Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on May 19, 2011
I'll be honest, I haven't taken this on a trip yet. I bought mine for a long trip to Korea in August. However, I took mine apart, toyed with it all, and stress tested all the handles, wheels, and zippers. It's pretty sturdy for the most part and has good stitching and fastening on the main handles. The zippers ran relatively smooth and didn't catch on any of the inside material or anything (a major pet peeve of mine). The zippers are pretty large too which makes it easy, and it comes with simple locks for basic security. There's not many compartments on the set (the pics reveal all), but for the average traveler it should be sufficient. The look of it is also really nice (I bought the charcoal set) and it seems like great luggage for an affordable price.

One thing I'd worry about and stress test in advance: the extending handles used for rolling around on each one. These do seem rather flimsy, especially the release button for it. I'd recommend playing with each a few times and pulling firmly to see if it'll hold without breaking. Mine held fine but I can see where people may snap there's accidentally (especially if you're not careful). I'd be curious if people would give more specifics as to what broke on their handles (the release button, the telescoping part, or the actual handle itself). I'm also curious whether they were using this handle to carry the luggage or if it broke just rolling it around.

Just buy in advance and test it all out well before you leave, don't blind buy and never try it until you pack for the airport.

Update 6/20/11: I took these to Vegas for a weekend trip and they held up well. I used the handles and pulled them around for a while on the trip. I had to take these around the airport for hours since my flight was cancelled and I checked in a two hotels. For a single weekend I got a lot of use out of them and they were sturdy. Everything held up perfectly.

Update 7/23/11: I moved from Los Angeles to Seoul, Korea, then to Gwangju, Korea. This set has had its fair share of use by now and I've been lugging it around a lot in the past couple weeks in Korea. It's still going great and holding up perfectly under stress. No issues whatsoever.

Update 3/28/12: This luggage is still awesome. I took it to Tokyo, Japan for a week and carted it around a lot on subways, trains, stairs, etc. and it's still perfectly intact.

Final update 10/23/12: I noticed this review is the highest now so I'll make one last update. STILL perfect after traveling across SE Asia. I even mailed the medium piece ground (boat) from Korea to the States. The package was beat up but the luggage was still undamaged.

Okay, I lied. ONE last update: 6/16: It FINALLY broke!! After about 5 years, the handle broke off the main piece. I regret nothing!
1212 comments| 953 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2011
I searched and searched for reasonable luggage. I did not want to spend too much money on a luggage set this time around. After reading reviews from Amazon and other websites I decided to choose this one.

My luggage arrived quickly after my order, which was nice. At first I was a little disappointed because I expected the luggage to be larger but I noticed that these were narrow but deeper compared to my old luggage set (so it was actually about the same size).

We recently went on a weeks long vacation and I used every piece of luggage. I had no problem with this luggage at all. I even stuffed them to the max! The material was strong enough, good compartments, it rolled smoothly, and it was bounced around a lot in the car and I am sure at the airport. I gotta admit for the price I thought they were going to be a cheap and not last long. Definitely a great set, especially for the price. Hope this helps.

PS I don't travel too often but I do have kids who jump on the luggage hide in it and basically abused it. The luggage survived! LOL
11 comment| 361 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2015
I ordered this from the U.S. Virgin Islands in the Caribbean and my package came in a week and undamaged. All 4 pieces were in perfect condition all inside one another or rather all packed inside the largest of the 4. Material color matched exactly what is presented online with no discoloration or distortion. No un-seams, no scratches as with some reviews I saw and very thing looks in pretty good working condition. The carry on is also a standard size and the small duffel bag is pretty light weight and has a Velcro strap on the back to fasten onto the carry on if you so please. I've uplodded some pictures for anyone wondering.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2012
I was so impressed with the review by "SocraticMethod" and all the other positive reviews that I ignored "Maxwellhse" pics and review as a fluke occurance. Not so.
We just returned from our cruise and I am very sorry to have to say "DO NOT BUY THIS LUGGAGE!" The handle pulled off of 2 cases (largest & the carry-on) as the car service driver was taking them out of the trunk BEFORE the cruise. Sharp metal shards from where the handle broke cut his hand quite badly. The handles on the SIDE of the cases are strong, but the handles on top are attached by light metal clips that break easily. We used the side handles and telescoping handles to get the pieces on-board the ship. 4th day into the cruise, the zipper broke on the medium case's top outside pocket. Finally, the telescoping handle on the the carry-on broke in the airport coming home. All this happened the first time we used the pieces. I am very disappointed. Luckily for us,we are still w/in the return period. I just printed my return label.
on January 1, 2011
The price was great, the shipping was fast and it held up very well on our trip to Jamaica and back. I love the lining on the inside and it seems to be very tough. Buy it!
0Comment| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2011
The US Traveller New Yorker 4-piece luggage set (Red) looks awesome. It actually isn't as bright as it appears online, and comes with a pleasant mix of red and black, which makes it look really elegant. I can take it for work related travel as much as for holidays. The finishing, stitches, material and zippers all look very neat and professional - not at all cheap quality like a lot of online reviews indicated. I will be travelling to India from Seattle next month, and have a lot of domestic travel in India (by air, road and train) so I'm sure I will be testing the durability of this product, which I plan to report back on this website after my travel. The prices on Amazon and ebags were comparable but I actually ended up buying from ebags since it came with free shipping and no taxes (so saved a bit there too).

UPDATE on 11/13/2011 (Based on India travel experience): We used these for our India trip this summer and they were VERY DURABLE and reliable. Seattle->Bangalore (International flight with 1 hop) -> Goa (road trip during monsoons) -> Delhi (domestic flight) -> Dehradun (Train) -> Delhi -> Seattle (1 hop Flight). Not a single problem. I would recommend this to anyone in a heartbeat. I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND buying this if you are looking for one. I'm extremely happy with this purchase.
33 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2015
The worst set of luggage I've ever owned! Two broken handles after one trip. Do not waste your money!
review image review image
on January 4, 2013
I should've stuck by the saying, "you get what you pay for" because that is definitely the case with this luggage. This luggage is NOT for airplane travel! Let me say that again - do NOT buy this for air travel! One trip with one stop each way - which means the luggage was only handled 4 times - and 2 straps are broken and the "ruggedized" portion is separating from the material. One strap broke in my hand and cut my finger so bad that I needed butterfly stitches...and this happened the morning of the trip as I was loading the car...needless to say, I was very upset!
I will be returning this luggage!
on February 17, 2012
As an Amazon prime member, I was impressed with the efficient manner in which I received my luggage set. Additionally, the price for this set was more than reasonable. However, being a new luggage set, it is simply inexcusable for one of my pieces of luggage to completely fall apart on a flight from Oklahoma City to West Palm Beach. I understand that checked-in baggage endures abuse from airline staff. But, this was NEW and arrived to West Palm Beach with a large rip down the seamline. All my belongings were exposed and thankfully nothing fell out. Upon further inspection, the seamline to many parts of the bag were coming undone. It will be an absolute inconvenience ensuring my bag arrives back home safely. Despite the warranty, I highly doubt I will ever do business with this company again. Do yourself a favor and think twice before purchasing this set!
77 comments| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2015
This Travelers Choice luggage set is a home run if you have realistic expectations. I toiled over which set to buy and went cross-eyed reading all the mixed bag reviews. After much deliberation, and thanks in part to a sale, I settled on this set (actually bought two sets ). Here is a breakdown of what all the other reviews taught me, a synopsis of our experiences with this luggage and a helpful hint to increase the look and durability of these suitcases:

First off, the luggage looks very upscale; the front side is vibrantly colored (in this case royal blue), and the tightly woven fabric has good fit & finish. There are two metal zipper pulls on each compartment which is convenient, however the zippers themselves and the pull attachments are adequate but not of superior durability. The bags are generously sized, deeper than our previous (Atlantic brand) set and this allows the bags to swallow a lot more stuff yet remain portable.
The insides are fully lined and contain straps to secure the contents. While the lining is thin and not the highest quality, it is a nice feature on a set in this price range; our previous set cost twice as much fifteen years ago and had no lining.
Each of the pull pieces have two nicely functioning wheels and an expandable handle to let you drag the bag behind; you can even attach the duffel bag onto an extended handle via a back strap. Speaking of the handles- although none of them have given out on us yet, these handles are a bit awkward to use and will possibly be the first things to act up as they are the flimsiest part of this luggage set. The farther you telescope them out, the more likely they are to break under the weight of the bag, especially if the bags are filled.
A good HINT with which I can "pay it forward" is to Scotchguard Fabric them prior to using. I picked up a can and sprayed the sets prior to use and that five dollar investment helped these bags avoid all sorts of staining and discoloring at the hands of the baggage claim.
Overall, this set was a terrific buy for my families needs and should be the same for most casual travelers as well.
Again, have realistic expectations from what a set of this price should deliver and I think you will be pleased. I posted a few pics of this luggage set so you can visualize what they look like and how they all fit or "nest" together during storage. Should there be any noteworthy experiences (good or bad) as we use them in the future, I will be sure to update. Good luck.

UPDATE: 7/2016: After several more uses, this luggage set continues to function well and look very nice. The handles I mocked in my initial write up still feel a bit flimsy but they are holding up fine. The only other minor issue we have seen is that the metal skeleton between the lining and the outer fabric that helps keep the suitcase's shape is stretching the fabric in the corners of some of the pieces...it is not yet effecting the performance but it looks a bit unsightly on the black bottom-side of some of the pieces. No big deal and I continue to be impressed with this set.
review image review image review image