5.0 out of 5 stars Mercies? Me, Oh My!
I had no idea what to expect in this, my first encounter with Anne Lamott. The wide assortment of reviews convinced me to purchase the book--plus, the idea of reverence paired with irreverence, since we can all use a little humor to season the subjects that matter most...that therefore become so stinkin' divisive! Wow! When I'm not laughing at Anne's great writing...
Published on April 15, 2000 by Eric Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Raw, Real and Religious?
As a word of warning, this book is full of crass and offensive language and situations. You will not find someone pretending that everything is okay, but freely admitting the painful details of her life. Lamott has suffered through many trials in her past including early and frequent promiscuity and abortion, heavy drug use, financial problems, alcoholism, bulimia, and...
Published on March 20, 2005 by DannyB

‹ Previous | 135 36 3748 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, endearing, enlightening, April 6, 1999
By A Customer
All this author's work moves with a grace and wit that makes life's defining moments sharper and more poignant, but this one is the best yet. Finding faith today is hard, but Traveling Mercies gets you there in riveting style. Only book better than this right now is "Everyday Naked" by Bartnikowski.

4.0 out of 5 stars Faith even an atheist can love., July 21, 2003
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
Anne Lamott's writings on faith are so gentle and simple, even old cynics and non-believers -- like myself -- are charmed and enlightened. If you're an atheists and think you may find yourself in a foxhole, take this book with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ FOR EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANS, July 10, 1999
JB (Duncannon, PA) - See all my reviews
As a conservative, male, Evangelical Christian, I am concerned that my church is too willing to let people like a lost Anne Lamott drown and too content to preach to the choir. Anne's concern to win the lost is obvious from her concerns about her son's salvation mentioned near the end of the book. But clearly she is sensitive to the knowledge that feminists would quickly toss the book in the trash upon a hint of evangelism, an attribute that makes it easy for most Evangelicals to look the other way as lost liberals flounder through life. I wish she had consulted more on "religious principles" with members of her own congregation because they are the reason Anne is alive and able to write a book that can save many thousands like her. My opinion that most liberals simply can't see or just refuse to see the "big picture" was evident in Anne's analysis of Houston as a broken city based on the poor quality of taxi drivers and cash register clerks when actually this is a sign of a city living the conservative-led American dream.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book was not for me, September 6, 2004
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
I found this book to be lacking the insights I was seeking. Anne Lamott's life is simply not that inspiring. True, she is a recovering addict who is also a single mom. True, she is a writer. But I didn't find any insights into the nature of God or faith in this book that I felt would qualify Lamott to teach me anything about God I couldn't learn from my own life or my own prayer.

5.0 out of 5 stars liberating, hilarious, serious, selfish, real., May 14, 1999
By A Customer
I have not laughed out loud while reading since Mad magazine as a child. On the other hand, no spiritual guide has affected my thinking about how we learn to relate to God like Lamott. My best excuses for salvation-procrastination are now exposed and no longer valid. Thank you, Anne!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lily Pad Metaphor, May 27, 1999
This book has advanced me to the second lily pad on my own path of spritual understanding. I hung on every word. The best part was the gut-wrenching honesty. I could relate to every experience and I mean every experience. She wrote about my life! Thank- you Annie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting spiritual journey, April 27, 2003
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
This book trace the spiritual journey of Anne Lamott. What I found most interesting was the level of honesty that she put down on paper. She presented her information without commentary or too much generalization, that is what the reader is supposed to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly inspiring and heart warming, March 13, 1999
In these confusing and often depressing times it's wonderful to read something so beautiful. Ms. Lamott entertained me with her previous fictional work but this little book will do alot more than entertain. Thank you,thank you God for inspiring Ms. Lamott.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Glad This Lady Decided to Write Books, April 15, 2000
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
A wonderful, inspiring, witty look at her experiences, her flaws, her fears and her coming to understand that God loves her. She is a lovely soul and just the like that lost sheep Christ spoke of. She makes me smile, and I'm sure she makes Jesus smile. What a gift she is, and I thank her for sharing.
By the way I must comment on a couple of the reviewers' observations. This book is a compilation of autobiographical sketches. I can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but complaining that an autobiography is about the author is a bit strange. I was also interested in the lady who was in the hospital and Jesus didn't visit her, therefore, Annie was making it all up. Ah, the powers of deductive reasoning. I never wrote a symphony, ergo, neither did Beethoven. Finally, am I the only one who thinks perhaps that person claiming to be an "English lit prof" from Cornell is diddling with the truth? If he is, indeed, who he claims, I strongly urge him carefully review his "Strunk and White" before he attempts another review or teaches another class.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "everyman" story for the end of the first millenium, August 7, 1999
By A Customer
Finally, a connection to others through stories which speak of pain and joy and humanhood. When I finished reading , I mailed this book to my best friend.because now there is a document that captures what I could never articulate.

‹ Previous | 135 36 3748 | Next ›

Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott (Paperback - February 15, 2000)
$15.95 $9.25