VINE VOICEon August 12, 2012
A few years back, Travelpro split its luggage lines into two series: The "CrewX" series is designed to be pretty and marketed to consumers, while the "FlightCrewX" is designed to be rugged and is marketed directly to pilots and crew. The "Crew9" series is the newest version marketed to consumers and the "FlightCrew4" is the current version that is marketed to pilots and crew.

I bought the prior version of this bag, the Travelpro Crew 8 22 Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter before I came to this realization, and have been disappointed ever since. I hated the design of that bag. While it is light, it is much too flimsy to any kind of heavy duty use. Travelpro included a relatively cheap, but pretty design on the attachment strap and the short handle, both of which are sure to break with significant use. They've also rotated the axis of the long handle so as to make it harder to slide an extra bag over them. The front pockets are designed for appearance instead of utility, and so the zippers have a funny looking "U" shape and the pockets actually overlap, while being too thin to really hold anything. The nylon is a thin weave designed to have a nice "shine" instead of being resistant to damage.

I had a chance to inspect this new version at a luggage store. While different aesthetically, has all the same flaws, except that they have rotated the axis on the long handle back to where it should be.

I later purchased a Travelpro FlightCrew4 20" bag from an online store that caters to pilots and flight crew. What a bag! Nice sturdy ABS frame, real inline skating wheels, heavy duty handles with the axis in the correct direction, well-laid out pockets, padded laptop pocket, and heavy duty nylon -- and more than $40 cheaper! If you want to ensure that you can carry it on, avoid the 22" model, which is actually about 24" in length including wheels and handles.

I also own a Kirkland 22" suiter (available only at Costco), which is better than this one and only $99.00.

So, do yourself a favor: Skip anything in the Crew9 series (or any of Travelpro's consumer lines) and buy the FlightCrew4 from an online retailer or get the 22" Kirkland at Costco.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 20, 2013
I retired the first one after more than 1M flight miles.
The second one is still in great shape, and my son tried to take it to college; now he has his own.
Each version has distinct small improvements. The suit holder for the latest Rollaboard fits Long/Tall suits, and that is an important improvement.
For durability and function enabling uncompromised heavy travel use, this is the only bag to get.
on August 26, 2013
It was time to replace my carry-on bag and I wanted a good one. I travel light (very light) and for this two week adventure it was this and a backpack. Although the professional luggage from this vendor is the best since I travel less these days I took a chance on the consumer version. Glad I did, it worked fine, no zippers broke, and the suit feature worked better than I expected for my s***s and slacks. Never had an issue with any overhead compartments which was an issue with my old carry-on. Delivery only took a couple of days even though I live in Hawaii.
on April 29, 2014
Bought this suitcase for my dad's Christmas present as a newly hired Frontier Airlines employee. It's AWESOME!! It's super light-weight, has lots of compartments to put all his gadgets and a flip-out suit garment bag all in one. I thought he was just telling me he liked it because it was a Christmas gift, but he keeps sending me pictures of him using it in different cities and how well it's been working for various climates he's had to pack for. Yay! Best gift ever!
on January 29, 2014
I returned my bag after I measured the one they sent me (it seemed big) and discovered it was almost 24" tall. I have seen several overzealous gate agents at United airlines "sizing" and gate checking bags. As a photographer I cannot afford to have this happen, so I'm not taking any chances. I sent it back.

Not sure how Travelpro can call this a 22" bag.
on September 12, 2012
If you are looking for a piece of luggage that easily meets carry-on requirements I would recommend this bag. I refuse to check a bag anymore and have carried it on board with me on many flights and many different types of airplanes. My favorite feature is probably all of the extra handles on the sides and bottom, which makes it easy to lift into the overhead bins. It helps that is doesn't weigh as much as other suitcases too. I would recommend this bag.
on October 21, 2014
I have been borrowing an older version of this travel pro 22" bag from a friend of mine for several trips and decided it was finally time to buy my own. The bag I have been borrowing has seen over 500,000 air miles as my friend traveled professionally nearly 100% for work and was over 100,000 miles on multiple airlines some years. The bag saw the inside of nearly every international airport you can name all across Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and the US for over five years and it was for this reason I was borrowing it from my friend. HE SWORE BY TRAVEL PRO.

So, after trying his bag several times with my suit when I traveled, I pulled the trigger and bought my own. So far with 5 trips I have not been disappointed.

Pros:
~ Despite what the top review suggests, I don't see anyway in which this is less durable or rugged than the FlightCrew4 models or its predecessor models. So far mine has only seen a few trips, so a full study of its durability is underway, but for now I am confident it will last. I haven't been babying it, nor do I plan to; I am happy to see it dirty and worn like my friends.
~ I find the telescoping handle to be very well made. It feels sturdy and there is very little flex in the handle when fully extended. I also like that there are two heights because if you are tall like me, the extra handle extension makes rolling at a full walking pace easier. If you are shorter you can use the lower position.
~ I did find myself using the side and top fixed handles regularly when boarding the plane and shoving it into the over head compartments. You wont be able to roll it down the isle so this makes sense.
~ I like that the suit holder now uses velcro instead of using a zipper to attach it to the lid. I always found the zipper in the older bag to be more of a risk in long term durability.
~ the 22" size is just at the limit of what you can bring on board. I was able to fit a weeks worth of clothes, a pair of dress shoes, and my suit in this bag once I expanded the main compartment. HOWEVER! note that if the airline you are flying is particularly rigid on its carry-on size limits, once expanded this bag might not pass the test and you could be forced to check it.

Cons:
~ I find that the two front pockets are essentially useless outside of stashing papers or very thin items. Certainly, due to the lack of padding, they are not an appropriate place for a laptop. It really depends on how you travel, but I tend to keep anything small and paper-like (boarding pass, passport, reservation paperwork) on my person, not in the bag, so for me I don't see any need for the pockets but to collect clutter. Depending on your use, you might find them to be more workable.
~ Can anyone explain to me what the tiny pocket on the side is for??? I am adding that as a con because I have no idea what the heck I am supposed to use that little pocket for?
~ This is the case with every roller bag, but the telescoping handle mechanism actually takes up a fair bit of the internal storage space. Careful packing is required to take back some of that space and get the most bang for the buck.
~ Straight wheels... I prefer them usually because I find them to be more stable, but I have run into a few circumstances in tight security lines or while boarding where the spinner style wheels would be nice. That isn't truly a mark against this bag because there is a similar version offered by TravelPro with spinner wheels, but its something to keep in mind.
~ I found the straight shape of the handle to be somewhat awkward. There are two thin rubberized pads and it seems evident TravelPro made some attempt at shaping the handle for ergonomics. However, it wasn't working for me, I kept having to adjust my hand and find a new position to pull the bag along. It just didn't feel natural no matter how I tried. A z-shaped handle would be nice since the natural alignment of you hand is with the thumb forward, not to either side. Again, very few bags have this and its not a deal breaker for me as most the bags time is spend lying flat while I sleep on a plane.

Overall, I after my friends experience and now my own, I trust this Travel Pro 22" bag will last me many years and many miles. The few cons I have noticed are merely small nitpicking details which don't truly effect the usefulness of the bag. I have no problem recommending this bag with confidence to any other travelers looking for a quality carry-on bag.

Update 06/15/2015:

The bag is still running strong. I haven't seen any signs of wear or damage after several more trips--some checked and some carry on. Also, my friend informed me the small side pocket is for a water bottle? Useless...
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2012
I was trying to choose between this suitcase and the 20-inch version that has a laptop pocket instead of a suit bag. I picked this one mainly because it goes to the maximum length allowed on most domestic flights. I think my optimal bag would be 22" or 20" and combine both the removable suit bag in the 22" version and the laptop pocket in the 20" version.
on February 17, 2013
This is a great size for a couple nights or an overnight, and the quality and features of the bag look great. Especially for this price. I was completely doubtful about the "suiter" but it worked really well ... I only used it for shirts, pants and sweater, and just did a minimal iron touch-up to get them ready to go. The materials look good, but what I really want to know is: Why does it tip forward?

I suppose it depends on how you load it, but you and I do not have time to sit around in a hotel room racing home thinking about how to pack our bag and keep it upright. There's a big fat pocket in the front, perhaps you aren't supposed to put anything in it that weighs much?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this bag due to the tipover issue. I returned a different TravelPro because it tipped forward and shattered my glasses in the front pocket... This is better, but still tips.

Incidentally, TravelPro's whole reputation is based on the idea that flight crews use these bags. They use a completely different line from Travelpro, and those bags are more durable, although a bit stripped down and with a different finish. Google flightcrew4 if you're interested.
on February 8, 2013
My Crew 4 essentially fell apart after 8 years on the road. I looked around for a while, but settled on the 9. And that's exactly how I feel: I settled.

Pros: looks good, great wheels, handle is improved, seems well built

Cons: the suit insert is offensively bad, storage space is reduced by handle mechanism, limited color options

The suit insert is the worst. In the 4 it was far superior. I have removed it from my 9 and now just fold my suits and shirts. They may actually get less wrinkles now, but it certainly takes longer to pack.