5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and beats the competition
Published 20 months ago by DD

Published 9 months ago by djk1940

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and beats the competition, December 23, 2012
I purchased the black "spinner" version of this luggage. The quality is great and it is indeed light (just 8.6 lbs, while the rollaboard version (i.e., (non-spinner is even lighter at 7.6lbs). You just have to compare the weight and quality at its price point with the competition and you will see that it blows them away. I actually compared several brands at the local department store. By the way, this luggage (in black) looks just like what you see pilots and flight stewardess carrying on board aircraft. That's perhaps why Travelpro holds itself out to be "the choice of flight crews (and frequent travelers.")

I am happy that I found great value by finding a great quality product at a good price.

Update as of July 2013:
After using the luggage for awhile, I can say that I would definitely prefer the 2 wheels rather than four for the following reasons:

a) It is difficult to keep a 4 wheeler stationary in one spot. On any surface that is slightly curved, it will automatically slide to the lowest point and this is frustrating especially if you just want it to stay put.
b) I find it easier to drag a two wheeler than to slide a four wheeler.
c) The 2 wheeler is 7.4 lbs vs 8.6 lbs for the 4 wheeler
d) I can't justify a higher price for the 4 wheels based on a) b) and c) above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved almost 5 pounds at airport weigh-in, February 22, 2013
I average buying luggage of various sizes every 2 years or less. I have owned Delsey, Atlantic and Travelpro rolling bags and find their quality to be similarly matched. Weight and packability seem to be defining features between them. I require a larger bag for business travel of more than 7 days so when my much loved Delsey's wheels were smashed in transit, I looked to Delsey for a replacement. In the process, I found this Travelpro Maxlite 25" side-by-side at a local retail store. The bags were very similar except for the unpacked weight difference between them. Buying through Amazon saved on both MSRP and the sale price in retail stores. Travelpro's squared and deep design made packing a breeze. I pack nearly the same items each trip so it's easy to compare. Weigh-in at check-in was nearly 5 pounds less than the bag I replaced. I was delighted by the ease of moving the bag effortlessly through the arrival airport, up escalators, on to elevators and through the hotel to my room. The wheels seem to be a big improvement on this roller. I used the mesh packing feature for my dress shirts and was pleased to see they came through with fewer wrinkles than expected. I am rating this product after one trip. My only concern is the exterior ballistic fabric is different than most bags. Time will tell how well it holds up after the first 5 or so trips. If past performance is any guide, I expect the bag to hold up well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lightweight Suitcase, January 30, 2013
As the airlines have become increasingly picky about the 50 pound weight limit I have had to replace several pieces of older TravelPro Platinum Series luggage (which weighs twice as much) and were really meant for the older 70 pound per bag limit. The Maxlite series has really fit the bill. Despite the light weight it has proven sturdy on several trips and is really amazingly light. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Platinum series which had multiple exterior pockets, built in suit/dress valets and felt like it was built like a tank, but the Maxlite has enough features to be quite functional. In the end, the extra 7-8 pounds gained in packing space over the old luggage has proved to be invaluable and sturdiness has not at all been a problem so far despite the lightweight feel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Existing Legs are Vulnerable: Suggested Leg Replacement If or When they Break, October 28, 2013
djk1940 "Don" (Asheville, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 2 25" Expandable Rollaboard (Accessory)
Like two other reviewers experienced, one of the legs broke off this luggage the first time I used it. It now appears obvious to me that, given the way the airlines throw luggage around, these legs are more vulnerable than legs on other luggage because of their length and lack of strength. So rather than seeking a replacement leg that would be just as vulnerable, I used deck wood screws to replace both legs with a 2x2 (measures 1.5"x1.5") piece of lumber about 17" long and painted black. I drilled out the exiting screws and used both the existing holes (screwed in from inside the luggage) and drilled 4 more holes for a total of 8 screws attaching the new leg-bar, making a stronger base and support while adding only 0.7 lbs to the weight of the luggage...still lighter than most other luggage this size. See the picture I added to this site...the luggage still looks attractive, yet much less likely to break again. Other than the broken leg problem, the luggage seems sound. I especially liked the large, rubber rimmed wheels making the luggage easy to pull even on rough sidewalks.

Travelpro: Doesn't it seem obvious you could make this luggage better using a bar rather than two independent vulnerable legs?

Update: The leg repair survived an even longer trip, together with the newly purchased OGIO Luggage Frenzy 25-Inch Bag. If you can get by with about 10% less luggage space than this Travelpro, I'd recommend the Ogio luggage over the Travelpro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and roomy, April 3, 2013
Carol Page "musical theatre fanatic" (Florissant, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very lightweight, easy to handle bag. And super roomy - just got back from 2 weeks in China with it, and it survived beautifully. I can't recall any other suitcase where I actually had left over space at the end of the trip. I should have bought more souvenirs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of luggage, January 22, 2013
We have already been on one trip with this piece of luggage and it held up very well. We have owned other pieced of Travelpro in the past and we were not disappointed with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am impressed..., May 25, 2013
This is a great size suitcase, very lightweight for the overall size. Held more than enough for 1 week travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of room...., April 28, 2013
for more than enough clothes for a 15 day cruise. With 4 pair of shoes for walking, sandles & dress and dressy clothes for dress-up dinners I still had room to bring home souveniers and "extras" I picked up along the way. I do wish I had gotten the four wheeled spinner as it would have made it a little easier to handle in tight spaces/crowded airports but overall it was exactly what I wanted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken Feet on First Use, March 20, 2013
I just returned from a trip that included flights from Charlotte NC to Managua, Nicaragua, and from Managua to Belize City. I bought this suitcase specifically because I've had good success with Travelpro products. Thus, I was shocked to see that when I picked up my baggage after the first leg of my trip that one of the plastic feet on the bottom had broken off. (The total weight of bag and contents was about 48 pounds.)This was a major irritation because it meant the bag no longer would stand upright. Then on the Managua to Belize City flight, the OTHER foot broke off. Now the suitcase is at least symmetrical, but it still won't stand up. There is absolutely NO excuse for a luggage manufacturer to offer a product on which such damage occurs so easily. There is an obvious design flaw here, or perhaps the Chinese manufacturer used inferior plastic parts. In any case, I am very disappointed with Travelpro and will have no choice but to look elsewhere for a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific suitcase, March 14, 2013
This far exceeded my expectations. It is very lightweight and strong. It holds A LOT, and rolls easily. Definitely a great value.

Travelpro Luggage Maxlite 2 25" Expandable Rollaboard