5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well-built luggage
Published on January 8, 2010 by D. W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value
Published on March 15, 2011 by G. M. Schaefer

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, well-built luggage, January 8, 2010
I bought this set for a recent trip, and was pleased with how well it was constructed. It even had a nice interior cover that can be zipped over your clothes and includes a sort of compression strap system that was helpful in getting everything packed in there. The collapsible handle is sturdy and locks in place to prevent damage by overly enthusiastic baggage handlers. It also has convenient carry handles on the top and bottom to aid in retrieving the bag from an overhead bin. The smaller bag was perfect as a carry-on. I used it to hold my books, iPod, etc.

Just be aware that if you take advantage of the expansion panel feature on the bag it may not fit in an airline overhead compartment. I had to check the larger bag on the way back because I had opened up the expansion panels and stuffed it full.

I definitely recommend this luggage.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real carry-on, great for occasional traveler, April 23, 2012
I have owned this carry-on set for about 6 months now, and got to use it for a few trips (3 weekend getaways, and 2 five day trips).

Since I do not travel a lot, I did not want to pay too much for a luggage set. This one fits the bill perfectly.

Here are the good points I see:
* the price is right. I will not be mad if one day I have to check the luggage in, and the airline looses them.
* it is a real carry-on for ANY airline: sure, some airlines will accept over-sized carry-on. But the day the plane is really full, they start being picky and asking people to check the carry-on in. With this set, you would be very unlucky if it was to happen to you. Also, rolling it down the aisle is easy as the bigger piece is narrow.
* color is nice. I got the green one for me, and my wife chose the orange (that is more yellow in my opinion). Both are really a nice change from the regular black/brown you usually get, but it might stain more easily of you were to check it in, which hopefully will not happen.
* quality: I was expecting less for the price. If you avoid checking it in, it should last a while. Fabric and zippers feel durable. The handle might be the weakest part, as it does not feel that strong, but so far, so good.
* the small piece fits on top of the bigger one, and has a strap to be attached to the handle. In this configuration, getting out of the plane, switching plane and walking in the airport is very convenient, as you only need one hand for both pieces.
* The small piece is the perfect size to fit a tablet or a kindle, as well as whatever you would need close to you during the flight or for your trip. I am able to fit: full size headphones, one tablet, one travel guide, a collapsible umbrella.
* For me, this set size is enough for a few days trip. But it might be too small for others. This is hard to comment on this.

A few minor points that explain the 4 star rating:
* when I received the set, the chemical smell was quite strong. The smell went away fairly quickly by leaving the pieces open for a few days in a well ventilated room. But it would have been great if the manufacturer took care of removing the smell for me.
* When you expand the bigger piece, and fill it completely, it will loose it's balance and not be able to stand vertically by itself. This is not too much of an issue as I did use only this feature once. To try to make it better on the way back, I tried to put the heavier items first, and toward the bottom. Balance was better, but I could tell it was still close from falling if I was to let it stand there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent item and perfect price!, May 14, 2009
C. Baker "Mommy Baker 2006" (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
We needed carry on for a trip out of the country and this suitcase and bag worked perfectly. Quality made and very reasonably priced compared to others we saw. Would recommend to anyone taking a trip for a few days and only need carry on vs trying to check baggage!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, March 15, 2011
For the price I really can't complain, suitcase appears to be of a good quality and I was pleased with it's performance this past weekend. A few things to be aware of... Expanded this suitcase is still carry-on size. For a 4 day trip I had to expand to fit everything (this included my lap top) and I was unable to include any extra's such as gym shoes. If you are looking for something that is a carry on in one configuration and then can expand for some extra space and be checked, this is not the bag for you. The 2nd bag is as small as it looks in the pictures. I'm really not sure what use I will have for it. I love the mustard color, just nice to have something different but after one trip it is show scuffs. Overall this bag fit the bill, I needed something last minuet and cheep and I did not have time to shop. In the long term I don't know as it has the versatility that I would like n a suit case this size.

5.0 out of 5 stars great carry-on luggage, November 15, 2009
I bought this set of carry-on luggage for my mom's trip to Hawaii and she was trilled. The luggage had compartments, zippers, expansion options, and much more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Used Once ! Not Bad, February 15, 2010
I got this carry on for $42 to use on a trip from Philly to San Fran. It was good, so far no problem, the wheels tend sometimes to jam but for now they're okay. I dont think this bag would hold up for extensive traveling. I would say its a good carry on for a occasional traveler !

1.0 out of 5 stars You get even less than you pay for, October 8, 2011
This review is from: US Traveler Rio Two Piece Expandable Carry-On Luggage Set (Apparel)
The price is quite modest, and so were my expectations.

However, it disappointed the few I had.

First of all, when the product arrived, it looked even cheaper than it actually was, and a lot less nice than the photos. The material isn't particularly light-weight, and it is a rough plastic inside and out.

Secondly it doesn't really give you any bits to hold your luggage down, just several empty black holes to pile it all into.

The zips were also tricky, and when the luggage was full, tended to split unless the luggage was well below capacity. Even when the luggage is half-full, it doesn't stand upright on its own.

Then the thing that finally killed it was the luggage pull. By my second trip with this luggage, the pull was having difficulty coming up and down. And by the third trip, it broke off entirely. I've had pulls jam in the past, but I've never had one just break off in my feminine hands.

This luggage lasted less than 3 months, and when I wrote to the seller, they advised me that my warranty had long expired.

I've owned several brands over the years, from cheap plastic raffia style bags, through to Unicorn, Delsey and Samsonite. I would say this is the most disappointing piece of luggage I've ever purchased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice long weekend combo, May 4, 2010
First time air travel with carryon luggage only. This set was large enough for 4 days, 3 nights. Casual and dressy. Set is well constructed and fits well together for rolling onboard. Had room to buy shorts, shirt and teeshirt and bring back with the expansion feature. Set should last well for many trips in the overhead bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke on the first day of the first trip, July 10, 2012
It was lightly loaded, yet the handle snapped completely off on the first day. I had to carry the item around for the remainder of the trip. A waste of time and money

1.0 out of 5 stars US Traveler Rio Two Piece Expandable Carry-On Luggage Set, September 11, 2012
"Amazon Verified Purchase,"
This item does not stand up to the rigous of being pulled around airports or train stations. The handle malfunctioned on the expandable part of the set halfway through my trip. I left it in the hotel. However, the smaller was sturdier.

US Traveler Rio Two Piece Expandable Carry-On Luggage Set