5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 13" Macbook Pro 2009!!!
Published on August 21, 2010 by H. Y. Nguyen

3.0 out of 5 stars an okay drive with high idle noise
Published on January 3, 2011 by Kin P. Lo

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for 13" Macbook Pro 2009!!!, August 21, 2010
H. Y. Nguyen (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HGST Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0S02858) (Personal Computers)
I bought this Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive to replace my 13" Macbook Pro (160GB) 2009. With some help from Ron(previous reviewer) and my brother-in-law, I was able to install it and now it is running perfectly. I notice this drive run faster and more quiet than my previous 160GB drive. My last drive also run very hot after an hour of use, I guess because of Aperture 3 and other photo editing softwares, but with this Travelstar, it is much cooler. I am happy with my purchase and will do it again if I have to. My next and final step is to install 4GB RAM into my 13" Macbook Pro.

Hope this helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars an okay drive with high idle noise, January 3, 2011
used this drive to replace the 160GB drive on a 2008 aluminum MacBook. The hardware portion of the upgrade was very easy and straightforward. I did have to reinstall OSX from scratch. Startup time of the laptop is significantly shorter than before, but it can be partially due to the fresh OSX install. It has been up and running for 2 weeks, so it is too early to comment on reliability. The thing that annoys me is that this drive is significantly noisier than the original Toshiba. There is a constant noise that resemble a fan noise (not the clicking noise that present when drive is reading/writing). I had the laptop running without the battery cover to expose the hard drive, using both the old and new drive, and confirmed that the noise is from the new drive and not the exhaust fan of the laptop. This noise is constantly present, even when there is no hard drive activity. However, I have to put it in perspective. The original Toshiba is SILENT when idle, so this new drive is obviously noisier than that. But it is not noticeable in a normal office environment. It is, however, very noticeable if it is at a quiet home and within typing distance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travelstar 7K500, August 6, 2010
Ron (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a fast, quiet and reliable Travelstar 7K500 drive in new retail packaging. Label on my drive indicates P/N: 0A72335 and my system enumerates drive as "HTS725050A9A364." Seems Hitachi markets these drives with various item numbers including: HD20500IDK/7K, 0S00157, H2IK5001672SP and 0S02858. I have three different retail boxes purchased over the past year or so and while they do have different item numbers they all contained drives with P/N: 0A72335. The packaging shown above seems to be the latest as of Aug-2010.

UPDATE: Sometime during the summer of 2011 Hitachi began shipping 500GB advanced format 7K750 drives in the same packaging as drives noted above and labeled with the same part number: 0S02858. Good news is that a 750GB, 7200RPM model is now available. Bad news is that older OS's and some cloning software may not "align" sectors properly for good performance. Hitachi offers an Align Tool on their web site to address this issue. I have no experience with these new advanced format drives, but felt I should update my review in light of recent changes to the product line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Built in Mac Book Pro, December 21, 2010
Eric Hoddenbagh (Urbandale, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this drive to replace a 150GB Hitachi drive in my MacBookPro. As soon as my MBP was out of warranty I wanted to upgrade since the original drive was full and was slowing me down. The replacement was super easy following the directions on FixYa.

The drive has made a huge difference in my MBP. Startup is faster, programs load faster, plus I have ample storage now. The 7,200 RPM makes a huge difference over the original drive. The new drive is quiet and works like expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in my early 2008 MacBook Pro 15", March 26, 2011
The internal Seagate 160GB 7200rpm HDD in my late 2007 / early 2008 MacBook Pro 15" bit the dust in February 2011. It was acting flakey the prior week so I became much more diligent at doing my SuperDuper backups daily to my external Firewire disk. Google SuperDuper if you need more info.

I initially replaced the failed Seagate drive in my MacBook Pro with a 5400rpm 500GB Western Digital Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II WD5000BEVT and although it worked OK, the WD drive seemed slow to respond at times when clicking on a program icon or even an email within my Thunderbird email client. I would often get the Mac spinning color wheel before a program would open. I doubt that this was due to the rpm speed differences between the drives. I'm not certain what was going on with the Western Digital Scorpio Blue drive but I am inclined to believe that there may be an aggressive power saving feature embedded and enabled in it's firmware causing it to spin down and stop frequently. I cannot verify this. Not having the software tools to check or disable it (if in fact that was the cause), I opted instead to try the Hitachi 0S02858 disk. I'm glad I did. It's so much better in this application.

The Hitachi disk responds immediately upon clicking a program icon or opening a document, reading an email, etc. No more waiting on that spinning color wheel before the disk responds. The Hitachi is also faster than the WD at opening and loading the application (excel spread sheets, word processing docs, PDF files, etc.) as it should be at 7200rpm vs 5400rpm. But again the biggest improvement is in it's initial responsiveness.

The Hitachi disk is also quiet. I can feel a very slight bit of vibration when I place my hand over the area where the disk is installed but this is not out of the ordinary and it's comparable to the slight vibration I felt with the original disk that was in my MacBook Pro.

My basic disk replacement steps:

Open the MacBook Pro. There are several pictures and video clips online that show you exactly how to do this. All you need is a T6 torx tool and a #00 Philips screw driver.

- Swap out the bad 2.5" SATA disk for a new one and reassemble the MacBook Pro.

- Boot from your external backup disk. You do have a recent bootable backup, don't you? I use SuperDuper to create my bootable backup but there are other popular programs. BTW, an external Firewire disk is so much faster than USB 2.0 but USB 2.0 will work if that's all you have.

- Once booted and logged in on your external disk, the Mac will alert you that you have an uninitialized disk in the system. It will ask if you want to initialize it. If you don't get this alert just run the Mac's Disk Utility to partition your new disk as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

- Now use SuperDuper (or your other favorite similar program) to re-clone your new internal disk with the contents from your external backup (which you are presently booted from). Depending on how much stuff you have, and if you're running USB or Firewire, this may take 20 to 30 minutes or so to well over an hour.

- Now boot normally from your internal disk.

- Spotlight may begin to reindex your files but once it's done everything should be back to normal.

Additional notes: Disk Utility reports this Hitachi disk as "Hitachi HTS725050A9A364 Media" which is consistent with what other folks here have mentioned. I can't speak to the reliability of the Hitachi disk as I haven't had it long but I am extremely happy with it's performance. It is quiet and contrary to other reports (possibly on Windows), I'm not hearing any odd clicking, calibrations, or other noises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hitachi verifies Ron's comments, October 25, 2010
Firstly, readers should know that I haven't yet tested this hard drive (HD). I have bought it last week from Amazon, but haven't opened it yet as I am currently debating whether to use this HD or return it in favor of another one (I am strongly considering the Western Digital Scorpio Black). I had to include a rating for this comment to be posted; I wanted to post this comment despite not actually testing this HD (0S02858) as it supports the comments of another reviewer, Ron, and, I think, provides some important information for those looking for a notebook PC internal hard drive and considering Hitachi among their options. I initially bought this HD to replace the recently- deceased HD in my Dell M1330 notebook PC based on a strong recommendation from an acquaintance on a notebook PC forum. The acquaintance actually recommended the Hitachi 7K500 500GB 7200RPM HD, but Amazon apparently did not carry that particular model. However, one of the previous reviewers, Ron, wrote in the comments section that this HD (0S02858) is actually the 7K500 and in fact Hitachi sells several HDs with different model numbers that are actually relabeled 7K500 HDs. After I purchased this HD, I found some information at another dealer that suggested this HD (0S02858) is a different model than the 7K500. I emailed Hitachi last week asking about this situation and received a very brief response that the 0S02858 is different from the 7K500.

As you may have noticed, Amazon sells 3 (at time of this writing; the number seems to vary over time) Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM notebook PC HDs with different model numbers, but otherwise seem identical. Again, Amazon does not seem to sell the 7K500. The Hitachi website lists only two HD models that are 500GB and 7200RPM, and none of the aforementioned three models. I emailed Hitachi again today after receiving their first reply and asked specifically if the three Hitachi HD models sold by Amazon (listed below, as well as in my 2nd email query to Hitachi) were indeed different from the 7K500 or if they were the same HD relabeled and repackaged. Within 2 hours, I received a 2nd, more detailed response from a Hitachi representative, "Art". I copied below his reply, and below it, listed the 4 Hitachi HD models (including the 7K500, bottom of the list) that I specifically listed in my email query:

"Hello Kenneth,
Thank You for contacting Hitachi GST Technical Support.
They are all essentially the same model and all carry our 3-year warranty, however
the part and model number mostly differ due to changes in retail packaging or possible firmware differences. You should expect the same performance and experience out of all of them. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
Best Regards,
Art
Technical Support Specialist
1.888.426.5214 Toll Free
8 AM-6:30PM PST
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies"

Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S02858
Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 16 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S00157
Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0A72335
Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

In short, Hitachi has verified Ron's assertion that this Hitachi HD (0S02858) is the same as the 7K500 and that several other Hitachi models are also the 7K500 relabeled and repackaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good hard disk for playstation 3, April 21, 2012
Jose Fernandes (Caracas, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
I bought this harddisk as a expansion to my 120 gb original ps3 hard disk. Performance was improved and of course storage capacity. The hard part was to make the ps3 data backup to recover in the new hard disk but all worked a expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Slim Replacement, April 9, 2011
Just finished installing this HDD in my PS3 Slim and everything seems to be working fine so far. Both Downloads and Games seem to be installing a bit faster. I would recommend this HDD if you want to have more space. Great speed and space for the cost!

3.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect product description - They are sending Advanced Format drives, July 11, 2012
(Ordered June 13, 2012) One of the other reviews made this same point, and it is true. Amazon is selling the 7k750-500 as a 7k500. The difference is that the 7k750-500 is an Advanced Format drive. If you intend to use it in an XP computer, it is not compatible unless you download a special driver and you might also have to update your partitioning software. I didn't want to go through this trouble and expense so I returned this drive and purchased a 7k320 instead. There is a sticker on the drive that is about 1/2" square with a big "AF" on it indicating that it is and Advanced format drive. I could read it through the sealed plastic bag that the drive was in so I didn't even have to open it to decide to return it. I have always had good luck with Travelstar drives. My 3 star rating is really not for the drive but for the way Amazon lists it as being a normally formatted drive with 512 byte sectors when it really uses 4k sectors. Maybe they have fixed the description by now?

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Upgrade, May 15, 2013
Worked and fit perfectly as an upgrade HDD for my 40GB fatty PS3! It appears to be high quality, quiet, and operates at reasonable temperatures. Exactly what I wanted. Lovely!

Rate and Discover Movies