Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on December 30, 2012
This suitcase gets 5 stars because it has fulfilled and exceeded my two qualifications for a new suitcase: 1) it pushes the boundaries of what is allowable as a carry-on suitcase--but definitely passes through the gate 2) it is super lightweight.

To expand on this suitcase's "qualifications," let me provide some background. I frequently travel abroad for work--often on 2-3 week trips and am an avid avoider of checking any bags due to a recent uptick in certain airlines losing my luggage or failing to transfer it to connecting flights. I will now sacrifice an extensive choice of wardrobe in favor of my clothes actually arriving with me at my destination. After reading reviews, this suitcase appeared to fit the bill for my aforementioned 2-point inspection:

1) I recently returned from a 2-week international trip which included 8 foreign and domestic flights--the bag was able to be carried-on for ALL of these flights without question from gate agents or flight attendants. I was able to pack everything I needed for this 2-week trip in this bag.

2) This bag is incredibly lightweight--without any contents it feels virtually weightless. Even being stuffed with my 2-week wardrobe--its lightweight structure held up. There is a notable difference in the ease of lifting the bag into the overhead compartment.

I have only one criticism of the bag that would warrant a rating of 4.5 stars if that were an option. For all my praise of the bag's featherweight qualities, the handles are quite bulky. I can tell that the designers did everything in their power to minimize weight (durable yet lightweight fabric, minimal metal trim etc)---however, in favor of minimizing metal fixtures--the handles are big and spongy and make for a crooked ride down the cabin aisle with the large handles bumping into armrests.

That being said--this criticism in no way makes me regret this purchase and I look forward to many more bag-checkless flights in my future.
11 comment| 303 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2012
I got one for my husband and another for myself. It is very well-made and super lightweight. The handle does extend plenty and is sturdy. We hung all the extra bags from the handle to make carrying easier. I was worried that it was too big for a carry-on after it was stuffed and expanded, but in 4 airports it was never questioned. Everyone else had them too, and it fit into the over-head no matter which way it was turned.
22 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
I just returned from a week-long trip to central Europe that involved 6 flights, 2 train rides, and at least 6 cab rides with my luggage. I did the entire trip with only this carry-on and a laptop bag. This carry-on is VERY light, holds a lot of stuff, and so far has been durable. The handle that pulls out to multiple lengths is a nice plus, I was able to pack a week's worth of clothes into this and the laptop bag, and I still had a little room for gifts on the way back. I flew on four different airlines (United 767-300, British Air A320, Austrian Air A320, and Austrian Air B400), and this carry-on was accepted at all of them. On the Bombardier 400, I had to gate-check the bag, because the overhead bins on this small turboprop could not hold this bag, but that was true for many of the carry-on bags that people were carrying. This is now my "go-to" bag for air travel. As long as this bag is durable for several years, it will be a winner.
on January 31, 2013
The suitcase is very light and I like that the handles are padded and located on 3 sides, which makes it easier to get in and out of overhead bins. I also liked that the front pocket had plenty of room for my 17" laptop. However, I'm a woman who tends to overpack and I like to push the boundaries of what's allowed to be carried onboard. It's 22" from the wheels to the top, but the front part with the legs is more like 20.5". It's not very deep and the expansion only gave another inch. I purchased a 21" Samsonite spinner from TJ Max ($80) that actually ended up being bigger even without the expansion. Overall, I would recommend the Travelpro, and I would have kept it if it had expanded a couple of more inches.
on July 9, 2013
I purchased two of these and returned them both. Amazon was fantastic and I appreciate it. As for the suitcase, I was so disappointed with this product. For 33 years I was a flight attendant and swore by Travelpro. I loved the lightweight feature and was very pleased with my purchase until I used it. This suitcase constantly tipped over and the handle would not extend without a struggle when packed fully. The final issue was the zippers !! When packed, the teeth of the zippers easily pulled apart. When leaving Europe we had to have the airline put tape around our bags so they would not open.
on December 19, 2012
I chose this suitcase because I wanted a light carry-on for business trips. I was pleased with the weight and that I was able to pack it for a week of business travel. I was disappointed with the handle. When it was empty I was able to telescope the handle fully - no problem. For the first few days of the trip, when the bag was packed, I was unable to extend the handle fully. This was very aggravating as I couldn't stack a second bag on top, and I'm tall so it was uncomfortable. I even asked some bellhops to take a look at it, thinking they had extensive experience with bags. They also struggled and were unable to extend it. I was able to finally make it extend by taking all clothes out, extending the handle, and then packing again. After I did that twice, then the handle extended, even when packed.
on September 27, 2012
I travel on a pretty regular basis, and I hate checking bags so it was very important for me to have a good carry-on. This bag is super light, so even if I fill it up, it's easy to lift and stow in the overhead bins. The inside has pocket along the side, and there is one large mesh pocket on the inside of the flap. There's a single front pocket, and the top half opens. It's perfect for putting your laptop, small purse, bag of liquids, etc. in there for easy access. There's even a small pocket inside there as well. For the price, it's an incredible value.
on March 31, 2013
While I appreciate the light weight of this bag, when you slide a handbag, garment bag, or carry-on bag over its handle--like we do with our other Travelpro roll-aboards, the bag tips over. Bummer. Seems a small point, but when traveling, it really makes a difference in convenience. Our other Travelpro luggage stands straight even if expanded and top-loaded with another bag.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2013
I really like how light this bag is. I used this and a small overnight bag for a two week trip to Italy where we stayed in 7 hotels, traveling by train to get from city to city so it was handy to have a light bag to schlep around. It managed cobblestone sidewalks really well. The only downside I found to the bag is if you fill it tight the handle is hard to extend fully. I found leaning it forward plus a good swift kick to the mid-back of the bag did the trick...much to the amusement to fellow train goers when I extended the handle part way and then asked my daughter to "just kick it" so I could roll it down the aisle.

I am a woman and I was traveling in the dead of winter in Italy so the bag was packed pretty full. I was using the eBags Packing Cubes - 3pc Set with clothes rolled up tight so it was fairly dense up against the handle track inside the bag I guess.

Other than the extension issue with a really densely packed bag it's a great little suitcase that fits easily in overhead bins on planes and trains.
on March 27, 2013
This seemed like a very nice light bag so I bought it. One very poor design is the handles are not against the back of the bag. There is a pretty good space between the back and where the handles are. This creates a big waste of space and also prevents you from putting very large items in the bag. Maybe they thought they needed to do this to protect it but I would rather have a bag that weighs another pound and has the handle where it should be. I sent mine back.