Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 13, 2007
This is an excellent introductory German history for the newcomer, and a good review for the history student. The book wastes no pages. Even though the information on each subject is brief and to the point, this small paperback of roughly 325 pages seems to cover EVERYTHING from the earliest days to 2006. It assumes no previous study of German history, so you won't have to look up random surnames referencing people the author expects you to be familiar with. The book has a complete list of rulers from the Holy Roman Empire (beginning with Karl die Grosse) to the Democratic Republic, a chronology of major events, and maps for every major period (12 total). Based on my search for texts on German history in English, I can say that this small volume contains more information than can be found in the somewhat popular history by Hagen Schultze, which is also available on Amazon. If German history remotely interests you, this is where to begin.

PS: This book is the closest thing to what I have been looking for, a huge 500+ page or so complete history of Germany in English. If anyone knows if such a thing exists, please post a comment for this review. Thank you.
on September 1, 2013
I recently became interested in the history of Germany and looked for this as an introductory text. This book is written in an interesting and catchy manner (for a history book anyway) and will keep you entertained for hours. I learned all the basics eras of German history without a lot of effort. Of course that if you would like to go deeper into any part of their history you will have to look for more profound books. This will do if you just want to know the basics, of if you will travel to Germany and are looking for what to find there.
Also I found the book to be quite unbiased (except for the Nazi part, which is hard to find a book not biased about this). Good historicism with little judgement.
on April 1, 2012
This is the second in the Traveller's History books I've read this year, and I still don't quite get the link between the history and the travelling. It's really a concise history, with little consideration given to readers actually travelling through the country.

Not a problem, as I last went to Germany in 2000 and I won't be going there for a few more years. I wanted to read a concise history as I enjoy...short history books! The author covers Germany's history without too much fuss, but it is the 18th century onwards that brings out the best in the writing. I like historical anecdotes and character studies of those who made the country what it is, and we see Wilhem II, Bismark, Gustav Stresemann and Hitler in some detail. The Prussian influence on the last two centuries is significant, and you realise why the Nazi party became so popular after past military and economic glories had faded.

The series can be a little dry, and some of the earlier chapters are a bit of a struggle, but the language is accessible and the history not overly dense. A fascinating country, for sure.
on September 12, 2015
This was really a good read to have on hand as we were traveling through Germany. It helped us understand what the common people had been through over the centuries. My husband and I had many great conversations as we read the book together.
on November 10, 2008
A good, consise history of Germany, but can be a little daunting to read. Reads more like one of my lawschool textbooks than a history of a country. Oh well, it makes up for that in the level of detail.
on November 8, 2011
I will be traveling to Germany soon and I wanted to learn about the history of the areas I will be visiting. This book is perfect for this. Thank you
on August 27, 2010
I expected this book to give a brief history of the larger cities in Germany. It turned out to be a history book with too much detail. I had planned to take the book with me to Germany for references, but gave it away instead. I would label this book "A brief history of Germany", too long for travelers.
on April 2, 2015
Excellent book. Fine service. Thanks.