4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it would have been the whole service and/or on DVD, March 28, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ is a series of homilies that Fr. Barron gave at St. Patrick's Cathedral in 2012. Tre Ore stands for "Three Hours." This is a liturgical service that is held on Good Friday from noon until 3 PM, which remembers the time that Jesus hung on the Cross. The CD series itself is actually 90 minutes long and the contents are as follows:

Disc One

FIFTH: I thirst. 9:53
SIXTH: Father, into your hands I commend my spirit. 8:01
SEVENTH: It is finished. 7:27
CONCLUSION 2:54

I enjoyed these homilies. They were brief (ranging from 8 to 16 minutes), but poignant. For example, The First Word dealt with forgiveness. He touches on "turning the other cheek," and shows how this is a third possible response instead of "fight or flight." I particularly enjoyed The Second Word as this focused on St. Dismas the Good Thief. He was my RCIA saint, and he is largely forgotten in the Catholic world, despite being the first one to be granted Paradise. Topics addressed were sin, temptations, and addictions; how we use them to try and replace God and how it leaves us empty doing so. He also took the time to reveal a bit of his personality and how he is one who seeks glory, honor, and recognition. I could definitely relate to him there, and it was a nice wake-up call that these things can also be used to replace God if we let them.

In addition to the homilies, you get a little booklet with three to four reflection questions for each of the homilies. This booklet is glued to the CD case, which means you won't lose it unless you lose the CDs. However, it also means that you can't detach it, which made it a little inconvenient for me. Thankfully, the questions and answers can also be found on their website for easy printing. Overall, this was a very good program. I think it would have been great, albeit a bit more pricey, if it was a video recording that included hymns, moments of mediation, and the Way of the Cross like normally happens during the Tre Ore.

I received a copy of this from Word on Fire for free in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars very moving, March 17, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
This is a lecture -- or, better put, a long homily -- which Fr. Robert Barron of WordonFire.org gave at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York. In expands on the Seven Last Words of Christ, which are really seven phrases or statements made by Our Lord on the cross. Fr. Barron is a theologian with the touch of the popularizer. He's not the least bit political and is a mainstream Catholic preacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am glad I bought this!, March 27, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
Another great work by Father Barron. He has a gift for explaining things from the perspective of the first century people and then making it relevant for me, today. This is a very moving series of talks, and I appreciate the accompanying reflection questions. I will be gathering with a group on Good Friday to listen and reflect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Father Barron, April 22, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
This cd was great for Holy Week. Father Barron always give you a new perspective on what we believe. He is a wonderful thinker and speaker. I have listened to these talks a few times and will listen again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fr. Robert Barron, April 28, 2014
Richard Vega (Genoa, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
You do not have to be Catholic to appreciate Fr. Barron. This audio CD set are mediations presented at a retreat. We used them as a Holy Week reflections, I suggest one a sitting and time for prayer after each.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ, April 24, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
I chose this item because I wanted a closer feeling to Jesus during His passion time. The cd talks are very good and I would recommend them to all those who search for a closeness to Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Excellent, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
Truly enjoyed the book ... I highly recommend it to anyone. During this Easter season, this also serves as a good reminder of the overall sacrifice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insppirational, May 18, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
This is something every Christian should listen to during Holy Week to get oneself into the whole meaning of this most sacred time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Talk, May 15, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
Great talk for any one wanting to further their knowledge of Christ. I would recommned this to all Catholics wanting teachings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great work!, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ (Audio CD)
Fr. Barron knocked it out of the park with the Tre Ore. I listen to it randomly just to get insight and inspiration.

Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ
Tre Ore: The Seven Last Words of Christ by Robert Barron (Audio CD - February 21, 2014)
$29.95 $24.80