Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD

on May 17, 2009
Quick review -
The Travelon passport case really does keep your RFID passport safe. It has plenty of room for credit cards, train tickets and admission tickets. The current (2009) Japan Rail Pass also slides easily into the pocket alongside your passport. The ballistic nylon material with (faux?) leather accent is low key, and won't draw the attention that a home made aluminum foil envelope or Prada wallet would. Perfect for any traveler with an RFID passport who doesn't want their identity stolen.

Details -

RFID passports have a serious defect - they can be read and possibly altered remotely. While this is difficult and expensive to do with today's technology, it can easily be done by people with sufficient motivation. In five year's time it will only be easier.

The correct way to defend against radio manipulation of your passport is with a Faraday Cage. An ideal Faraday cage completely encloses the object you want to protect, leaving no gaps.

I was concerned that this wallet would only pancake the RF read zone of my passport. When I arrived at NRT in Tokyo, the passport control officer was completely unable to read my passport without taking it completely out of my Travelon case. Future RFID sensors may still be able to snoop a passport in this case, but I'll be comfortable keeping my passport safely stored in its travelon case for the next few years.

Look up Bruce Schneier's blog for a deeper technical analysis on the pros and cons of the new RFID passports.
55 comments168 of 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Travelon RFID BLocking Passport Case is a well-made, attractive case - and, unfortunately, in today's world where unscrupulous individuals have devices to read RFID documents and steal personal information, a real necessity. This case is constructed of ballistic nylon and leather; all edges are encased by leather trim piping. This should provide protection from wear and tear on the corners which normally wear faster than other areas of similarly shaped items. Further, the corners are mitered which reduced bulk at those points. Additionally, this is a sign of quality construction since mitering takes more time and effort if the manufacturer wants to produce clean corners. The case's stitching is even and smooth; I noticed no loose threads or thread ends projecting to prick one when reaching for this case.

I liked the way one could slip the front and back covers of a passport into pockets on each side of the case. This holds the passport securely without having any pages contained so the passport must be removed for inspection. A ribbon marker in the center of the case can be used to "bookmark" the page containing the traveler's picture so that one does not have to page through the passport in order to locate the picture.

If one does not put credit cards into the case, along with a passport, the case is about 3/8" thick when closed; the actual passport is about 1/8" thick, so the case adds about 1/4" of bulk. In researching RFID blocking passport cases, the Travelon seemed to be the least bulky of those offered by trusted manufacturers and sellers. Personally, I do not like the idea of having my credit cards, driver's license, etc. in the same case as my passport and will probably purchase a second case in a different color to hold these items should the necessity arise.

I ordered my Travelon RFID Blocking Passport Case on a Tuesday night, selecting super-saver shipping, and received the case on Friday. Amazon's superior service is always something I can count on.
22 comments93 of 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2009
This passport case is simple and discreet. Don't carelessly reveal your nationality to strangers when traveling internationally. Added feature blocks unauthorized access to any passport or credit card with an RFID chip.
Passport slips securely inside case and allows immigration authorities to view or scan document without requiring the document to be removed. Room for several credit cards or business cards.
0Comment38 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2011
Bought this for my brand new passport, which passport boldly states on the last page inside "This document contains sensitive electronics. Do not bend..." Figures, as it's impossible to get the front and back covers of the passport inside this holder without bending the passport.

The holder has a 3/4" wide strip of clear plastic along the inside left cover of the holder, into which the front cover and the first page of the passport (your picture) are supposed to be inserted. The back cover of your passport, which has a barcode on it (meaning that it's meant to be read by a bar scanner) inserts under the holder's right inside sleeve for credit cards. To get whichever cover of your passport you last insert into the holder, you have to bend your passport. And as another reviewer has noted, if someone has to then read the barcode, you have to take the passport completely out, and then put it back in, bending the passport a couple more times to remove it and put it back.

Moreover, once you've got the passport in, and you close the holder and lay it on a flat surface, whichever cover is up doesn't close flat, but springs upright at about a 30 degree angle. Annoying.

The quality of the material of this thing looks good, but I fear for how long my passport will hold up inside this thing. I'll use it for my upcoming Thanksgiving travel abroad, and see how it goes, since for $13 and change it's not worth sending back. In short, a good product idea, and decent material, but not a great design.
22 comments26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2011
Does not fit the passport properly and could do with being a little bit bigger, especially if you have a passport with extra pages. As it is, I gave this one to my wife and we even struggled to get hers in there. Just too small as it does not allow for the cover to close completely. Not worth the hassle of returning either. I will look for another.
on November 26, 2012
I hate writing negative reviews and I don't give out one star lightly, but this product has defects which rendered it unusable. The slot for the passport is so tight that I could only maneuver mine in there with difficulty (US Passport), and having done so, the flap won't stay shut, making the whole RFID blocking feature problematic at best. I'd suggest resizing it and perhaps including a magnetic latch to make sure it stays closed. It's a pity, because the product is otherwise low profile and well-made. I'm returning it. I ended up purchasing a paper sleeve as a substitute. What I'd really like to see is a nylon sleeve that is more minimal than this product, without the additional flap or added space for credit cards.
11 comment16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2010
this is a good passport cover. the passport fits in it well and it looks nice. I have one problem with it I was going through security at the airport and it set off the medal detector had to put it through the x ray machine so be warned take your passport out of the cover or just send the whole thing through the x ray machine to save yourself some trouble. I imagine that since it has enough aluminum to set off a metal detector then it will do its job of preventing the RFID information to be read
22 comments16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
I have an international trip coming up in a month, and for my inaugural trip outside of the country I wanted to consolidate all of my documentation and money items into one wallet/carrier. I looked at the lanyard passport carriers and decided that I didn't really need something around my neck. I'm not a frequent flier, so something that can sit in my front/back pocket should be just fine. After looking at the several reasonably priced ($10-20) entry level carriers, I decided on the Travelon case/wallet.

Pros:
- The nylon with leather trim is nice. I didn't want a leather wallet to sweat against during my trip, and with all of the entry level wallets, all would suffer from cheap leather appearance. As a result, the wallet is generally handsome, and the leather parts don't look too bad (especially for the price).
- 5 card slots and an inside pocket that can hold folded bills/receipts. Card slots were easy to pull out/put in.
- While I didn't buy it for the RFID aspect, I can absolutely confirm that my unit works. I put my company building pass into the wallet, closed the flap, and the door receiver could not detect the card. When I opened the flap, it detected the RFID card just fine. Since this is going to sit in my pocket, the wallet will remain closed, effectively smothering the RFID signal.

Cons:
- The flap that holds the passport is a little thin. Since this wallet will sit in my pocket, I'm not worried about it falling out. But I imagine this would be disconcerting for the frequent flier.
- No clasp/flap to keep the wallet closed securely. Again, it will sit in my pocket, so no big deal. But I could see the appeal of having this.

If you were going to use this in a purse / loose bag, I would advise against this unit. If you plan on keeping this in your pocket, this is a great little travel wallet. I've posted some pictures for some additional visual reinforcement - I didn't realize it had a pocket under the cards, which is a big plus for me.
review image review image
on June 22, 2010
I think this is a good product to have now that our passports contain this new electronic chip inside. The only negative thing to say is that if you walk through the metal detector with this in your hand it will go off. Just put it on the x-ray belt and you'll be good to go.
on December 7, 2013
My new passport does not fit into this. I bought this in the summer in anticipation of my Christmas cruise. I just tried to fit my new US passport in it - and there is NO WAY my passport will fit into this thing. I hate it. ....and I'm outside the time to return it. Don't waste your money - you will only have to return it. I couldn't try this when I first got it because my new passport was being processed. By the time I got the passport - 6 weeks later, I didn't try it. My bad. Even if I had tried it, I would only have to return it! Buyer beware.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse