly good- better than a lot of much more expensive, piezo outfitted instruments I've tried. Using my K&K Preamp with a short (6") patch cord also delivered a much improved sound.

In summary, I'm very happy with this guitar (in fact, I've got in on my lap as I type this). It's tiny enough to travel everywhere, and with the right amplification, it sounds very good. In fact, I'm thinking the Traveler bass guitar might be a nice addition to the collection, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice little instrument..., January 5, 2009
Lightning (Katy, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This is no Strat. It is no Dreadnaught. But it is a very nice little practice guitar. Fit and finish make it a real musical instrument, not a toy. Stays in tune. Sounds very good through a Rowland Micro Cube amp. I haven't found a satisfactory headphone amp yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Travel Guitar but Has Limitations, April 7, 2009
The Traveler Ultra Light serves it's purpose as an easily packable full-scale travel guitar. Put on a decent strap and it's not hard to get use to playing. The problem I have encountered is that it does not have a built in headphone amp and I haven't found one that is very compatible with it. The Pocket Rock-it sounds pretty good but the positioning and size of it make it awkward to use since it gets in the way of your strumming arm. I bought a Dean Markley travel amp with a 3" speaker and it doesn't sound very good with the piezo pick-up on the guitar. Its very "quacky" and plastic sounding. Plugged into a full-size amp, this guitar sounds great but that kind of defeats the purpose of the travel concept. I have never tried the Traveler Pro-Series, which has the piezo pick-up, single coil pick-up and stethophone or the Traveler Escape, which has a built in headphone amp but I would recommend those over the Ultra-Light. The materials on the Ultra-Light are high quality and it is very well made so I would think other products from this company are as well. I will probably buy another Traveler brand guitar in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Travel Companion, (with a tweak), October 8, 2010
First of all I love this as a travel guitar. And I'm considering adding other models to my collection, even though I don't really need them. It took me a while to decide if I wanted the Original Escape, the Pro, or the Ultra Light-Acoustic or Electric. In the end I bought the Ultra-light Acoustic.

I wanted something super small so I wouldn't have some excuse not to take it with me on long overseas trips. I really liked the Pro, but I wasn't thrilled about the little wooden leg support. And unlike my ultra-light which I have the option of not using, the pro-needs the wooden leg attached to work, and it seems like it would take more time to set up. The metal leg brace on the ultra pops in a second (it looks weird but it works nicely!)

And there are a few reports of the pro and the wood brace cracking as well. So I decided to stay away from it.

The ultra Light has a nice ebony fretboard, the tuning is a little odd, but you quickly get used to it. Changing strings takes a little getting used to but isn't really a problem. The Guitar seems to stay in tune very well and the neck was nice and straight with no Truss adjustments needed..

There is no volume adjustment, so you need to adjust the volume from your amp. Sounds from the Pizo pickup is good, and when I went into my VOX AC-30 with a little overdrive sounded just like an electric guitar...

My major issue was the the string action, admittedly I like really low string action on acoustics and ones that tend to play like electrics(I like taylor acoustics for this reason). But the action as shipped was usable at the low frets, but at the higher frets above about 12 made flat picking a chore.

However I simply adjusted the saddle (basically a guitar setup procedure where you file/sand down the saddle until you get to the string height). If you know how to do this aready it is pretty easy on this guitar as the saddle is removable, if not then any guitar shop/Luthor will do it for you.

Once I adjusted this, I love the feel. I have acoustic strings on it and it feels a lot like my Les Paul or my Taylors. (Note it has a 24 1/2" scale which is on the low side of what is considered a standard. Les Pauls are ~24 3/4, Strats are 25 1/2". But it is certainly normal, not short like some of the other funky travel guitars out there.

To compare, I did first buy a Washburn Rover which had glowing reviews, however I thought it was a piece of junk. Very toy like and had terrible neck feel and string action. Returned it right away. However this is a very playable guitar even for an experiance guitarist like my self. Good for travel and just practicing on the couch.

However be aware that with acoustic strings you aren't going to get much sound out of it without an amp (compared to a normal acoustic). I don't really care since I often play or practice my electrics not plugged in. So this probably isn't for you if you want to sit around the campfire and entertain. However I would recommend for an easy guitar to take with you anywhere.

In it's case it is really small and easily carried over shoulder and can be wedged into a tight space in a bag bin on an airplane. Looks kind of like a short shotgun when in it's case..

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Me, October 22, 2009
After looking at many of the travel guitars I decided to purchase the Traveller Ultra-light. At 3 pounds and 28 inches it fits nicely into my 28" rolling airline bag. The quality is excellent. I use it with a laptop computer as an amp while on the road. I am very happy with this Guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for a Musician Who Travels!, December 26, 2010
I bought this guitar for my boyfriend for Christmas. He is a pilot and travels a LOT. He is also a pretty good guitar player, but bemoans the fact that he can't practice when he's on the road. He absolutely loves this travel guitar. The size is super compact, but the neck is a full-size neck, so it feels as though you are playing a full-size guitar. It can be used with head phones or plugged into an amp. He appreciates quality, so the fact that he loves this item so much tells you something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., May 8, 2009
I looked around at a lot of 'travel' guitars, but always found something lacking. This was the perfect combination of price, performance and portability. The greatest thing is probably because of it's remarkable design, it's a full-size guitar. It plays just like any normal size guitar. The piezoelectric pickup under the bridge is rudimentary (no preamp, volume or eq control), but it's clean and functional. Plugged in it sounds like any other piezo-pickup acoustic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Travel Guitar, March 30, 2013
I've had this little instrument for 4 months now. It's been on at least 12 trips (probably around 50 flight connections) with me and has held up very well thus far. Surprisingly it keeps in tune pretty well, even being thrown around in the overhead bins or stuck under the seat with me stepping on it. ;-)
I primarily use it as is for just practice in my hotel room, but I also sometimes use a VOX AC 30 headphone amp or at home plug it into my VOX Valvetronix if I'm not using one of my full size guitars.

It could definitely be nicer for the price, but no complaints as it is doing perfectly for what I bought it for (being able to practice when traveling without having to carry a full size guitar)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Travel Guitar on the Market, December 14, 2012
I was completely blown away when I saw that this was a FULL 3/4 size guitar. It's just more than two feet, and weighs barely anything. Just because it's called an Ultra-light doesn't not make it lightweight. It's very heavy duty with no loose parts, made with quality materials. Very beautiful spruce and mahogany. This is unlike any other travel instrument mainly for it's in-body tuning system. This is very convenient because the tuning pegs are not being accidentally bumped and adjusted while traveling. It's set up as if it was on the headstock; Low E string on the top right, A string on top middle, and so on. It's felt awkward to tune it the first couple times, but you get used to it. Since it has no sound hole, the sound is extremely quiet. Until you plug in the amp. It has a standard 1/4 input that is located on the strap pin. I use the Vox amPlug AC30 Guitar Headphone Amp where I plug in my headphones, and the sound is amplified clearly. The amp also has an input for a CD player, iPod, or other device so you can jam along with the song! The time where I find most convenient to play guitar is late at night, when everyone is sleeping! The sound from this guitar is quiet enough to not disturb anyone. I can safely say that the Ultra-Light is the best innovation in travel guitars, and is greatly recommended for those who travel or those who don't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good travel guitar, June 21, 2011
This is a great travel guitar, it is small and is sturdy built. Compared to the price range of what else is out there and the fact that I will primarily be traveling on an airplanes, this seemed the best choice, and it was! The only downside is the plug is right where your arm would rest on a typical guitar and whatever you plug in will get in the way. All in all I can not complain though, it is perfect for the frequent traveler in my opinion. You pretty much have to use a strap as well because this thing is so light it tends to move.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›