Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoor Deals on HTL

on January 11, 2011
I used to have a cheap 3-piece Wal-Mart set of luggage. Eventually the wheels broke, zipper pulls fell off, etc. I read several travel forums looking for brand recommendations, and Travelpro came up several times. This is an amazing piece of luggage. The wheels roll soooo smoothly and quietly, and overall it feels extremely well-made and durable. My girlfriend had to buy a new suitcase a few weeks after me, and had told me that she just didn't care that much about those things. I talked her into this same suitcase, and she loves it. We both admit that it's a really lame detail, but it's one of those things you don't realize you really appreciate until you have it.
I really like the fold out panels that pack your garment bag (my suit has come out wrinkle-free each time). It also comes with a thick plastic quart size zip bag for liquids. The size is right, I've been able to carry it on every time without any problem, even when the expansion zipper is unzipped. I don't feel like I need anything smaller, or anything bigger. Macy's had an exclusive on the moss color of this piece that looked really great, but it was $150. Gotta love amazon for saving me $50 off retail costs. Also, the hunter green color is subtle, but different enough to spot on a baggage carousel.
If I ever need another piece of luggage, I'm buying Travelpro.
on October 31, 2010
The walkabout is perfect for a short trip. My only complaint is that it's bigger than 22". My suitcase had to be gate checked because it did not fit in the overhead bin of an older US Air plane (that seated 3 on each side - it was a decent sized plane). It also had to be turned sideways to fit on a different flight. Only on one plane could I push this roller in and have the door close over the wheels. That's very disappointing.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2010
I purchased this suitcase to replace my favorite carry-on rolling bag that had worn out after many years' use. I took my first trip with it to The Netherlands, and was very pleased with its performance. I used four of those plastic bags that compress clothing, and was able to pack everything I needed for an 11-day stay into this suitcase, plus my shoulder tote bag. It seems quite sturdy and handled very easily. The two outside pockets are handy, and I like the two small mesh zippered compartments inside the suitcase--they made it easy to store and retrieve my cell phone charger, reading light and other small items. The zip-open water bottle storage on the outside of the suitcase did not seem very useful--it would only accommodate a very narrow water bottle. I removed the suit carrier (it zips out easily), which gave me a bit more room for packing. The handle extends more than most, which is important to me, as I am over 6 feet tall. The wheels can be removed and replaced, which was an important feature for me as the wheels on my previous bag wore out and could not be replaced. The only thing to bear in mind is that it is marginally carry on sized. I was able to carry it on to my U.S.-based flights, but was required to check it overseas when I flew on a British airline, as their carry on dimensions are slightly smaller than that in the U.S. I am quite satisfied with this product and recommend it.
on May 19, 2010
I am a flight attendant and work on the smaller jets with the small overhead compartments. This bag fits wonderfully!
on May 17, 2011
This is the second Travelpro suitcase I have owned. The first one lasted a couple of years with heavy use before it started showing any signs of wear. Ultimately I had that suitcase for over 8 years, and I travel every week for work. This suitcase is different. I have only had it a couple of months and already one of the zippers has broken off. It is definitely more cheaply made than my previous suitcase. I am disappointed that the quality of their products has decreased over time. I still recommend Travelpro luggage, as they still have a great reputation, but I would stay away from this particular model.
on January 15, 2012
Compared this Travel Pro to 4 other rollerboard carry-ons side by side in the store and this one beat them all. Having said that, you will need to gate check if flying regional jets except possibly the larger Embraer 170/190/195 jets with 2X2 seating if you dont "expand" the bag. On an MD80 or B717 it will fit with wheels to the side. On almost all other large jets you're good to go. The detachable suit insert is a great feature for when needed. You'll have enough space to pack for a 3-4 night business trip or 1-week beach vacation. Good quality and held up great after first Asia trip.
on August 22, 2011
Literally, the plastic adornments that are part of the handle started falling apart on the bag's very first use (it didn't make it through the x-ray machine without beginning to fall apart!). Travelpro has gone down in quality over last few years--this is my second difficulty in the last 4.5 years--and I promptly returned this model. You're better off spending $40-60 less to get a similar quality bag. These bags are now made in China, and the lack of quality and workmanship shows--the handle itself does not retract as easily as it should, and the bag feels "cheaper" in construction than bags I have bought for much, much less.

The bag's external material (I had black) also easily blemishes on contact with surfaces, which was a further disappointment.

The suiter part of the bag is well-thought out. The front pockets become fairly worthless if you have the bag fully packed in the main compartment and are trying to use it as a carry-on and stow it in the overhead.

Also, this DOES NOT fit lengthwise into a Boeing or Embraer jet, except for the Boeing 737-800. I also suspect you may be challenged on an Airbus 319 or 320.

There is a reason you see flight crews and us road warriors with OLD Travelpros...because those were made with quality! Now they seem to be fighting to maintain a premium price level while skimping on quality.
on August 29, 2012
I do a lot of international travel and I have stopped checking bags, even for trips up to 10 days. I can pack everything I need, including two suits, in this bag and still carry on. It's light, sturdy and just the right size - any bigger and I would have to check it on all but the trans-ocean leg (on the widebody jets with bigger overhead compartments). I bought one three years ago and just bought another for my wife. The handle is long (i'm 6'4", so I need a long handle to avoid hitting my heels if I walk quickly in the airport) and sturdy (I have dragged the case fully loaded up more flights of stairs than I can count using only the handle and it hasn't snapped - yet).
on July 4, 2011
I bought this roller after reading a review on Travelpro's traditional line of suitcases. The review mentioned that Travelpro is used by many airline flight personnel. If anyone would know about quality luggage, it'd be flight attendants and pilots, right?

This suitcase is very versatile, fantastically light, and incredibly durable.

There are more versatile suitcases out there, but this one has the full range of standard options. It unzips to expand about 2 inches in depth. It has a great suit/dress shirt trifold in the lid to keep everything adequately wrinkle free. The roller handle has two lengths for shorter and taller passengers. The wheels are actually rollerblade wheels (that roll like they have ball bearings).

The nylon fabric and heavy duty zippers have never given me any grief - despite my repeated abuse. I travel a lot for work and pleasure and this has been the best suitcase I have ever owned - even after almost 18 months of abuse. I have walked 10 blocks at a time with this thing packed to the gills in NY - through damp summer heat as well as cold winter snow and ice.

Also, it is really really light. This helps as a carry-on when you're lifting it over your head to get into an overhead bin, or when you're packing it with heavy souvenirs and checking it in (so it doesn't contribute much toward your weight max).

**On my first trip with this bag, I actually asked my Jetblue flight attendant what brand of luggage the crew used (without mentioning my bag) and she confirmed that their entire crew used Travelpro.

BOTTOM LINE: Spend an extra $30-40 on this bag than a budget or on sale suitcase. It will be worth it for the way it cares for your possessions, how easy it is to use, AND how long it will last you.
on December 29, 2010
The handle doesn't collapse except with great difficulty and only by manipulating the aluminum shafts manually until they slide into the suitcase. These shafts are cheap, poorly made, and not soiid. For a manufacturer with the reputation of Travelpro, this suitcase is a disgrace. Someone should redesign the handle and have the Chinese manufacturer provide a better product to Travelpro. Sorry for the tirade but this suitcase is a great disappointment.