Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on April 2, 2013
I bought two of these carry-on bags, one in khaki and one in red. The quality was VERY different between the two. The Khaki was very poorly made! Loose threads everywhere, no extra heavy duty cloth on the bottom where it would be likely to get scuffed, a flimsy handle, a poor quality carry handle with an unfinished hem. Just really bad!
BUT, the RED bag was great! Just the opposite of the Khaki bag! I traveled throughout Europe for two weeks with only the red carry-on and the back-up bag. I did not have to ever check anything; even on really small planes! I could easily manage my own luggage. I did not need my husband to try and juggle both his luggage and mine. I could quickly collapse the handle and put the carry-on over my arm to run up and down stairs. The many pockets made it easy to organize my things and the way the front of the carry-on zips open and lays out, made it easy to find what I needed. I did use compression bags, but I was able to get everything I needed in the two pieces. So, I can highly recommend the red Carry-on but NOT the Khaki. I actually called Travelon and asked why there was such a difference between the quality of the luggage based on color. They said different colors are manufactured at different factories and the quality is not consistent between them. So beware! there is a major difference between the bags based on the color you choose! Look at the ?,s before the product description. I recommend that you roll over the pictures of various colors of this product. They are different The red one I have has a zipper pocket on the side opposite the bottle holder. Some do some don't. I purchased this bag the summer of 2012. I do not know if they have corrected these problems or not, but really look at the pictures before you buy.
22 comments293 of 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2014
Well-made, smart-looking bag. However, there's only about a 75% chance it will fit under any given seat in economy. After traveling extensively for a full year, I have yet to find a seat that it fits under easily, without having to be squished and shoved mightily (an entertaining spectacle for one's seatmates). Unfortunately this rough handling this leads to undue wear and tear on the bag, making it look beat-up well before a bag of its quality should with normal use. Additionally, when full the bag is a bit unwieldy and heavy for lifting into the overhead bin on the occasions where it doesn't fit under the seat. The back-up bag is smart-looking as well and has proven very useful; in fact I use it more often than the wheelie bag.

I wouldn't recommend this bag unless you are a strapping gentleman (or lady) who doesn't mind hoisting this into the overhead bins on the not-infrequent occasion that it doesn't fit under the seat, and is willing to deal with the inconvenience of shoving it under your seat on all other occasions.

Here's a chart of some common "under-seat" carry ons. Only the first three are true "under seat" bags for the purposes of the economy class traveler. The Eagle is the most reliable in terms of fitting under the greatest number of seats, however its smaller dimensions mean it can carry less things. Choose according to your personal preference:)

Eagle 13½"H, 13½"W, 8"T
Travelon 14"H 13.5"W x 8.5"T
Magellan 14¾"H, 12¼"W, 8¾"T

Samsonite 18½"H, 14¾"W, 7½"T
Hammacher Schlemmer 14¾'H, 15¾"W, 9¼"T
88 comments271 of 277 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2013
I just made my first trip with this bag and it worked wonderful for the need. Wish I had bought it sooner. I am an older woman and have trouble if I have to lift a carry-on bag to the storage above my seat and I also need items from the bag during flights. This bag fit comfortably under every one of the many flights I took on this trip. Plenty of storage room and also attractive luggage..
22 comments149 of 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2011
I ordered this piece for a few reasons: I was looking for a mid-price range piece, I wanted it to be under-the-seat friendly (I end up on quite a few small planes where average carry-ons are still too big), durability, and the tote bag was a nice bonus. I just got it in the mail and am very pleased thus far:
* Material seems durable, and has a nice feel, both inside and out.
* There are TONS of pockets, especially for its compact size. Really love the zipper water-bottle pocket!
* The tote bag is huge. It's a little thinner than I'd have liked; but, for light extras, it should be perfect. I also like the attachment strap on the back of the bag, that you can slip over the handle (nice when you need to make that mad-dash through an airport.)
* I only got 1 of the small, blue "pouches;" but, I'm not too worried about it. Outside of perhaps holding dirty laundry, I'm not really sure what it'd be used for (velcro, no zip, thin material, etc...)
* The photos make the pieces seem to be champagne in color; however, the color description of khaki is much more accurate. I would have loved a champagne, but I'm still happy with the coloring and enjoy the contrast between the khaki fabric and black trim/zippers.

I'm excited to see how it fairs once I pack and travel for the first time. Out of the box, I'm pleased.
11 comment125 of 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2013
I bought this for a good friend's retirement gift because it has been so highly recommended by others we know. The price was fantastic, and the added travel tote was a real bonus!

The bag really does fit under the airline seat (either in front of you, or the one you're sitting on). It holds a bunch of stuff, and it negates having to use the overhead compartments.
0Comment93 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2013
I purchased this for a recent business trip and was quite pleased with the roominess of the main cavity. I had room for 3 days worth of clothes plus a pair of shoes. It fit easily under the plane seat and the handle height was perfect for wheeling through the terminals.
0Comment85 of 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2013
I was easily able to put this bag under the seat in front of me & was able to pull it out as needed during the flight. Love the bag.
0Comment52 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2014
I shop carefully & chose this bag for its good reviews. On the upside, it is perfect size for a carry-on; it fits underneath the seat, and is also easy to lift and fit into the overhead compartment. It carries a laptop & enough clothes for an overnight. However, on only my second trip, the back strap (which allows you to stack on top of another suitcase) detached, with no way to repair. Because I travel infrequently, it was too late to return, although it gotten very little use. As I've continued to use, I am less and less satisfied. The wheels are fine on indoor airport carpet, but not on sidewalks or across parking lots. Since I can no longer stack on another bag, this has become noticeable. The inner space is not divided up, which means if you unzip the bag in flight, everything is apt to come tumbling out. This is because the bag sits upright and when upzipped, the front flap falls forward with no compartments to contain the items inside (it's fine when you lie it on its side, but if you are storing under your seat and want to access during flight, it's a problem). Because I am on a tight budget and travel only a handful of times per year, I am continuing to use as it is serviceable, but will replace when I can afford.
0Comment56 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2014
Perfect bag! Worked well for a two week trip to Europe! No need to struggle with the overcrowded bin as it fits perfectly under the seat! The secondary bag is great too. This is an excellent bag for the well planned light packer!
review image
0Comment51 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2009
I have now changed my review. This bag is not wearing as well as the first bag I have of the same type. The first bag is still good, however this bag is falling apart . . . the handles are coming apart from the seams and the zippers are very fragile. The wheels are wobbily. The pull handle is has too much wiggle. [Old review: This is the second bag I have purchased . . . I LOVE IT that much.] I have another one in red. Packs a lot, rolls easily, surprises everyone with the ease at which I travel . . .very light. The extra bag has a back strap that holds it securely to the rolling bag . . . no flipping as you are wheeling. To enhance the volume to be packed, I also use space bags (not the vaccuum kind) to really pack a week's worth of clothes for a cruise. Gowns pack easily in the back up bag. This bag is a charm!
0Comment93 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse