Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 10, 2005
The morning before I went on vacation I was flipping through the Best Buy flyer from the Sunday paper and Courtney's album caught my eye. I'd never actually heard of her before but I decided to remember her name and look it up online when I returned. 4 days later I did just that. I think I listened to about 20 seconds of one of her songs and I knew immediatly that I had to have this album. I went out and bought it today and I haven't been disappointed. Though I've only listened to this CD about 3 times I'll do my best to pick fave songs. I really love the first single "Can't Behave". I also really like "Permanent", "Time for Goodbye" and "This is the Day" which is my fave off the album thus far. I love all of the songs though. I reccomend this album to people who like Anna Nalick and Michelle Branch. Don't waste your time. Buy this CD now. Who knows. "Tomorrow could be taken away" (This is the Day).
on June 22, 2005
There was a time not too long ago that relevant and influential female singer songwriters were very successful at commercial radio - Sheryl Crowe, Traci Chapman, Indigo Girls, Sarah McLachlan, Melissa Ethridge and Shawn Colvin come to mind. Their prominence was symbolized by the success of the Lilith Fair tours in the late 90's. Then the industry turned to male hard rock bands and young female pop performers (Britney, Christina, etc. etc.) Now, it seems the sun is shining on a new generation of female singer songwriters (perhaps because of the success of John Mayer and Jason Mraz, the male counter parts). Courtney Jaye's "Travelling Light" is a great example. Courtney has an amazing voice and a collection of highly intriguing songs that merge lyrics with a distinct point of view with music full of evolved melodies and killer pop hooks.

"Can't Behave" is an upbeat, hand clapping, rant about a boyfriend who is not quite worth the trouble (a theme throughout the record). Co-written with Gary Louris of the Jayhawks, it sounds like a modern mix of Steeler's Wheel and early Sheryl Crowe. "Lose My Head", the opening track, is a signer songwriter working the Kelly Clarkson vein of pop --the chorus is reminiscent of vintage 60's girl group melodies and harmonies - the emotional pay off is undeniable. "Permanent" is a moving song about a failing relationship, the doubts about the permanence of love that ensue and the realization that change is the only constant. The recording is an acoustic rock blockbuster with a guitar lead that rips at the emotional threads of the song in a manner reminiscent of John Lennon in his Plastic Ono phase. "Mental" is a beautiful ballad about self realization - namely that an idealic relationship comes a cost: ones identity can be lost in the bliss. The last song on the album, "Love Me" co-written with Matthew Sweet, is an affirmation of love, despite the turmoil chronicled throughout the album. "I ride every wave, and I won't look to the shore, if you love me." One gets the sense that Courtney Jaye has arrived and is not going away.
on August 3, 2006
Don't let a few bad reviews fool you! This is easily one of the best albums out there! There's not a bad song in the bunch! And Courtney Jaye is easily one of best and most original singer/songwriters around also! And she's worked with some of the best in the business to create this musical masterpiece! This is nothing like the average pop music you hear, It has more of a hawaiian sound on some songs, I noticed that the first time i heard it! She calls it rootsy/exotic/alt/pop on her myspace page! That's one of the things i like most about the album! Plus the songs are all so fun, catchy, and dreamy, and she has such a great singing voice, i just can't get enough of it! And there's something for everyone to like! I really love all of the songs so much! But if i had to pick any favorites probably" Time For Goodbye" "This Is The Day" "Love me" and "Hanalei Road" to name a few! So please buy this album and listen to the whole thing, with an open mind, and listen more than once! If you're anything like me and really like great music that's different than the usual dull boring music you're used to hearing, I know you'll love it as much as i do! Courtney Jaye is one very talented artist that has real staying power! She's already finished her next album so that's proof of that! And from what i've heard of it, it's great also! I know she certainly has a life long fan in me!
on June 7, 2005
I've known Courtney on somewhat of a personal level ever since she was a waitress at Smith's Olde Bar here in Atlanta. She would perform in the open mic competitions and always did extremely well. I would always go to see her performances, because...well...face it...she's hot, and she can sing...WELL. And I had always wondered why no one in the biz had caught on to her before. Then she gets a meeting with L.A. Reid. He's so impressed that he offers her a deal on the spot. Now...to the record. Now, I'm not usually one for chicky alt-country-poppy music, but I do like this album. Very easy to listen to, even for someone like me who prefers heavier, guitar-driven rock & roll. "Can't Behave" is an obvious hit. It's easy to HEAR why the female audience will like her, and it's easy to HEAR (sexy voice) and SEE (the obvious) why the male audience will as well. She's doing this the right way, and L.A. Reid is behind her 100%, so expect big things from Ms. Jaye.
on March 27, 2006
Traveling light is Courtney Jaye's best album so far. Her unique soft rock sound is really made evident on this CD. It was produced by Gal (Gala) Asher an excellent choice. With a mix of uptempos and smooth ballads, Courtney Jaye easily tops her previous albums.
on June 15, 2006
20 something Courtney Jaye has a soulfull voice and her songs are more folksy than pop. To me, she sounds like a mix between Carrie Underwood and Norah Jones - with a little bit of Sheryl Crow mixed in. Her music will probably appeal more to older listeners, but some catchy tunes like 'Cant Behave' and 'Mental' will surely appeal to younger listeners as well.

The best songs on the album include 'Cant Behave', 'Lose My Head', 'Can You Sleep' and 'Mental'. This album has something for everyone. It's calming and fun at the same time.

Courtney Jaye is surley a great new artist and i cant wait for the next album.
on January 8, 2012
I loved the album...unique voice...looking for other albums by this artist...I did preview the album via Amazon.com; but as you probably know yourself; the 30 secs of music doesn't compare to the 3+ minutes that typically represents each song..
on March 23, 2008
You know how they say 'Never Judge A Book By It's Cover'? Well, I always do that. Not in LIFE, but when it comes to actual books, or magazines or CD's, I always do that. And that's why I bought Courtney Jaye's album. She looked interesting.

Well, the album is actually really good - so I guess judging the CD by it's cover payed off. Her voice is good, her songs are good an she's a marketable artist. What's not to like?

Standout songs include 'Lose My Head', 'Mental', 'Can You Sleep' and 'Cant Behave'.
on April 9, 2007
I first heard Hanalei Road on Yahoo Launchcast, and fell in love with the song. As I've done before, I went ahead and purchased the CD based on this one track. But unlike many other times I've done this, this time I wasn't disappointed. Yes, at first listen the tracks on this CD have a pop sound, but there's both a depth and quirkiness both to her music and lyrics that goes beyond pop. A number of the songs stick with you, and there's a nice variety of tracks. I look forward to her second album.
on June 10, 2005
She is one of the most original voices in pop music right now. The album is sublime and beautiful. "Hanalei Road" will go down as one of my all time favorite songs.