4.0 out of 5 stars Well organized and secure purse
Published on May 9, 2010 by Security minded traveler

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Purse
Published 19 months ago by Cookie

4.0 out of 5 stars Well organized and secure purse, May 9, 2010
Received the bag approximately 2 weeks ago. It has already become my daily purse. I purchased the black color. While the outside is black, the interior is a pretty light blue color. This makes it easier to find needed items. The medium size of the bag, is perfect to store all of my necessary daily or day trip items. The fabric the bag is constructed of is durable. It also easily wipes clean with a damp cloth. The purse is comfortable whether worn on the front or back of your body. This is because the strap length is very long. I'm 6 ft tall and the strap is long enough to allow me to wear the bag cross-body comfortably. However, if you're shorter, the strap can be easily adjusted to fit your height also. Further, even with the cut proof cable, the bag is lightweight, not heavy.

The bag's features are great. It has two expandable side pockets. These are perfect to hold an umbrella or a full-sized water bottle. There are 3 different compartments. The back compartment has 8 credit card slots, a pen slot and a cell phone slot. This section also includes a little penlight that snaps into place. If you don't chose to use the light, you can remove it and put keys on the light/keyring instead. The snap secures the keys/light so that they are easy to locate. The middle compartment is the largest. This section has a pen slot and 4 varying sized areas to hold travel sized tissue packets, cell phones, passports or various sized electronic devices. The last compartment is under the front flap. It is a medium sized pocket. All 3 compartments are secured by zipper snaps. Additionally, the front section is secured by both a zipper snap and a magnetic flap. Overall the purse is very well organized.

There are however, several areas for improvement. There's a carabiner that secures one side of the strap. This must have some useful security purpose that I'm unaware of. That being said, I just find a carabiner on the strap strange looking. There's no small zippered section in either the main compartment or the credit card area. This would be very useful for holding either small items or coins. The credit card area doesn't have a spot for holding bills. None of the 3 compartments has a headphone port. That feature would have allowed you to use an MP3 player, while keeping it safely tucked inside the purse. When worn for a long period of time, the strap can feel a little rough on your shoulders and sometimes slips. The snaps on the zipper pulls can be cumbersome to use. It's sometimes difficult and time consuming to get into and out of the purse. However, I'm not sure that this is truly a negative feature, as I purchased the bag for it's security features. Therefore, if it takes me a little extra time to access items, it would be impossible for pick-pockets to do so.

Overall, Travelon has created an attractive, secure, well organized and useful travel or daily bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated version is pretty much PERFECT, January 23, 2013
UPDATE - 5/12/14 - The new purse arrived --- with almost all of my concerns (see review below) addressed! The new fabric is much heavier and stiffer than the old, though still not as finely woven as PacSafe. The carabiner is now attached to the purse with shoulder strap material so it's no longer a weak point :-) The shoulder strap is stiff enough that it no longer slides after I adjust it. I've kept my keys in the flapped pocket all this time, so I am no longer concerned about having a key strap. The zipper clips are more aesthetically pleasing and harder to open than the original ones. AND they've redesigned the pockets to add RFID protection !! 5 stars for the new version :-)

UPDATE - 5/7/14 - I've used and loved this bag every day for the last 15 months (3 months longer than the warranty), but it's now coming apart at one of the seams --- the fabric is so coarsely woven, it's shredding. Still, after looking at alternative anti-theft purses, I am ordering another one --- the $40 I paid for it amortizes to $2.67 per month, well worth it to have a bag that works so well. But it's now a firm 4 star (not 4.5) in my book.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of 3 anti-theft bags I have ordered. The 1st, a PacSafe Metrosage Gii 100 Sling-Hip Bag is nice, but SMALL and few organizing options. The 3rd, for my mother, is the PacSafe Citysafe 100 Petite Handbag, which is a convenient size with an anti-RFID pocket, but has no outside pockets, credit card organizers, etc. and certainly no place for a water bottle.

This one is perfect in size and design --- NOT the 12 x 18 x 20 listed on Amazon --- more like 11.5 x 10 x 4.5. I love the many pockets and numerous other organizing features, as others have described. A full size (17 oz.) water bottle will fit in the expandable side pockets. You can run earbud wires from inside to outside by not totally closing the zippers --- they will lock anti-theft-wise with a tiny gap of open zipper. The bag is also very lightweight, but a little wrinkly at the seams.

However, I have only given it 4 stars for several reasons:

1) The anti-theft wire netting does NOT include the two large outside zip pockets. I've never had a purse slashed so I don't know if it matters, but it would have been nice if they had made the whole thing mesh-protected.

2) The outer material and inner lining are both looser-woven, thinner, cheaper fabric than either PacSafe bag and the shoulder strap only has one wire in it vs 2 for PacSafe bags. Overall, the bag's quality of construction is not as good as the PacSafe bags, though the design is much better. I wonder if it will look scruffy in a couple of years like my other Travelon purse.

3) The carabiner is attached to the bag with a meagre 3/8" nylon strap, which might break if someone gave the purse a really hard yank --- I "fixed" the situation by adding stitching to help support the carabiner and I think it's now sturdy enough. I added stitching to keep the strap from slipping, as another reviewer had suggested.

4) There is no key clip, which surprised me, though it's not enough to lose a star over...

Despite these concerns, this is still the best, safest, most practical daily handbag I've ever owned. If I could give it 4.5 stars, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful All Around Purse, January 15, 2010
This review is from: Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag (Apparel)
I purchased this bag after buying several other handbags that just were not quite right. I love it!

This bag opens from the top so there is no hassling with a flap. It is tougher than it looks too. The brown color looks almost gold. There are hooks on every zipper to secure the zippers for security, but they do not have to be latched.

I was worried about the zipper pulling out but it seems to be sewn in very well. Better than most bag I have ordered recently.

I store my wallet, my Kindle 2, kindle attachments and cords, and various necessary items I always leave home with. I can practically stuff the bag and still zip it closed.

This is a wonderful mid-range sized, all around bag. I lkee it so much I may order another in black!

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it more than I thought I would!, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag (Apparel)
I'm actually Randy's wife--I just used his account for the purchase! I ordered this bag for my trip to NYC this week and also for my daughter to use when she tours Europe next summer. Originally I liked it for the security features, but I was a little disappointed in the appearance. It definitely doesn't look like a purse! It is nylon and has more of a mini computer bag look to it. But after using it all week walking all over New York City, I now LOVE this bag and will probably use it for every vacation I take. What I like most about it is that it has numerous slots, pockets, and compartments for everything, so it's easy to keep things organized and find them when needed. It also seems pretty small on the outside, but it could hold so much! Every time I thought it was full, I'd try stuffing one more thing in, and it would fit!

The items I carried around with me all week in this bag: In the back zippered compartment--various credit cards, driver's license, Metro Card (for the subway), passes and tickets. There is also a pocket which would fit a passport, but I didn't need mine this trip. They were pretty easy for me to get to, but would have been very hard for a pickpocket to try to take. In the front, flap pocket (the flap has a magnet to keep it closed and there is a zipper under it. It doesn't look exactly like the picture, but similar) I carried my guidebook, subway map, brochures, large tickets, and a small notepad. These items were used often, and were easy to get to. In the inside, main zippered compartment: My small, point-and-shoot camera, my cell phone, a tube of lip balm, a travel-sized tube of sunscreen, and a pen (all in their own easily-accessible pockets), and then in the bottom of the main compartment, a small wallet-sized bag, which holds pills, nail clippers, eye drops and other personal items, a tube of lotion, a travel-pack of tissues, and a folded up plastic bag for carrying purchases (I never ended up using it!). They all fit in the very bottom, which left a good amount of room at the top of this main compartment for both mine and my husband's sunglasses or small souvenirs. In the vertical pockets on the ends of the bag, I could carry a full-size water bottle in each, or sunglasses, or a travel-size umbrella. I found that I never wanted for more room in the bag.

I felt like the bag was very comfortable to wear around, and even fully loaded, wasn't too heavy. When walking a long distance, I liked to slide the bag around to rest on the back of my hips/my behind. That seemed to take all the weight off my upper back. But when I needed anything, it was really easy to slide it around to the front and get at anything quickly. Since I was wearing the bag everywhere, I didn't have to worry about remembering to take it with me when I left, and I could get to things in the bag one-handed if needed. I am about 5'7" and did not loosen the strap all the way to wear it comfortably across my body. There was plenty of room to make it shorter or longer. I didn't find the cable in the strap uncomfortable at all. I liked how flat the bag was against my body. I never felt like it was bulky or in the way.

The fabric looks very durable, easy to wipe off, and, as mentioned in other reviews, the light blue inside makes things easy to see. I highly recommend this bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Purse, July 9, 2009
I purchased this bag to take to Europe for a 3-week vacation. It was quite comfortable over my shoulder and across my body. With all the extra hooks in addition to the zippers and snaps, I thought it might be a pain to use but it wasn't. Even on the metro in Paris where pick-pocketing is a frequent crime, I felt pretty confident that the crooks would have to make a serious effort to get to my money. The inside space of the bag was just right for traveling as I should not have carried more than it allowed anyway. My favorite part was being able to carry water bottles in the side pockets that expanded. I would highly recommend this bag to carry abroad or daily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Purse, January 7, 2013
Cookie (colorado springs, CO, US) - See all my reviews
The bag is a very nice bag and is well made. The only issue I have is that is it much smaller than the description posted with the product on Amazon. It is probably manageable for trips into areas that are high crime areas, but not as an everyday purse. The size is roughly 10X14X2. On the plus side it has lots of pockets and the fact that I can carry a water bottle in the side pocket is very convenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a purse, June 12, 2012
Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger BagI had tried to rig up some functional and comfortable combinations to carry my stuff through airports, on trains and buses, and along rough streets, but they all failed me. They slipped and flopped and slowed me down. What to do? Well, maybe more than less. I ordered four--yes, four--types of bags that might fit over my suitcase handle and trundle along neatly. Three of them have gone back. The Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag stays. I tried it around town and then loaded it up for South America. It worked. Splendidly. I loaded my credit cards, a pen, my cell phone, a folding brush, my travel documents, glasses, tissues and gum. Oh yes, and my iPad. I just wish it had a section for money. I used a tiny wallet. I carried my water bottles in the zip compartments. I clipped my miniature camera pouch to the carabiner, and I was good to go. Confession: I added an ergonomic should pad--perfect! Second confession: It didn't slip over my suitcase handle, but it traveled so easily on my shoulder that it didn't matter. It's a keeper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product dimensions not accurate!, September 14, 2013
This review is from: Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag (Apparel)
The actual product dimensions are totally different from the Amazon product dimension. Amazon product description:Product Dimensions: 12 x 18 x 20 inches.
Actual dimensions as received: 9 length x 10 inches tall x 2 wide with an adjustable length purse strap.

I have no idea how this bag could be called a "Messenger Bag." Messengers are supposed to carry documents; a standard 8.5 inch by 11 inch piece of paper would not fit in this "Messenger Bag" or it would have to be folded or crumpled.

1.0 out of 5 stars Traveling Anti-Theft Messenger Bag, July 12, 2013
I ordered this bag and used it on my 14 day trip through Italy. I loved it until the last day when the lock broke off the bag! So much for anti-theft! The bag was roomy and organized beautifully but the construction is disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all like pictured, August 7, 2013
When we received this bag, it was not at all like this picture. I t was actually a totally different bag, size, color, pockets... all different. When we contacted to return it, initially they were helpful and said they would get back to us w/the info to return. It was a week before i contacted again, and another 2 weeks after that. Very disappointed.

Travelon Anti-Theft Messenger Bag