Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

I've had various travel guitars- I have a Taylor Big Baby, and used to own a Martin Backpacker- but I was looking for something that was more portable than either- something small enough to pack inside a suitcase and carry on vacation. I wasn't looking something with great sound, or something stageworthy, just something with a full sized neck to practice on when I was away from home.

I tried one of the Travelers that comes with both piezo and magnetic pickups at a local guitar discount chain, and I liked the feel (though not the painted finish); it was the only model they had, so I decided to do a buit more research into the range. Back home, I looked at the Traveler Guitars web site, and this model caught my eye- no electronics, piezo pickup only, but it was light, tiny, and came in an attractive natural finish. And the price was right, too. I decided to chance it.

It arrived this morning, and I've been playing with it most of the day. Fit and finish is very good, if simple, and the feel of the neck is excellent. The neck in particular shows a lot of care, with all the frets carefully hand-filed and shaped- no sharp edges here, like on so many inexpensive imports. Traveler is either doing a lot of QC on these guitars when they arrive, or they've found a really good shop to produce them.

Despite the odd shape and lack of a headstock, it's easy to play. I found that a strap was more comfortable for me than the clip-on lap support, but thanks to the light weight, even without the strap or the lap support it's easy to hold.

Plugged into a standard guitar amp- a Tech21 Trademark 30- the sound was not very good- too much of that piezo twang, and an uneven balance. But plugged into the high-impedance (10 megohm) input of my Acoustic Image Contra, the sound was surprisingly good- better than a lot of much more expensive, piezo outfitted instruments I've tried. Using my K&K Preamp with a short (6") patch cord also delivered a much improved sound.

In summary, I'm very happy with this guitar (in fact, I've got in on my lap as I type this). It's tiny enough to travel everywhere, and with the right amplification, it sounds very good. In fact, I'm thinking the Traveler bass guitar might be a nice addition to the collection, too.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2009
This is no Strat. It is no Dreadnaught. But it is a very nice little practice guitar. Fit and finish make it a real musical instrument, not a toy. Stays in tune. Sounds very good through a Rowland Micro Cube amp. I haven't found a satisfactory headphone amp yet.
on October 8, 2010
First of all I love this as a travel guitar. And I'm considering adding other models to my collection, even though I don't really need them. It took me a while to decide if I wanted the Original Escape, the Pro, or the Ultra Light-Acoustic or Electric. In the end I bought the Ultra-light Acoustic.

I wanted something super small so I wouldn't have some excuse not to take it with me on long overseas trips. I really liked the Pro, but I wasn't thrilled about the little wooden leg support. And unlike my ultra-light which I have the option of not using, the pro-needs the wooden leg attached to work, and it seems like it would take more time to set up. The metal leg brace on the ultra pops in a second (it looks weird but it works nicely!)

And there are a few reports of the pro and the wood brace cracking as well. So I decided to stay away from it.

The ultra Light has a nice ebony fretboard, the tuning is a little odd, but you quickly get used to it. Changing strings takes a little getting used to but isn't really a problem. The Guitar seems to stay in tune very well and the neck was nice and straight with no Truss adjustments needed..

There is no volume adjustment, so you need to adjust the volume from your amp. Sounds from the Pizo pickup is good, and when I went into my VOX AC-30 with a little overdrive sounded just like an electric guitar...

My major issue was the the string action, admittedly I like really low string action on acoustics and ones that tend to play like electrics(I like taylor acoustics for this reason). But the action as shipped was usable at the low frets, but at the higher frets above about 12 made flat picking a chore.

However I simply adjusted the saddle (basically a guitar setup procedure where you file/sand down the saddle until you get to the string height). If you know how to do this aready it is pretty easy on this guitar as the saddle is removable, if not then any guitar shop/Luthor will do it for you.

Once I adjusted this, I love the feel. I have acoustic strings on it and it feels a lot like my Les Paul or my Taylors. (Note it has a 24 1/2" scale which is on the low side of what is considered a standard. Les Pauls are ~24 3/4, Strats are 25 1/2". But it is certainly normal, not short like some of the other funky travel guitars out there.

To compare, I did first buy a Washburn Rover which had glowing reviews, however I thought it was a piece of junk. Very toy like and had terrible neck feel and string action. Returned it right away. However this is a very playable guitar even for an experiance guitarist like my self. Good for travel and just practicing on the couch.

However be aware that with acoustic strings you aren't going to get much sound out of it without an amp (compared to a normal acoustic). I don't really care since I often play or practice my electrics not plugged in. So this probably isn't for you if you want to sit around the campfire and entertain. However I would recommend for an easy guitar to take with you anywhere.

In it's case it is really small and easily carried over shoulder and can be wedged into a tight space in a bag bin on an airplane. Looks kind of like a short shotgun when in it's case..
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2009
The Traveler Ultra Light serves it's purpose as an easily packable full-scale travel guitar. Put on a decent strap and it's not hard to get use to playing. The problem I have encountered is that it does not have a built in headphone amp and I haven't found one that is very compatible with it. The Pocket Rock-it sounds pretty good but the positioning and size of it make it awkward to use since it gets in the way of your strumming arm. I bought a Dean Markley travel amp with a 3" speaker and it doesn't sound very good with the piezo pick-up on the guitar. Its very "quacky" and plastic sounding. Plugged into a full-size amp, this guitar sounds great but that kind of defeats the purpose of the travel concept. I have never tried the Traveler Pro-Series, which has the piezo pick-up, single coil pick-up and stethophone or the Traveler Escape, which has a built in headphone amp but I would recommend those over the Ultra-Light. The materials on the Ultra-Light are high quality and it is very well made so I would think other products from this company are as well. I will probably buy another Traveler brand guitar in the future.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2009
After looking at many of the travel guitars I decided to purchase the Traveller Ultra-light. At 3 pounds and 28 inches it fits nicely into my 28" rolling airline bag. The quality is excellent. I use it with a laptop computer as an amp while on the road. I am very happy with this Guitar.
on June 5, 2013
The novelty of its design and the workmanship alone make this a worthwhile purchase. I already have a travel guitar (and 7 others), but this has the advantage of fitting in my suitcase. Tried once to keep it with me on the airplane and store it in the overhead--it's just the wrong size for that, and I cringed every time someone put their bag in after I did--it's too vulnerable to damage.
Plays well with a VOX portable amp and headphones. Use it to record new stuff while traveling, hooked up to the VOX and a ZOOM H1. Fretboard is high quality. Fret ends were a little rough--easy fix with a fret file. Adjusted the action a little--has an easily accessed truss rod and includes a wrench for it. Not as comfortable to play as a dreadnought, but better than many small guitars. I hooked a strap to it, and that in combination with the metal lap rod apparatus makes it work okay.
It's a little difficult to tune--hard to get a regular electronic tuner to pick up the vibrations unless clipped on the body next to the strings. Then it gets in the way of the tuners. Nothing unmanageable, but annoying. I'm pretty sure it can be tuned using a plug-in electronic tuner, but haven't tried that yet.
on September 8, 2011
I got this guitar at an incredible delivery speed, taking into account that I choose International normal priority delivers (I live in Mexico).

I must say, this is a really lovely guitar. I got it delivered in my office and everybody was like "Wow!! I want one". Even a guy from another floor occasionally gets to my floor to play it.

I bought it together with the VC30 classic amp.

Here are the minor details, for those of you thinking in buying it:

- The strap is a must. Even when you plan yo play it in a sitting position using the included metal piece, you won't be able to equilibrate the orientation of the frets. Since the guitar lacks a body, you can't push it towards your belly/chest to keep it firm. This loads your arms/wrist/hands with an additional force to keep it in a right position.
- About the strap, if you get a normal strap, you will find yourself with a little annoyance for storing it together with the guitar. I know this sounds really picky, but I never take the strap off of my normal guitars. I always store them with the strap on. The problem is that the bag is designed exactly for the size of the guitar, and a normal strap is way to big to fit in there. You may consider look carefully in amazon or another store for a thiner strap. Since the weight of the guitar is barely noticeable, you don't need those thick straps to hold it.

- The sound is not exactly what I expected. Either the amp or the guitar or the combination of both causes this. I believe the lack of a resonance box causes this, but you will find yourself amplifying the sound way too much, and then the movements of your finger accross the strings will sound louder than what it sounds in a usual guitar. I don't know if this is bad, since from now I always that into account when changing from one chord to another, making my playings much more perfect.

That said, I believe this is a great product/idea. Having the amplifier integrated in the low-end products would be great, because honestly the VC30, being great by itself, is clearly not detsigned for this guitar (the orientaton is inverted) and, for me, it is not important to have a removable amplifier. Having the mixer for one-channel integrated would also be great. I know, it makes the guitar more segment-oriented for those of us who want it for practicing purposes and would rip off options from those who are willing to use it in a performance.
on December 26, 2010
I bought this guitar for my boyfriend for Christmas. He is a pilot and travels a LOT. He is also a pretty good guitar player, but bemoans the fact that he can't practice when he's on the road. He absolutely loves this travel guitar. The size is super compact, but the neck is a full-size neck, so it feels as though you are playing a full-size guitar. It can be used with head phones or plugged into an amp. He appreciates quality, so the fact that he loves this item so much tells you something.
on September 14, 2013
This little guitar is very handy to travel with - or just practice scales on while watching TV. The plug-in leg rest is too slippery to be useful, but I found slipping a length of clear vinyl tubing over it solved my problem. Just wet the inside of the tubing with water first and you can slide it into place.
on July 3, 2014
Very portable guitar. Will fit into a large bag that is checked. It will not fit into a carry on sized suitcase. It is easy to carry, but will count as a personal item by most airlines. I find it hard to play without a strap. It doesn't easily sit on my lap. The strings are junk that ship with it. I will change them at some point. Works well through an amp, but quiet without one. The term Acoustic- in the title is misleading. It isn't one to play that others will hear without plugging into an amp. It is an electric guitar, not acoustic.