Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Travelpro Luggage WalkAbout LITE 4 20-Inch Expandable Wide Body Spinner, Blue, One Size
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size: One Size|Color: Blue|Change

on October 28, 2011
I've literally got a million miles on my samonite 22" hardshell suitcase. It's pretty beat up, so time for a new suitcase. The widebody looks like a great idea, as the 22" doesn't fit in all overheads wheels first.
I looked at the Briggs widebody, but I thought it was a bit pricey, and thought I would try the travelpro.

Got it last Friday, and left for a trip on Saturday for a week.

I like the zippers - seem to be quite good.

The handle worries me a little. It seems to be a tad flimsy, a lot of side to side movement. It looks like it could bend, thus making extensions and putting it back hard. Just a worry, nothing in only a week - and 8 flights.

HOWEVER, the external pockets extend over the front of the suitcase, and therefore over the front of the wheels. The bag wants to naturally tip over, not spin. I had a weeks worth of clothing in the bag, which caused the front of the bag to extend slightly over the wheels, and the only thing I had in the front compartments were my charging cords, 2 for my phones, 1 for my laptop, and 1 for my GPS - so definitely not much in the front.

I did NOT have it in extended mode - that would have been much worse.

I can't count how many times it tipped over on its own.

If I could, I would put slightly larger wheels on the front to make it lean slightly back to keep it from tipping - don't think it would take much.

So only a weeks worth of travel - but 8 flights, and I think it's not bad so far, but the tipping things got to be fixed.
on November 28, 2011
After hearing great things about Travelpro, and the desire to have a spinner (large heavy laptop to put on top), I decided on this 20" walkabout lite 4 spinner. I purchased it from another retailer, but know many searchers come to Amazon in hopes of reviews.

Upon removing the bag, I spun each wheel to see how easy they moved. I was sorely disappointed in the friction I encountered on one of rear (larger) spinner wheels. The others seemed to spin "OK", but not extremely smoothly. I set the carry-on on the ground and started walking around with it (while empty). I had a hard time moving it in the directly I desired and found it more prone to want to tip rather than spin, like the other review mentioned. I thought to myself, maybe it needs some weight to make the wheels want to move in the correct direction. It did not help. I had just as hard of a time with the suitcase fully loaded with clothing and a laptop.

I decided to remove the wheel with the most friction to see how it was setup. I found out that the plastic housing has a large washer, ring bearing, another large washer, and then plastic again. It was held in using a wood type screw (read course screw) with a smaller washer on which it pivots. See the picture above to see what I'm talking about. It appears this method would work well, but the smaller washer and screw head that rest on it continuously rubs against the plastic and can act as a snapping point for the wheel if it is caught on something.

The quality of everything else in the bag was great. The inside is spacious and has convenient compartments. If you're looking for a Travelpro, I may look elsewhere, or may not look at them at all if you're interested in a spinner carry-on.
review image review image review image review image
on September 26, 2012
I just got off the phone with TravelPro support. I bought this bag last October (11 months ago) and it has done me good, despite the fact that one of the wheels never really touched the ground (wound up being a three wheel spinner). It worked well for me until last week. One of the pins (or screws) that keep the retractable handle together came out, thus the hand was hooked on by one of the extensions, not both and I had to put a paper clip through the hole in order to get it to work okay. Even before this, the handle would not go down all the way (the bottom extension would get stuck in an up position).

Anyways, I called support and they want me to ship it to them for them to evaluate the warranty on it. I think it's not good practice for a company to expect the customer to pick up the dime for shipping. I can see if they said, if we agree it's warranty we will reimburse you for the shipping, but their stance is, customer pays for shipping to the repair facility.

I have typically used Dakota (an old Tumi lower line) and Victorinox which all lasted me years and years without issues and when issues did occur, long after warranty ended, they still provided fixes for me free of charge.

I guess TravelPro was the wrong purchase for me.
on November 6, 2014
Wish it had a few more pocket or something for organization. It's ridiculously light. It has a tendency to tip forward though, probably why they discontinued this specific line, it's somewhat annoying. But otherwise it's built well.
on February 26, 2013
Wanted a spinner and the wide body was a good choice. Spacious, fits most if not overheads with the wheels. Appears to be well constructed. However, the luggage wants to fall forward ("Tips" over, especially when front pockets are full. I believe this is caused by the way the luggage is designed. TravelPro advertises that the larger rear wheels make the case easier to handle. However, with smaller front wheels, the case tends to lean forward and the center of gravity is forward. It easily falls forward with the slightest force and beware on escalators. The case will fall forward and down the escalator unless you have it facing the other way and hold on to it firmly. I am not an expert but I believe they need to add the same size wheels on the front and the back to even out the bag and balance the bag to prevent this out of balance condition.
on April 24, 2013
I have had excellent experiences with other Travelpro luggage. I have four other pieces. The problem with this one is the alignment of the wheels--the spinner aspect. Not all wheels spin freely, and only three of the wheels are in contact with the ground unless the suitcase is very heavy. Thus, the suitcase does not track straight and needs to be guided like a broken shopping cart. The upside is that the wide-body construction of the suitcase itself is spacious and can hold more than most other carry-ons.
on October 14, 2015
Fantastic travel luggage! I travel weekly and have used this bag for a couple of years until it was destroyed by the airline. In my replacement search I went to stores and compared the interior of many other brands but nothing compared. Glad to have another one. My wife also the same "wide-body".
on June 14, 2015
I would never buy another product from this company. On day 1, the tabs on the zipper broke. Then a pin in the handle went missing. Now a wheel fell off. Nice idea but poor product outcome for me.
on August 5, 2014
Handle would not stay up. Very frustrating!! Took to repair shop since we could not return. Would not recommend or re-order same product.
on August 25, 2014
Tips over easily but the size is great. It's our second one cuz handle broke on first one