4.0 out of 5 stars Catchy, savoury and exuberant. It is a good first effort.
Vanessa Brown has been tipped for big things this year and her debut album "Travelling Like the Light" is the perfect introduction to her sound.
The tall, gorgeous, retro-styled black Londoner is a throwback chanteuse jostling for position in the wake of Amy Winehouse and Duffy.
She has an appealingly old-school quirkiness.
Her confident mash up of Fifties...
Published on August 3, 2009 by Jazz for the dappers

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit-or-miss quality
I discovered V.V. Brown while searching around the web one day, and after listening to a few of her singles (Crying Blood/Shark in the Water/Game Over), I had high expectations. The remainder album, though, failed to deliver the same quality. Frankly, three awesome songs on an album for a new artist I consider to be well worth the purchase - just don't get your hopes up...
Published on October 26, 2009 by Scott McClure

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Catchy, savoury and exuberant. It is a good first effort., August 3, 2009
This review is from: Travelling Like the Light (Audio CD)
She has an appealingly old-school quirkiness.
Her confident mash up of Fifties doo-wop and girl group styles with modern pop and indie attitude conjures up a hugely colourful, almost Eighties-flavoured novelty exuberance.
The album offers up some fine moments and paints Brown as a talented songwriter, an inventive producer and a singer capable of everything from playful shrieks (the album's opener and old school R&B number "Quick Fix") to hushed, soulful intimacy ("I Love You"), and "Leave", a delicious pop pastiche that you could well imagine The Pipettes performing.
It is a bright, bold and often likeable affair, covering the retro spectrum from soulful love ballads to finger-popping rockabilly jives, as if judiciously ticking off a checklist of bygone styles to pastiche.
It's a bit urban, a bit poppy and a bit soulful. This means though, it lacks the heart that Winehouse herself delivers on Back to Black.
The catchy single "Shark in the Water" has a rocky edge but shows signs of having been processed for mainstream ears, while "Crying Blood", whose title belies its charming retro-pop nature, has been massively over-tweaked.
Overall, it is a good first effort, Vanessa can consider herself proud as she has the lungs to keep you away from pushing the stop button, though you can't ignore her record's shortcomings, the material is trying to please too many people and overproduction is a recurring problem.
Still, there's a lot to enjoy in Vanessa Brown's debut.
With this album, VV Brown proves that it's not just her hairstyle that stands out.
The woman's got talent!
We Are the Pipettes

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the future!, July 21, 2009
This review is from: Travelling Like the Light (Audio CD)
Vanessa Brown is striking 6" tall model and UK soul-stress VV Brown and "Travelling like the light" is her debut CD. Despite having worked with acts like Pussycat Dolls and Sugababes, her sound is a strong throwback to Fifties/Sixties girl groups like The Shangri-Las, Shirelles, etc, think Macy Gray meets Amy Winehouse. Loads of harmonies, shimmery guitars, horns, and swinging songs.

Opening cut "Quick fix" is a slice of shimmery swinging Pop with drum rolls at intervals, squiggly electronic effects, and an almost Rapped bridge which works very well. "Game over" is more contemporary sounding R&B but still with a retro-Soul edge (and sung in her lower register), while single "Crying blood" is Rockabilly-tinged Do Wop in her best Macy Gray drawl.

Much of the lyrics are about falling in love, or out of love, and every song is superb, from the shimmery "Leave" (in which she gives her man the heave-ho, it appears he's in love with another chap), the lilting string-speckled "Bottles", "L.O.V.E." (Sixties Rock & Roll), the swinging and irresistible Big Band Jazz-meets-Pop "Everybody" (a call for unity among our diversity with nice ringing tambourine, claps, and drumrolls), and the jangly "Shark in the water".

For ballads, there's the melodramatic "Back in time", the piano driven Jazzy "I love you" (her phrasing here reminiscent of Lauryn Hill's, and a corny chorus of "I love you you you.."), "Crazy amusing" (a truly beautiful sing-along with its tune nicked from the 1938 classic "Heart & soul"), and title track the heartfelt "Travelling at the speed of light" (truly gorgeous sounding piano ballad with hushed harmonies, you could imagine this being used in some slow dance scene in the movie "Grease").

VV Brown is an artist that refuses to be pigeonholed (shunning R&B, Rihanna or Beyoncé-style) and with a debut this striking, I'm sure she'll be around for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, July 31, 2009
S. Reed (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Travelling Like the Light (Audio CD)
I first learned of V.V. Brown from a blog post and I've been waiting for months for the album to become available. I finally got it and it is A-MA-ZING!!!! Every song is a hit, and it's been a long time since I've bought an album where I liked EVERY song, let alone the majority of them. My absolute favorites are Leave!, Crying Blood, Back in Time, and Everybody. Britain has been producing the best music for a while now, and for those who can't get enough of classic soul/doo-wop music and the likes of newer artists such as Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Adele, and Daniel Merriweather will appreciate this new amazing artist!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, July 2, 2010
I bought the album based on hearing Shark in the Water on the radio - and I wasn't disappointed. There are some great tracks on here with a wonderful retro "wall of sound" feel to some. VV Brown is a talented songstress - looking forward to seeing what else she produces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good pop album, August 16, 2009
British Commentator (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Travelling Like the Light (Audio CD)
This album is a very good album, aimed at the pop market. It is mainly full of uplifting danceable vocal pop tracks. There are a few ballads in the middle, and then the very strong House track "Everybody" near the end.
Mostly the verses have meaningful lyrics, and the choruses contain strong musical hooks.
Even though it is pop, it is certainly not "kiddie-pop", and would be appreciated by a 20's and 30's crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY AMAZING!, October 6, 2010
One of the, if not the,(second to Amy Winehouse), BEST albums I've EVER listened to. I saw her live in Pittsburgh with Kris Allen and Maroon 5 and she ROCKED the stage. I HIGHLY recommend giving her a listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy W? Meet VV!, August 22, 2010
I saw VV Brown perform on David Letterman, liked what I heard, so I thought I'd take a chance on Travelling Like the Light. So glad I did! If you like that London female singer '60s reminiscent sound (Noisettes, Duffy, Sharlene Spiteri, Amy Winehouse), you'll LOVE VV Brown! Every track is great. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars she should win best new artist, August 14, 2010
This is the best cd I've bought in a while!! Can't stop listening to it!! She's such a refreshing breath of fresh talent in such a talentless music industry!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cd, August 5, 2010
I bought this cd based on the reviews I read on Amazon after hearing a piece of one song on a local news show. That was 'Shark in the Water'. I have listened to the cd about 6 or 7 times in the past 2 weeks and I like it more each time I hear it. Not a single song that I skip over and I especially like 'Bottles'. And now I recognize the song 'L.O.V.E.' from the Hellman's mayo commercial on tv. I hope we hear much more from her in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Travelling Like the Light, July 18, 2010
Geminigirl (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I decided to get this album after seeing her video for SHARK IN THE WATER & seeing her perform on a late night show. I thought it was such a catchy song and couldn't wait to hear more. V.V.'s album reminds me of Anjulie's which I also found addictive & fun to listen to.

This album has a retro vibe and although some of the tracks deal with her break-up, they aren't at all depressing or make me sad while listening.

My standout tracks are:

I LOVE YOU - very moody
L.O.V.E. - very upbeat catchy track
GAME OVER - love the horns & hectic musical arrangement
CRAZY AMAZING - has a girl group doo wop arrangement
EVERYBODY
TRAVELLING LIKE THE LIGHT - dreamy song

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Travelling Like the Light
Travelling Like the Light by V.V. Brown (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies